• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonists

Prefer the guy, or the girl?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I will play as the dude, because I am a guy. I also think his design is good. The girl's design is, well, trampy. Even though they are older I still would rather play as my own gender than the one i'm not.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I love these designs. Really. I do. Best yet, by far, and I'm rarely quick to make assumptions about things like that. I especially love the fact that these characters are older than before. I think that is what really sold me on them. The starters were a whole lot of meh, but the protagonists have given me high expectations for this generation.

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
  • ... Well, I'll be picking the female because I am female though I am not a big fan of her design. I mean, I'm not really lovin' the pink and her crazy hair... I'm more of a fan of straight or a bit shorter hair... But hey, her design is MUCH better than Dawn's ^^

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
  • Definitly female!
    Even if I'm male, since I discovered the truth on Brendan's hat and saw Lucas, I play with the female character(except firered even if I like Leaf): so since the female desing is fantastic I'm gonna chose her.(fortunately there are other male doing this...I thinked to be a perv)

NatureKeeper

[off-topic]This is my first post in this forum (Black and White)!
    [/off-topic]

I prefer the male. He looks well, cooler and more calm than that... Creature..

He is as good as Ethan and Red in my opinion, unlike the epic fail @Lucas and Brendan.

I am totally choosing him.

And besides, in one Overworld sprite, the female character creature looks like she has a beard. O_O

Dawn, May, Kris, Kotone and Leaf look much better than this rubbish. Why, even Solana looks better!

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I like them! Im glad they finally made them older, who lets a 10 year old go off on a journey across the country? !!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    I like the guy (:
    The design is my favorite protagonist out of them all.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • The Male. Mainly because I'm male but this time in addition, he kinda looks like I did when I was that age (which wasnt that long ago but I made myself feel old...). His design is very cool and actually reasonable.

As for the female: I do like what they've done. Gone are the days of the co-ordinator who was in it to "pretty" and in are the days of "What was that? DRAGONITE: HYPER BEAM!" I was getting pretty sick of female protags who were all into pink and pretty. I've almost never met a woman who fit that general stereotype about girls so I think this is right direction.

Ayselipera

Both Protagonists look amazing to me. I think they're the best we have ever had. Especially the girl sprite. She just looks so mature and I honestly can't see one flaw on her. I love how big her hair is and I don't know why everyone hates her shorts they look fine to me. Plus I like that little flare they have on the sides. It adds an interesting twist to your everyday shorts. The boots are great too. I can actually believe I'm journeying around a vast region with those boots on. It sort of reminds me of the ranger sprites in a way.

H-King

Elite Four Will Fan
    Years
  • Has anyone noticed the watches on their hands? I hope they arent somthing like the ones in dp, because I hate those.

Years
  • I like them, look more mature. It was in need of a change imo.

Of course in a perfect world we'd be able to design our sprites from the ground up so everyone didn't look the same but meh.

Cresselia

Plasma Elite
    Years
  • I agree with the majority consensus of the comments here, the female's hair looks ridiculous. XD However, I like the design of her shorts, it kind of gives her a more sporty style. Design-wise, the 4th generation protagonist is my favorite.

As for the male, I really like the design of his hair an jacket. I plan on buying both versions and playing as both protagonists as a compromise.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I love the female. Because she's me. The hair, the choice in clothes, and even the attitude just remind me of me. And a lot of my other female friends have said the same, that the female reminds them of themselves. It's great to finally have a female character who doesn't have the look about her that she's into contests and that's it. She's an awesome trucker girl.

I'm still undecided about the male. His hair is what's mainly bothering me, but I'm sure that he'll grow on me. It's just that the female character has gotten to me first.

Plus, the fact that they're older has endeared themselves to me. That is an amazing thing about them.

war rock exe

Pokemon Colosseum Remaker!!
    Years
  • I like them both... I think the Girl is a bit "prettier" than the other games... The guys looks awesome as well.. the Guy looks like a combination of Ash and the boy from pokemon platinum

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I hate the girl's shorts but I love everything else about her design. I'm glad the shorts are the only thing I hate because I doubt I'll be able to see much of them in the game so I can imagine they aren't so horrible. :D

The guy is okay looking too. He's not amazing but nothing really stands out as annoying, either. XD; All in all I think these designs are better than they have been lately and I like them.

I'm also pleased that the protagonists are looking older. I always feel weird playing as a 10 year old because while it was appropriate in gen 1, that's... about it. XD; Now it feels like the fandom is growing up with me a bit (finally!) so that's nice. I wonder if it'll mean any changes to the basic story/gameplay. I must admit, I don't see the point in making them any older if it doesn't. :s

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I love the girl character... Mainly because she looks a lot like me. (I have dark, curly hair that I wear in a ponytail... LOL.) ^^

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years

• Yeah I'm still trying to figure out what her shorts are doing in these pictures... :|

My guess is that what she's wearing used to be a pair of pants but the pockets got caught in her scissors when she was cutting them to make shorts and they got horrifically mangled.

I think they're nice. Nothing that really stands out as super cool to me but there aren't any outrageous put-offs either so I guess I can't complain. The girl, though... she looks a little too confident for my tastes.

Back