• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I heard Red was tough?

Pokemon1222

Grabbin some pillz!
Years
  • Red Is VERY Hard, It Took Me Several Tries With Different Teams To Kill Him, He Has The Most Strongest Pokemon In Singleplayer I've Ever Seen...
    Lvl 88 Pikachu (Has Light Ball)
    Lvl 84 Charizard,Venusaur And Blastoise
    Lvl 80 Lapras
    Lvl 82 Snorlax
    Be VERY Prepared If Anyone Has Lower Leveled Pokemon Then The List Above I Wrote.

Suzune

Gary Was Here, Ash Is A Loser!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    I used the following :
    Typhlosion
    Togekiss
    Pidgeot
    Gyrados
    Ampharos
    Lapras

All around level 60. The battle took awhile, but I won.

After That, I used my Competitive Team. That made it pretty easy, so I'm glad I didn't do that first.

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • I haven't really cared to go up there yet ^_^;

I do think I could defeat him fairly easily, atleast when I train up my Dragonite and Umbreon, thus finishing my team >:D

...But Mt. Silver requires some Hms to get up, right? That'll cause problems, how did you guys get around it?

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    My team were all lvl 63-65 and it was easy.

I just set up reflect and light screen with my bronzong, exploded it, then set up dragon dance with my dragonite and swept him.

However I did use potions.

Years
  • ...But Mt. Silver requires some Hms to get up, right? That'll cause problems, how did you guys get around it?
    To reach Red you only need Rock Climb, though to go after all the goodies inside the cave Surf, Waterfall and Rock Smash are needed too. At the very least you only need a HM Slave for Rock Climb, unless you use Rock Climb on your team members.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • To reach Red you only need Rock Climb, though to go after all the goodies inside the cave Surf, Waterfall and Rock Smash are needed too. At the very least you only need a HM Slave for Rock Climb, unless you use Rock Climb on your team members.
    Ah I see. Currently the only one I have that knows Rock Climb is a level 13 Geodude, So I'll just have to learn it to someone else.. (;._.)

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • I should've gotten a electric type. My stinking water weakness... I can 1 Hit KO his Pikachu with Earthquake with my62 Donphan.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    Having only just beaten Red in the past few minutes, I will say this. Red is hard. Very hard. Much harder than he was back in Gold/Silver/Crystal and as a youngster, I thought he was hard then, but he's much more difficult here. I had to use plenty of full restores and revives to win. The hail was irritating too, but it could be used as both an advantage and disadvantage.

This was my team at the time of defeating Red:

I heard Red was tough?
    Snapper the Feraligatr (Lv.70)

I heard Red was tough?
    Webslinger the Ariados (Lv.70)

I heard Red was tough?
    Hardboiled the Togekiss (Lv.67)

I heard Red was tough?
    Stumpy the Sudowoodo (Lv.67)

I heard Red was tough?
    Bagheera the Umbreon (Lv.67)

I heard Red was tough?
    Tarzan the Primeape (Lv.70)

His Pikachu, which I didn't think was too much of a threat before is a powerful beast. Luckily, my Primape knew Close Combat, which took out Pikachu in one hit and thankfully didn't paralyze me on impact (like it did on previous tries).

The order he sends his Pokemon out vary and my tries all differed, but let's just do them in the order I recall battling him against.

Blastoise was next and he was fairly difficult to take on, since I had no Pokemon with Grass or Electric moves. With no clear advantage I sent out Umbreon (which with Red no longer owning an Espeon like he did in G/S/C, had no chance to dominate the battle) to whittle it down. It died pretty soon into the battle and its attacks hardly mattered when Red used his one of many full restores. If I remember correctly, I sent out a mix of Feraligatr, Ariados, Togekiss and Primeape to finish it off. Took a while, but it worked.

Charizard was next and this was pretty easy. Sudowoodo defeated it with one Rock Slide.

Lapras (which replaced Espeon) was a little difficult. Again, I think I weakened it down with several Pokemon, before sending out Primeape again to use Close Combat.

Snorlax has thankfully been made a tad easier without Rest, but he was still difficult and his HP took a while to take down. Using a few Pokemon again, before I sent out Primeape again with Close Combat was my strategy once again.

Venusaur was next and boy this was annoying. I tried to keep Feraligatr, Togekiss and Ariados alive for this battle. Red kept using full restores on Venusaur, much to my fury to the point where I wanted to throw a DS across the screen, but after some time, my Ariados (good resistance to its moveset) and Psychic were enough to end the battle.

And cue anti-climatic ending. Next time, I'm going to take the time to raise my Pokemon to a more even level. Next time Red, I shall kick your arse properly.

Years
  • I defeated him just recently! All my pokemon (in sig) were about lvl. 80, I switched pokemon depending on type effectiviness, and defeated him easily =)

Last edited:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
  • I defeated Red easily!
    Here is my strategy...

For Pikachu, I used Charizard's Earthquake.
    For Venusaur, I used Charizard's Flamethrower.
    For Charizard, I used Feraligatr's Surf.
    For Blastoise & Lapras, I used Victreebel's Razor Leaf/Sleep Powder.
    For Snorlax, I used Lucario's Aura Sphere. (FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE!)

joshk_bra

EV trains like a boss.
    Years
  • ash was quite hard
    i got owned twice
    then i transfered over 2 lvl 100 pokes and still got owned =/
    i eventually got lucky though =]

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • I tried beating him yesterday, after catching Ho-Oh, Moltres and mewtwo within a matter of two hours, as I felt on top of the world. his Blastoise crushed me. xP

So yeah, I need to get more training. Something this game really lacks :(

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2010
    Destroyed him with my un-EVed 100 Charizard
    As a matter of fact it was this Charizard right over here vvvv

Tanaie

•♥~Yaoi~♥•
    Years
  • Well he's not THAT diffcult. D:

When I went to fight him the majority of my team was 50's and 60's.
    So I pretty much used my level 100 un-EVed Raichi and lvl 91 EVed Glaceon to take him out.

>:3 He got pwned.

O-O Even my lower level Pokemon were able to help out.
    My level 53 Feraligatr was able to take out his Charizard! >:3♥

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • Wasn't that hard really. I beat him with this team:

Magneton lvl 61
    Raikou lvl 63
    Electrode lvl 63
    Pikachu lvl 65

Wasn't that hard to revive Electrode and keeping Explode XD

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    I pwned him, his Pikachu was one Flamethrower (Psypokes lies! He is still just a filler!)
    I had trouble with Blastoise, Lapras, and a bit with Snorlax and Charizard, but I one in the end.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • Red can be tough, depending on how well trained your pokemon is.
    I beat him with all level 60 or lower pokemon in HG, he beat me a few times, and I kept trying, and beat him. I beat him in my level 80's in SS. :3

Back