• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playing with Genres

Years
  • Whats your favorite kind of genre to roleplay? Perhaps an epic midieval tale, or a futuristic sci-fi? Mystery, horror, action, or maybe just a slice of life type of thing. What's most enjoyable for you?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I like a lot of different settings, everywhere from medieval to sci-fi, but I'm a bit picky on my genres. I don't enjoy anything that would classify as romantic, as the main meat of those stories is in the romance, while I feel those type of storylines are way better utilized as personal archs. I'd be a little picky if I was planning on joining a mystery or horror RP, because those genres sound like they're complicated to pull off, and would involve a lot of mechanics. It's a lot easier to join in a simple action or adventure RP.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I love a well crafted plot, preferably with some supernatural themes. I'm not overly keen on too realistic genres, even if realistic settings are okay with a bit of cool powers or something to spice things up!

I would probably enjoy a futuristic sci-fi (with well explained setting) more than a medieval tale. But that's just because medieval stuff I've seen here has been a bit too serious for my liking.

(omg YES we posted in succession, look at the prettyness skdjflksjl<333)

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years
  • Errr, I'm not sure I fit here, posting after the legendary trio and all...so uhh....
    0A673Kj.jpg
    Quaaaayyyyg! <_< >_>

I've never been very picky about henre, but I often find the prospect of joining some of the stranger ones very interesting even if I wouldn't want to GM my own. Never mind the fact that my first and only slightly successful GM attempt was with a fairly weird RP

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • Fantasy, supernatural/powered and medieval-y type roleplays are my jam. I enjoy SciFi too, but more when it leans on the sci-fantasy end of the spectrum. Though I will take a stab at anything, if it piques my interest enough. Generally I prefer something that's got a bit of adventure than something in a slice-of-life vein (though this + powers/magic can be fun).

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    I like a lot of different settings, everywhere from medieval to sci-fi, but I'm a bit picky on my genres. I don't enjoy anything that would classify as romantic, as the main meat of those stories is in the romance, while I feel those type of storylines are way better utilized as personal archs. I'd be a little picky if I was planning on joining a mystery or horror RP, because those genres sound like they're complicated to pull off, and would involve a lot of mechanics. It's a lot easier to join in a simple action or adventure RP.

My name's SV, and I approve of this message.

I agree, I love sci fi by far the most, but also fantasy.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • As long as the story looks interesting then it doesn't really matter what genre it is. I've not really done a SoL yet (I started to but it died), but I'm sure I'd find enjoyment in it as well as all the others.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think I would really enjoy playing in a tight knit RP that started out as a slice of life but that became a supernatural mystery as we went on. It sounds very anime-ish, haha, but yeah I haven't been part of something like that since Atlantis, if that even counts since it was declared to be pretty grandeur with the Atlanteans from the get go. Maybe Gilded Halls fit the bill too, or Cloud 2.0 but that was so short ;;

Because in a RP like that, I could create a believable human character that grew significant and interesting through the events and possible powers they encountered and gathered.

That's what would interest me, but I guess it can't be counted as my favorite genre at the moment since I've not joined those kinds of RPs in a while. Maybe it's time for a focus shift in my ways c:

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I really don't have a preference, if a RP seems interesting then I'll want to join. The only RP I'll find myself being less likely to join are journey RPs (but even those aren't 100% out of the question).

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Journey RPs and PMD RPs if Pokemon RP is concerned. I like the pacing of the story and the plot and the vast amount of characters in it.

If we're not talking of Pokemon RPs however, I like medieval style of RPs. It brings back memories from Pillars of the Earth (which is my favorite book of all time)

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • Mm I really like RPs that are in the real world during modern times, but with a twist kind of like Rika said lol

It's definitely easier for me to write/put myself in the characters shoes cause since it's set in modern world and idk i've always just been drawn to these types of RPs

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2016
    If it's going to be a Pokemon RP, I'm only really interested in your standard trainer with Pokemon journey plots. I mean, all for additional plot twists and overarching stuff going on, but I don't have any interest in playing out wild Pokemon, sentient Pokemon, human-Pokemon hybrids, etc.

Otherwise, I'm super into modern fantasy/modern supernatural. I've done sci-fi before (applied in a way that made it feel a lot more like fantasy), and really loved that as well, but modern supernatural stuff is where it's at.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Fantasy. Fantasy. Fantasy.

Give it all to me, I want them allllll. Especially, high fantasy settings.

Other than that I always like a mixture of genres as well. Modern day mixed with fantasy, horror mixed with fantasy, I think you get the point.

Back