• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Finally, Facts about DS and PSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    LOL i doubt that there is going to be a gamecube2 nintendo don't just put a lame number on there systems like some stupid companys they actually use there brain and name it

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • No point in Nintendos next-gen

Wow, I didn't know that... That would be impossible to produce on GCN though.
    Maybe on GCN2 though... just maybe...
    If Nintendo built their own system instead of buying the parts from Walmart.... then maybe they would have a chance.

fudge01 said:
    LOL i doubt that there is going to be a gamecube2 nintendo don't just put a lame number on there systems like some stupid companys they actually use there brain and name it
    Ahh, the moron. Has it occured to you that the Consoles name does not affect gameplay?
    Haven't you even been asked by mods to think before you post?

aaaaaa

Yeah, Nintendo would never add a lame number to the end of their system names.
    Like the Ninendo 64. They'd never do that. Oh no, never would they try and sell their system based on how wide its datapaths were.
    They're just too cool for that.

Fudge, die.
    Please.

Anyway.
    You know it's because they build consoles using off the shelf parts that they have to lose money on each console and hope to regain their losses on software.
    Sony create their own hardware, which means they're not losing money to 3rd party hardware providers everytime they sell a console.
    The PS2 is *STILL* profitable, for Sony.
    The GCN and the Xbox both lose money per sale.
    It's quite amusing.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • a1337a said:
    Yeah, Nintendo would never add a lame number to the end of their system names.
    Like the Ninendo 64. They'd never do that. Oh no, never would they try and sell their system based on how wide its datapaths were.
    They're just too cool for that.

Fudge, die.
    Please.
    They named the N64 by its datapaths Lol...

Maybe the Next-gen Nintendo will be called 2.7Ghz PowerPC, named after its processor!

I could build a GCN2 right now if I had a program to play the games, because I can buy ALL of its parts at Walmart.

You can't buy a Cell...

PS- Its funny because the alternate processor is a Dual 1.8Ghz PowerPC.

I guess they are replying to Sony's Millions of processors, with 2 lame ones. How amusing.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    Hello 64 is a code 2 isnt a code DUH! you odnt know nothing screw you you die

aaaaaa

64 represented 64bit, which was how wide the consoles datapaths were.
    It wasn't some secret codename.
    Please leave, and never come back.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

fudge01 said:
    Hello 64 is a code 2 isnt a code DUH! you odnt know nothing screw you you die
    Work on your grammar, then maybe people will understand what you're talking about.
    N64 WAS named after its datapaths moron! Don't post about crap you don't know about. You should think about what you post. It makes no sense and it is pointless. Almost all of what you post is SPAM because you try to defy the truth.
    NEWSFLASH!

You can't fake the truth, thats the truth, and thats that!

That was Stupid, Pointless, and annoying all in one message.

grow up

kthxbai<(i swear i didn't steal this)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finally, Facts about DS and PSP

On the side note, I have some intresting news. The Japanese magazine Quiter listed an interveiw with the CEO of Square-Enix

Square said:
    "I think polymorphic... That's maybe a Square Enix created word," Yamamoto says, laughing apologetically at some puzzled expressions when he uses the phrase first. "That's a key word. So, I'd like to explain about the idea of 'polymorphic' as precisely as possible."

"For Square Enix, until now, media hardware has come before the content. That means that when we create, there is the hardware first, and then we put the content on it. For example, if you set out to write a novel, you would need a story to fill its pages; or if you had a PS2, a game would need to be created to play on it. In the current fashion, multimedia is very popular, but that is nothing more than part of the same trend, if you see what I'm trying to say."

"Put simply, then, the pattern has been to create entertainment according to the hardware," he continues. "The hardware is restrictive to the content. Our current vision is to create polymorphic content. So, we are aiming to form original ideas without being restricted by the notions of hardware or media, and to deliver these ideas via consoles, online gaming, mobile gaming, or DVD. "

"We understand that this might be difficult to imagine," he concedes, "but when you see the entertainment content that we will offer in the future, it will all become clear. So, it's still very abstract - but please expect our future; we will show what we can do."

Square Enix mobile business global coordinator Misa Murohashi steps in to give a more concrete example of the concept. "For example, with Final Fantasy VII, we currently have a project to launch an extra story in Japan, with a DVD movie from the Final Fantasy VII world [Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, which is also confirmed to appear on the UMD disc format used by PlayStation Portable movies]," she says. "At the same time, we're creating Final Fantasy VII Before Crisis, which is online content. We also have a new game in developement for use on the PSP; that's kind of our first try at creating polymorphic content, so we're currently starting with that kind of big concept."

Yamamoto nods. "Also, we believe that the mobile phone, which we carry every day, being a multi-functional device, is an ideal channel through which to deliver polymorphic content," he says. "So, maybe the mobile is one of the best multi-functional devices to make delivery of our polymorphic ideas. Utilising the everyday quality of the mobile phone, we will continue to provide content that everybody will enjoy."

"So, that's a brief explanation of our polymorphic idea," he concludes. "That is going to be the keyword, not only for mobile, but it will appear in our console business, PS2, PSP, or online, PC entertainment, everything. This is the worldwide Square Enix vision and concept."

Square not with PSP?... You all saw it coming, but
    I TOLD YA SO!!
    BOOYA

Last edited:

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Square Enix has left Sony for a while now. It's fully third-party and there is not a darn thing Sony can do about it.

And what's with all the "GCN's specs are worst than PS2" anyway? I mean, the PS2 is definitely the inferior being specs-wise (look processor, viedo card, sound card, everything), so what was the point on that? And GCN loading times ON AVERAGE is lower than PS2 ON AVERAGE (we're not going to the horrible loading times of Outbreak for PS2). However, since the PS2 has a harddrive, you can essentially "erase" loading times by directly loading the entire game onto the HD. I don't see the need of that in the GCN, since even the toughest games on loading (Resident Evil games) don't take long to load on the GCN.

And the PS2 is profittable because its specs have gone down dramatically (namely the lenses) over each price decline. On top of that, the PS2 has so much pirating going on that basically only the system is actually gaining any sort of major profit (it's all minor profit for all the games). Since the profit on games is so low, we've had MANY companies changing their strategies and going for the unpiratable GCN (e.g. RE games from Capcom). It's as simple as that: if you don't protect the guys making you the games, you're killing your own system.

Getting all that outta the way now...

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • Lies all LIES!

Kenny_C.002 said:
    Square Enix has left Sony for a while now. It's fully third-party and there is not a darn thing Sony can do about it.

And what's with all the "GCN's specs are worst than PS2" anyway? I mean, the PS2 is definitely the inferior being specs-wise (look processor, viedo card, sound card, everything), so what was the point on that? And GCN loading times ON AVERAGE is lower than PS2 ON AVERAGE (we're not going to the horrible loading times of Outbreak for PS2). However, since the PS2 has a harddrive, you can essentially "erase" loading times by directly loading the entire game onto the HD. I don't see the need of that in the GCN, since even the toughest games on loading (Resident Evil games) don't take long to load on the GCN.

And the PS2 is profittable because its specs have gone down dramatically (namely the lenses) over each price decline. On top of that, the PS2 has so much pirating going on that basically only the system is actually gaining any sort of major profit (it's all minor profit for all the games). Since the profit on games is so low, we've had MANY companies changing their strategies and going for the unpiratable GCN (e.g. RE games from Capcom). It's as simple as that: if you don't protect the guys making you the games, you're killing your own system.

Getting all that outta the way now...
    SQUARE ENIX DID NOT LEAVE SONY, They still have a bunch of games in developement for PS2. Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIII, The PSP game, Kingdom Hearts 2, FF7-AC for UMD. How could you say that?

Do you know anything? The GCN's specs are inferior to the PS2, how could you think otherwise? The GCN's processor is crap quality. Every item you listed is inferior compared to its PS2 counterpart! Loading times? Blah I said it enough...

Its specs don't go down! Specs always stay the same.
    Blah, are you to say that one day it's processor is 3.5Ghz, then the next day its 2Ghz?

PS2 doesent have much Pirating.. you know how hard it is to copy a PS2 game? Thats a flat-out LIE.

Minor profit? They sold @ a 5:1 ratio compared to Nintendo, including GBA and GCN! Sony's profit(from games)is over $700 million more! Nintendo had $200 million, what did Sony have? $900 million from games.

Price decline? Let me remind you that GCN suffered from the WORST price cuts of ANY of the systems.
    GCN is not unpiratable!

That was the most ignorant, retarded post that I have seen yet!
    I don't care if you're a Mod, that doesent give you the right to make lies like that. Nintendo has better sales? HAHAHAHHAH, only if Sony having 5 times more sales is better! ROFLMAO!!! Thats a knee slapper!!!

Wanna know whats funny? GBA is the only handheld system that people buy, and Sony still outsold them!!! LMAO!!! Sony still outsold them by $700 million!!!! You're such a liar. You lied about everything!!

Boo Ya, Don't lie again!
    EVERYTHING YOU SAID WAS A LIE
    You're the biggest liar that I have seen yet.
    You bring disgrace to the title Mod.

Last edited:

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Okay Brittany, settle down. I know you?re defending the PSP, but personal mudslinging won?t get you anything. Stay CALM. If a post infuriates you, go cool off before you reply okay? You can make your point without acting like this. =\

That being said PS2 games are easier to pirate than GCN games. The _only_ way to play a GCN ISO is to use the, *sigh, my poor beloved game* PSO exploit to send it to the GCN, and that?s more trouble than it?s worth. The PS2 can, once modded be pirated quite easily. Albeit not as easily as FTP?ing games to the Xbox, but it?s not too hard.

Now see? Did I have to call you names or say you were stupid/lying? No. And I ask you approach the rest of this thread in the same manner, okay?

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • You're right.

Kairi said:
    Okay Brittany, settle down. I know you?re defending the PSP, but personal mudslinging won?t get you anything. Stay CALM. If a post infuriates you, go cool off before you reply okay? You can make your point without acting like this. =\

That being said PS2 games are easier to pirate than GCN games. The _only_ way to play a GCN ISO is to use the, *sigh, my poor beloved game* PSO exploit to send it to the GCN, and that?s more trouble than it?s worth. The PS2 can, once modded be pirated quite easily. Albeit not as easily as FTP?ing games to the Xbox, but it?s not too hard.

Now see? Did I have to call you names or say you were stupid/lying? No. And I ask you approach the rest of this thread in the same manner, okay?
    You're right, I should calm down. That post really ticked me off though. I know that you can Mod a PS2 to pirate. You know how many PS2s break from trying to mod it? Some people mod their PS2 to play Japanese games also, and I've seen many times when they would break. When they come to my store asking for a repair, they usually spend around $150 to fix it, plus it's warrenty is gone. Either way, its still not easy to pirate.

But he was lying about everything else, and I never called him stupid.
    GCN is not a better seller than PS2
    The profit ratio is 5:1! I can't believe that someone would lie like that...
    And PS2s dont loose specs, that was obviously a lie because specs can't change...
    A $700 million difference should be some kinda sign that he's lying, huh?
    What really ticked me off was that a Mod said it.

That just aggrivated me so much... Sorry, I just need to chill. :\
    Thx Kairi, I would go insane if it werent for you.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    Geez i remeber seeing it on a site some where (might of been nintendo) that combined with the gba (for gaems like ffcc) the gamecube outsold all the systems for the year thats what i saw yep yep and it is as easy as copying a ps1 game for copying a ps2 game put it i your dvd burnre click copy cd yep yep and insulting a mod -_-

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • Yep yep yep

fudge01 said:
    Geez i remeber seeing it on a site some where (might of been nintendo) that combined with the gba (for gaems like ffcc) the gamecube outsold all the systems for the year thats what i saw yep yep and it is as easy as copying a ps1 game for copying a ps2 game put it i your dvd burnre click copy cd yep yep and insulting a mod -_-
    Cool Fudge-Packer! Its kinda too bad that you didn't list the site.
    Hey guess what? I went this one site where everyone told Fudge to be quiet.
    Yep yep yep, too bad you have to patch the CD, Yep yep yep, then you have to Modify your PS2, yep yep yep, then PS2 looses its warrenty...

Yep yep yep, and and if you break your PS2(which happens alot when you modify it) then you yep yep yep have to pay a fee thats like $150 which is a total waste. Yep yep yep. And the mod lied about those statistics, yep yep yep. Gamecube doesen't sell more than PS2 yep yep yep. I have access to all this information at work yep yep yep.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Well the gba really did sell very well. And I'm certain that the GBA didn't sell as well as the PS2 itself (GCN however had an even worst selling rate, compared to even the Xbox). About the specs stuff, i'm still sure on the comparisons that I've seen (tho it's during the beginning stages of GCN and Xbox releases) has the GCN still slightly above PS2. By all means call me what you like, since I'm sticking by what I saw and nothing else. Hey, just show me the statistics from the official sites and I'll shut up about it. It's THAT simple.

And Square Enix didn't leave Sony, it's just that it's now fully a third-party gaming company rather than it being the second-party gaming company to Sony beforehand.

The lenses themselves have been severely weakened by the third generation of PS2's and on (I heard from the piraters), thus making it more difficult for them to modify the PS2 (still possible, just more difficult). However, since they use the 1st gen. PS2 for most of their pirate testing, it didn't really matter. And no, I never mentioned any other "spec deflations" other than the lenses. Note that the lenses do cost a fair amount, so although the price decline does not equal to the same amount of price decline cost-wise, it's still THAT much more money they're getting.

Onto pirating. Seriously, pirating is getting worst by the minute and has become a major problem that Sony is facing. The truth is that whenever a company makes a game, they want to make the most profit out of it. Pirating makes it seem as though several thousand people have bought just a single game. This is a horrific count. I'm never sure of any other area, but Toronto as a whole has enough pirating companies going on that, if pirating does not exist, the gaming companies would make millions more. On top of that, the GTA itself goes to these pirating companies to get these games. And even on top of THAT, the pirating companies tend to be connected to provide the fastest releases. Go ahead and say it's all lies, but in the end this is the truth. btw, Pirated copies of a game currently costs 15 dollars Canadian for new releases, which is about 35 dollars cheaper than conventional games at say Walmart. I mean, the piraters get something like 14.50 in profit per game sold. That's the reason why they do it. Heck even modding services (garanteed or you get a new system with the same mod chip) lets them make upwards of 20 bucks or more (for the more expensive mod chips, they make more profit). That's the reasoning why people go into the pirating business. And people just eat it up (for the lack of a better word to say).

The GCN itself reads from the outside in (where did I hear that? well it doesn't really matter in the case of pirating). It's not too difficult to rip it off the system (just reverse everything after! easy!). The problem is the fact that the discs you can't just go out and buy them like regular DVDs (burned into a PS2 game). On top of that, there is no hard drive for the GCN. Since the main 2 ways of pirating onto the system itself has basically failed, the only thing to do is basically just rip it off the GCN and allow people to play on the computer via an emulator (but that's not profitable to the piraters, so why should they do it?).

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • Fudge01...seriously...post like that again and I'm deleting it...I'm not kidding, you are annoying the crap outta me.

And brittany stop flaming. KennyC's post was well thought out with (facts) and you blow up in his face for him proving you wrong with (facts). There's a difference between being wrong and lying. Geez, if I blew up at every post that you just called Kenny'C's I'd be banned from PC.

Listen to me people...and listen good...

The PS2 IS easy to mod and it IS modded by a lot of people...
    The Gamecube's hardware IS slightly bettter than the PS2's in overall performance.

Fin...one more flame and this thing is closed

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Alright. I'm settling this ALL by showing the specs of BOTH SYSTEMS from their respective official sites (aka undeniable proof). Here's Nintendo:

MPU ("Microprocessor Unit")* : Custom IBM Power PC "Gekko"
    Manufacturing process : 0.18 micron IBM copper wire technology
    Clock frequency : 485 MHz
    CPU capacity : 1125 Dmips (Dhrystone 2.1)
    Internal data precision : 32-bit Integer & 64-bit floating-point
    External bus : 1.3GB/second peak bandwidth (32-bit address space, 64-bit data bus 162 MHz clock)
    Internal cache L1: instruction 32KB, data 32KB (8 way) L2: 256KB (2 way)
    System LSI : Custom ATI/Nintendo "Flipper"
    Embedded frame buffer : Approx. 2MB sustainable latency : 6.2ns (1T-SRAM)
    Embedded texture cache : Approx. 1MB sustainable latency : 6.2ns (1T-SRAM)
    Texture read bandwidth : 10.4GB/second (Peak)
    Main memory bandwidth : 2.6GB/second (Peak)
    Pixel depth : 24-bit color, 24-bit Z buffer
    Image processing functions : Fog, subpixel anti-aliasing, 8 hardware lights, alpha blending, virtual texture design, multi-texturing, bump mapping, environment mapping, MIP mapping, bilinear filtering, trilinear filtering, anisotropic filtering, real-time hardware texture decompression (S3TC), real-time decompression of display list, HW 3-line deflickering filter.

Don't belive me? It's here:
    https://www.nintendo.com/techspecgcn

For PS2:

CPU

128-bit CPU

System Clock Frequency:

294.912 MHz

Cache Memory:

Instruction: 16KB, Data: 8KB + 16 K(ScrP)

Main Memory:

Direct Rambus (Direct RDRAM)

Memory Size:

32MB

Memory Bus Bandwidth:

3.2GB per second

Co-processor:

FPU (Floating Point Unit)
    Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1
    Floating Point Divider x 1

Vector Units:

VU0 and VU1
    Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9
    Floating Point Divider x 3

Floating Point Performance:

6.2 GFLOPS

3D CG Geometric Transformation:

66 million Polygons per Second

Compressed Image Decoder:

MPEG2

GRAPHICS

Graphics Synthesizer?

Clock Frequency:

147.456MHz

Embedded DRAM:

4MB

DRAM Bus Bandwidth:

48GB per second

DRAM Bus Width:

2,560 bits

Pixel Configuration:

RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)

Polygon Drawing Rate:

75 million Polygons per second

Screen Resolution:

Variable from 256 x 224 to 1280 x 1024

SOUND

?SPU2 + CPU?

Number of Voices:

ADPCM: 48 ch on SPU2 plus definable, software programmable voices

Sound Memory:

2MB

Output Frequency:

Variable up to 48 KHz (DAT quality)

IOP

I/O Processor

CPU Core:

PlayStation (current) CPU (R3000)

Clock Frequency:

33.8688MHz or 36.864MHz (selectable; PlayStation/PlayStation 2 mode)

IOP Memory:

2MB

Sub Bus:

32-bit

Interface Types:

Universal Serial Bus (USB) x2, Controller Port x2, Memory Card slots x 2

Here's the site:
    https://www.us.playstation.com/consoles.aspx?id=2/info/415007657.html

Happy everyone?

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • Finally Kenny joins the fray. I'm mainly just posting this post cause Arcanine told me to post something in this thread last night because he didn't want to because he thought he'd make himself look stupid. lol

yeti z32

i detest ps
    Years
  • both are bad consoles look playstaion 2 is so stupid the movements the games, and gamecube to the graphics the games they are thrash i prefer a box with junk that one of those consoles.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back