• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Moob Chat [now with 90% more Elf Gynecomastia. GO ON PO SERVER (ANNOUNCEMENT)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
  • Idk why it would be blocked but...I can't think of any place you'd find smogon's tier besides smogon lol.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • aaaaa 921 attack with Choice Band. I bet it wouldn't NU anymore :)

Unless they delete Stealth Rock my guess is whatever below NU is. Then again I just really don't want Flareon to get Flare Blitz since people whining for it are annoying and continuing to annoy them sounds like fun to me, especially when it doesn't solve Flareon's fundamental problem of being inherently useless.

Also the TM thing...thank goodness lol, I've had to restart and beat Pokemon XD/Colosseum at least five times apiece to funnel Earthquake into Emerald to get my Pokemon Earthquake. So annoying. With my vast fortune I might buy a DS and grab one of these.

Also it's about time they made Sturdy more useful, am I the only one who thought right away about Skarmory being basically guaranteed two layers of Spikes (outside of some impotent Taunt user coming in)? Sounds kind of cute.

I really just want to know who is going to be the Rhyperior/Rampardos of this generation so that in like three years we will all be making fun of how bad our theorymon was x)

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Daily Moob Chat [now with 90% more Elf Gynecomastia. GO ON PO SERVER (ANNOUNCEMENT)]

a light-hearted post to poke fun of people who don't read sets.

edit; so I was thinking about flygon today and its whole purpose of scarf was to basically be able to possibly revenge mence, revenge cm latias, outpace scarftran, etc. but I was thinking, since scarfrachi is kind of falling and other base 100s aren't that much of a threat since really only jirachi runs a scarf (sometimes Zapdos but its extremely rare), wouldn't it be better to not worry about possibly speed-tying with scarf jirachi and just lower your speed investment for some more SpAtk investment? I decided since Kingdra is becoming extremely common that would be the most important mon you should be concerned with, since every other DDer has lower base speed than it. So I opened up team builder and I did some calcs and stuff and this is what I found.

Kingdra with a Jolly Nature reaches 295 Speed, 442.5 after a DD. Flygon wielding a choice scarf only needs 136 Speed Investment to outpace it. This nets Flygon a whole 120 spare EV investment to use whichever way the user desires. I decided to put it into SpAtk for shits and giggles, and it makes a HUGE difference in Flygon's productivity.

Naive Flygon with 120 SpAtk Fire Blast v. Standard Skarmory: 57.5% - 68.3%. A garunteed 2hko even without rocks. It does 42.1% - 49.7% to 4/0 Jirachi with this EV spread. Unfortuantely, that particular Jirachi will outspeed you and can hit you with Iron Head or Ice Punch but you will dent it significantly.

As opposed to the standard flygon on smogon; 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA, Jolly nature only does 51.5% - 61.1% to Skarmory, not a 2hko without rocks (assuming skarm has lefties). It also does 38% - 45% to 4/0 Jirachi. The damage for jirachi is almost the same.

The real reason I think this is relevant is because we have all been in situation where you have lost an important mon or a match to a speed-tie. This negates all chance of speed ties, which can help or hurt. But you dont have to worry about sacrificing anything for a 50% chance to win a speed tie. As far as the impending speed creep argument goes, who gives a flying you-know-what. Some people are going to max out speed or just run 4 EVs to be jerks and slightly outpace the set, etc, bottom line is speed creep is not a valid reason for a set that still does what it needs to do.

Last edited:

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Well, firstly, Scarf Flygon and Scarf Jirachi are both very popular, particularly in (Smogon) tournaments. If you don't value the 50/50 chance to get the jump on them (which I do) and are running Fire Blast, by all means. If you're running all physical I wouldn't bother, though I suppose you could throw the EVs in HP; it seems a little wanton to me. Mixed Scarf Flygon isn't even always what people run :P Stone Edge is seen a fair bit.

As opposed to the standard flygon on smogon; 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA, Jolly nature only does 51.5% - 61.1% to Skarmory, not a 2hko without rocks

SR can be assumed. It's rare a good team won't use Stealth Rock, and spin blockers are also very popular. Yes, spinning is possible and stall will run a spinner or even two in the case of a certain player, but the general standard is to assume Stealth Rock due to its prevalence.

Also, not like it matters much what Fire Blast does to Scarf Jirachi, unless you're locked in late game. Earthquake does significantly more damage.

Note that your given EVs ensure Scarf Rotom-A outspeeds Flygon. Not something I really like, you can throw in more EVs to outpace it, I guess. There's also Scarf Roserade, but blah blah speed creep and it's very rare anyway (like 16% of Roserade)... though I'm using it right now, so by all means play me with your slowgon ^_~

I guess my point is, while I agree with you, and if you're running mix Scarf def. consider it, it's not as cut and dry as that. Battles often come down to speed ties and Skarmory can be lured and killed anyway. I'd rather win the speed tie against other Flygon when I'm locked into Outrage, or be able to EQ Jirachi in a pinch. That's just me though.

ETA: Celebi and Shaymin run Choice Scarf. Both suck to lose to.

ETA2: I guess you can just use this article to decide what you're fine with losing to.. I like being assured that I get the jump on Adamant (lol) Scarfers, the pivotal speed ties with other +100 Scarfers, and just random stuff like Choice Scarf Roserade. But the assured 2HKO on Skarm (including SpDef, I think? I calced it with Careful but can't remember what it was...) is also very handy.

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Hmm

I never really thought about that. I was just more concerned with beating Kingdra than all that stuff lol. I guess I should have looked at all that jazz first but it was late and I really did most of this thinking about all that at work. I really haven't ever seen a Scarf Roserade except when I used one but that was supposed to be specs anyway lol. i guess i can just hop on the ladder and play scrub115152 for a bit and see how it does.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Yeah, may as well test it out. And Scarf Roserade is kinda obscure, it's just something I wanted to throw out there. Scarf Rotom-A is pretty big though imo, you'll want to invest in the extra EVs.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • ey yo in case anyone cares/uses irc i registed a channel, #S+M for us to chat in, even though we use the shoddy server this way we can talk to luke if he ever joins :D

Follow instructions in this post for more information.

the short version is this if you use mirc:

/server -m irc.systemnet.info
    /nick <desired username>
    /ns register <password> <email> (you only have to do that once)
    /join #S+M

talk :D if i like you and/or your name is Aura, Dark Azelf, or Anti you will have SOPs ("&" will be in front of your name) otherwise you will all have voice, hops or ops.

if you have chatzilla its:

/attach irc.systemnet.info
    /nick <desired username>
    /ns register <password> <email> (you only have to do that once)
    /join #S+M

and its a lot prettier/easier to use than mirc imo. ill tell you guys how to do other things after you join. :D

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Aids O.o: its against the rules
    Aids O.o: to let the last pokemon of a team sleep
    alan uu: lol
    alan uu: ok dude
    Aids O.o: idiot -.-
    alan uu: whatever you say
    Aids O.o: learn the rules first

i love the ladder haha