• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

This feels good... Too good...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    So there have been stories about people having developed extreme feelings for characters from animes and other similar situations, but what I'm asking is do you think it's possible to develop feelings for an anime/manga character? Have you ever been in this situation? Do you know anyone that has?

Personally I have a friend that says she's married to a character from an anime and treats it like a real relationship, but I find this concept very hard to grasp. I mean sure if someone like Haruhi or Itsuki or Yamcha were real then yes I'd definitely want to meet them and hope it'd lead to some kind of romantic situation, but I don't buy into the idea of falling in love with a fictional character from an anime when they're not real. If someone with their looks and personality in real life came along then sure, but not whilst they're an anime character. But on the other hand I have a couple of friends who do claim to have this kind of bond with anime characters, so maybe I'm missing something? :p

So yeah, any thoughts?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years

• The bond between a man and his waifu is sacred.

But really I don't think 99.9% of people that have a waifu/husbando take it seriously, the 0.1% that do are the crazies.

I do have a strange respect for that dude that married a Fate Testerossa pillow though, he just did whatever the hell he wanted.
    Spoiler:

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
    Years
  • I agree with you Alex I dont really get it. Sure you can like the personality and aspects of the characters but I dont really understand how that develops into a romantic relationship in real life. There are a few anime characters that I think would be amazing to meet if they were real people; Haruhi is one of them, I just love her personality in the anime etc.

I dont think you're missing anything but who are we to tell people that do its wrong, in the end its not our choice or problem so if its happy may as well let them have it.

Bika

lmfao
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2012
    I can understand the whole waifu thing, and if you're lonely, its definitely nice to have an emotional attachment to a character. But yes, people who take it seriously are kind of scary and I don't like associating with them.

I do think its cute to have a Dakimakura (hug pillow), figurines, posters, and what-not, as long as it isn't taken too far ヽ(*≧ω≦)ノ

I consider Ahiru from Princess Tutu to be my waifu!

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Well, some people are kinda ... Weird. It's weird to develop extreme feeling for people you'll never meet, like celebrities, so, for anime characters, it's just madness.
    I guess that people who are like that, are people that are really alone. That have no friends, and were never loved by anyone. Their depression and loneliness are so strong that they need to take up with someone that can't reject them, a fictional character. But, even if the person is mega desperate and so on, it's still very odd.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • It's definitely possible. I mean, there was a man who married a character in a video game called Love Plus for the Nintendo DS. He brought the DS itself to the wedding, apparently. o3o
    Honestly, me and my friends like to joke around about having "waifus" and all, but it's just in good fun, and not serious. xD;
    I'm guessing the people who fall in love with these characters just spend a bit too much time fantasizing about them. Way too much time, actually.

Bika

lmfao
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2012
    People also do it because they literally hate 3D women. Its really odd.

Years
  • It's not healthy to take something like this too far. Fantasy is fine and healthy for everyone, but when you act on it you're not really in a relationship. A real relationship involves another person who you can interact with, a person who has real feelings and opinions and all that.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • My friends and I get to liking certain characters a lot, and get a sort of joking animu crush on them, and then we call them "waifu" or "husbando", or we call them that if we find them really awesome. Though, in general, I had no idea people actually considered themselves to be in real relationships with fictional characters? Like, it's not possible? XD; I've never met anyone who took it quite that far.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2012
    Yes of course. Coz i feel the same way too, to some anime characters. Also, i know someone who's really inlove to one of anime character, the she keeps on talking and day dreaming about it.

Back