• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about the task of completing the Pokedex?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I feel like there's probably a thread like this already and this will be locked very soon, but I really do want to know and I just can't find another recent thread about this.

But anyway, as the title says, how do you go about completing the Pokedex, or do you even try to finish it at all?

I'm playing X right now, and this is the first time I legitimately tried to catch every Pokemon in an area when I first explore it, and honestly it feels more like a chore than anything. In the old games, I used to just catch whatever Pokemon I actually would potentially want on my team, and I feel like that was more fun but now I feel obligated to actually catch 'em all since I've been doing pretty good with the Kalos Dex so far.

How about you guys?

Years
Usually I worry about catching the members of my team first, but recently I've found a lot of enjoyment in going back and picking up as many Pokemon as I can, especially in areas like the Safari Zone or even the bug-catching contest. I've never really set my mind to truly completing the Pokedex though haha. I think I would go mad trying to get each and every one. I guess generally if I had to catch tons of Pokemon, I would prefer to do it in bulk, with simple circumstances. I do remember my Black playthrough though, where I hunted down individual Pokemon, which was lots of fun, but kind of insane all the same.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I catch everyone available in every route, it sounds tedious (and is for most people) but I find it in my view the most enjoyable aspect of the game, catching Pokemon.

I plan to finish Y at the moment, then go back to my Gen III games, I haven't finished them all, I plan to complete the PokeDex on those games and transfer to Gen IV the ones I need only and so on to Gen V and VI...

I had the PokeDex completed on my old Black Version that I traded away for some stupid reason! I traded among the members here to complete it. I didn't have any Gen III/IV games.

So overall I definitely enjoy working on the PokeDex, much simpler than IV breeding and competetive battling, however I do battle occasionally using Pokemon Online simulator.

Years
Well I personally just try to do it because I think it's fun to try to fill out all the pages of the Pokedex. However, I always fail by the time the next generation comes out. I think in Pokemon Black I had 469 Pokemon recorded in my dex. If you ever need to trade for something let me know and I'd be happy to help :)

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I like completing the Pokédex. That's my main goal, in fact. I own all main series games and I like catching, evolving, and all that stuff.

I "completed" the National Pokédex in Gen 3 (all five carts), including Ho-Oh and Lugia, which I had to play both Gamecube games to get. Why do I use quotes? Because event exclusives, that's why. Having empty spots in a supposedly complete Dex felt really wrong and not satisfying at all, so I ended up swallowing my pride and using AR to get them. That's basically the moral code I set for myself from that point on when it comes to completing the Pokédex in older games: use AR to get event exclusives, and catch everything else yourself.

I plan on restarting all my games for various reasons, and fully intend to complete the National Pokédex in Gen 3 (again), 4, 5, and if Pokémon Transfer doesn't block the AR-produced older event exclusives, 6. I also had complete Dexes in all my Gen 1 and 2 games (including Mew and Celebi which someone else traded to me), but then the batteries in the cartridges died.

Years
Ive enjoyed it this gen, mainly because its a lot easier to do now with the exp share that gives all your party exp, and the battle chateau as a continues source of people to battle, the GTS for quick and easy trades and the online multilayer trades so you can trade with your friends easily.
Looking forward to bank now to transfer stuff over for the rest of the dex. Hope they are more generous eith event pokemon this time so i can get the likes of mew.

Years
It can be a decent task if you run out of things to do, but usually it's time-consuming and does little productivity. Although i'm not usually passionate about it unless there's some reward for it, and there usually isn't, except in, say, Emerald, where you get a Johto starter for completing the Hoenn Dex (did that back in 2009), or Black 2 and White 2 (got the Oval Charm in my main White 2 game about 3 1/2 weeks after I got it, and I completed the National Dex and got the Shiny Charm back in the spring). And then there's the Oval Charm again in XY, but that only requires seeing them all in the Kalos Dex, and I don't know how much more i'll do after that.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I usually try to complete the game's regional Pokedex. After I do it in Y, probably won't do it in Z (or whatever comes next). I almost never try to with the National Pokedex, especially nowadays (720 Pokemon? Yeah I think I'll pass). The only time I ever completed the national dex was in Pearl; I somehow managed to catch all 493 Pokemon that existed in Gen 4.

I do wish we'd get a good reward for completeing the Pokedexes. All we really ever get is a pat on the back and a piece of paper. They do give us the Oval Charm and the Shiny Charm now (well, since Black2/White2), but they aint worth it. It's not hard to get eggs to appear frequently enough, and even with the Shiny Charm and the Masuda method, the chance of getting a shiny is far less than I care for. Ok, you can chain for shinies or whatever, but shinies aren't something I'm passionate about.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When I was younger, I used to be obsessed with completing the Pokédex. While playing Emerald, I was actually pretty close as well. I had caught every Pokémon, other than Feebas and Milotic (and maybe also the Salamence line, but don't exactly remember). I'd spend countless amount of hours fishing, but Feebas was nowhere to be found. One of my friends had it, but she couldn't give it to me as none of us had link-cable at that time. Eventually, I decided to give up. Now, I really don't care about the Pokédex. All I look forward to in Pokémon games is a good storyline. :b

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I do like the idea if trying to complete a Pokedex, but as you need some Pokemon to trade (which I can't do due to no wifi access) and having to evolve some high-leveled final evos (like Deino) it feels like it's a waste of my time. The last time I was filling up the Pokedex was to get a better chance for a critical capture on those legendaries without forcing myself to use the Master Ball, but it still didn't make any difference at all. :(

Years
I usually like the collecting part more than the battling part, usually, though I plan to get into competitive in Y. However, before that comes work on the living Pokédex, as in, I wanna have one of every Species in my box =3

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
To be honest, I've been playing Pokemon since the late 1990's and have never completed this quest.

Back