• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure (PARODY)

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Sorry, I couldn't exactly tell what you meant there. *embarrassed* Was my sentence worded poorly, or did it just not make sense?

Both. And I couldn't figure out at the time how to reword it. Eh...let me try...

"No sooner had they done that than they found themselves standing inexplicably in the middle of Pewter City."

Something like that, I think. It doesn't really flow well for me in either case, though. Although that could be because I read it too many times.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
O'kay. I have to say, then I read the first chapter, I exploded into laughs. The 2nd, 3rd and fourth weren't, say, more silent. But when I read Ch. 5 I simply could not hold back. I mean, from pretty much the very beginning:

icomeanon6 said:
Nothing interesting happened while Gary was gathering wood, but the process will be narrated nonetheless because these chapters are too short.
And then this:
icomeanon6 said:
lenghty explanation... Younger, greener wood tends to...oh forget it, I guess I'll just skip ahead to the next interesting part.

Now if that's not laughing in the face of every cliché and absurdity in narrative in a parodical sense, I don't know what it is.

Then I tried to read the rest in relative silence. But I swear, once I got to the part of the freak tears in the fabric of space-time, that was not longer possible. I was really shocked at that part. I've read Viridian Forest has some kind of magical power, but COME ON!!!!!!! This is great! --- And by the part where a certain character who shall be called IcomeAnon6 and who just happens to have TOTAL CONTROL of that unverse made that parodically majestic appearance, I had to lastresort to lock the room of my door and gag myself with the T-shirt I was then wearing.

Oh well I guess I don't need to say more.

No wait-----! Please, no, the plothole nooooooooooooooo!!!!

Uff.... ahh.....

Safe at last, I think.

Now, I know I am not that worthy (yet) but I'll try to review, or at least to contribute something. For a start:

When the boy with the illegal Charmander, "Jimmy of the Dark..." whatever, made his appearance, I was left dangling for a while. It felt somewhat abrupt with him coming out of nowhere and it took me a reread of the previous two or three lines to get what was happening. Of course, with a parody like this, it's to be expected, I mean, what can be more metaclichéing that a kinda‑sorta‑rival‑esque‑visitor more than powerful enough to literally GaryOak'd Gary while shouting his apparently Japanese name, appearing out of nowhere at Viridian Forest???? Oh and the part where he explains the origin of his name is sublime. So, this being a parody, I should say keep doing things like that, and I'll get some more money for T-shirts! :D

As if you didn't already know, Jimmy then left by the same method as the previous occurrences. For the next five minutes or so, Gary and Sarah alternated between saying "Back," and "Away," each cycle resulting in an ungodly number of centuries that Jimmy spent in the void.

That part made my week. The sole attempt to picture out the poor little apparently-Japanese guy popping out and then back into those nifty insta‑plot‑hole‑y‑thingy‑o, made my mind go into a frenzy. It was like "Ohmy <insert divinity here> this is ridiculously laughable and I can't stop doing it" with muffled laughs (T-shirt, remember) between every word. I just pictured the intro of "Samurai Jack" and the wormhole passageways in "The One" for a similar effect while I was writing this. If you happen to know the show and/or the movie, I tell you: now that scene is recorded in my mind like those pesky and unholy public transportation radio music that you just can't get out of your head. Thank you! ~thumbs up~ :D

Oh and I love how Gary's short lines pretty much explain everythingabout himself. Ever since Ch.1:
"Sorry Mom, I didn't catch that. I was busy thinking about how my adventure's going to be completely flawless and unforgettable."
To Ch.5:
Gary asked, "Can a metaphor be a Ferrari?"

Well, I didn't see any serious grammar or orthographic flaw or anything, but that's because I'm not that marvelous at this point. For now I can only contribute with this extense and well intentioned One-liner "Do like. Rite moar." kind of review, you know, the ones we users shouldn't be writing because they are lame and borderline spamming? -- well, here it is, cleverly disguised in over 40 lines so I don't get a warning :D

A job greatly done so far. I like it. Write more. Oooops~~~!

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Does anyone know a good wall repairman? My fourth one is in tatters with this chapter. Enjoy!

Anon was sitting at his desk, diligently typing up a new chapter of his more serious work of fanfiction. It was coming along pretty well, when suddenly the phone rang, and he stopped working to pick it up. On the other end of the line, he heard his secretary say, "Mr. Anon, the Subconscious is on line two, and he says he's got to speak with you immediately."

Anon sighed, he hated it when his train of thought was interrupted for something as unimportant as talking with his boss. "No problem. Put him on."

The next thing Anon heard through the phone was the little voice inside his head (Don't ask how that works, I don't get it either). "Anon, we've got to talk."

"Go ahead, sir."

"It's come to my attention that you've recently put off work on the Gary Stu story to pay more attention to your other fic."

"That is correct, and I think you will really enjoy this chapter, sir. I have some really nice metaphors and other literary devices planned out for it, and the plot is going to thicken quite a bit, too."

"Anon...I know how much you like being taken seriously, but that story just isn't pulling in the readers."

Anon thought he knew where this was going, so he frantically tried to convince his boss otherwise, "Well, I know the readers tend to comment less on it, but overall it is definitely more respected."

"I'm not buying it, Anon. I want you to suspend that story indefinitely and get back to the parody. I've got an ego to maintain, here."

Anon was speechless for a moment, but then said with broken spirits, "Yes, sir."

After he hung up, Anon said to himself, "There has to be some way I can wrap up this idiotic parody and get back to my main fic. Damn, why did I have to make this one an original trainer fic, anyway? Those stupid stories last forever. Unless...yeah...maybe that could work."

With newfound resolve, Anon got back to his keyboard and began to write a blatant maiming of accepted storytelling convention.

Chapter 6

(Based on the immortal one-shot by Jules Verne, "Around the Region in Half a Chapter.")

The door to the Pewter City Gym appeared to be carved out of a single piece of stone, and creaked loudly as Sarah pushed it open. She walked inside with Gary, and found Brock standing in the middle of the playing field. "The name's Brock, welcome to the Pewter City gym. Which one of you two has the resolve and determination to take me on?"

Sarah replied, "I guess that would be me. Go, Bulbasaur!"

Bulbasaur and Onyx appeared in the stony field, when suddenly, Bulbasaur inexplicably evolved twice into Venusaur. With one whip of his vines, Venusaur threw Onyx to the ground, knocking it out cold. "Wow," said Brock, "I've never seen that happen before. Well, here's the Boulderbadge, bye now!"

Gary and Sarah left the gym with Venusaur, when suddenly a kind stranger walked up to them. He tossed them a Pokéball, and said, "Hey kids, why don't you take this Pokémon here?"

Sarah was about to ask him what kind of Pokémon it was, but the stranger left just as quickly as he came. Gary tossed the Pokéball to the ground, revealing a Kadabra who instantly teleported all of them to the middle of the Cerulean City gym. Misty immediately said, "I don't know how you two got here, but you're going down! Go, Staryu!"

Venusaur defeated Staryu with staggering ease, and nearly destroyed Starmie directly afterward. Misty gave Sarah the badge and said, "I have clearly been bested, you two should head to Vermillion City. Take that new express train out front to get there really quickly!"

They did, and found themselves facing Lieutenant Surge in no time. After hearing some redundant banter from the gym leader, Kadabra used a confusion attack on him. Conveniently, this resulted in Surge simply handing the gym's badge over to Sarah. After exiting the gym, Sarah asked Gary, "Do you get the feeling that all of this has happened a little quickly?"

Gary didn't have time to respond, because as soon as Sarah was done speaking, a nice stranger walked up to them and said, "Hey, do you two need a ride to Celadon City? C'mon, I've got a private jet we can use."

Not wanting to reject the man's hospitality, our heroes got in the plane and were on their way to Celadon in no time. At some point in the very short flight, Sarah said, "As I was saying, does it seem odd to you that I didn't even have any badges around fifteen minutes ago?"

"Not really, why?" was Gary's response. Sarah politely told him to forget about it.

Few things worthy of note occurred in Celadon City. Besides Sarah's Weedle curiously skipping a stage and evolving to Beedril, and completely kicking the ass of every Pokémon in the gym immediately afterward, it was quite an uneventful experience.

"I'm serious, Gary, something weird is definitely going on here."

"I don't know. I always imagined that a Trainer's ordinary day was something like this."

"I'm positive that it isn't. Something, or someone, wants me to become a Pokémon Master really quickly. Do you think that that Anon fellow might be behind it?"

Awfully perceptive, isn't she? At this point a plothole was placed down by me mysteriously appeared right below the two, sending them straight to Fuchsia City.

"Okay, now I know he's behind this." Sarah shrugged, and decided it would be best to act like nothing was out of the ordinary. Of course, there is nothing ordinary about beating the living piss out of a respected gym with a Pokémon that someone on the street just handed to you, but whatever. At any rate, after she beat the living piss out of the Fuchsia City Gym, thus earning another badge, Sarah sat down on the edge of the sidewalk and sighed. "This is just too easy. It's not really any fun either."

"This'll cheer you up," said Gary, holding up a piece of fabric, "Look what someone dropped on the side of the road!"

The piece of fabric had pinned to it all eight of the Kanto badges, including a piece of paper with detailed instructions of how to get to the Indigo Plateau. After seeing this, Sarah's eye involuntarily began to twitch. "That does it. I'm going to go have a little chat with that jerk. Gee, wouldn't it be great if I could go through the fourth wall right now?"

As soon as she said this, an entirely coincidental tear in the dimensional fabric of reality appeared in front of Sarah, drawing her in and placing her in a sparsely furnished office. She found Anon sitting at his desk typing diligently. You know, this whole narration business is still a bit ambiguous, isn't it? If I…I mean, Anon is both the narrator and a character, how is he, or am I supposed to refer to myself, or himself? At any rate, his (or my) train of thought was interrupted by a hard whack to the side of the head. Ow! I mean, "Ow! What did you do that for?" said Anon with a look of confusion on his face.

Sarah retorted quickly, "You know perfectly well what I did that for! I take my Pokémon training seriously, and you just had to go and give me a cheap solution to everything!"

Anon stood up and snapped back, "Well, how do you think I feel? Can you imagine how many brain cells I lose just by writing about you and that retard? Look, I've got nothing against you. I only put you in this moronic story because I wanted to write about someone other than Gary. I've got to wrap up this story nice and quick, otherwise I think I'll go crazy! Look at me; I've resorted to breaking the fourth wall for some cheap laughs! I'll bet this chapter has more grammatical errors, too!"

"Wait," said Sarah, "If you're the master of this universe I live in, why don't you just make everything stop right here?"

"Oh, you think ending everything is that easy? Just watch this."

The End

"See? We're still here, so clearly it doesn't work like that. This is an original trainer story, and that means it's got to end in a certain way."

Sarah was about to make a superb comeback to this argument, when she realized that she couldn't see any flaw in Anon's logic. "I see. That is a problem."

"So, you get it now? I need to give you easy solutions; otherwise you'd never even get past the Elite Four."

Sarah was about to quietly agree with this argument, when she realized that her capabilities as a trainer may have been insulted. "Wait a minute. What do you mean I wouldn't get past the Elite Four?"

If Anon had a visible face, he would have raised an eyebrow, "Are you serious? Do you realize how mind-bendingly hard it is to defeat the Elite Four? Only a few people have ever done it canonically and without the help of writers like me."

Sarah's expression began to turn to one of anger, now that her pride had been insulted directly. Anon continued, "You shouldn't kid yourself, Sarah. You're a fine trainer, and you understand the motivations and emotions of Pokémon very well, but you're not cut out to be the League Champion, even with that Kadabra I had that guy give you."

Sarah's eyes suddenly appeared astoundingly intense, as she said coldly, "Wanna bet?"

If Anon had any facial features beyond a question mark, he would have smiled a bit as he said, "Say, this story could be interesting to write, after all. Alright, you can head back to the official narration now to start training, if you'd like."

"I don't need any training. Just one question: Is this the first generation or the second?"

"It's the first generation team using second generation rules," said Anon, "So ghost types will be super-effective against psychics."

"I see. That will make Agatha more difficult. But no matter, just tell me the time I need to show up."

Anon looked at his watch and said, "Sometime later. It's almost 3:45 AM and I need some sleep."

To be continued.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
8D

That was epic, you cheapa...o.

Epic, epic.
And for your info, I don't think there were more grammar mistakes.

Oh, are you really going to quit that fast?

Yaziyo

Everyone's favourite Arab
Years
Wow, this story really has taken an unexpected turn. The way you've constructed this (whether it was intentional or not) just works so beautifully.

I found the first Chapter rather plain, I felt "Like no-one's every done that before" but as the chapters progressed, you really added something special to the mix. Your witty humour with clever sarcasm and irony, simply put, works really well.

Nothing interesting happened while Gary was gathering wood, but the process will be narrated nonetheless because these chapters are too short.
Beautiful.

The story took on different levels with each chapter, which I found funny, as it gave each entry a different "theme" or topic. And our protagonist assulting a priest was refreshingly different. I also found "Jimmy" the Wapanese kid really familiar, which is excellent in a comedic piece and the breaking of the 4th wall used as a recurring motif worked great. The first time it was introduced, it didn't do much, but after a while it became hilarious, with the use of your "Anon" giving Blue Sarah a bunch of badges and powerful Pokemon upfront. I would have liked to see our mentally retarded Pidgey be super and unexplicably powerful but using Sarah instead worked nicely anyway.

Honestly, I tried to fault it (and by that I don't mean finding grammar mistakes, which I didn't notice any of anyway) but when I went back on sections that I thought were weaker than others, I found it fits in so well with the rest of story.

Truly a great piece of work, I wouldn't be able to write something like this.

Light Yagami

Compulsive Battler#1
Years
Well, this writer has done more than what many authors would do in this position. It's been ended comically and very rapidly. Some authors would just let it trail off and hope no would notice. I just want to say, thankyou Icomeanon6, for not just leaving us hanging.

EDIT: GL getting out this plot predicament then. Hehe

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Well, this writer has done more than what many authors would do in this position. It's been ended comically and very rapidly. Some authors would just let it trail off and hope no would notice. I just want to say, thankyou Icomeanon6, for not just leaving us hanging.
First off, you're welcome. Secondly, you might want to check the story again, and you'll notice that it isn't actually over.

Thanks to everyone who's commented, and seriously, if you thought it was finished, look again. The next chapter shouldn't be up for a while, because I'm seriously going to continue my main fic.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Chapter 7

Around a month and a half had passed, and Sarah was still waiting for Anon to be ready to have her face the Elite Four. While she appreciated the amount of time she had been given to prepare, she was getting impatient. She had assembled what she considered to be the ideal team to defeat the Elite Four several weeks ago, and she was getting impatient. At the moment, she was sitting in the of the Pokémon League Headquarters with Gary and Pidgey. In an attempt to break up the monotony of sitting in silence for hours on end, Gary started speaking. "You know, I can't help but shake the feeling that I should've been doing something for the last month or so."

"You mean like buying a Pokéball for two hundred Pokéyen (approx. two American Pokédollars) and catching a Pokémon that's capable of standing up straight? Yeah, maybe you should've."

Gary looked down at his Pidgey, who was making an attempt to stand without being so lopsided. Of course, this only resulted in him falling over. Gary then replied to Sarah, "You may be right, but I don't see why there's any rush. I'll become the league champion eventually."

Sarah felt like scoffing at this, but realized that it would not have mattered if she had. Gary's head was simply too high in the clouds to be affected by things such as logical reasoning. Sarah sighed, wondering if she would ever get around to facin the Elite Four. Anon had been absent for so long that she began to wonder if the story had been abandoned. Just then, however, an announcement came over the loudspeaker. "Sarah Oak, please report to the main arena. I repeat. Sarah Oak, please report to the main arena."

"It's about time," said Sarah somewhat coldly as she stood up and began to walk down the marble hallway. Gary followed closely behind. He realized that if Sarah were to overcome this challenge, it would prove that she was his Ultimate-Mega-Rival of Doom. The ancient manuscript (Commonly mistaken for a Game Boy cartridge) clearly stated that the protagonist would face the antagonist in a climactic showdown after said antagonist had become the champion of the Pokémon League. For those of you who might have been confused, Gary was always, and still is, the main character of this story. Got it? Sarah is definitely not the protagonist; she is a minor character at best.

After a few minutes, Sarah reached the end of the hallway to find Anon standing next to a sign that read 'No biking or running. Please walk.' Anon spoke first, "Sorry for not writing this story for so long. So many people thought it was over that I took some time to work on the story that I actually care about."

Sarah replied, "That's understandable. So, are we going to get this over with, or what?"

"Yes we are. Just step through this door and the battle will start. Gary and I will be watching with the rest of the spectators in the stands. Good luck."

Gary, Pidgey, and Anon left through a side door to find some decent seats, leaving Sarah to enter the contestant's door by herself. Though she had done her best to hide it, Sarah was incredibly nervous about the upcoming battle. She had heard stories of how cunning, ruthless, and determined the Elite Four were. With her heart pounding, Sarah pushed open the door to the dimmed arena. As soon as she did so, she was exposed to the thunderous cries of a crowd that was eager for blood. She took the next few steps into her designated space on the field, and the stadium's floodlights all convened on her, leaving her half-blinded. A booming voice came forth from the ceiling. "Alright, Pokéfans! Please welcome the latest challenger for the position of Pokémon League Champion! I give you Sarah Oak of Pallet Town!"

At hearing this, the crowd's roar only increased in volume. Most of the shouts from the spectators were supportive, rhythmic chants such as "Let's-go-Pall-et!" or "Sar-ah-Oak! Sar-ah-Oak!" However, there was a sizable section of the crowd that was booing and using less than appropriate vocabulary to show their contempt of Sarah. Incidentally, 95% of these impolite spectators had recognizably Philadelphian accents. After a few seconds, the announcer spoke up again. "And now, to start off tonight's contest, we have the first member of the Elite Four! Give it up for Lorelei!"

As the announcer said this, the floodlights turned to the other side of the field, where Lorelei stood with a disturbingly intimidating look on her face. Sarah was unable to see this famous trainer at first, as her eyesight was returning only gradually. When it did return, Sarah glanced through the crowd to see if she could spot Gary and Anon. She found them in the front row near a corner on her side of the field. It was hard to read any emotion in Anon's face, seeing as its only visible feature was a question mark. Nevertheless, Sarah could tell that he was excited. She then looked at Gary, who was asking the Philadelphian standing next to him where he had learned all of those interesting words. Sarah then returned her attention to Lorelei, who was removing her first Pokéball. Following suit, Sarah fumbled with her belt to find a ball. As if on cue, the announcer said, "It looks like the battle is about to begin!"

At this, Lorelei threw out her first Pokémon, shouting "Go, Dewgong!" At the same time, Sarah dropped hers directly in front of herself, shouting "You can do it, Raichu!"

The two monsters stared intently at each other, and the crowd slowly quieted until there was silence throughout the cavernous dome. Of course, this silence was broken by a Philadelphian who shouted "Raichu sucks balls!"

The trainers and monsters on the field ignored the comment, and Sarah bent down and whispered some commands to Raichu. "Its first attack will be a ranged one, so be ready to dodge it. Dart into the field directly afterward. Keep away from it at good enough of a distance to remain evasive."

Lorelei was less precise with her orders, and gave the first official command. "Aurora beam!"

Both Sarah and Raichu ducked down and made an extensively practiced side roll away from the jet of ice and light. Raichu then sped off towards Dewgong, and began to move in a zigzagged sort of pattern before getting too close. Dewgong fired another beam at him, but he was moving too erratically to be accurately traced. After firing the second beam, Dewgong was temporarily too slow to dodge an attack. Sarah only had to shout the word "Now!" for Raichu to understand. He stopped moving, and shot from his small body a large ball of electricity. The mass of energy hit Dewgong directly, causing it to fall to the ground. It looked like it was about to get up, but Raichu again proved to be quicker, hitting it square in the jaw with a tackle. Dewgong's eyes rolled into the back of its head, and Lorelei recalled it with little change of expression.

The battle continued in a fairly similar fashion, with Raichu relying on speed and type advantage to stay on top. The only real trouble came with Jynx, which Raichu was too tired to face. Sarah was forced to finish the battle with an Arcanine. The continuing fights blurred themselves in Sarah's memory. She was so intensely focused on the moment that the battles were nigh indistinguishable when she tried to recall them. She would not be able to say which order she faced her opponents in, or even before which match it was that one of the Philadelphians urinated on the field and had to be dragged off by security. All she could tell you was that it was after her Kadabra finally sent a Dragonite falling to the ground that something truly memorable occurred.

Lance returned his fallen monster to its ball, and said, "That wasn't half-bad, Sarah. I'm afraid you've defeated my five dragons."

The crowd erupted into applause, and Sarah tried to grasp the concept of the arduous battle being over. As the noise of the crowd reached a crescendo, Lance shouted a single word. "However!"

At hearing this, the crowd quickly fell into silence. "However…Though it wasn't written in my lineup, I came to this match today with six Pokémon!"

Sarah's eyes widened, and her pulse began to spike. Lance raised a mysterious Pokéball that had the letter 'M' printed on its front. "Go! Show her what the Elite Four is truly capable of!"

He threw the ball into the center of the field, and a flash of red revealed the infamous king of psychics: Mewtwo. Sarah was initially too stunned to speak, but as Mewtwo raised its arms and pointed them at Kadabra, she shouted a desperate order. "Use light screen! Hurry!"

Kadabra tried to set up a shield for itself, but to no avail. A burst of psychic energy emanated from Mewtwo's hands, striking Kadabra in the chest with fatal precision. Worrying that he was dead, Sarah ran out onto the field and removed from the top of her bag a revival medication. Just as she gave Kadabra a full dosage, she looked up and saw that Mewtwo's floating figure was making ready to fire again. She managed to get Kadabra back in his Pokéball just in time, avoiding an even more narrowly focused blast of energy. She retreated to a safer distance, and removed the only Pokémon she had that might stand a chance against Mewtwo. She said while trying to look confident, "Go, Beedrill!"

As soon as Beedril appeared, Sarah shouted with desperation, "Evade his attacks! Get close enough to use your stingers!"

Beedril darted off, moving in a flight pattern designed to make ranged attacks difficult. It managed to get just close enough to attack, but Mewtwo moved out of the way faster than the human eye could see. It reappeared in the air behind Beedril, and delivered a kick to its back that sent the insect hurtling towards the ground. From there, another blast of a psychic attack was all it took to incapacitate it. Sarah's Venusaur, Arcanine, Raichu, and Golem all fared no better. Each fall was more painful to Sarah than the last. Resignation was not allowed under the league's rules, so the only way out of a battle was to have all of one's Pokémon pass out. Sarah removed her final Pokéball, the one that contained her injured Kadabra. She stared at it, and found that tears were starting to roll down her cheeks. She was not sad to lose, but rather sad that her friends all had to face that monster with absolutely no chance of success. She could not bear to use the time-honored phrase for sending a Pokémon into battle, but instead whispered, "I'm sorry," as she raised the ball behind her shoulder.

Just then, a familiarly annoying voice came out from amidst the crowd. "Sarah! Wait!"

It was Gary's voice, and Sarah turned to see what else he had to say. Gary shouted out, "Kadabra's got no chance! You've got to use another one!"

Sarah shouted back, "Can't you count? I'm out of other ones!"

"No, wait! Lance used an unregistered Pokémon without receiving an infraction! Going by the Second Generation Fanonical Rule Set, you should be allowed to use an unannounced Pokémon as well!"

Sarah's eyes widened. "You can't mean…"

Gary raised up his single Pokémon. "Use Pidgey!"

"Are you retarded?!"

"Listen to me! This may sound crazy, but I know he can win! I can sense his feelings, and he's positive that he can defeat Mewtwo! I think we've got some kind of special connection, like our brains operate at the same frequency or something!"

Sarah looked at Pidgey, whose eyes appeared to be focused until one of them rolled into the back of its head. She looked at Kadabra's Pokéball, and could tell that Kadabra was not mentally or emotionally prepared to enter the fight. If Pidgey was truly prepared, then maybe there would not be as many hard feelings after the defeat. "You're sure he wants to do this?"

"As sure as I'm Gary Stu from the town of Pallet!"

Sarah stood silent for a few seconds, and then put Kadabra's ball into her bag. She walked over to the stands, and took Pidgey into her arms. As she walked back, she made her voice heard. "I'm bringing in an unannounced sixth Pokémon!"

At hearing this, every Philadelphian in the stadium insulted Sarah using the word "f*ck" in some form or another. Lance scoffed at Sarah and said, "Go ahead! It won't matter!"

Sarah placed Pidgey standing up in the middle of the field, only a few feet away from Mewtwo. Since she had not verbally called out Pidgey, there would be no attacking for the moment. She returned to her designated spot outside of the field, and then turned around to face her opponent and stood strong. She yelled for the entire stadium to hear, "Go! Pidgey!"

Mewtwo raised its arm to obliterate the small bird, and did not notice that Pidgey was making a tiny ticking noise with his nearly unusable vocal chords. After he stopped making the noise, there was a brief second of silence, and then it happened. A light with the strength of a thousand solar flares burst forth from Pidgey and flooded the entire stadium. A staggering shockwave shook the very foundations of the place, and made many Philadelphians urinate involuntarily. Sarah was thrust to the ground by the force, and tried to shield her eyes from the blinding glare. As the dust cleared and her eyes adjusted, she could see some brown and white feathers falling before her eyes. She could not accept what it might mean, and ran out to where Pidgey had stood.

She did not find Pidgey standing there.

She found only a dazed, featherless, but quite alive Pidgey lying on the ground making a strange noise with its throat. She then looked over a few feet and saw Mewtwo's burnt, unconscious form. She had won.

As the crowd began to see the outcome, applause and cheering of unprecedented passion arose. Those listening to the match on their radios could hear the announcer say, "I don't believe it! That little Pidgey just used Explosion to clinch the victory!"

Sarah could not hear the peoples' screams. She could only hear the relief in her heart that Pidgey had come out okay. She picked up the featherless bird and held him to her chest, beginning to cry again. Paying little head to this display of emotion, an official came out onto the field, and raised a microphone to his mouth. "Ladies and Gentlemen! Tonight we have witnessed an extraordinary event! I am here to present to you the new Pokémon League Champion: Gary Stu, who has completed the Pidgey-Only Challenge!"

Sarah immediately snapped to her senses and said, "Wait, what?"

No one heard her. A mob of enthusiastic fans carried Gary on their shoulders out to the center of the field, chanting his name. Gary was too happy to speak. If he had done any hard work to earn this, it would have all paid off. Anon came out onto the field as well and approached Sarah. He said in a cheerful voice, "How do you like the little twists I just used? Between the surprise Mewtwo and Gary's unexpected victory, I think I deserve a medal or something."

"Oh, shut up," was all Sarah could say to him. She then walked over to Gary and handed over his Pidgey.

"Thanks, Sarah," said Gary with all the sincerity in the world, "I couldn't have done it without you!"

Sarah wanted deep down to say something scathing to him about how he had not earned any of this, but she just thought to herself, 'Whatever. I'll just let him savor the moment.' She then smiled and spoke aloud, "No problem, Gary."

Sarah walked back over to Anon, who was writing down ideas in a notepad for his other story. She asked him, "So what's going to happen to us now?"

"I'm not sure. I've never really thought about what happens to the characters after the story ends. I guess it depends on the last line, so I'll make it something that works out well for you, okay?"

"I'd appreciate that."

Before any nice conclusion could be brought about, however, a low voice that belonged to nobody in the stadium established its presence. "I've had just about enough of this."

The cheering ceased and everyone looked around and wondered where the voice had come from. Sarah asked Anon, "What was that?"

Anon didn't answer, and stared off into space. He spoke to himself, "No. It can't be."

The voice came again, "Are you listening? I know you can hear me, Anon!"

Sarah looked around with visible confusion, and Anon continued to stare. Just then, the roof of the stadium was torn off by some gargantuan, metal arm and was tossed miles away. Everyone looked up, and began to scream in terror. Standing above the stadium was a monstrously big humanoid figure. Its body was composed of what looked like gears and other mechanical parts, and its face was that of an old man's. Sarah asked Anon in a panicked voice, "What on Earth is that thing?"

Anon spoke with noticeable nervousness. "They warned me about him, but I always thought he was just a myth. What have I done?"

The voice again thundered down from the giant's mouth. "I lent you my powers in the trust that they would be used responsibly, Anon, but you have done nothing of the sort! You have used my techniques recklessly in mockery of my institution! Now you shall pay for your impudence!"

Sarah pulled on Anon's sleeve and asked him frantically, "What's he talking about? Just what is he?"

Anon spoke in the same tone as before. "He's the very force that allows this kind of story to draw a conclusion. He's the Deus Ex Machina."

To be continued.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
OMG ANON. You totally got with the "Pidgey Only Challenge". That was soooo funny man. With all these "challenges" (monotype, monspecies) going around in the games. It was really nice to throw that in there. Sweet job man. I wonder what's next for Gary... He's officially my favorite character. The guy act like everything is perfectly normal when things aren't. You the man!

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
Oh, this is very good indeed. I love your use of irony and sarcasm. Can't wait for the next part, really good use of the literal Deus Ex Machina.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Well, I'm back, and I'm sorry for disappearing for so long. School was keeping me crazy-busy, and I've been working on some very important non-Pokémon related writing. At any rate, here's the eighth and final chapter. Thanks for reading!

Chapter 8

Anon turned his head skyward to face the DEM (Deus Ex Machina), and tried to bargain his way out of the situation. "Now, let's stay calm here, big guy. This was all just a misunderstanding; I was under the impression that convenient plot devices were an abstract concept instead of a giant-metal-dude-thing that might kill us all. What say we just forget about all of the abuses of good writing I did earlier in the story and I'll just promise not to do it again?"

"I'm afraid it's too late for that, you impudent fan-ficcer! I've put up with writers like you for far too long! By using my techniques just to make things easier for yourselves, you mock the great authors and poets of past centuries! Now I shall avenge them!"

As he finished his spiel, The DEM tore off one of the stadium's structural pillars, causing a good section of the upper deck to collapse. He then raised it above his head like a spear, and threw it directly at Anon and Sarah. Just before it struck, however, it shattered into countless dust-like particles. The DEM's eyes widened. "What is this?"

Down on the playing field, Anon had one arm raised. "I didn't want to have to resort to this, but I guess I have no choice. You may be the most powerful of all literary devices, but I'll show you that self-inserts are no pushovers!"

After saying this, Anon took a firm stance and began to scream at the top of his lungs. He was not screaming any words in particular, but the noise he made should probably be transcribed like this: "YAAAAAAAA!" As he was screaming, a strange form of energy emanated from his body. No one could say exactly what this energy was, but there is no doubt that it was really freaking awesome. When this energy reached its climax, a lot of bleached, spiky hair shot out from Anon's previously featureless head. His figure changed from somewhat lanky to totally buff. I'm getting narcissistic just writing about me him. To the awe of everyone in the stadium, he flew up to face the DEM and began the most epic fight sequence of all time.

The most epic fight sequence of all time lasted a grand total of fifteen seconds, and ended with Anon having his ass handed to him. After using some unsuccessful laser-based martial arts attacks, he was knocked to the ground effortlessly by the DEM. He found that he had returned to his original form, and turned to face Gary and Sarah after staggering to his feet. "Well, I'm out of ideas."

The DEM was lifting up another support beam to throw at them, when a new idea occurred to Sarah. She removed Kadabra's Pokéball from her belt, and tossed it to the ground. "Quick! Use teleport!"

Mere moments before the pillar would have crushed them, Kadabra used the little energy it had left to teleport our heroes to the last Pokécenter they had visited. The three humans sighed in relief, and there were a few nice seconds of calm before it occurred to Sarah that this Pokécenter was inside the stadium's lobby. Just as she realized this, the roof of the facility was torn off, which prompted Sarah to return Kadabra to its Pokéball and shout "Run!"

They ran. Unfortunately, the DEM instantly noticed them and pursued. Even if they were out of the stadium, there was nowhere that they could run to and still be safe. While they were running, Sarah shouted at Anon, "Hey! You're the author, why can't you just write that thing out of the story?!"

Anon shouted back, "If this made a rat's ass of sense, it wouldn't be fanfiction, now would it?!"

Gary interjected, "You know, I'm starting to regret leaving that trophy back in the stadium. It was shiny."

Both Anon and Sarah immediately shouted at him, "SHUT UP!"

The DEM was about to crush them under his hand, when a voice rang out from somewhere. "Use hyperbeam!"

A highly focused ray of light struck the DEM's hand, causing it to pull back for the moment. During this crucial point in time, Lance and his Dragonite pulled up alongside Sarah and company. Lance urged them to get on, and they managed to climb onto Dragonite just in time for it to avoid the hand again. They flew into the sky hoping to escape from the mechanical abomination permanently, but they found that it could follow them with surprising speed. Anon was the first one to speak up. "Thanks, Lance, but can your Dragonite go any faster?"

"No, he can't. Don't worry; we'll try to lose that thing in the mountains. Hang on tight!"

Dragonite suddenly wheeled sharply to the left, almost bucking the trainers off of its back. As it sped through the twists and turns of the mountain range, the DEM seemed to lose its distance. Sarah spoke up. "I think we might be getting away. By the way, why did you decide to save us, Lance?"

Lance answered, but kept his eyes in the sky. "Well, I like this fic. It's usually tough to be a canonical character in fanfiction. Most of the time you have to get romantically involved with some stupid self-insert."

Anon then said, "Speaking of which, Lance, you know if Lorelei's doing anything later?"

"Watch it, buddy."

Just then, the DEM appeared out of nowhere and struck the Dragonite to the ground. As our heroes staggered to their feet, the DEM loomed over them and began to speak. "This is the end. I'm going to destroy you, Anon, and your stupid characters, too."

Anon replied, "Will my little dog be safe, though?"

"Yes, he should be fine."

"Phew, I was worried there for a second."

The DEM took its time in raising its arm to deal the finishing blow. Anon turned to the others and asked, "Well, does anyone have any ideas for a last-ditch effort? I'm kind of in a corner, here."

Lance replied, "Don't look at me. I'm just here to make the chapter longer."

Sarah said, "I'm lost. Most of my expertise lies in battling."

Gary responded, "I'm confused, too. What's an 'idea'?"

Anon looked up at the DEM's hand, which was still rising. "Well, we can't just bring in some all-powerful force to end the story, because that would be a Deus Ex Machina, and the Deus Ex Machina wants to kill us right now. We also can't beat it realistically, because this guy can kick our butts without even trying. I think this might be it, we're going to die."

Sarah said, "We can't die, we're the heroes!"

Anon shrugged and replied, "Well, there are in fact stories where the heroes die. I've even heard of stories where the hero dies and things turn out well anyway. Wait…That's it!"

Gary asked, "What's it?"

"A sacrifice! If the hero character is sacrificed, it should create enough conclusive energy to destroy the Deus Ex Machina!"

Immediately, all eyes turned to Gary. In a rare moment of perception, Gary realized what they were getting at. As he started to sweat, he said in a weak voice, "I think he might be talking about you, Sarah."

The minor characters immediately went into action. As Anon opened up a portal-o'-death, Sarah and Lance grabbed Gary and began to drag him to his doom. As they tossed him to his final resting place, Gary's desperate last words could be heard. "Hey, c'mon guys, let's talk this over! I'm sure there's some other way we can…wait! No! AAAAAUGH!"

Gary died, and the portal closed shut behind him. As soon as this occurred the DEM stopped and completely crumbled before everyone's eyes. Following that there was an eerie silence as words failed the surviving characters. Sarah was the first one to speak, "I feel kind of bad about all this. You know, killing Gary and all."

Anon reassured her, "Don't worry. I'm sure it's the way he would have wanted to go."

"I don't know, he sounded kind of opposed to the idea."

"Still, he died as a hero, and you can't ask for any more than that."

Sarah sighed. She looked around the landscape, and realized how much she was going to miss this magical country. "So, what happens now?"

"I'm going to end this story as soon as possible. I don't know about you, but I'm sick of all this absurdity. Don't worry, I'll make sure it's a happy ending."

Sarah sat down and held Pidgey in her lap. She then looked up at Anon and said, "Well, it's been fun, I guess. I'm going to miss you, Anon."

If Anon had a mouth, he would have smiled. "I'll miss you too, Sarah."

The unpredictable adventure was over, leaving Sarah and her Pokémon to live happily ever after for the rest of their days.

The End

(Really)

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Well, I've just read over this entire thing. And, despite the fact that I'm totally going to get warned for it, I have only one statement for you: This story was unpredictably... unredictable. Congratulations. The Deus Ex Machina thing was ingenious, Gary's 'heroic sacrifice' was pretty funny, the Pidgey-Only Challenge is totally something I''m going to try when I restart Fire Red, and so on and so forth.

And blah, blah, blah, good luck on your other story, blah, blah, you're really, really blah, blah, blah, and I really mean that, blah. Congratulations on your totally unpredictable story which was actually pretty cool despite the fact I didn't actually laugh at any part of it, probably because I didn't get most of the jokes, blah.

...I'll leave now. Bye! [waves]

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
And so it ends, right? I mean, for sure this time, they even took out the Deux Ex Machina, yes?

And, to my delight, with a nifty insta‑plot‑hole‑y‑thingy‑o, like the ones from last time I reviewed, but this one is a One-Way to Death. Come on, that heroic Sacrifice was way cool! I kinda feel sorry that Gary was not that happy about how the end had to be...

I have to say I found this chapter short when compared to the others, both writing-wise and narration-wise, but then, it was the One Final Confrontation, you did a good job playing the exact cards you did (self-insert v/s DEM, switching the perception of hero, the characters metamanipulating the story...) and it was thus better kept short, concise and comedic than waaaayy long like those Big Bad Dragon Ball Z confrontations, you know, where the characters grow Cloud-like hair but with aura and in more generous amounts and then stare at each other for let's see twelve more episodes.

of course, then, a very good job with the not-very-veiled DBZ reference and how you played it.

His figure changed from somewhat lanky to totally buff. I'm getting narcissistic just writing about me him.
LOL's. A self-insert is serious business, I'm very proud of mine although I'm kinda pissed off with him ATM; on the other hand I can see you can see yourself in a very positive and humoristic light. It's good to see an author who can keep so sane PPRR with himself self-insert.

You know all this strikethroughing text is goin' to eff-kiil me.

Anon replied, "Will my little dog be safe, though?"

"Yes, he should be fine."
Well at least DEM is honorable enough to Not Kick The (Shabby?) Dog... XD

I never reviewed to say how great of a twist and how many good memories it brought when you gave Lance the illegal Pokémon. Oh and then the Pidgey Solo Challenge. To this day it is one of my favourite parts to reread. So kudos then.

Sarah sat down and held Pidgey in her lap. She then looked up at Anon and said, "Well, it's been fun, I guess. I'm going to miss you, Anon."

If Anon had a mouth, he would have smiled. "I'll miss you too, Sarah."

icomeanon6❤Sarah-shipping, anyone? First to give it a Portmaneau Couple Name gets cookies? »» Sorry couldn't resist, you can kill me now.

But before one of those insta-plothole-thingy-o' drags me in, let me repeat myself that I enjoyed your story very, very much, that you gave me Mood EVs for several weeks so I'm all a happier and healthier person now because I spend my eff-time reading fan fiction instead of going out and working out (like if I was with this winter...).

Oh well, I can still survive longer than Inteligent!Gary did, right? :D

Bye, and I hope to read more from you later.

PS.: sorry I couldn't do grammar review, I don't feel comfortable enough to try it yet, but I hope you appreciate me telling you how I liked your work, in a more elaborate, warning-elusive "did like it, write moar!" kind of review. Yeah, like the ones I put when I have the chance...

Bay

Years
Oh man, sorry I didn't get to review my thoughts on the later chapters. Been very, very busy. -_- However, I managed to get caught up on the rest of the chapters (which took me a couple hours, actually since usually I take long when reading seven chapters in one go XD).

Anyways, first want to say congrats on finishing a parody. :) Seriously, many writers stopped writing their parodies after four or five chapters (like me ^^; ). That's a feat in itself.

First off, I like how each chapter has a different theme to it, like Chapter 4 are about battles and logic *coughtrainerssupposedtodiewhenconfrontingaTeamcough* and the next chapter plotholes and you did them nicely too. My favorite has to be Chapter Six, though. As much as I love the One Pidgey Challenge (epic by the way XD), Chapter Six I just love the gym leader pacing. Yeah, the problem is if going to write a standard gym battle story, be prepared to stick to it in the long run and longer if the plot is of the main character(s) in some sort of destiny.

A couple things though I want to mention. First off, at first I was amused by Gary's ignorance of the real world and his stupidity, but then that gets old fast. I understand you're trying to show that Gary is less than qualified to be the main character "that has special powers and must use them to save the world!" but it started to get less and less funny after Chapter Five and the running gag coming every few paragraphs or so.

Another problem is I actually felt you could make Gary's sacrifice more outlandish. Seriously, I've read endings of OT fics with destiny kids/teenagers and one of them gets sacrificed. After that, long description how the world is saved and such. Here I thought you could make a great opportunity to make Gary's death as heroic and out there as possible.

Once again, I enjoyed this parody a lot and congrats on finishing it! :D

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
That was just amazing, truly. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire story, and actually liked Gary's innocence (I'm going to call in innocence, to honor the dead). I did think, however, that after the plot-hole chapter you sort of forgot about Gary, and the times you did mention him were really just to remind us that he was the protagonist... Otherwise though, I really enjoyed it, and I'm actually considering reading your main fan fiction, because of your writing style.

Also, my two favorite lines in the entire fan fiction were both from Gary, they are: "What's a consequence?" and "I'm confused, what's an idea?". They both made me burst out laughing.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
Years
Best laugh I've had in a while. Such a great parody of literature in general and Pokemon

EDIT: I live near Philly...and I'm being serious

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
When I first got into fanfiction, your's was one of the first i read, it was an unforgettable experience and I thought the clever appearance of the literal Deus Ex Machina was an actual DEM to end it! Makes my head spin just thinking about it. Sorry, I wasn't around when you posted this last month so I couldn't review it just yet. Though, the appearance of Jax as your beta made me pretty sure there wasn't anything wrong with it.

Still, glad to see the fic ended on a satisfactory note.
Favourite lines were

"Of course! Today's the day when I'm no longer legally required to take care of you!"

"You're a loser and nobody loves you!"

Gary replied to this comment by saying, "I'll miss you too, Mom!" He then departed to begin his adventure.
That was so epic.XD

The first letters of these words, however, will: "S…! W…t…f…, y…s…P…!"

After hearing those words, Gary knew he was destined to be archrivals with this obviously evil girl for all eternity.
*Laughs uncontrollably*

"Hey, didn't you used to work in Celadon City?"

At this point, the pink haired nurse raised a handheld radio to her face and said, "Code 104, we've got a suspicious civilian, request immediate backup."

There was another pause. "Gary...Life is not a video game."
LULZ.

As if you didn't already know, Jimmy then left by the same method as the previous occurrences. For the next five minutes or so, Gary and Sarah alternated between saying "Back," and "Away," each cycle resulting in an ungodly number of centuries that Jimmy spent in the void

Gary asked, "Can a metaphor be a Ferrari?"

there was a brief second of silence, and then it happened. A light with the strength of a thousand solar flares burst forth from Pidgey and flooded the entire stadium. A staggering shockwave shook the very foundations of the place, and made many Philadelphians urinate involuntarily. Sarah was thrust to the ground by the force, and tried to shield her eyes from the blinding glare. As the dust cleared and her eyes adjusted, she could see some brown and white feathers falling before her eyes. She could not accept what it might mean, and ran out to where Pidgey had stood.
I have to say, at the end, nothing could surprise me....

Back