• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen 5th Gen Pokemon of the Week #8: Emolga

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • 5th Gen Pokemon of the Week #8: Emolga

Emolga is an Electric/Flying type Pokémon who pretty much resembles a flying squirrel. It has yellow winglike flaps connected to its three-fingered arms. It can use these flaps can be used to glide from tree to tree, and it can discharge electricity while gliding. Its feet are white and fairly small and its black tail is in a jagged shape! The Gym Leader, Elesa uses Emolga along with Volt Switch as her strategy.

Moves via. Level Up:

--- Thunder Shock
    4 Quick Attack
    7 Tail Whip
    10 Charge
    13 Spark
    15 Nuzzle
    16 Pursuit
    19 Double Team
    22 Shock Wave
    26 Electro Ball
    30 Acrobatics
    34 Light Screen
    38 Encore
    42 Volt Switch
    46 Agility
    50 Discharge

So, what do you think about Emolga in general? Do you think it has potential to be better, or does it have a viable niche? Any thoughts at all? Feel free to share!

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm not gonna lie, when Emolga was first revealed during the pre-release period for BW, I pretty much hated it. Like, I dunno, I guess I was just sick of seeing Pikachu 2: Electric Boogaloo by that point? Or something?

But the games were released, and seeing Elesa use Emolga so effectively in her Gym gave me some newfound respect (and some irritation, I'll admit) at the flying squirrel. Then on the very next route I was lucky enough to find one by chance in the wild. So I caught him, and I took him with me all the way through to the post-game!

I really can't believe I used to hate Emolga... it's just so cute and happy! It's one of my favorite electric rodents now, along with Dedenne and Raichu.

I've seen some people use Emolga competitively at fairly low ranking to some success, but sadly it's not very competitively viable. I think that's okay, though, it's fine as it is in terms of Abilities and movepool.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I've always loved Emolga, but was rather dissapointed it turned to not be the evolution to Pachirisu. Out of all the electric rodents, Pachi and Emoga are my personal favorites :P

Years
  • I love adorable Electric-types, don't get me wrong, and Emolga was definitely a unique entry in the Pikaclone field with its Flying-type completely removing its Ground weakness. Elesa also knows how to use the flying squirrel in a deadly manner, in the form of Volt Switch, and since it's hard to find a good super-effective counter it makes her one of the most infamously hard Unova Gym Leaders to date.

Emolga is thankfully cute, and with a good type combination only shared with two legendaries, it's definitely a unique feature.

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
    Years
  • Emolga is my all time favorite. About tied in with Minccino. (I think Minun is still da best though. She's bae :) ) I like her so much that I just bought a plush of her just to hug her at night I don't care how small she'll be compared to my 8 inch Pichu lying in my bed when it ships. Emolga is very powerful in the games taking down Groudon's health TO HALF in one DISCHARGE and then Minun finished Groudon off with my final PP Trump Card. and Emolga is just plain adorable despite not liking the kind of color scheme she has in her fur. I don't know if Attract made me start to like her or not but just look at her. She defines adorable (and sexy for me... Shaddup!) And before the whole craze with me and Minun, I had sort of a crush on Emolga. Not even joking. This wasn't the first time when I had a little crush on Pokemon either. My first Pokecrush was Gardevoir then it started to go a little more on the "weirder but I don't care side" when I started to have a Pokecrush on Pichu and Plusle. Too bad Plusle's my ex-girlfriend now. Minun is my new crush now.

5th Gen Pokemon of the Week #8: Emolga

Me and my casual sense of taste in Pokemon. I just can't help it but think of Black and Yellow by Eminem when I think of her too.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Spoiler:

But is there a reason for that? You don't have to like every Pokémon but if you're gonna take the time to reply to a thread specific to that Pokémon you could at least explain why, even if it's not a really specific reason.

Minun172

Years
  • But is there a reason for that? You don't have to like every Pokémon but if you're gonna take the time to reply to a thread specific to that Pokémon you could at least explain why, even if it's not a really specific reason.

I assume it's because he is just not a fan of the Pikaclones. Not very many people like that kind of type of Pokemon.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I assume it's because he is just not a fan of the Pikaclones. Not very many people like that kind of type of Pokemon.

I can understand that. I mentioned in my own post here that that's how I felt at first, too (not any more, though). But I know someone who isn't a fan of Emolga because it was the Emolga in Elesa's Gym that ruined their Nuzlocke run... so I guess I'm just curious, is all. There can be a wide variety of reasons for why someone likes or dislikes a Pokémon, and almost all of them are fairly interesting!

Minun172

Years
  • I can understand that. I mentioned in my own post here that that's how I felt at first, too (not any more, though). But I know someone who isn't a fan of Emolga because it was the Emolga in Elesa's Gym that ruined their Nuzlocke run... so I guess I'm just curious, is all. There can be a wide variety of reasons for why someone likes or dislikes a Pokémon, and almost all of them are fairly interesting!

Pikaclones are of course, my most favorite types of creatures in gaming history. Even more than Pikaoriginal.

I hated Elesa's Emolga too. Even the animes point out how good she. I wanna team up with her sometime in a game with Sparky the Minun AKA that Minun that introduced me very well in Amie. Pikachu beated Emolga in the animes (Which I predicted. I know these patterns, Pokemon company. Just stop and (at least temporary) remove Pikachu and Ash already.) later on, but everyone behind him nearly fainted. I guess you can find my reason to like Emolga fairly interesting too... Yeah, weird I know. But that's how I feel.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • One of my favourite Pikaclones, second only to Pachirisu. However let it be known the Elesa's emolga is the literal spawn of the devil... That thing just destroyed me so many times... But yeah overall I love the design and it has quite the potential in battle as shown by an NPC destroying me with it.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I find Emolga annoying and just a cheap rip-off from pikachu. I apologize to people who like the Pokemon but I don't just feel it. Elesa's emolga destroyed me though, so mad props for its power, although I don't see myself using it any time soon.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • But is there a reason for that? You don't have to like every Pokémon but if you're gonna take the time to reply to a thread specific to that Pokémon you could at least explain why, even if it's not a really specific reason.

There are many reasons.

It's useless.
    It's not cute.
    It's outclassed.
    It's annoying.
    Iris's Emolga is boring.
    Pikaclones are no longer funny.
    It sucks.
    ...did I mention it's useless?

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • The first thing I notice on Emolga is how insanely cute it is. It's Electric/Flying also makes it fairly unique among Pokémon.

I do not remember Elesa's Emolga giving me too many problems on my Unova Playthroughs (Zebstrika on the other hand) but the Flying Squirrel Pokémon is definitely a Pokémon I would like to use more.

Emolga is my favourite 'Pikaclone'.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    Minipete rocks, he practically carried me through the second half of white with its acrobatics/t.wave/electro ball/roost. My only issue is that he had no motor drive to cover for electric type attacks.

He also single handedly took out Black Empoleon, a vicious biker gang terorising tubeline bridge and became their boss.

When I was playing around with XY battle sport a emolga(motor drive) hasty nature with focus sash with U-turn/volt switch/swagger/thunder wave worked pretty well as a starting scout

Back