• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Zygarde formes and Ash-Greninja?

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
Years
  • I've been reading the Zygarde sections of the SM website and there's some interesting tidbits in it. Instead of saying Zygarde is the protector of the Kalos ecosystem like the original Dex entry from Gen 6, it says that "it's duty is to protect the Pokemon ecosystem". In the Cores and Cells section, it explicitly states that the Cores and Cells are scattered throughout the Alola region. I had speculated a few months back that maybe Zygarde's lore and role is more universal and covers all regions and not just belonging to Kalos, and it's starting to look like that will be the case in SM. It also opens up the door to an island-hopping expedition for the Cores and Cells that I had mentioned earlier.

Another tidbit is that each of Complete Forme's four wings and tail contains a Core. That means there's 5 Cores in total. I remember a few people had speculated that each of the 5 colors in its chest are Cores, and it may actually turn out that way.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I've been reading the Zygarde sections of the SM website and there's some interesting tidbits in it. Instead of saying Zygarde is the protector of the Kalos ecosystem like the original Dex entry from Gen 6, it says that "it's duty is to protect the Pokemon ecosystem". In the Cores and Cells section, it explicitly states that the Cores and Cells are scattered throughout the Alola region. I had speculated a few months back that maybe Zygarde's lore and role is more universal and covers all regions and not just belonging to Kalos, and it's starting to look like that will be the case in SM. It also opens up the door to an island-hopping expedition for the Cores and Cells that I had mentioned earlier.

Another tidbit is that each of Complete Forme's four wings and tail contains a Core. That means there's 5 Cores in total. I remember a few people had speculated that each of the 5 colors in its chest are Cores, and it may actually turn out that way.
    I was under the impression that the blue wings had one core, and the red wings another, while the tail had a third core. I guess it could be five. The cores could match with the colors it's chest 'mouth', well maybe the white one could be green to match it's tail color. I think that there might be six colors. 50% being up of three. Doesn't 50% have like 3 white spots? One on it's eye and two on it's torso?

I saw hints of Zygarde in OrAs. The effects of the green light that was emited from Origin Cave in OrAs match the theory of Zygarde being able to bring back extinct species, and not to mention that it revived Sootopolis and even left behind plants where there weren't any.
    It's possible that Origin cave is one of the caverns that Zygarde uses to monitor the ecosystem. If so then SM's Zygarde plot will further tie in XY and OrAs.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I saw hints of Zygarde in OrAs. The effects of the green light that was emited from Origin Cave in OrAs match the theory of Zygarde being able to bring back extinct species, and not to mention that it revived Sootopolis and even left behind plants where there weren't any.
    It's possible that Origin cave is one of the caverns that Zygarde uses to monitor the ecosystem. If so then SM's Zygarde plot will further tie in XY and OrAs.

That's interesting about the Sootopolis plants, I didn't even notice it. But that would make sense, because in the anime it's shown that Zygarde has the ability to regrow a damaged forest.

Years
  • That's interesting about the Sootopolis plants, I didn't even notice it. But that would make sense, because in the anime it's shown that Zygarde has the ability to regrow a damaged forest.

If you want to check it out go to Bulbapedia's page on the city, they have the map layout of Sootopolis prior to the capture of the Primal. Notice how the rooftops lack flowers?

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • If you want to check it out go to Bulbapedia's page on the city, they have the map layout of Sootopolis prior to the capture of the Primal. Notice how the rooftops lack flowers?

I just compared those images with a playthrough on Youtube, and sure enough, there were changes. Not only did flowers and shrubs appear on rooftops after the Cave incident, but there are also patches of what looks like bright green moss on some of the terrain ledges too.

Also, I'm now convinced moreso that green light that envelopes Sootopolis and shoots into the sky to stop the catastrophe didn't come from Rayquaza at all, but possibly Zygarde like you said. The rainbow coloring of the energy from both the Cave of Origin and Complete Forme's Core Enforcer move converting to the bright green are almost identical. If your theory is correct, I bet that green light from the Cave of Origin was Complete Zygarde using its Core Enforcer move. It would also fit a theory that I have about Zygarde being the embodiment of the natural energy that Infinite Energy is derived from.

Years
  • I just compared those images with a playthrough on Youtube, and sure enough, there were changes. Not only did flowers and shrubs appear on rooftops after the Cave incident, but there are also patches of what looks like bright green moss on some of the terrain ledges too.

Also, I'm now convinced moreso that green light that envelopes Sootopolis and shoots into the sky to stop the catastrophe didn't come from Rayquaza at all, but possibly Zygarde like you said. The rainbow coloring of the energy from both the Cave of Origin and Complete Forme's Core Enforcer move converting to the bright green are almost identical. If your theory is correct, I bet that green light from the Cave of Origin was Complete Zygarde using its Core Enforcer move. It would also fit a theory that I have about Zygarde being the embodiment of the natural energy that Infinite Energy is derived from.
    I also believe it's the embodiment of infinite Energy in addition to Natural Energy used in Primals. I also think it's link to the core of the Pokémon world. My theory is that Zygarde converts natural energy from the core and stores it as infinite energy within it's body until it need to unleash it again as natural energy to restore the eco system to a 'primal' or 'pristine' state. It'll link up what happened in Kalos to what occurred in Hoenn.
    Norse mythology kind of lends itself easily to the core part of my theory. The snakes live under the tree of Yggdrasil, below the base of the tree.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I also believe it's the embodiment of infinite Energy in addition to Natural Energy used in Primals. I also think it's link to the core of the Pokémon world. My theory is that Zygarde converts natural energy from the core and stores it as infinite energy within it's body until it need to unleash it again as natural energy to restore the eco system to a 'primal' or 'pristine' state. It'll link up what happened in Kalos to what occurred in Hoenn.
    Norse mythology kind of lends itself easily to the core part of my theory. The snakes live under the tree of Yggdrasil, below the base of the tree.

Not to mention Zygarde is part Ground type. If they are to implement Zygarde somehow into the story, main or post-game it doesn't matter, I think they're going to give Zygarde a similar role that Solgaleo and Lunala have; an emissary of the Earth. And IIRC the Earth's core is partly responsible for the gravitational pulling that occurrs between the Earth, sun, and moon. So in a sense, a relationship between Solgaleo, Lunala, and Zygarde could work story-wise.

I'm not exactly sure where the Tiki Guardians would fall into this, because we still don't know how or if they're connected to Solgaleo and Lunala.

Years
  • Not to mention Zygarde is part Ground type. If they are to implement Zygarde somehow into the story, main or post-game it doesn't matter, I think they're going to give Zygarde a similar role that Solgaleo and Lunala have; an emissary of the Earth. And IIRC the Earth's core is partly responsible for the gravitational pulling that occurrs between the Earth, sun, and moon. So in a sense, a relationship between Solgaleo, Lunala, and Zygarde could work story-wise.

I'm not exactly sure where the Tiki Guardians would fall into this, because we still don't know how or if they're connected to Solgaleo and Lunala.

The Earth's iron core produces the magnetic field of the planet too. For those that don't recall or didn't play FrLg or the Johto games, Team Rocket's research on evolution involved the impact of magnetic waves on Pokemon evolution. The evolution of Gyarados in Lake of Rage was induced by radio waves which I guess were made to emitate the magnetic waves a Pokemon receives/gives out during evolution. Now to tie this back with Zygarde, Zygarde is theorized by fans to have a connection to Mega Evolution. Mega Evolution is more or less an artificial evolution in which the Pokemon receives vast sums of energy which allows it to evolve. I think that the link has to do with magnetic waves. The brain also has magnetic waves in real life, so perhaps feelings are communicated to a Pokemon through the Mega Stones and Mega items. Sounds kind of hippieish, but I think at that instant theirs a connection between the Earth, the trainer, and the Pokemon. Primal Reversion on the otherhand removes the trainer. The rumored Synchro evolution could potentially be trainer and Pokemon only.

Years
  • I also am convinced in that idea, and it really makes you wonder what those colors in it's chest represent? I used to think those were cores, but after seeing on the official site that the wings and tail are the ACTUAL cores, it left me a bit confused there haha

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    In the Magearna movie, Ash does very similar poses to the trainers doing the powered up move poses in the Japanese SM trailer to activate Ash-Greninja. It's definitely related.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • In the Magearna movie, Ash does very similar poses to the trainers doing the powered up move poses in the Japanese SM trailer to activate Ash-Greninja. It's definitely related.

That's really interesting indeed. If it is related, I wonder if that means certain Pokemon in SM will gain different appearances. Although, there was no evidence of such a transformation in the trailer, it just showed powered-up moves being used.

But yeah, this essentially means that the XYZ anime is serving as a cross-Generational promotional campaign; it takes place in Gen 6, but Formes and battle mechanics of certain Pokemon will show up in Gen 7.

Years
  • Hm, it does make sense if the Zygarde cells are life energy that can connect to this new powered-up move mechanic in the games.

It helps with the fact that Zygarde is the only pokemon whose base HP changes between it's forms. The more cells it's accumulating, the more longevity it'll have.

During the livestream, they mentioned the name "Alola" is meant to incorporate a meaning of a land that overflows with life force and supports various forms of life. You know how "Gigareki" was filed differently than all the other trademark names? Well, the greek word for Giga is "giant", the word Reiki is made of two Japanese words - Rei which means "God's Wisdom or the Higher Power" and Ki which is "life force energy". So Reiki is actually "universal life force energy."
    And the fact that they mentioned that the starters and Iwanko have a "secret",well, I think Gigareki might be a new move mechanic where a fifth move could be facilitated by the diamond bracelet that the main players are seen wearing, giving the Pokemon an extra boost from the player. Considering that the topic every professor of a new region focus on is related to something introduced in the games that feature said region, this could mean that Kukui's interest for Pokemon attacks may indicate that the new kind of evolution that everybody is speculating about will grant Pokemon access to a fifth powered up move akin to what seems to be the case with Complete Zygarde.

Nobody expected Zygarde to have another signature move along with the Thousand moves, but lo and behold, here comes Core Enforcer. The animation suggests that this move is only accessible to Complete form, and the 10 and 50% won't have it until they transformed. I think Zygarde maybe the source of the natural phenomenon, and it seems that since the trainer is using these dance sequences that corresponds to the type of the pokemon, this is shown to be a more natural bond between trainer and pokemon than ME, which uses the lives of pokemon. PR is Groudon and Kyogre trying to absorb more power for their own advantages.

Complete form still carries off many aspects in the 50%'s design, which was based off an example of the Ouroborus in Norse myth,such as the chest-plate eyes,a tail, the red and blue appendages forms into snakes, and it's cry sounds like a higher pitched version of 50% form in the Sun and Moon trailers. The crown-like head is mostly the main control of the whole body. It has some sort of a third hexagonal shaped eye while the other two eyes don't have any pupils. It's as if 50% transformed into a perfect, ascended form. Even if the dog can transform into this, it felt better that 50% can transform. I guess there is a reason why in Japan it's called "Perfect Zygarde".

Years
  • So, a leak recently came out mentioned that Ash Greninja could be in the game. What do you guys think of this?

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    So, a leak recently came out mentioned that Ash Greninja could be in the game. What do you guys think of this?
    I don't find it very surprising, I find it moreso shocking that it seems like Greninja really is the only Pokémon capable of this, for now at least.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2018
    The official SM site has been updated. It now features Zygarde's core & forms in the Pokémon section. Zygarde will definitely be playing a role in the story, especially given the description "There are many more Cells than there are Cores, and they exist all around the Alola region".

Thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2018
    Honestly? It's hard to say. Maybe Team Skull's goal would be to go after the Zygarde Cells? Seems like a plausible way that they could be connected to the story, but then again, why would they do that in the first place? Hm.

Yeah, they seem more relaxed than Team Flare.

Years
  • The official SM site has been updated. It now features Zygarde's core & forms in the Pokémon section. Zygarde will definitely be playing a role in the story, especially given the description "There are many more Cells than there are Cores, and they exist all around the Alola region".

Thoughts?

That would actually be an interesting plot especially when you consider that Zygarde isn't even a 7th Gen Pokemon but does seem to hold some connection to Alola in a way. As Angie said, Team Skull could have a goal that involves trying to collect the Zygarde Cells and Cores, which you have to save from the team.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • At least we know Zygarde and its forms are available in S/M. At first I was thinking they would be either Gen VI or anime exclusive, so they must have some sort of role in the storyline in order to encounter them. They were pretty vague on the details when announcing those forms though, it's hard to say how they will fit into the games right now?

Years
  • Bumping this thread. Keep an eye on any further updates to see if either Zygarde or Ash-Greninja (lol) have any sort of mentions in the direct. I'm honestly thinking that Zygarde might just be a special legendary that you can just catch and that it would have no bearing on the plot whatsoever, but who knows. We don't know the plot yet, so the possibility's pretty much up in the air.

I'm thinking the same about Zygarde as you are, it likely will be a postgame legendary but since we know nothing from the game aside from new Pokemon and some characters it'll still be a point of speculation until release.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Pokémon specific Z-Moves definitely screams Ash-Greninja to me because of that giant shuirken. I wonder if they'll keep the form change with it, though...

Back