• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do I disable this

Status
Not open for further replies.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
  • Why is it that, for every single year since the day I joined PC, there has to be at least one person complaining about the April Fools' joke? Newsflash for those of you who aren't oldies or generally unaware: this happens every april fools. Some forum-wide event happens, and it's a way for PC not to take itself seriously. PC has, time and time again, become more accommodating to those who are unhappy and introduced toggles time and time again. This time though, what's the harm in logging off for 24 hours if you don't like it? You can survive a day without PC, right?
    1. Not everyone here is a long-time member, which means not everyone here knows this is an annual thing. Take me for example. I didn't know this. I joined about 6 months ago. I've been active in numerous online communities before and not once have I seen a curtain call for an unannounced change/event even if it's a positive change. Many people are turned off by sudden change from what they're comfortable with. I get it's April Fool's. You know what would have been funny? Changing everyone's signatures or avatars to something else, but include an obvious link on the page that lets you change it back. Just a prank, bro. Gotcha! Now on with your scheduled programming. But this? Still waiting for the commercial break to be over.

2. Like I mentioned above, people can just pack their bags and leave. That's easy. But do you want that in a community? Do you want to give people the excuse to leave and not come back? You'll be left with old members with no sustainable new membership to keep the atmosphere fresh. I do intend on packing my bags and leaving. I'll come back some other time. But someone else here might not. Just throwing my two cents in here.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    One thing that I am annoyed by is that I was int he midst of posting in a thread about pokken tournamet demo, can't find the thread while navigating the forums, the search box gives me an error no matter what I type and I have no notifications to go back to it, so while this is fun, I really wish it hadn't happened when I was mid conversation ;-)

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • i mean the april fool's joke could also be something that doesn't hurt the functionality of the forum

but i guess trying to be funny is more important

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    This feels like when I first started replaying the Gen 1 Pokemon games on the 3DS, and spent the first two hours going "OH MY GOD I CANT EVEN RUN", and crying over the backsprite views.

But that just makes me appreciate the newer games even more.

I do love PCs features, but I forgot how many fancy things it had until I had to flop my way around this layout. xD; What's funny is that forums used to be so dang popular back when this was all they were. I wonder how people managed. lmfao

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • So basically, many users are posting here with their potential solutions for those who have issues utilizing the site. I've been able to piece together the puzzle. It turns out the alternative options are to either:

a) Don't use the forums for a day
    b) Pretend you're having fun
    c) Look like you dislike jokes
    d) All of the above, plus deal with it

I like a good prank. Keyword being good. I also like pranks that keep things fresh. A "prank" that lasts 24 hours and makes the forums a pain to use is hardly something I'd find humor in. I could imagine everyone enjoying this April 1st now just frantically pressing all the links on the screen until one of them does what they want to be doing. Even if you found this fun, I'm sure in a few hours the magic would be lost.

I'd be more accepting if I could continue normal activities around here without being hindered by lack of functionality. The color scheme and Christmas stuff for Christmas was good, and showed holiday spirit. Something like that for April would've been satisfactory. Or at least let me change this purple + yellow font combination into a more visually pleasing color...

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2023
    Whew, thank god that this terrible dash is only an April Fools thing. I was worried that the same thing happened on here as happened on the DN.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I mean, if you don't like it, we're not forcing you guys to stay on PC. Log off for the day, go to a movie or finish some homework or something. Or go take a walk.

Will do, but it's still important to give feedback on this. I don't think it should be a, "You don't like my joke, well too bad" kind of deal. I think the majority of us aren't pleased.

Dismissing valid feedback and concerns as people who don't get a joke is not healthy. Especially when said population is very diverse interms of userbase. Hopefully next year the joke will be something to look forward to.

Years
  • Maybe next year we'll have the Zero-fun community, where everything all the time 24/7 is srs bsns, because the internet.

It's a joke, everybody relax, we'll be back with the usual PC tomorrow. We did a throwback theme in part because of the re-release of Red and Blue on the 3DS. Just make the most of it, or if it bothers you that much, don't log on until late tomorrow when it's April 2nd. That's about it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • If this change in layout is PC's April Fools prank this year, then it's pretty lame compared to previous pranks, which were more creative than this. :/

Guest123_x1

This throwback theme would be more tolerable if visitor messaging hadn't been taken away from us...

I hope this theme is simply a new style written for the version of vBulletin that we've been using and not an actual reinstall of an old version that's probably no longer supported (and ridden with security holes.)

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • This is the best update, honestly I hope it updates again. I'd like to get rid of all of that pesky color that distracts from the text.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Goodness there is a lot of salt already. Same as every year though!
    also didn't we already do the "go back in time" trick last year?

what an original joke you came up with
    Unless having 'gangster' style lingo is going back in time, we did not. In fact, we never have done this to my knowledge (and having helped compile summaries of AF jokes for a Daily article...)
    Will do, but it's still important to give feedback on this. I don't think it should be a, "You don't like my joke, well too bad" kind of deal. I think the majority of us aren't pleased.

Dismissing valid feedback and concerns as people who don't get a joke is not healthy. Especially when said population is very diverse interms of userbase. Hopefully next year the joke will be something to look forward to.
    Idk about that - sure, people are complaining, but that's happened every year and given the userbase it's still far from a majority that have voiced their displeasure thus far. =p

The prank is ongoing and other sections are doing additional/separate things too, btw, for those claiming that this is uncreative or whatnot because they don't like the old-school forum setup. It's more about going back to how things were in the early days, when gen 1 was current, etc etc. This also got discussed forum staff wide so if it really is uncreative then I guess we are all boring. *shrug*

And when the features come back, you can appreciate all the work that has been done by people for free for PC. (Frankly PC is spoilt by the sheer number of features and presentation options. I mean, customisable profiles? CSS in posts? Forum splashes? A million forum skins? Large avatar options? It goes on. Try finding that on most other forums.)

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • Unless having 'gangster' style lingo is going back in time, we did not. In fact, we never have done this to my knowledge (and having helped compile summaries of AF jokes for a Daily article...)

i may be confusing that with another forum then. my apologies.

also at least we could turn the gangster talk off if we didn't like it. >.>

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • i may be confusing that with another forum then. my apologies.

also at least we could turn the gangster talk off if we didn't like it. >.>
    To be fair, there may be a toggle later today (but I don't want to promise things given a certain admin has to offer it after maybe coding it further (idk?), and given one of the coding admins is on holiday and the other last I saw was travelling from work it won't be this very moment). I don't believe there was a toggle right away for last year's as well, but correct me if I am wrong. AT any rate - this won't necessarily be forced for the whole day, and if in the event it is, well hey, at least it's just one day for the folks who don't like it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back