• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Meltan (as Ditto) Appears in GO!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • If it had been on purpose, why would they slot it in Kecleon's slot? Zero reason for that. Head of marketing for the game in Japan tweeting question marks doesn't seem like a good way to market it either - surely they'd tease it with some more useful message, and on a far more public channel (like the official Pokemon GO accounts for worldwide and Japan...).

It just reeks of a mess. I believe they're going to pretend it's intended as the damage is done already, but again - if it was intended, why on earth have it take up Kecleon's slot. (And why have Kecleon transform to Ditto too when it briefly appeared? Suggests to me that effect is a failsafe when trying to catch something that shouldn't exist...)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I'm not really sure how this could possibly be an error, like I've heard that Niantic is sort of a mess but are they really up to this level? Granted, I have no idea how this stuff even happens... but it just seems super weird to dismiss it as a mistake.

Kai

Wayfarer
    Years
  • This was 100% intentional. I found one during the event at the far edge of my campus stationed at a Pokestop. Once the event ended every Pokestop was occupied by one and they appeared in the wild for exactly 30 minutes.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • If it had been on purpose, why would they slot it in Kecleon's slot? Zero reason for that. Head of marketing for the game in Japan tweeting question marks doesn't seem like a good way to market it either - surely they'd tease it with some more useful message, and on a far more public channel (like the official Pokemon GO accounts for worldwide and Japan...).

It just reeks of a mess. I believe they're going to pretend it's intended as the damage is done already, but again - if it was intended, why on earth have it take up Kecleon's slot. (And why have Kecleon transform to Ditto too when it briefly appeared? Suggests to me that effect is a failsafe when trying to catch something that shouldn't exist...)

Double posting because I might have an explanation for why it appeared in Kecleon's slot!! Well, it's a long shot, but apparently Kecleon was actually the first generation 3 Pokemon shown before the games actually came out! It first appeared in the anime in the Johto League Champions series in July 2001, which is a year before Ruby and Sapphire were released in Japan!

So maybe it's a fun throwback for them? Replacing the first gen 3 Pokemon with the first gen 8? I'm still confused on if the Let's Go exclusive Pokemon is supposed to be gen 7 or gen 8, though, haha.

Maybe give people a teaser to generate interest beforehand? Not saying it's a good marketing strategy but it seems remotely plausible that they would use GO as a tool like this. GO isn't just a spinoff anymore, but it's being incorporated into "main" games, so maybe they want to push more interest in GO as well? Also, maybe this is why they chose to use a weird looking Pokemon instead of a fluffy one like Riolu/Zorua/starters (some of the first announced mons of their generation) because they maybe wanted to generate doubt? Like, if they used a model for a more traditional Pokemon-looking Pokemon, then the gig would be up. But if they use one of the weirder ones, it generates speculation for a few days? I have no idea what the long-term effects of each strategy would be, just generating ideas maybe.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Has anyone caught these and NOT get Dittos? Because during the Chikorita event I caught 3 of these guys and they turned into Chikorita's instead of Dittos.

Years
  • Everyone expected it to be some random code placeholder... now it appears to be potentially a new Pok?mon that, obviously, involves Ditto in its thematic... I'd love to see it turn out into a better version of Ditto to be honest...
    Wait & See!

It looks like a freaky Ultra Beast ;;
    Could also be some Scientists derping around, lol.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    DON'T TRANSFER YOUR DITTO GUYS!! ...because it might turn into Meltan and then you'll be sad you missed out. :c

Back