• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
  • That was the same impression I got, Astinus. We never really had a comprehensive (or even non-comprehensive list): mini-topics in here, large topics with a lot of discussion available to them in their own separate threads.

And wow. @_@ Writing an entire fanfic before posting it? That's dedication. ^_^

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I personally tried to write an entire fic before posting it with those two stories I mentioned before. One I've kept my promise on (mostly because it's a Trainer fic which, now that I think about it, may not turn out to be a Trainer fic at all), but the second I cracked on and posted on FFNet. xD Nobody really pays much attention to anyone else's stories on the Pokémon section of FFNet anyway, though...

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • ff.net is a muddy, stinking pit of oozing Mary Sue-fics, with a few actual good fanfics that nobody reviews because they wouldn't know good fanfiction if it jumped up and bit them on the ass. I almost don't bother.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Uh-huh. You're better off here, at Serebii, or even Bulba. Sure, the audience is smaller, but they actually care.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • Oh, I so agree with you guys there. Sometimes, out of curiousity's sake, I go look at the new fanfics on FFnet to see if there's anything interesting and I get through three pages of fics before giving up.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Really, I put it there just because there are a few people who really do care about the decent fics and can actually spot them out (and also because it's an easy way to access chapters without bothering with Word).

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Those few are the exception, not the rule, yeah. At least they do the chapter index for you. It's annoying having to link them and stuff.

Bay

Years
  • Astinus, I actually have NE finished before posting it. However, there were MANY, MANY scenes I rewrote, deleted, and added before I posted some chapters. I could list them, but it might take two posts here. XD;

Anyways, I think the small bolded topics are the ones we can discuss here, but the bigger ones like the pokeball disucssion we had long ago can be into separate threads. Looking at some of the threads at Serebii would be a good example.

As for FFnet, I read some good stories there. At the moment I'm reading Negrek's Clouded Sky and it's interesting so far. I gave up posting my fics at FFnet though because of not having enough time and also not a wide audience.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • And Valentine, hah my review is more like a mini beta report? XD;

Oh, no. Just saying that the poor girl's looking for a beta report but can't quite get one within the walls of "lulz, fire."

Speaking of which...

I'm going to assume that the FFL would be used to discuss small writing questions, like the one we just had. I would just like a distinction made by other people before I set things in stone.

That and I suppose OT chilling. (Because there are times when we don't talk about writing either, right? Or could we actually say that we're doing that in the first post?)

ff.net is a muddy, stinking pit of oozing Mary Sue-fics, with a few actual good fanfics that nobody reviews because they wouldn't know good fanfiction if it jumped up and bit them on the ass. I almost don't bother.

While this is true:

1. The Mary Sues tend to be really ****ing hilarious. I mean, they just go above and beyond a ton of other stuff you could possibly encounter, and even then, the drama that the authors stir over concrit they might possibly get for their precious brainchilds are equally amusing. (That is, if you're not the poor sap reviewer who's getting the brunt of the flaming/drama.)

2. For every ten crapfics, there's at least one really awesome gem that still gets its share of reviews. (No, smartmouths. I'm talking about what's in the favorites tab.)

3. Sometimes, you'll get the occasional good reviewer. Farla's notorious for giving out concrit over there, and I've seen Silawen and Negrek pop up now and then. It's more or less a fishing game. Sometimes you get someone and sometimes you don't. (FFNet's usually more or less like a fishing game. It used to be that you'd get one-liner praise by the pages just for showing up, but nowadays, it's actually slowed down.)

4. *shrug* There's been worse. (At least one of these is probably going to get me flamed. *thumbs up*)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    That and I suppose OT chilling. (Because there are times when we don't talk about writing either, right? Or could we actually say that we're doing that in the first post?)
    I shall answer this question with a line from the new FFL:

And yes, everyone, you can still goof off and spam in this thread. The Lounge is a place to relax.

I was just looking to make a distinction between what belongs in the stickied Lounge thread, and what should actually be in its own thread. I'm not looking to curb the fun times that we have here, because the last time that happened, there was drama everywhere. What I am looking for is a Writer's Lounge for everyone to enjoy from all walks of writing life.

Right now, I'm just waiting for a lull period in this thread's discussion to close it down and post the new one. After that, then we can focus more on what to do with the idea threads and start work on the new guide.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • You missed a massive lull earlier this afternoon, I'm afraid. I'm sooo bored.

everytime you post i will make a meaningless reply so i get last post in this thread
    Unless of course Astinus decides to leave a 'locked' message. >:[
    Hell, I missed post 9999, why should I miss this?

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Valentine said:
    Are you browsing with or without the mature filter on? Because if you've got the mature filter off, it gets even more hilarious.
    Off, but it wants me to register to turn it off. XD; *quickly does so*

o_o Wow. XD;

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Some of the art is equally disturbing without the filter. I had a username, but I forgot what it was.

*last postage*

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Hai gaiz! Wow. Wow, wow, wow, WOW. Man I've missed a lot here. This moving thing which I've alluded to in some of my posts in the past (I think) has been killing me. We're scheduled to move out of this house next Friday and into the new house the Monday after, in the meantime staying at the house of one my aunts who are currently away on vacation, and then a night at a hotel in the town down near St Louis that we're moving to. From a Chicago suburb to a St. Louis suburb... (Still staying in Illinois, though) This new one will be a lot closer to the city than I am now; currently I'm about an hour and a half from the city while down there it'll be more like half an hour.

Anyways, so... What's this about a new lounge? 411 pages gotten to be too much or something? I'm sort of too lazy to read it all. I also see something about an idea thread or guide thread or something? If I wasn't so lazy right now I'd actually try reading everything here but I'm too lazy. So, someone fill me in on all the news.

kthxbye

Oh, also...

Sparkling Dragon said:
    Some of the art is equally disturbing without the filter.
    You don't know the half of it. I could show you all some really terrifying stuff but considering that most of it would be breaking the rules I think I'll refrain from it. A lot of it is technically not from DA but it's evil twin FurAffinity anyway so I'm not sure if it'd count.

Oh hey, also, if you read this Val I'm so sorry about being so lazy and not replying to AEM for two chapters. As said above life has been brutal to me lately, and on top of that it's making me exceedingly lazy when I do have free time. I have read them and will reply when I can but short story is that 13 is nice while 14 is great. And I might as well mention it right now and ask if you perhaps may have been influenced by Neon Genesis Evangelion when it came to naming with Adam and now Lilith. I guess they were inspired by biblical stories too though so it may just be a case of both you and them drawing from the same source.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • I can guess what FurAffinity is, I'm afraid. Literally, I'm scared.

I'm losing it. I need to write some moar Shattered.

*last postage*

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • We're scheduled to move out of this house next Friday and into the new house the Monday after, in the meantime staying at the house of one my aunts who are currently away on vacation, and then a night at a hotel in the town down near St Louis that we're moving to. From a Chicago suburb to a St. Louis suburb... (Still staying in Illinois, though) This new one will be a lot closer to the city than I am now; currently I'm about an hour and a half from the city while down there it'll be more like half an hour.

Ooh. Good luck with that, and yay city dwelling!

Anyways, so... What's this about a new lounge? 411 pages gotten to be too much or something? I'm sort of too lazy to read it all. I also see something about an idea thread or guide thread or something? If I wasn't so lazy right now I'd actually try reading everything here but I'm too lazy. So, someone fill me in on all the news.

The short form:

Swampoleongaurdian [sic]: "lol hi guys this is a story thread that im posting in writer's lounge!"
    Us: "'Kay. We're going to give you advice."
    Swampoleon: "wut u gais r meen!!11eleventy"
    Us: "Um... 'kay?"
    Swampoleon: "heres another idea thread!!!111"
    Us: "We're going to comment, assuming you're actually planning on writing this."
    Swampoleon: "lol jk gais heres another thread and another thread and another thread."
    Sparkling Dragon: "WTF."
    The rest of us: "Word."
    Swampoleon: "omg u gais r pestering me!!!1"
    Everyone and their mothers: "lols heres more idea threads!!111sixtytwo"
    Jax: "Uh, 'kay, so I saw all this going on in Writer's Lounge, and is anyone else getting annoyed?"
    liveitout: "I think idea threads are just there because people don't actually want to write. :)"
    Jax: "...Are you ****ing serious?"
    Remus Lupin: "Yes. That too."
    Harry Potter: "What?"
    Remus Lupin: "Oops. Too much information."

The rest of the FFL: "We can't stop these people from posting threads, but it's totally a problem. Seriously."
    Jax: "You know what? How about I just work on a plot bunny thread?"
    Bay: "Oh, by the way, Serebii covers all kinds of topics in their WL, whereas we try to dump all these topics into the FFL. That might be the problem."
    The rest of the FFL: "lulz, Serebii."
    solvino: "Hey, guys. 'Sup?"
    Kanto Lover: "Plz beta my fic here's the prologue?"
    The rest of us: "WTF, mates?"
    Astinus: "Oh, by the way, did anyone else notice how stupid some of these guides are? By the way, I'm also proposing we redo a lot of crap in this forum."
    The rest of us: "...YAY REWRITES!"

Now, imagine all of that played out with sock puppets, and you've got the entire conversation about revitalizing the Writer's Lounge in a nutshell.

You don't know the half of it. I could show you all some really terrifying stuff but considering that most of it would be breaking the rules I think I'll refrain from it. A lot of it is technically not from DA but it's evil twin FurAffinity anyway so I'm not sure if it'd count.

Pffthaha, why am I not surprised? Perhaps because of the endorsement that site gets from Fandom Wank?

Seriously, though, to Citrinin, yeah. Now, just imagine that kind of stuff in every fandom. I get the feeling dA consciously tries to adhere to Rule 34 because, seriously, if you can search for it, they've got smut for it. No exceptions. (And I totally did not test this, wut?)

Oh hey, also, if you read this Val I'm so sorry about being so lazy and not replying to AEM for two chapters.

Gasp! You wound me, Shrike!

Seriously, totally cool. I understand.

I have read them and will reply when I can but short story is that 13 is nice while 14 is great.

Thank you. =D

And I might as well mention it right now and ask if you perhaps may have been influenced by Neon Genesis Evangelion when it came to naming with Adam and now Lilith. I guess they were inspired by biblical stories too though so it may just be a case of both you and them drawing from the same source.

Comparing my favorite character in one franchise to my favorite character in another? What? Me?

Seriously, I admit I was a little influenced, if only because Evangelion constantly reminds me that there was a Lilith. (Also, because Lilith = lots of mindrape.)

However, Adam was by no means named after Kaworu Nagisa. As awesome as I think Kaworu is.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    It's actually the fact that the rate of topic turnover in this thread is much too fast, and topics that could lead to discussions that could possibly go on for pages are lost in the off-topic shuffle.

So the new FFL is going to start off with a brief explanation that the simple topics go in this thread, and the "big" discussions go in their own threads.

It's all part of a Writer's Lounge revolution, I guess you can say.

Don't worry, Shrike. You'll soon catch up. After this FFL turnover, things will slowly start changing instead of how quickly I'm moving this.

(The whole reason why I'm pushing this change is the fact that leaving the new unposted thread open in a tab in Firefox is seriously slowing down my laptop. I will be getting a new computer once I convince my mother that I do indeed enjoy my Sims way more than being online.)

If that covers everything, then I guess I can say "Thanks for the lull period, and here we go."

Aw, tits. I'll wait for five in the morning my time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back