• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chicago Schools ban home made lunches.

Banning home made lunches in Chicago Schools?

• Yes, this is a good option for the schools.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I honestly do not know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    This is outrageous. Schools exist to educate, not indoctrinate. Leave the parenting to the parents.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I agree with the majority in that the school shouldn't be forcing kids into certain eating habits, however the actions taken by the school are in furtherance of a noble cause. It's not as if the school is replacing the nice, healthy, delicious homemade lunches with Dickensian-style gruel. The article makes it clear that the food at this particular school seems to be of higher quality than of the schools we attended/are attending:

"Every lunch must contain whole grains, only reduced-fat salad dressings and mayonnaise are offered as condiments, and the meals must feature a different vegetable each day. Meal providers also must reduce sodium content by 5 percent annually. About 86 percent of the district's students qualify for free or reduced price school lunches because their families live close to the poverty line."

It's probably not the MOST nutritionally balanced lunch available, but it's a step in the right direction for school lunches (the menu that is, not the forcing of the kids to only eat what's on the menu). So... yeah. I still disagree with the forcing and the indoctrination and whatnot, for pretty much all the reasons described by people above, but the school is at least trying to help with the health problems affecting the youth, even if they're doing it in the most lunkheaded way.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    This school clearly doesn't know a thing about how the human diet "should" be based on why they made the ban...

I mean really. Soda is not "teh evil unhealthzor drink." That's alcohol. (Normally, I wouldn't even call /poison/ a drink, but hey, that's our culture.) Soda isn't even a fraction as bad, and is quite healthy to drink in moderation.

If I were the community, I'd start making lawsuits. I'm sure there's grounds for it somewhere. (Or at least, I'd hope)

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Its not unreasonable. Not at all. There are certain scenarios in which this can be justified well enough. I actually expected to see those when I open this thread. These are not them.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
    For once. I'm actually glad that I'm attending the school I'm in. I would be really screwed over if they were to do this because I do bring my own lunch over there. The stuff over there is like prison food, only worse!

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    This school clearly doesn't know a thing about how the human diet "should" be based on why they made the ban...

I mean really. Soda is not "teh evil unhealthzor drink." That's alcohol. (Normally, I wouldn't even call /poison/ a drink, but hey, that's our culture.) Soda isn't even a fraction as bad, and is quite healthy to drink in moderation.

If I were the community, I'd start making lawsuits. I'm sure there's grounds for it somewhere. (Or at least, I'd hope)

Lawyers will always find grounds for a lawsuit. I'd bring this up to a court of law claiming that a) it places undue financial hardship on families, and b) that is violates the parent's Free Exercise rights under the 1st Amendment since an exemption is only made for medical reasons, and not for religious reasons.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2011
    I like homemade lunches <3 but it all depends on how edible the food that the school provides if they ban homemade lunches :/

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Honestly, I find it stupid to have homemeade lunches banned. I bring my own lunch to school every day, and I see nothing wrong with it. But then again, the food I bring may be healther than what the school serves.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Lolno. Kids should have freedom of what they want to eat be it healthy or not. School food usually isn't all that great and is expensive as hell, from experience. Home-made launches save money and also give kids a measured meal so they don't eat excessively or too little. Parents should be able to monitor what their kids eat. It's funny this is actually real xD

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Wow that's just sad. I remember I had problems with school lunch back in Middle school like there would be a piece of hair in your food or something and you can't get another sandwich for free because of it or if it's not well done and not cooked. I always bring home lunch to my school. School lunch are terrible. Some are actually good but most aren't very well done. I'm so glad that I'm in in Chicago but I do feel bad for those kids that live up there that has to deal with not bringing their own lunch. I wouldn't even eat lunch if that happened down here.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Lolno. Kids should have freedom of what they want to eat be it healthy or not. School food usually isn't all that great and is expensive as hell, from experience. Home-made launches save money and also give kids a measured meal so they don't eat excessively or too little. Parents should be able to monitor what their kids eat. It's funny this is actually real xD

Nah, considering thats not at all what the poor areas in the city are like. I'd imagine many parents would be busier working mulitple jobs or being a bad parent to take time to make sure their lunch is healthy. Not all, of course, but easily enough.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    What. D:

How lame.

I remember the food we had in elementary school, AND highschool, and neither of those were very healthy at all. The salads would sit out and get all old, and the food they 'cooked' was mostly microwaved stuff, and now days they might have a more healthy menu but I doubt it's all that different. Good served in schools will never be anything totally healthy, and homemade lunches still seem more nutritious. Even sending your kid to school with a peanut butter sandwich, and some pretzels might not win the healthy food award, but it's probably better than what the cafeteria is gonna give them. Ew.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Egh, at least most public schools in Texas have free semi-healthy lunches.

But that sure sucks. Either stuff's wrong in the administrators' heads or they need more money. The way to save money is to cut funds to extracurricular sports. But obviously, a lot of schools in America have their priorities upside down.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    I think it's dumb that my school taps us in the lunch room, and docent allow us to cross the block to get some good food. Banning home made lunches is pure stupidly, I would have a stern talk with the principle if I was a parent.

Emonga

Autistic and proud of it
    Years
    OK really that is so stupid! You know maybe they should go after the places that make the bad food not the people who eat it! That is so stupid. And the one about banning chocolate milk? Really, it's still milk! Chocolate milk is the only kind of milk I even drink!

Back