• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chicago Schools ban home made lunches.

Banning home made lunches in Chicago Schools?

• Yes, this is a good option for the schools.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I honestly do not know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    https://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110411/us_yblog_thelookout/chicago-school-bans-homemade-lunches-the-latest-in-national-food-fight

Honestly, I don't think banning home made lunches will help much. From my experiences, back in elementary school, the food was just awful- beyond verbal expression, and more than half of the food in my current middle school is fast food, but at the very least, it's edible, and tastes decent. This certainly does not describe the term "nutrition". I think that children my age-no, children in any age group should be able to bring home made lunches.

I might as well insert a quote from the article:
    "I think that lots of parents at least at my child's school do think that what they pack is more nutritious [than school lunches]," she said.

So I want your honest opinions. Do you think that banning home made lunches is a viable option?

To the moderators: If in any way that you deem this thread inappropriate for younger members of the forum, you can go ahead and lock it, or let me know what kind of age limit I should impose on it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The thread is perfectly fine, Spanner.

I find it ironic that they're banning home-made lunches, not the ones they serve at the school. There's the real problem - the school food is tantamount to garbage in most cases.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Whaaaaaat, I haven't heard anything about this :/

Anyway, I don't think it'll do much either, I'm sure kids will still sneak snacks into class or in their backpacks, I mean I did that and I didn't have this ban back in school so now it's more likely.

I was actually going to make this whole case about food allergies but they're the exception so at least that's happening. School food is generally really bad quality anyway, so I can't see this helping much. Regardless of what they eat in school they can always go home and eat all they want and negate the so called healthy lunch.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Yeah...no.

It's wrong to ban homemade lunches, those government recipes are no more healthy than what parents at home would cook, and in some cases they're worse! School food is barely acceptable as is and if they tried to make it any more "Healthy", and this is experience from 2007, my last year of high school, then it really would be so unpalatable that it would be inedible to someone as non-discriminating as I am!

I'm not a terribly picky eater, there are only some foods I won't eat...and something has to be pretty poorly prepared for me to push it aside and not eat it if it's not on my "hated food" shortlist.

Here's the thing too, It's fine to ban fast food on campus and tell parents they can't send their child to school with a Happy Meal, or the home-prepared equivalent. It's perfectly fine for the school to ban sweets, sodas and anything else high in sugar in lunches, both served at school and in homemade lunches.

But NO SCHOOL has the right to ban homemade lunches outright or extend their reach beyond banning specific items from lunches.
    Personally I think that MOST parents who pack a lunch for their child is bothering to make WAY HEALTHIER choices than what the school offers in it's own cafeteria...and some children, especially young ones are picky eaters. You can't force these children to eat something they don't like...most decent parents I've met will only give them a tiny serving of what they DON'T like...and not expect them to eat more.

Last edited:

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    So ironic. Home-made lunches tend to be healthier than the crap they serve at my school. :o

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • My mom would have flipped if my school had banned homemade lunches. It's expensive to buy lunch everyday. I sure hope the school is going to provide everyone with a free lunch every single day because of this. :/ Honestly I can't believe they'd make a move like this without involving the parent council and, if they did, I can't believe something like that went through.

It is NOT the school's responsibility to make sure kids are eating right. Educate them on the food groups and proper things to eat, lying out the consequences of unhealthy food choices, but it's up to the parents to provide lunch. If they choose to pay for school lunches, that's fine, but the parents should be able to give kids their own lunches.

I really liked the food at my high school's cafeteria--it was really good--but if I wanted it, I'd have to scrounge up enough change to pay for it and buying a pizza + drink everyday (okay it was a very unhealthy caf XD) was like $5. I can't imagine having to pay anywhere near that every single day without a choice.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I sound like a parrot but whatever!!! :(

From my school experiences, most of the time, the ones who don't bring their own lunches end up getting things coated in fat from the canteen anyways, and those who do take their lunches are the only ones that eat healthy. They try to make the menus healthy, but that never works. Though idk much about what the food American canteens offer, but that's just crazy. If anything they should ban the canteens because really, those are the ones that are unhealthy. And then again, some kids really don't like going to the canteen - due to it being far away from where they are, etc, idk people are weird, and they'd just end up starving if it weren't for home packed lunches. And even outside of school, I know that those in the media at least have to bring their own lunches because they can't afford to stop off at a canteen while they're investigating a story. It can apply to other jobs too, but I can't think of any at the moment.

Just seems like they're not even applying an irl system to schools. Because hey when they grow up, they're going to have to realise not everything is provided by the canteen and school's the best place to learn that.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I don't think they shouldn't have done this. Homemade school lunches tend to be a lot more healthier (and cheaper) than crappy school lunches that makes us sick everyday (heck, even the pizza made me sick when I was in school back in the day). That's gonna hurt not just the kids, but the parents' wallet in general. School lunches are what... $2 now as far as I heard? Yeah, multiply that by 30. That's gonna hurt.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Just the picture alone on that article made me slightly nauseous. I don't have fond memories of school lunches when I was in elementary school. In fact, I wished my mom would have packed my lunches for me had she not been so busy.

I feel bad for these kids. =[

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    What does a homemade lunch usually consist of? For me it was a simple sandwich, some potato chips, some vegetable item, a fruit item, and a a handful of cookies or a Hostess dessert. To drink my mother used to pack juice boxes or Capri Suns.

What did my school usually serve? Overly processed cheeseburgers, pizzas, tacos, burritos, etc.

Yeah, I think this is a bad move. Not to mention it's unconstitutional.

What does a homemade lunch usually consist of? For me it was a simple sandwich, some potato chips, some vegetable item, a fruit item, and a a handful of cookies or a Hostess dessert. To drink my mother used to pack juice boxes or Capri Suns.

What did my school usually serve? Overly processed cheeseburgers, pizzas, tacos, burritos, etc.

Yeah, I think this is a bad move. Not to mention it's unconstitutional.

EDIT:
    These schools better have some kosher lunches ready each day or they're just asking for a Free Exercise lawsuit.

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Yeah... thinking back to elementary school food... how could it possibly be that bad? I've literally never tasted anything 1/10th as bad outside of school. Ever.

Are they sure it's healthy? Based on the taste, I'd say it's more like poison.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Look at this. $2.25 for:

A small carton of milk, three small chunks of what appears to be smoked fish, 6 baby carrots, two slices of plasticy cheese, a sliced ham and lettuce sandwich made with white bread and 4 of those bite-size things that don't seem to resemble anything. And a packet of sauce.

Cheese: by the looks of things, the lowest quality and least healthy kind. Bread: white, so is deficient of the nutrients found in wholemeal bread, and also probably made with bleached flour. Empty calories. Ham: Sliced and pale yellowish, which is usually a bad sign of heavy processing with the use of chemicals. Fish: if that isn't raw, it's probably smoked which is one of the least healthy ways to eat fish. The 4 bite-sized things: WTF IS THAT?! And are the parents told about their ingredients? Are they told if the lettuce or carrots come from a farm that uses chemical pesticides? There's plenty of parents who check up on these things.

To deny a healthier option to parents is just absurd. I wonder if they make exceptions, like for people with allergies or specific dietary requirements that conflict with what the schools serve?

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Just take a lot at that artificial cheese and the strawberry milk in the article.... Does that look healthy to anyone? The food they serve the kids is absolute crap, even the bread looks full of sugar, and oh look they gave the child sauce as well =_= Honestly school lunches are ALWAYS more unhealthy than the food the majority of the parents make each day. My canteen in Australia do not have a lunch room where the lunch ladies give you the food to eat, but they have a canteen which sells coke, hot chips, slushies, chocolate croissants, hot chocolate and pies etc. so obviously the only healthy option is to pack lunch. The food the schools provide is always unhealthy, because the natural stuff always costs more, and according to Jamie on his food revolution in USA, hot chips (potatoes) fall under the serving of vegetables so when they mention nutrition they aren't talking about the food we think of.

Years
  • I can understand trying to have more healthier lunches for kids in school, but look at the stuff they put out there. it's nearly like the food served to guys in prison! Until schools learn to cook better, I say bring on the brown bags, blow them up and pop them right in the faces of the Chicago school board!

The high school I went to had a great culinary arts course and the cafeteria food ruled all!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • My mom would have flipped if my school had banned homemade lunches. It's expensive to buy lunch everyday. I sure hope the school is going to provide everyone with a free lunch every single day because of this. :/ Honestly I can't believe they'd make a move like this without involving the parent council and, if they did, I can't believe something like that went through.

It is NOT the school's responsibility to make sure kids are eating right. Educate them on the food groups and proper things to eat, lying out the consequences of unhealthy food choices, but it's up to the parents to provide lunch. If they choose to pay for school lunches, that's fine, but the parents should be able to give kids their own lunches.

I really liked the food at my high school's cafeteria--it was really good--but if I wanted it, I'd have to scrounge up enough change to pay for it and buying a pizza + drink everyday (okay it was a very unhealthy caf XD) was like $5. I can't imagine having to pay anywhere near that every single day without a choice.

This.

The thread is perfectly fine, Spanner.

I find it ironic that they're banning home-made lunches, not the ones they serve at the school. There's the real problem - the school food is tantamount to garbage in most cases.

And this. (though there's absolutely nothing wrong with Domino's Pizza every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday...right? :cer_shifty: That's not garbage! It's delicious!)

Yeah...I pretty much echo all of the sentiments of this thread posted so far, not to mention many of the highly-rated comments in the article - this banning of homemade lunches is a ridiculous idea. Schools try to make healthy efforts, but many times, they just seems to fall flat. Prior to high school, all of my lunches were homemade, and they weren't just "pizza everyday". They typically consisted of fruit juice, jelly sandwiches (I'm allergic to peanuts), a snack, maybe a baggie of fruits and/or crackers here or there. I'd consider that to be a very healthy homemade lunch for a child, rather than stuffing someone with tater tots, pizza, and hot dogs (and two of those foods are foods that the article's picture depicts as part of a school lunch).

And the article mentions that the only exception is children with allergies... And there are other dietary restrictions, such as vegetarians, religious restrictions, children on no-sodium diets, children with lactose or fructose intolerance, children taking medications that are incompatible with certain foods and beverages. I mean, exactly who thought this homemade-lunch banning was going to be a good idea? There's a myriad of food factors that one has to consider in a daily lunch, and I don't think that Chicago schools have them all covered. And to adopt the stance of "Eat our food or go hungry" - that's just harsh and heartless, especially when said school food is expensive for those families living at or near the poverty line.

Furthermore, as another article commenter noted, "Not to mention those [parents] who want to just give their kids home prepared meals instead of institutional food. This is just another example of "big brother" thinking he knows better than you do."

And I mean, lunchboxes are just classic. Your own cozy little meal packed inside of a box or bag that (usually) showcases decor of your favorite franchise? How cool is that? *fondly remembers toting Batman lunchbox during elementary school*

Ugh..at first, I thought that this homemade-lunch banning issue was related to an economics issue, in order to stimulate the transfer of money into Chicago schools or something... But the actual scenario is arguably worse than that, as it's over child obesity, which parents, doctors, nurses, and scientists are already trying to combat. Just give the kids an option of whether to eat school food or bring homemade food - simple. Outright banning homemade lunches isn't going to help to solve the problem much, if at all, and there are parents who are actively trying to become more engaged in the issue and provide healthy choices for their child's lunch meals.

If the school wants to help families in this obesity and health issue, EDUCATE the kids on what foods are recommended for a healthier lifestyle, and in addition explain the adverse complications that can occur should students decide to choose junk food as their main food intake instead. Don't make the situation harder for them by limiting food choices to strictly what the school chooses. I really hope this "banning" gets repealed or something, because it shouldn't even have been instituted in the first place.

1111th post!

Last edited:

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I think I'll sum up my opinion on this by quoting a joke by Frankie Boyle:

(Regarding the answer 'between 20,000 and 30,000')
    "According to dinner ladies, how many minutes should you give pasta?"

Actually, I have a little more to say about this, but I'm gonna keep it simple:
    It's not the Schools business to make kids eat healthily. What they should be doing is educating students to the point where they can make their own damn decisions.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Like what Forever said, I sound like a parrot, but whatever.

I find this ridiculous that they have done this. Unless they have an amazing chief at that school, I highly doubt the food they are going to be serving is as healthy as what a parent can give them.

I had packed lunches when I was in schools and sometimes hot food from the school, but I always preferred packed lunches, because they were just nicer!​

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I find it absolutely silly that they decided to ban them. Anyway, most American school lunches are very unhealthy, which is usually the main reason why people make home lunches.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • I find this really stupid. I went to a Elementary school back in 5th grade in the middle of the year or so. I liked the lunches, sure they were unhealthy, but my parents couldn't even make a homemade lunch...

I just find it stupid. They obviously know in the back of their brains that homemade lunches are more healthy than school lunches. School lunches are completely fake. They give us fake, artificial food. They shouldn't ban homemade lunches, when they know obviously that homemade lunches are going to be made HOMEMADE. They are made with what the children LIKE and want to eat.

Back