• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular opinions

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Post your pokemon related opinions here that are not popular with many other pokemon fans. Keep it civil please, pokemon is just a video game. Uh, I have a lot of unpopular opinions in general so please bear with me.

I'll start

- Pokemon like Dunsparce shouldn't get evolutions

- Most Gen IV cross gen evolutions were a mistake (except Porygon-Z (allows Porygon2 to use eviolite), the branched ones like Froslass and Gallade and eeveelutions)

- Sinnoh remakes are unnecessary

- Ultra Beasts are ugly designs and look very laughable childish. Also Heracross > Buzzwole and Pheromosa and Skarmory > Celesteela.

- USUM was a bigger cash grab than any previous third version. Seems like they tried to pass it off as a B2W2 esque game but B2W2 were way better. It's no surprise that the few months leading up to USUM were devoid of anything substantial, they had very little to impress. Also missed opportunity for Alolan gen 2 pokemon.

- Gen 2 pokemon have excellent designs and are only mocked by fans because they weren't made in a time where the competitive metagame heavily influenced pokemon games, and thus they make up a tiny fraction of OU tier. Don't worry, in a few generations the likes of Ash-Greninja will be in the same tier as Delibird when GF dishes out a gross amount of Mega-Rayquaza level pokemon.

- Ash-Greninja was pure fan service. It was not necessary. Popularity and greed really do run GF now huh? Additionally, Greninja is an overrated pokemon. Because it's a cool ninja frog and is good in battle it reached #1 in Japan's popularity poll. lol too funny of them.

- Johto starters are some of the best. They don't need powerful dual typings to be great. They deserve better. Like they are ignored by GF while Charizard got two megas and Greninja got a wannabe mega form.

- Pokemon GO is a bad game

- Unova starters are great.

- Friendly Brendan/May type rivals are the worst

That's all for now and thank you for your time if you read all of it

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Ultra Sun and Moon were just as good of remakes as Emerald was to Ruby and Sapphire, Crystal was to Silver, etc.

I understand not liking the original Sun and Moon games, but dissing the remakes for being too similar doesn't make much sense, unless you don't like any of the third versions.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Ultra Sun and Moon were just as good of remakes as Emerald was to Ruby and Sapphire, Crystal was to Silver, etc.

I understand not liking the original Sun and Moon games, but dissing the remakes for being too similar doesn't make much sense, unless you don't like any of the third versions.

Emerald and Crystal were very different, especially in story.

Ultra Sun and Moon were basically just the same exact game with minor inclusions. Wholly disagree.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Emerald and Crystal were very different, especially in story.

Ultra Sun and Moon were basically just the same exact game with minor inclusions. Wholly disagree.

Emerald and Crystal both had nearly the exact same region with almost no notable differences.

Crystal was the exact same story, with Eusine added and Suicune easier to catch.

Emerald shifted the story, making both teams villainous instead of favoring one.

Ultra Sun added the Recon Team segments, along with Lusamine losing her status as main antagonist about half way through, which changed the story in the later half of the game extensively.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
While everyone harps on about USUM being really bad as third games, I feel as though Emerald is the worst of the bunch, and people only overrate it because of the Battle Frontier. Don't get me wrong, the Battle Frontier is pretty impressive, but for the first act up until around Team Magma enter the plot, it's way too similar to Sapphire, and the plot progression plays almost the exact same up until Lilycove, where I feel the game really starts to take off.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I guess the real problem I have with USUM is that it was released as a dual third version game which seems greedy and unneccessary. If they had released it as a regular third version I probably would have given it a chance instead of skipping out on it.

You don't need to spend time whining about the Let's Go duology if you're not into Go.

No one is whining about anything. Some concerns over Let's Go are completely justified. Being a pokemon fan who's bought their games and played them my whole life, I can criticize the things GF does you know. I'll probably get the Let's Go game anyways so any criticism I'll have later this year will be more justified then so you can't pull that haven't played it or not into it argument.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
P- Friendly Brendan/May type rivals are the worst

tbh that's a very common opinon I hear.

Anyway

- Generation V isn't a bad generation. The Pokemon weren't uncreative.

-The Alola anime is NOT bad. And people who hate on it just because Ash isn't travelling and is in school are annoying af hell.

-Mega Evolution is shit-tier.

-Kalos is a shit-tier region, and generation six was a bad generation.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 7, 2019
-Umbreon is a garbage Pokemon that people only like cos he's emo looking.

-Having Pokemon follow you is cool and all, but I don't understand why the fandom wants it back so bad. It's really not that big of a deal.

-Kalos > Unova

-Emboar is by far the best Unova starter

Years
Here are some of mine:

-Shiny pokemon aren't that special.

-Spending hours trying to get pokemon with perfect natures, perfect IVs, egg moves, etc is a little ridiculous and is an absolute waste of time in my opinion.

-Competitive battling is overhyped.

-Pokemon shouldn't be judged solely on whether they are useful competitively.

-Team skull were pathetic. I mean really, team Skull was like another team Flare. They were sloppy, and had no real defined goals whatsoever. Moreover, they weren't menacing in the slightest and didn't even really act as a group. Instead, their motives seemed to vary based on the individual, and thus, it felt like it was a bunch of cranky thugs independently acting out as opposed to a calculated, collective group. They lacked any sort of structure and were simply an annoyance.

-Lillie is an incredible character.

-Bianca and Cheren are the best rivals. (Silver and Barry are also phenomenal).

-Kalos is the most beautifully designed region.

-Pokemon Contests, the Pokleathlon, etc are the best part of any pokemon games.

-PMD > main series pokemon games.

-Generation 5 was an excellent generation.

-Platnium has the one of the best storylines in the series (and is one of the greatest games overall.)

Last edited:

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
-Lillie is an incredible character.

This.

I really don't understand why so many people harp on Lillie as being a bland, annoying character that only serves to break up exploration segments and annoy the player. I've always compared her to N as their character is incredibly similar, yet whenever I do that in front of a crowd I usually get chased out of the room by haters. She had a great backstory and at times, you felt sympathetic for her when you realised her troubled past. I guess it's people harping on the cutscenes that probably causes the hate...

Years
Hmmm alright:

Not necessarily story, specifically, but playing Pokémon for the main single-player game is a completely valid thing about it to be primarily drawn to. It's not foolish or unwarranted to expect that that part of the game be fully fleshed-out and good, nor to refuse to excuse it being mediocre just because the postgame and multiplayer content is good.

Mega-Evolutions, Z-Moves, and those weird fusion things certain legendaries can do don't impress me one bit. The former two are just "What if Pokémon had Limit Breaks?" and the latter seems to be based in a similar mode of thought. Pokémon's combat system does have its problems and is in need of some rejiggering, but just slapping stock mechanics from other JRPGs over the top of it isn't going to fix anything.

I don't like Ride Pokémon and genuinely prefer HMs to them. HM moves, although they did take up a move slot, felt like it was your own Pokémon helping you explore the world. Summoning some random Pokémon I have zero attachment to is so hollow.

Gonna agree with Sinnoh remakes being unnecessary. Heck, I thought Hoenn remakes were unnecessary, since after HGSS every region was fully available within Pokémon's current… set of compatible games, for lack of a better blanket term.

Team Rocket is my favorite enemy team, not for nostalgia reasons—or at least not entirely—but because I feel like they're the most unscrupulous and realistically-evil. They aren't out to accomplish some JRPG Supervillain Goal, like totally overhaul all or part of the world for whatever reason or commit genocide against all Pokémon, by using the game's mascot legendary Pokémon; they just want money and power and don't care who they have to hurt, or how much, to get it.

The in-game graphics of the 3DS Pokémon games are boring, especially regarding the Pokémon themselves. They try to be too "on model" to the official illustrated art style and come across looking really plastic, and there's something, like… viscerally-unpleasant to me about the color choices, too. They feel too pastel and artificial and it's significantly offputting in a weird, subconscious way.

I don't like that GameFreak has increased the odds of Shiny Pokémon appearing and created so many ways to get them to appear easily. Their rarity was a huge part of their appeal, I think, and reducing that rarity also reduces the appeal proportionately.

People who talk about "something having changed" in between Generation I and now are absolutely correct in that statement. After 22 years… let's call it four and a half different game systems… and multiple shifts in directors for the main games, it'd be weird if something hadn't changed. The assumption that that change is incontestably for the worse in every regard, however, is something that I do take issue with.

I don't like plot-mandated legendary Pokémon encounters and especially plot-mandated actually catching the legendary. Part of what I always found appealing about legendaries was their being obscure, optional, unique Pokémon to find in the world. Always getting a Pokémon like that every playthrough makes having it feel profoundly not special.

I really resent that GameFreak keeps distributing all these event Pokémon already at level 70~100. Training Pokémon up is part of the fun, dang it!

Mewtwo is cute. You can't change my mind.

Popplio is a cute and good Water starter, you fools.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
- You can meassure how enjoyable a Pokemon game is on how little they try to force "story" onto you
- the best story of a Pokemon game is the one they didn't make you play through (aka worldbuilding>plot writing)
- in that regard: the games are way to static
- gen 2 postgame was boring and making the Kanto region an empty place was a major factor in this
- HMs are a neat method to force the player to strategize and people just aren't creative enough to deal with them
- less is more; that counts for both introducing new Pokemon, as well as catching ingame
- legendaries should be harder to catch and there should be a lot less of them per game
- also no second chance of catching them if you screw up (you either save in front of them or tough luck)
- Nuzlockes are not particularly creative anymore; they only exist because people are too lazy to come up with different challenges

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
- USUM was a huge cash grab, though that doesn't seem to entirely be an unpopular opinion these days.
- Ultra Beasts are really ugly and unappealing. Majority seem like they were drawn by children trying to make the biggest, strongest monsters ever.
- The same people that say gen V has bad designs bc of ice cream and a trash bag are the same people that let a magnet, a rock with arms, a pile of goo, and an angry Pokeball have a pass bc gen I.
- Charizard didn't need two mega forms.
- I think the amount of water and Surfing in RSE is fine. You spend an equal time on land during the first half of the game and in a game where the theme is land and sea, it just makes more sense.
- Alolan Dugtrio is the best Alolan form.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Not just USUM, but games like Emerald, Platinum should of never existed - the features of them been the first stream of games in the first place. Like those type of games kinda invalidate the exclusivity of the duo games and sorta serve no purpose other than cash grabs.

I mean I still like the games very much but... why make them in the first place when you can just work with the core games?

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
This.

I really don't understand why so many people harp on Lillie as being a bland, annoying character that only serves to break up exploration segments and annoy the player. I've always compared her to N as their character is incredibly similar, yet whenever I do that in front of a crowd I usually get chased out of the room by haters. She had a great backstory and at times, you felt sympathetic for her when you realised her troubled past. I guess it's people harping on the cutscenes that probably causes the hate...

I see where you're coming from, but I can't agree with you. (BTW, I don't think this is an unpopular opinion. A lot of people in other pokemon communities love Lillie, ( though I hate her ;) ) ) In past generations, we were the focus. It was our story. What we did governed what happened. Though our character didn't really develop, I felt like Alola didn't do justice to my progress. No, it was about Lillie. It was like being one of those deuteragonists in an annoying and cliche soap opera, who are literally the only logical people in that world. I felt like the story was abt Lillie (and pardon my French [pardon me again if u are French]) and her bull****ty "Z" mode. Why in the holy heck should I give a quarter of a damn abt how much she grew up? In Gen 5, I really liked N, because his story was interesting and actually appealed to me. The way Ghetsis and N's stories collide and pull into the story was awesome and it was really cool. But Lillie's story was just cringy and awkward. I mean imagine yourself standing a few feet away from your "friend" (I refuse to think of her as an ally) and her incapacitated mother while they have a tearful reunion and finally come to love each other. I swear I couldn't stop twitching from awkwardness for at least five minutes afterward. If GF wanted there to be another important character, I wouldn't have minded if they told us her story post game. I actually would have liked that. But nooooooooo they HAD to make the main story about her and her brother Gladion (who I liked). It was like it was her story, and we were just chaperones protecting her. I see a hundred people saying that her character development was "beautiful" or "meaningful and touching" but I say take all that shiz and stuff it in the garbage. Aint nobody got time for that... really though, I did NOT like the cringy cutscenes of family time. It was weird. And awkward. Besides, character development should be subtle and slow, not drastic and overwhelming. For example, Cheren and Bianca. Cheren's hubris faded and he slwoly became confident (in a healthy level). In BW2, we saw that Cheren's effort paid off, and he became a respectable gym leader, actually putting up a decent fight. Bianca went from being self-depreciating to confident like Cheren, and the game and story showed us her hard work. In BW2, she was the Professors aide. Did Lillie how us any change that we could respect? NOOOOOO. Just NO. Instead, we got a weird and contrived jubilant Lillie, which did not fit the aspect of urgency. Lusamine was doing something that could possibly end the world, and we were going off to islands with Lillie and half-shirtless men and taking shelter under an alcove when it rained. Taking our own sweet time... BTW, that scene in Exceguttor island made no sense because we walked under heav rains all the time. Po town, for example. I have a lot more to say (I can give a full sotry negative criticism), but I fear I've rambled on for long enough. Srry for the ranting,m but I needed to get that out. It was really hurting my ability to give positive criticism. So yeah. I'm not trying to push my opinion (its a fact btw :)) onto you guys, but I just needed to say this. Thank you for reading of you made it this far. Ur probably jobless if u read all of that, lol. But not more than me. I took more than 20 minutes to write it all (probably because I literally stabbed each key with unhealthy amounts of malice).

Back