• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Manuals.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
    Oftentimes I'll pull out the manuals for the games and read them, look at the concept art, credits (especially voice actors), etc, but mostly the pictures :P

I do like to have them if I can, Otherwise it feels like you're not a very good collector. Not to mention it drives the price of a game waaaaaay up if you have them. That's pretty cool :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I prefer to look online because, most of the time, game manuals don't have answers to my questions. :p They only include basic info, such as controls, which are not very helpful unless you're completely new to the game. Only reason I ever look into manuals is to just view artwork, haha.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    I love game manuals, they're really fun to read and also some of them gives you tips^^

I was totally shocked once when I bought L4D2 for the PC and the manual was just a 2 sided paper saying how to install the game on one side and the other side was the controls. I was like....uhh.. seriously?

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
    lol I never read them XD if i ever need help with controls i just press start and look from there or look it up on my phone :3

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    if i read the manual, it's just to look at pretty pictures. other than that, no. if i have a question, google helps me :D

Years
    I do enjoy the manuals overall and kind of miss their "absence" from modern games. Looking back, the manuals were often quite elaborate with great artwork, and I do tend to pay a bit more when I'm looking for old games if they contain the manual and box, rather than just the game itself.

Years
    Even though I never really used them (only once in a while), I actually miss the days where companies put the game manuals in the game case. There are often times when I'm playing an FPS and have no idea how to place a C4 or something, and I'm sitting there mashing all these buttons trying to figure it out XD But I understand that the environment is becoming a concern so they're trying to do their part.

Years
    I used to read them. Back when there were actual physical booklets, like with GBA and DS games. Now with 3DS and Wii U games you'll get a one page sheet explaining the basic controls because most of the manual is digital. I don't really bother reading them unless I really can't figure something out, because they just aren't that interesting.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I usually check for online manual because it's far more complete than the original manual that I got from buying the game. However, I read the original one sometimes just for fun.

Years
    I used to read them, but a lot of games that I buy these days are similar to ones I already own, so I can get a grasp easier on controls, don't need to learn, etc., so I don't find myself reading them anymore.

That being said... If I buy a game these days, and it doesn't come with a manual, I'll be sad. :(

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Before this thing called the Internet came around, I read the whole manual thoroughly, so I can know what to expect in the game. Nowadays I use the PDF version of the manuals to read. xD

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
    Even though I never really used them (only once in a while), I actually miss the days where companies put the game manuals in the game case. There are often times when I'm playing an FPS and have no idea how to place a C4 or something, and I'm sitting there mashing all these buttons trying to figure it out XD But I understand that the environment is becoming a concern so they're trying to do their part.
    I like to think part of the reason they do it is to save on paper and help the environment, however I believe the main reason they do it is simply because it's a lot cheaper to have nothing physical to release and since a lot of the games are still sold for the same price regardless of how it's distributed, they make more money.

Back