• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Manuals.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
  • Do you take the time to read them, or do you just go online and not even take a second to look at them?

I definitely just go online and look at things like that. I have a Mario Kart Manual that came in handy when I first got it for the GameCube, but other than that, I've never really looked at any of them. In fact, I don't even know where they are anymore xD.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I miss the good old days when you would get a 20 page manual talking about the game. They are a lot of fun to read and make gameplay easier because I'm aware of certain things and controls up front. Now games only feature a couple pages with the controls and picture of the hud. Some downloadable games come with one, but it's a pain to read things on a tv screen using the controller to flip/scroll through the pages. With these games or physical games that have a small manual, I will look up guides from them online if I need help. For the games that still have big awesome manuals, I always read the entire thing before I even start playing.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • I read them if I'm not used to the game in question. When I bought Battlefield 3, considering it was my first Battlefield game, I read through the instruction manual. If it's a game I've played before, then I probably don't need to touch it. This was the case for games like Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted. Gameplay's similar.

TY

I read them sometimes, but usually i only read them if they have some story background in it or some info about units (in case its a RTS game) or classes (RPG games).

But i never look for the controls which i usually learn in-game xD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Yea, it's fun to read them sometimes =D I loved them in Neptunia games because they have pictures of Neptunia characters and few bits of backstory about them =D
    I only read physical ones, though. If I have digital copy, I don't use manual.

Yukari

I always read through the manual of games. I actually have a large collection of them. {XD}

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Provided the manual isn't under 3 pages I enjoy reading the story parts of it. I rarely look at the controls or status ailments (for RPGs) because you seen one you seen em all.

Shadeh

KABOOM!
    Years
  • I read them on my car ride home from game stop ^-^. Though I'm annoyed that most days they only have the hud, controls, safety, and all that other junk that nobody would bother reading.

TY

One of my favorite manuals come from Borderlands 1, where they gave you a little backstory on each of the characters. Also for most strategy games they show you the units in the manual and what they can do :3

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I like reading the manuals! Although, these days a lot of games don't have much in it... and they have tutorials in game so there isn't much worth reading anyway >< I liked the pictures and the hints of what to come.

The old pokémon manuals were quite useful, but they don't even do them anymore ;-; (at least, my X didn't have one).

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • I generally do look through them, but lately a lot of them have gotten skimpy or almost physically non-existent in some games I play. For instance, 3DS games actually have the manual as part of the game. You have to tap on an icon on the touch screen that takes you to a menu-like tutorial of how to play the game. Generally, there isn't much information beyond what the controls are and how you navigate through the game, maybe a backstory to the game if you're lucky. It used to take me a half-hour to read through the pamphlets, but now I don't even bother taking more then five minutes to because they're barely anything anymore.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Well theres always that tedious and boring drive home from the shops as you wait anxiously to go home and pop your cd in, I normally kill time by reading looking at the manual and all its pretty pictures.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I actually hate when a game comes without a manual, I never personally read them but for me to have the game complete it requires having the manual with it, if it isn't there it just feels like a part of what you have bought is missing. I specifically hate when it says the manual is online only, why buy a disc based game and make the manual online only. Plus The artwork is always nice haha

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • The "manuals" that games come with these days have absolutely no info in them so I don't use them. I just go online if I need any help with anything.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I actually hate when a game comes without a manual, I never personally read them but for me to have the game complete it requires having the manual with it, if it isn't there it just feels like a part of what you have bought is missing. I specifically hate when it says the manual is online only, why buy a disc based game and make the manual online only. Plus The artwork is always nice haha
    It's because times are changing and they are transitioning into completely digital games I fear...
    I miss the good old days when all you needed was electricity, a tv, a console, and a game. Now you have to have internet which is another monthly free, and not all areas of the country have access to cable meaning you are limited to what internet service you can get. Where my dad is in Wisconsin, he can only get 20GB per month and each GB over is $10! With having to be signed into accounts and having mandatory updates to continue playing games, the newer consoles just aren't worth it up there. That's why I tend to play older games on PS2 or GBA, or single player games on PC.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Nah, I never read through the manuals unless their was something that I couldn't figure out with the controls. Most of the time I would get a game and would want to play it so much tat I would just start playing and play for hours and hours. Now today less people take time to read manuals because they all seem to be online.

Years
  • I'm pretty much a religious manual reader, I don't particularity like the online ones though. The Virtual Console ones are garbage and I often times try to find PDF's of the original manuals if I can.

I've somehow collected a small amount of manuals throughout the years, including games I've never owned (aka a friend brought a game over, I read the manual and forgot to put it back in the case, or other similar situations)

One of my favourite manuals ever is over 200 Pages long. I'm not even joking. It's the manual to Civilization III, and they make sure you know EVERYTHING.

Also the original Fallout had a pretty beast manual.

Back