• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Mod Sensitivity Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlier

Sure the staff here do a bang up job of keeping this place clear of trolls and spam. However I find the insensitivity being demonstrated by a certain unnamed moderator who's username may or may not rhyme with Neverbark, to be downright unprofessional and uncouth! Quite frankly some things have been said to me that make me wanna assume the fetal position and cry.

But rather than publicly name and shame this moderator who hurt my feelings I figured I'd suggest a mod sensitivity training course for ALL staff members, that way we don't discriminate against anybody and make sure we don't see these kinds of problems rise up in the future.

Who's with me?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I don't mean to be rude, but this is a silly idea. I think this is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to an issue between you and Everlark, and am having trouble taking your suggestion seriously.

Like many have suggested to you before, if you have a problem with a member of the moderating team, contact a higher staff member or perferably beforehand, take the issue up with the moderator in question via PM. There's really no need to drag the problem out of one thread and into another when I'm sure it could be more easily resolved through the aforementioned ways. It just creates unecessary drama. Why don't you take a break and cool off for a bit?

Anyway, spotcha around the forums.

Last edited:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Dude. What's the point if you're gonna make it so obvious who you're referring to in the first place, lol.

I don't ~really~ think those guys need it. But I'm quite curious as to how this 'course' would be conducted in your opinion. :p

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I actually feel the same way about another Moderator. I have not made a thread about it nor have I mentioned it to them but whatever. I usually hang out in the Trade area of this website so forget them. I can say though, if this particular Moderator ever wanted to trade with me I would refuse. I don't care if it was them trying to give me a 6IV Shiny Timid Mewtwo for my 0IV random Magikarp.

I actually almost hope they do message me so I can tell them to F Off for deleting posts and locking threads I don't agree with. These aren't even personal attacks against me, just actions I don't agree with. I feel your pain brother.

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    This is getting ridiculous. You seem like a really composed and rational guy, which is why I almost cringed when I saw this thread. My knowledge of the situation only extends to the 18+ thread, but even if there were other heated exchanges outside of that thread, there's no reason to respond in such a manner. I honestly don't know how thick your skin is, but regardless, this is an internet forum. Do not let stupid things get to you. As in any debate people will be adamant about their position, they're not trying to make you cry. And to address the suggestion, mods are chosen for a reason, I don't think it is at all necessary for them to go through sensitivity training.

Years
    Dude. What's the point if you're gonna make it so obvious who you're referring to in the first place, lol.

I knew exactly who he was referring to in that post, but yeah as Nathan said if you have issues with certain moderators your best bet is contacting a super mod or admin (aka orange and red names). Based on my experience interacting with certain staff members, I know that most of them were actually very nice to me.

If you're not comfortable, you could take a break. But I'm sure that the staff here are actually very friendly and some even admitted they don't like it when they have to give infractions. That's a true sign that they actually love helping the fellow members most of the time. Also, as Flushed said, mods are chosen for their positions for a reason, because they showed great contribution to their section of choice, and I don't believe the higher staff do these "sensitivity tests" when choosing new mods.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I think sensitivity training is a bit much as well lol. My problem with a Moderator is an on going thing though. Whenever I see them post I get a little pissy because I'm assuming it's something stupid. It usually is, I've gotten to the point of almost avoiding their forum section to avoid their posts.

I'm not really sure how to explain it. It's hard for me to not like someone online due to the lack of personal knowledge. I like most people, get along with most people, have little to no problems in my favorite forum section, (Trade Corner), and any problems I've had I've dealt with myself. I try to help newbs and new comers to the website.

One Moderator though.......

Note: All of my posts are neutral on purpose to not give the readers any hints on Name/Gender/Location etc.

Universal

Musician
    Years
    Well I guess one should take into consideration on how people may react to certain things, some which can possibly end up somewhat extreme. But who am I to say what would happen? I never have any problems with anyone mainly because of how anonymous I can be. I suggest "staying away" from that certain mod, otherwise if they continue it would be harassment.

Years
    Honestly - even ignoring the poorly concealed personal attack at Everlark - I don't get why Mod's would need sensitivity training. For the most part I'm pretty sure that sensitivity (to a degree anyway), fairness and organisation/management skills are big parts in why a moderator is chosen by the higher-ups. So why would they need to be trained in something they're already pretty good at. If those higher up in the staff chain of command (or w/e you want to call it) feel they aren't doing their jobs right they get the boot, we've seen it happen.

So yeah, I'll say this to everyone who has issues with mods. I think we need to remember that getting a fancy blue name doesn't make you a machine. Mods are people just like us with their own unique personalities and experiences as well as flaws and like any other person they can make mistakes or get angry. I wouldn't call arguments with a mod the result of the mod being insensitive for the most part - although I'm sure this can be the case sometimes too - but an unfortunate difference of opinion that has lead to an argument between two people getting a bit too heated.

Personally I'm pretty happy with how our staff here handle things for the most part and I think the majority are doing an excellent job.

Zet

Years
    When magikarps get their feelings hurt, they work out. You should doing this as well, and one day you'll be as big and strong as magikarp.

Mod Sensitivity Training

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I can't disagree with you, gimmepie. I get along with everybody on this website, except one. I believe the chance that they just so happen to be a Mod is just that, chance.

Perhaps I'm taking advantage of a situation though, I just saw an attack on Moderators, I have a problem with one person on this website, they just so happen to be a Moderator.

I will say though, while I still post in the forum section they Moderate, I have since joined other websites specifically to discuss the stuff being talked about on this website in that section. Personally I think it's bad if a Moderator annoys you enough to send you searching for other websites.

When magikarps get their feelings hurt, they work out. You should doing this as well, and one day you'll be as big and strong as magikarp.

Spoiler:

Don't be ridiculous, Magikarp Splash....there is no "working out."

Last edited:

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I personally think it's better to stay clear of this forum for a bit until you're really well, or PM to higher staffs like suggested by some of the posters above. I know it's not easy on my part (I've been there at some point), but I'm sure you can pull it through. Oh, and try to forgive them in your heart as well.

And even though I agree that mods should be helpful, I think each mods are different. Most of them are nice though.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I figured I'd suggest a mod sensitivity training course for ALL staff members
    If you really want me to train to get less insensitive, I'll try ;;

You mean that you want mods to be especially sensitive and careful, in comparison to other members? I can see that logic, actually. It's easier to accept being told off (by mods) if it's done in a friendly, nice way. It's just, like gimmepie pointed out, we're not robots. Just like you, we can react badly from something as little as a misinterpreted comment. We just happen to be looked down upon even worse than others if we do, since we're expected to have the patience of a hundred preschool teachers. No pressure, no no.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I don't mean to be rude, but this is a silly idea. I think this is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to an issue between you and Everlark, and am having trouble taking your suggestion seriously.

Like many have suggested to you before, if you have a problem with a member of the moderating team, contact a higher staff member or perferably beforehand, take the issue up with the moderator in question via PM. There's really no need to drag the problem out of one thread and into another when I'm sure it could be more easily resolved through the aforementioned ways. It just creates unecessary drama. Why don't you take a break and cool off for a bit?

Anyway, spotcha around the forums.
    This says it quite well. And there's some valid points in a few other posts too.

If you have a problem with another member/mod, bring it up with them sensibly or take it to a higher up. Then we'll judge on what happened and who needs sensitivity courses (although considering mods do this all for free, I'd wonder at the feasibility of 'sensitivity courses' for modding a Pokémon forum in one's spare time). Making a thread like this with rather unsubtle jabs is poor form, and somewhat hypocritical of your request for sensitivity courses. By doing that, you're just making yourself look pretty bad, really.

That goes for other members btw who posted (at least more tactfully) that they have qualms with a mod. Talk it with them, if it can't be resolved ask someone higher up. I'm pretty sure mods are still people last I checked and rather not have enemies or be disliked.

Closed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back