• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I heard Red was tough?

EJ

everything is purple
Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    That Venusaur was actually the last pokemon against MY last pokemon. Typhlosion had just killed his pikachu from a critical hit flamethrower (choice specs) after Red gave it a full restore. So it was Venusaur vs. Typhlosion, so there's like a 30 lvl difference between the two. He threw a sludge bomb that poisoned typhlosion. Typhlosion then NEARLY killed his Venusaur...and then Typhlosion died from poison.

D: I might just give up and grind more.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Really? I just traded クレセリア over and I beat Red without any trouble. First try, did not get a single Pokemon KOd, got my Giratina up a fair few levels. (Oh, クレセリア means Cresselia, lv. 100, had Psycho Cut, Return, Moonlight, Substiture, and Adamant nature, if I am right)

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I beat him soundly with lvl63 - 69s. I don't see why people say his Pikachu is good. Gyarados' Earthquake took him down in one, then the rest of his team was even easier.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • First playthrough, I beat him with my overleveled team (Lv.95 Typhlosion, Togekiss, Espeon, Heracross, Lapras, and Ampharos). I did this to give Red some respect. I mean, what World Champion wouldn't hang himself if he was beaten by a bunch of Lv.50s compared to his Lv.80s? Hahahah

Years
  • Bah, it took me two tries, although i got lucky. A text scene that I one with:
    The foe's VENUSAUR used Frenzy Plant!
    ARCEUS used Judgement!
    The foe's VENUSAUR fainted!
    ... That's how i won on SS.

Last edited:

SUTANRII

The New Guy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2010
    I've lost twice because of poor decisions. I am planning on leveling up a team, especially for him though. :) His weakest, I believe is his Pikachu which I killed in one-hit, both times I faced him. Pathetic pikachu xD

Geo_mani

Can't wait until spring!
    Years
  • I don't remember the levels of my pokemon when I beat him,but he was difficult.I used revives and full restores all the time.

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
  • Im goint to use my team I used through the game:
    Garchomp
    Scizor
    Starmie
    they are currently on level 65-66
    but Im goint to keep beating 2nd round E4 until Im ready to take on Red, Also I think its cheap to use Legends on Red instead of Using A team you worked hard to train

PS all my pokes I used was transfered at the begining of the game as eggs from platinum

Cyndahog

lol hi
    Years
  • I beat him pretty easily (with the help of a couple of revives of course) with a team of 5 ranging from 66-68. Though, if you're going to try and beat Red with no healing items, you'd want to be pretty high up.

Andrew1989

neet
    Years
  • While I haven't reached him yet in my Soul Silver file, you'll have a real hard time trying to beat him if your pokémons aren't trained well enough (ie: in their mid 70's) and are well prepared (ie: a Lot of Revives / Max Potions / Full Heal's). Luckily, unlike the battle in G/S/C, I've heard he's gotten even "easier" as there's now Hail to hit most of his Pokémons. Also - most of his Pokémons are now weak to Electric types (because they got rid of Espeon for a Lapras which I found stupid on Nintendo's part).

[strike]thank god they didn't get rid of Snorlax. Or that would have made Red easier than the Elite Four :D[/strike]

ParadoxVoid

HG Friend Code: 0346 1514 5012
    Years
  • I have found they base his team off of the anime, much to my disgust. But I suppose they can't base it off of anything else. And in the anime, his team was Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Snorlax, Lapras, Espeon. But hey, it was Lapras or Espeon, and there isn't room for both. They went with the stronger Pokemon. Plus, we already fought a trainer with Espeon. The Kimono Girls. I think they made a good choice for the layout. Oh, and try facing him using the GB Sounds. Great music mix. ^.^

I wouldn't be so disgusted with the anime if they just stopped after Hoenn. Now it's a children's program for kids who don't even play the games.

Last edited:

Sire

Making Flareon Own You
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    I have found they base his team off of the anime, much to my disgust. But I suppose they can't base it off of anything else. And in the anime, his team was Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Snorlax, Lapras, Espeon. But hey, it was Lapras or Espeon, and there isn't room for both. They went with the stronger Pokemon. Plus, we already fought a trainer with Espeon. The Kimono Girls. I think they made a good choice for the layout. Oh, and try facing him using the GB Sounds. Great music mix. ^.^

I wouldn't be so disgusted with the anime if they just stopped after Hoenn. Now it's a children's program for kids who don't even play the games.

Ash never had an Espeon in the anime. :/

level.

Forgot about user titles
    Years
  • While I haven't reached him yet in my Soul Silver file, you'll have a real hard time trying to beat him if your pokémons aren't trained well enough (ie: in their mid 70's) and are well prepared (ie: a Lot of Revives / Max Potions / Full Heal's). Luckily, unlike the battle in G/S/C, I've heard he's gotten even "easier" as there's now Hail to hit most of his Pokémons. Also - most of his Pokémons are now weak to Electric types (because they got rid of Espeon for a Lapras which I found stupid on Nintendo's part).

[strike]thank god they didn't get rid of Snorlax. Or that would have made Red easier than the Elite Four :D[/strike]

Hail makes Red tougher due to the fact that half of his team has blizzard. So Dragonite is pretty much useless.
    Go with Lanturn.

Severence

Psychic Types FTW
    Years
  • Ash never had an Espeon in the anime. :/
    Actually, he had an Espeon in G/S/C when you fought him. And yes, though he never had one in the anime, that's what the Eevee was supposed to become. Through happiness during the day. Do you think RED would make it happy at night?

ParadoxVoid

HG Friend Code: 0346 1514 5012
    Years
  • Actually, he had an Espeon in G/S/C when you fought him. And yes, though he never had one in the anime, that's what the Eevee was supposed to become. Through happiness during the day. Do you think RED would make it happy at night?

Oh my god, I think I'm in love. Happy at night? I hope you don't mean what I think you mean.

Back