• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years
  • Ok. Waterku: If this was your first map, then... You've got a gift.
    Tile errors? hardly. the only ones I can spot are some errors with the tree shadows, and that's easily fixed (You didn't do It right on the edited version though... Look at the maps of the Nintendo games). The map is well-made. Yea, I think so. Great naturality (if that's a word :paranoid:...), and I like how u placed grass, bushes, so on. The only problem might be that the player can pretty easily avoid most of the grass... but if this is one of the first routes in a hack, then I don't think theres any problem.

Oh, right... I've gotta rate it... If this really is your first map, and if I would base my ratings on how experienced the mapper is and so on, then it would be a perfect 10. Although... I don't do that. So what about 7,5/10...

Hmm, sure you're not from Sweden, 'cause then, If u practise some more, I might have to change my sig sooner or later...

Here's a map of mine:

Name: Redleaf town

Hack of: FR

Comment: This just may be the starter town for a hack (havent decided yet, I usually get too tired and bored too continue with them anyways)
    About the dark things in the water... That's supposed to be underwater mountains, I got the Idea from DPPt and found out how to do it in FR myself, so that's all Pokestick-style, tell me what u think about the it.

Last edited:

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • Okay.
    So this is my first map ever..
    It's for my Hack, Pokémon Lumaria
    [I'm not actually gonna post the hack until I make some progress.. so yeah]

Map Name: Pokémon Academy [Simple, I know]

Spoiler:

Don't be afraid to give me your honest opinion.

Years
  • Okay.

Spoiler:

I'm a complete a hacking noob but in my opinion it's great!!! 9/10!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Okay.

Spoiler:

Ok, I'm gonna say 7/10.

Things I like:
    -The tiles used
    -For the most part, the mountains
    -Use of rocks.

Things I don't like:
    -How all the houses are identical, you could vary where the door is, size, etc without having to use a different house. It would make it look more varied.
    -Lack of trees / trees included are very controlled. Growing in groups of 3 or lined up against the mountain perfectly is not good ;).
    -The amount of signposts, not sure whether they are needed or not but they make it look repetitive.
    -The waterfall, I think it would be better to have another pond area there rather than a half river/waterfall that goes nowhere.
    -Big building near the bottom looks one tile too deep by my eye.

So in summary:
    -More trees!
    -Get rid of the waterfall.
    -Give the buildings some variety.

:D

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • Ok, I'm gonna say 7/10.

Things I like:
    -The tiles used
    -For the most part, the mountains
    -Use of rocks.

Things I don't like:
    -How all the houses are identical, you could vary where the door is, size, etc without having to use a different house. It would make it look more varied.
    -Lack of trees / trees included are very controlled. Growing in groups of 3 or lined up against the mountain perfectly is not good ;).
    -The amount of signposts, not sure whether they are needed or not but they make it look repetitive.
    -The waterfall, I think it would be better to have another pond area there rather than a half river/waterfall that goes nowhere.
    -Big building near the bottom looks one tile too deep by my eye.

So in summary:
    -More trees!
    -Get rid of the waterfall.
    -Give the buildings some variety.

:D

Thanks for the critiques! I'm going to work on them now! :D.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    my new map its called molten
    I decided to try to make a cave

3/10 2/10

1) The map isn't finished, theres a floating mountain line <<.
    2) The levels don't work out, look down the right side, theres the same amount of mountain tiles despite part of the area being one level lower. Theres quite a few examples of this across the map.
    3) Tiling errors between the mountain and the magma that you need to block edit.
    4) Odd shadows on the corners of the mountain - might have used the wrong one?
    5) Too much straight lines and squares for my liking.
    6) The rocks look like they have an odd shadow (see point 4?)

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    Ageangel 7/10 It would have been higher, but there isn't suppose to be tall grass in towns.

Akera 8.5/10 Nice tileset. I haven't seen lily pads in the water before.

Haefele 8.5/10 Some of the path's look incomplete, and the waterfall looks unrealistic. Change that and it will be a 10/10 :P

Last edited:

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
  • Heres one map of me, i call it "Vegetown":
    Spoiler:

Maybe I expect better out of you because I know you are one of the best mappers, but this map disappoints me.

I'll start off by pointing out that you did the waterfall incorrectly. The bottom waterfall tiles should be even with the lowest mountain tiles. Also, you used the incorrect riverbank tiles that connect with the waterfall. You did it right on the bottom left riverbank though. I see that you made a path that goes under the waterfall. I like the idea ,but unfortunately, it looks awkward. The placement of trees is done very well, however, in certain spots, the placement of the little trees seems unnatural. Path placement is wonderful; no complaints here. Water shape looks good except for the water around the upper right bridge. It's rather thin and then it opens up very widely. You only used one type of rock in the water too. There should be different kinds as well. Lastly, there is a mountain tile error to the right of the mountain where the second layer from the bottom is bulging out. You used a mountain on grass tile instead of a mountain on mountain tile.

7/10

Years
    • Seen today
    Heres my 12 map...
    This map is for the Dark Chaos,for Trebuh

warning: This version is not for the hack,which means it has playability 0.

I started normally,and then i noticed that this screws with the border block. X.x
    I should have followed haefeles method...
    Spoiler:

credits: Whatever tiles has the rombase of Trebuh,i don't know who to credit.

anyway,credits go to MasterOfPuppets for his method of making shapes and Trebuh for his style of placing trees>>> i combined both and this map is the result.Not very pleasing...

Last edited:

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
  • Heres my 12 map...

I started normally,and then i noticed that this screws with the border block. X.x
    Spoiler:

anyway,credits go to MasterOfPuppets for his method on making shapes and Trebuh for his style of placing trees>>> i combined both and this map is the result.Not very pleasing...

I do not have the eye of an eagle to noticed the error tiles{if there is one}but from my point of view..
    This map is good and i rate it...10/10..:);)

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Heres my map! :P
    I made it in 1 1/2 hour.....
    Spoiler:

i hope you rate it! :P

A decent map but the are border errors. Also you shouldn't include grass in starer towns. Couple of tile errors but a pretty good map overall
    6.9\10

Ok. Waterku: If this was your first map, then... You've got a gift.
    Tile errors? hardly. the only ones I can spot are some errors with the tree shadows, and that's easily fixed (You didn't do It right on the edited version though... Look at the maps of the Nintendo games). The map is well-made. Yea, I think so. Great naturality (if that's a word :paranoid:...), and I like how u placed grass, bushes, so on. The only problem might be that the player can pretty easily avoid most of the grass... but if this is one of the first routes in a hack, then I don't think theres any problem.

Oh, right... I've gotta rate it... If this really is your first map, and if I would base my ratings on how experienced the mapper is and so on, then it would be a perfect 10. Although... I don't do that. So what about 7,5/10...

Hmm, sure you're not from Sweden, 'cause then, If u practise some more, I might have to change my sig sooner or later...

Here's a map of mine:

Name: Redleaf town

Hack of: FR

Comment: This just may be the starter town for a hack (havent decided yet, I usually get too tired and bored too continue with them anyways)
    About the dark things in the water... That's supposed to be underwater mountains, I got the Idea from DPPt and found out how to do it in FR myself, so that's all Pokestick-style, tell me what u think about the it.

Eh, the deep water's not a good idea. In theory it's a good thing but the tiles shouldn't be used like that. They are tile errors and it looks sloppy. Other than that the only iffy thing I can spot is that massive path.
    7.8\10

I Need more rating for this and advice or comments...
    Name:Ginger Village
    Info:I work hard on this one trying to improve my mapping skills..
    Rate it guys..:);)
    Spoiler:

Alright.
    So I made some improvements to the map..

Spoiler:

Rate Away :)

Too square, empty and cramped. Try spacing it out a bit.
    3.6/10

Heres my 12 map...

Spoiler:

anyway,credits go to MasterOfPuppets for his method of making shapes and Trebuh for his style of placing trees>>> i combined both and this map is the result.Not very pleasing...

Trebuh said not to use the tiles.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years

• Rating: 10/10

Reason: Tree Variations and Edges... Hmmm... interesting indeed. The bridges are well done. The Ancestral Infrastructure on the top gives a pleasant look to the map. I like it. If this becomes playable, good luck to the players... :D

Suggestions: Try adding more rocks to the water? Haha. It's up to you. Well, nothing much to suggest. Good work.

Try making this playable... Just try. :D

Taz Maverick

Inactive
    Years
  • Heres my 12 map...

Spoiler:

Beatiful,just beatiful....i fell in love with this map. 8D
    rating: 10/10
    suggestions: more rocks on the river?

Years
  • Map Name: Route 142
    Map Game: Pokémon Wisteria/Pokémon FireRed Version
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: The path in the top-left corner leads from a little village. The path leading downwards leads to a city. The mountain leads to a cave. I know the path leading from the village is square. I've updated it now.

Please critisise honestly, but give reasons! Thanks!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back