• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

CSS: Bae or Nay?

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
  • I like CSS, I'm not an expert at it by any means, but from the little I was able to pick up I was able to make things that look good to me at least, and really thats the biggest problem I can see. People have different tastes, and what looks ugly to you, might look amazing to the creator. I'll admit I've seen some CSS that has made my eyes bleed, but I also find it hard to read long posts without CSS because of how boring they are. Yes I read real books, no they don't have CSS, but theres a difference when you're physically holding a book to when your staring at a screen.

All in all, CSS when used right, is amazing and I wouldn't stop using it for the world. To the point where I'd quit RPing if I had too tbh, making the CSS is one of my favourite parts.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    We also don't have any guides in the RPT on how to create any. We have user-created templates, that people can just copy and use, so they don't have to make any themselves, but the guides pertaining to CSS are located in computers and technology, if there currently are any. We used to have a link to one in the guide section, but as I was checking it seems that got lost when transitioning the old rules/guides topic to the new versions.
    ?
    CSS guide: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7509388&postcount=58

That's at least the basics, and it's still there. I know that guide is not super advanced, but it did its job.

If there were some option to turn off CSS in posts though, I think it would be a good compromise. It is my hope that it is incorporated at some point in the future.
    Edit Options ->
    01KXqkH.png

Not sure it's working, but you could try.

The only place I feel like CSS is appropriate is in the GM's posts-- that makes sense to me, because it sets apart official posts in a stylistic way that's characteristic to the RP itself.
    Still, that bit matters less to me than the fact that it just looks tacky to me. Still fine in OP posts, but not a fan in IC.
    Amen SISTER

To the point where I'd quit RPing if I had too tbh, making the CSS is one of my favourite parts.
    It's definitely fun to play around with it, and it's good that you enjoy it and are having fun!

My personal opinions line up well with Arsenic's and Loki's.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2018
    As a new person to the entire forum itself, much less this section, I haven't had time to look at and learn CSS. The one that I use right now is the format Deceptio I think gave in the PMD RP. So to me, when I post with my sucky CSS/ no CSS, I feel really intimidated with all the other people posting their super fancy CSS and so it feels as if my post is inferior based on how it looks. I do like CSS, but if people could tone it down for people like me, I'd feel alot better in here rather than intimidated and inferior.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • Uhm... why would we tone it down? Like thats... really dumb. Like I understand if people don't know how to do it, but you could always ask for help. I mean sure if you're just given a CSS its going to be basic, but thats because if its basic you can cut it apart and modify it much easier than if its 9000 lines of BB code. All of my CSS have been modifications of basic things people have given me, and yet I make them look pretty good in my not so humble opinion.

So moral of the story, don't ask others not to do work, instead if you feel inadequate why don't you take the time and ask them for help instead! If you go about it the lazy way, you won't have nearly as much fun! <3

Years
  • As a new person to the entire forum itself, much less this section, I haven't had time to look at and learn CSS. The one that I use right now is the format Deceptio I think gave in the PMD RP. So to me, when I post with my sucky CSS/ no CSS, I feel really intimidated with all the other people posting their super fancy CSS and so it feels as if my post is inferior based on how it looks. I do like CSS, but if people could tone it down for people like me, I'd feel alot better in here rather than intimidated and inferior.

I assure you nobody i ever going to judge your posts based on the quality of your CSS, it's the content that's important and even then we don't exactly hold you to stringent quality control, after all this is just about having fun!

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2018
    I assure you nobody i ever going to judge your posts based on the quality of your CSS, it's the content that's important and even then we don't exactly hold you to stringent quality control, after all this is just about having fun!

:P Thanks. Although I don't actually think that people would, it's just the feeling it creates is like that and makes me feel awkward.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    :P Thanks. Although I don't actually think that people would, it's just the feeling it creates is like that and makes me feel awkward.

I feel that, haha. Just think to yourself: "those guys put waaaay too much effort in that," everytime you see fancy css. That's what I do, haha

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • :P Thanks. Although I don't actually think that people would, it's just the feeling it creates is like that and makes me feel awkward.

I feel that, haha. Just think to yourself: "those guys put waaaay too much effort in that," everytime you see fancy css. That's what I do, haha

As a self-proclaimed css wizard, I can confirm that I put way too much effort in css, but just because I find it genuinely fun! It's like drawing in a sense, designing something perfect gives me joy :D

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Uhm... why would we tone it down? Like thats... really dumb. Like I understand if people don't know how to do it, but you could always ask for help. I mean sure if you're just given a CSS its going to be basic, but thats because if its basic you can cut it apart and modify it much easier than if its 9000 lines of BB code. All of my CSS have been modifications of basic things people have given me, and yet I make them look pretty good in my not so humble opinion.

So moral of the story, don't ask others not to do work, instead if you feel inadequate why don't you take the time and ask them for help instead! If you go about it the lazy way, you won't have nearly as much fun! <3
    For people who use css with a lot of images and colors and scrollbars and whatnot - would you be okay with people skipping over your posts because they feel like they are too tedious to read? An un-css'd post shouldn't be any problem since the standard font and colors are made to be legible on the forums. Would it be rude to not force oneself to look at your customizations? I guess mostly it could harm the RP if you depend on each other's reactions...

Not saying you personally make bad css lol

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Exactly (:

I wouldn't skip over posts who are heavy in css, haha. I mean, roleplaying kind of requires you to read others' posts, it's kind of the thing haha. But I might not enjoy the actual text as much if there's too much going on around it. Likewise, many might not enjoy reading my plain, colorless posts xD So it's a matter of preference in the end. This whole "css makes things look intimidating" aspect aside.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    If the CSS becomes more important than your post, or distracting people away from actually reading, then you're doing CSS wrong. Scroll bars, transparent image backgrounds, huge borders of bright colours, images bigger than your actual text etc. all inhibit the flow of the post.

CSS in the OP is good, in single posts often not.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Why are we even discussing this

I'm using CSS because I want to and it looks good. End of story, buh-bye Felicia.

Evyl

t r a g i c
    Years
  • how dare you not look at my
    pretty​
    css​
    praise blarzigord

Funnily enough, selecting the text here makes it readable.

Also I would like to point out that this is hardly what I would call "CSS". I'm just a fourteen year old kid, not some website developer, but Foxrally's post here isn't using a shred of CSS; it's using modified/simplified HTML to add elements. CSS is used to format HTML tags that have been designated what's called a class.

And ftr the "CSS table code" was just a cluster of div tags, hardly a table. You can't create a table in CSS. The cd BBCode tag allows for basic HTML, which in turns allows some formatting under the guise of CSS with the css-span tags (why you can't do these things with plain BBCode tags is beyond me).

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • For people who use css with a lot of images and colors and scrollbars and whatnot - would you be okay with people skipping over your posts because they feel like they are too tedious to read? An un-css'd post shouldn't be any problem since the standard font and colors are made to be legible on the forums. Would it be rude to not force oneself to look at your customizations? I guess mostly it could harm the RP if you depend on each other's reactions...

I've only ever seen two examples on here of someone using so much CSS or poorly coordinating it that their posts were such a tedious mess to read, to the point that I lost complete interest at a glance. Those were GM posts, though. Just meant I wasn't going to consider those role-plays, frankly, if I can't even think to read the GM's posts without going through added steps. As a GM, you have to make it a point to be accessible to everyone, and that does include how you present your first post.

I actually find myself disengaged to read very long posts that are not formatted in CSS in role-plays, only because I think they are too wide on the page and stretch. A very simple div of width and activated overflow can constrain that nicely, and then it won't feel like I'm reading a never-ending report where I can see I have so much more to go and become distracted by that.

If you skip someone's player post because you're just "intimidated" by the CSS, that's your insecurity. If it's a role-play where there's hardly any interaction, whatever. But you're doing a disservice if it's an rp based in character interaction. If someone has tragically clashing text on a background color or image, why not go out of your way to ask them to adjust it? If they refuse, copy the text and plain paste it elsewhere to read. The end. CSS is just styling, you can still read the point of the post if you go out of your way to do it and not care about how it's being fronted.

But at face value--and that's all it is because it's superficial customization of a post--if you want to use CSS, just make sure your text is always easy to access and read. Images should be supplementary, not an overpowering focal point in the way it's arranged, especially to the point where I have to scroll past the damn thing to get to your actual text. As long as it isn't inhibiting or is in the way of your text, it's generally fine by me. Backgrounds should not clash with text nor distract the reader, but rather be an aesthetic. I use background images and font types to set a tone, and conjure an image or a feel of what my post or character is about. Be considerate of the colors you use. High contrast is used to have one thing stand out from another, and dark colors with light text makes a blessing for a long read. Too much bright and too much white can strain the eyes.

People complain about scrollbars. If there aren't so many and used arbitrarily instead of the balanced interest of space for text, it's rather whatever. If I could use webkits on these forums, I personally would have customized my scrollbars to look like those simple, fluid, contemporary iPhone ones a long time ago, because rectangular can be clunky and the look can detract.

That's my tuppence worth.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If I could use webkits on these forums, I personally would have customized my scrollbars to look like those simple, fluid, contemporary iPhone ones a long time ago, because rectangular can be clunky and the look can detract.
    I agree on the GM post thing. That if anything, should be easily readable and accessible c:

On the webkit thing, I have seen it been used before o: are you sure they don't work? However, I'm not too sure on how they work myself.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • On the webkit thing, I have seen it been used before o: are you sure they don't work? However, I'm not too sure on how they work myself.

I should have rephrased. When I said "If I could use webkits on these forums", I mean in this instance that if I knew how to, if possible, use them. I'm still rather new to the idea of them, but with a guide on one half of my screen, I've made them work on sites that allow profile customization with HTML and CSS with no lightweight markup bypass. This site is run on PHP BB, so it'd be much more difficult.

If you can find a post where the scrollbar was customized, do link me. I'd be happy to dig through its code.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Yeah I don't tend to skip peoples' posts even if their CSS is horrible-- UNLESS they choose one of those fonts that are really harsh on the eyes... Then I skip it. (Especially when it has nothing to do with my character anyway?) For the people who insist on blinding font colors, I just highlight the post and read it and it's usually enough to make it more legible. /thumbsup

Also, it might be because of the extension I have installed-- but my scrollbars are all either hidden or the nice simple thin iphone-style scroll bars :0

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2016
    As a newbie to the PokeCommunity forums and to CSS in general (back when I started RPing, CSS posts were Not a Thing), I picked up a simple template, made a few tiny edits (font size, font face, width, etc.) and am running with that. Not super fancy, but I think that well-done CSS templates frame posts very nicely and make them look better than just straight-up posting, if that makes sense.

One thing in particular that I am kind of picky about is width; I really hate how the width of PC forums flattens everything out. It's fine and doesn't bother me in OoC posts, but in IC posts I like my paragraphs to look nice and compact.

Re: other peoples' decisions on whether to use them or not, though, I'm largely indifferent; a nice template is just a little "Oh, that's nice" perk; a tacky one is only really a negative if it makes reading your post impossible; a total lack of one is also fine.

Back