• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I have to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I respect others so I may get the same in return. There are a couple of things that bother me in PC so I am just gonna talk about it with all due respect. Sexuality is a personal preference, their is no need to let every single person on earth no what it is or force it on them. I just realized there are people on here who are not even of age, either something needs to be done about age requirement or people need to be more aware of what they say and how they say it. There are different age groups and different beliefs should they not also be respected as well.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
My first crush was when I was 11. No one told me to hide that crush from my friends because I don't want to force it on them and there was no way of knowing if I was actually into boys, I didn't kiss anyone for a few more years and didn't have sex until I was 18 so how could I possibly know that I was straight?

Who is forcing anything on anyone? I've never heard anyone on PC tell you you have to be gay. PC forces respect of everyone; it's a pretty sound rule, and it includes respect for other sexualities.

Also, there's no reason for me to let people know how much I love cheese. But no one tells me there's "no need" to talk about it when I mention it (basically every day, because cheeeeese). It's only the things that make some people uncomfortable that suddenly people should keep to themselves. You know, instead of the person dealing with the completely unreasonable discomfort.

Years
Were you forced to say you are gay? Otherwise I don't really understand lol

My first crush was when I was 11. No one told me to hide that crush from my friends because I don't want to force it on them and there was no way of knowing if I was actually into boys, I didn't kiss anyone for a few more years and didn't have sex until I was 18 so how could I possibly know that I was straight?

Who is forcing anything on anyone? I've never heard anyone on PC tell you you have to be gay. PC forces respect of everyone; it's a pretty sound rule, and it includes respect for other sexualities.

Also, there's no reason for me to let people know how much I love cheese. But no one tells me there's "no need" to talk about it when I mention it (basically every day, because cheeeeese). It's only the things that make some people uncomfortable that suddenly people should keep to themselves. You know, instead of the person dealing with the completely unreasonable discomfort.

I am not saying someone is forcing anyone to be anything, I am saying people are being forced to except this even if they don't believe in it. If they speak against it is against the law or something. I personally have nothing against anyone or what they do.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
You're forced to believe people can choose their sexuality...? Well, yes, they can, I never thought something like this as "being forced" lol.

Chill bruh.

Years
I think what Elnoors trying to say is that, There are parts of the forum that don't leave much to the imagination, shall we say.
Which could theoretically make some groups of people feel uncomfortable, and that respect and tolerance isn't just a one way street.
Its a perfectly good debate in its self tbh

Years
I think what Elnoors trying to say is that, There are parts of the forum that don't leave much to the imagination, shall we say.
Which could theoretically make some groups of people feel uncomfortable, and that respect and tolerance isn't just a one way street.
Its a perfectly good debate in its self tbh

Nailed right on head, thank you. I am glad you understand what I am talking about instead of getting on the offense.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
But what are we supposed to do, prohibit any discussion that happens to make someone uncomfortable? Then there wouldn't be much to talk about. This is the internet after all; you can't really expect to NOT run into something every now and then that makes you uncomfortable. And free speech and all that. You do have the choice to not look at threads that have topics that you aren't comfortable with. And yes, there are some people on here who could use to be a little more respectful, but that's also part of the internet, and we try to deal with them as best we can.

If this is in regards to specific members, it's better to use the report function or PM a staff member so things can be dealt with.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I am not saying someone is forcing anyone to be anything, I am saying people are being forced to except this even if they don't believe in it. If they speak against it is against the law or something. I personally have nothing against anyone or what they do.

You've done this a few times so just off-topic aside that you might appreciate: accept, not except. Except means "other than".

As far as it being against the law to say you don't believe in it...it's not. Many, many politicians do this. Many people do this. It can be illegal to use slurs to provoke someone, as fighting words aren't protected under the law. It's definitely illegal to harass someone due to their sexuality. But it's not illegal to say you don't agree with it. Just because there are consequences to your actions does not mean it's illegal.

Someone getting angry with you and not wanting to associate with you because you don't "believe in" gay people is not forcing you to do anything. You choose to put acceptance ahead of your anti-gay beliefs. I for one love the fact that in many places expressing anti-gay beliefs creates a negative reaction in the listeners; too much bigotry is encouraged by neutral/positive reactions in too much of the world.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I have to agree with Zekrom. If there is a specific member that is being inappropriate, crude, or harassing you (or anyone else), PLEASE do let the staff know via the Report function or a Private Message. Publicly calling out said person or group or thread tends to attract a horde of trolls and harassers that don't agree with your stance on an issue. The staff are better equipped to handle any complaints through those means than public threads.

As for threads of risque topics (Are you a virgin, have you smoked, sexual preference), PC's member base attracts people of all colors, creeds, lifestyles, and beliefs, so some discussion is geared towards our older members.

However I think it's also important to recognize this is a Pokemon forum and, as such, there shouldn't be overtly inappropriate content on the forums. I don't appreciate seeing certain things show up when I'm browsing the forums, but because of that, I avoid many areas of PC I don't enjoy and don't see value in.

This all returns to my original point: Report directly to staff if there is something you find inappropriate. Admins and super mods are readily available to help members with concerns and will definitely assist you when something is breaking the rules.

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
people can choose to say whatever they want; saying what your sexuality is (while potentially attention-seeking in some circumstances) is not even CLOSE to being against any rule on this site, therefore there's no inherent problem with it. if you still get squirmy every time someone says 'penis' or something then you probably shouldn't be on the internet in the first place.

Years
You've done this a few times so just off-topic aside that you might appreciate: accept, not except. Except means "other than".

As far as it being against the law to say you don't believe in it...it's not. Many, many politicians do this. Many people do this. It can be illegal to use slurs to provoke someone, as fighting words aren't protected under the law. It's definitely illegal to harass someone due to their sexuality. But it's not illegal to say you don't agree with it. Just because there are consequences to your actions does not mean it's illegal.

Someone getting angry with you and not wanting to associate with you because you don't "believe in" gay people is not forcing you to do anything. You choose to put acceptance ahead of your anti-gay beliefs. I for one love the fact that in many places expressing anti-gay beliefs creates a negative reaction in the listeners; too much bigotry is encouraged by neutral/positive reactions in too much of the world.

Lol thanks for the correction I see it, I have auto correct on my iPad and I am not the fastest typer or greatest speller. I am talking about PC can the age requirement be raised or something. By the way you brush my points off, you think all the people think the same as you were when you were 11. Yes the PC has many different topics but is games not one of the main topics, not finding crushes and what not. This is not politics I don't have an agenda and I said I am being honest. Also have you read Gardevoirs post does it not make sense?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
The answer here's been given and any discussion of what's okay / not okay, legal / illegal or grammatically correct / incorrect (what) is irrelevant. If you think that someone is doing something on the forum that you are uncomfortable with due to it being inappropriate or disrespectful or anything like that, please always report it or PM an appropriate member of staff. That's all.

By the way, elnoor, I'm sorry that your thread was previously closed without reason. That isn't really the best form on our part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back