• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gameplay length

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    How long do you think this game's story will be, in relation to S/M? Something tells me it will be a shorter story than S/M, but I'd love to be wrong. What do you think?

Years
  • I think it will be the same length just about. Maybe even longer since they have to bring the arc to a closure. Or maybe they'll be cool and add something like the Delta Episodes from ORAS. I know that was short but I loved it so much.

Years
  • I think it'll be longer, and honestly, I'm not particularly looking forward to it. SM seemed long to me, as someone who's played every Pokemon game up to this point at least twice. To a first-time player, I'm relatively sure the games felt even longer. In fact, I lent my Sun copy to a friend in my computer graphics group as her first Pokemon game ever, and after three months before I left campus I got it back and she'd only beaten the first trial. She even went as far to say it 'slogged on' a bit at the beginning.

Hopefully it's different in USUM, but as a potential sequel, it's likely going to be longer.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'd like to think that these games will be slightly longer than SM as they're described as being "powered up with new additions to the story and features of Pokemon Sun & Moon."

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • What seems long with SuMo is the amount of cutscenes. Sadly, I don't think we'll have less of them in UsUm. Since it is only a new story in a parallel universe (that's the vibe I get).

Years
  • I'm on the side that thinks there will be a longer story. I know B2/W2 had a longer story in comparison to B/W, so there's definitely hope.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • I have a feeling that, like others have said, it'll be longer, but I also have a feeling they'll go back to a more formulaic plot setup this time around, like with B2/W2, in that it's literally just "save Alola from the evil team" while the first versions really went all out with the plot. Sure, they'll probably be a lot of cutscenes, but still.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • I would hope to ****ing **** in the name of all that is ****ing holy that there is no 6-hour long 'hold-your-hands' tutorial at the beginning, or a 'I'm not 5 years old and I've been playing these since the dawn of time so let me skip the chuffing tutorial' option. That alone would probably significantly cut the runtime of the game. Heck, I'd be well up for going back and replaying Sun or Moon again if I didn't have to spam the A button to within an inch of its life for the first hour or so after starting the game.

Sigh.....and breathe.

Years
  • I would hope to ****ing **** in the name of all that is ****ing holy that there is no 6-hour long 'hold-your-hands' tutorial at the beginning, or a 'I'm not 5 years old and I've been playing these since the dawn of time so let me skip the chuffing tutorial' option. That alone would probably significantly cut the runtime of the game. Heck, I'd be well up for going back and replaying Sun or Moon again if I didn't have to spam the A button to within an inch of its life for the first hour or so after starting the game.

Sigh.....and breathe.

in all honesty Gamefreak needs to go back to Gen III and ask if you need a tutorial at the beginning. It should also ask if this is your first game. If you select no it should give NO tutorials for anything but new features, if that. I cannot stand having to wait to start my adventure. It's always extremely annoying. But in this case it goes on forever it seems. It's like the whole of Melemele Island was a tutorial area rather than part of the game. I want to slap the taste out of captain Ilima's mouth so badly for so many reasons I can't even list them. Also WHY does Rotom have attraction to a human?

pkmin3033

I suppose part of whether it will be longer or shorter will depend on how much you enjoy it - Moon dragged on for me because I hated every second of it, although I know a lot of people found it a very short game that felt like it was over too soon because they enjoyed it - but I'd be quite surprised if these are shorter in terms of content compared to the originals. Not only do I imagine they'll have some kind of postgame side-plot on top of the main story, but the expansions to Alola that are bound to take place in this should necessitate a longer story irrespective of how (or even if) these are connected to the original games.

Whether it has more or less cutscenes, though, I couldn't begin to guess. If these are a re-telling, perhaps the same amount?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I'm expecting 20-40 hours depending on what speed you play at. I reeeaally want a good 500 hour+ experience that I can waste my life on though...

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    I expect the same amount of time, if not more. Though as a "third" version ( how I see it) I feel there might be more in Ultra Sun and Moon than in Sun and Moon if it is an extended version. All I really hope for is that the place we start off at isn't made to be Tutorial Island Extraordinaire. (Seriously, I love this game to death, but the first island is a giant-ass tutorial. Please let me be for awhile. I get new players need to be introduced in the game, but is it that bad to just give me the option to say "no"?)

Years
  • Tbh I also thought Sun and Moon were pretty long games imo, and one of the longest we've seen in the Pokemon main series games. So I hope USM isn't too much longer, cause I felt SM dragged at certain parts.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • Like the general consensus, I'm pretty sure that USUM will be slightly longer than SM.

Pacing might be different, most likely USUM having a faster pace than SM from cutting the introduction to the new region to most likely cutting out the Lillie/Nebby cutscenes. But USUM will most likely include new main plot points that wasn't in SM, like Necromza, increasing the storyline + plot more, and assuming there will be some cutscenes it'll add up to be slightly longer than SM.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • It took me from the release to just last week to complete the main game... (I played casually, lol). But it did seem quite long. A bit of a surprise, especially since BW/BW2/XY were short.

Back