• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Unova Starters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oshawott and Snivy are my favorite starters from this gen. Mostly Oshawott though.

Nah Tepig is totally the best. :') Why are they your favourites though? Just fun to battle with? Because if so Tepig is way cooler looking. C:

Years
Kinda makes me wish the Unova starters had their special ability from the start. Leaf Storm would make it even better and the other two might not have been hated as much.

I can see your understanding. Unova's starters are often regarded by many as the weakest and/or most disappointing, and maybe if hidden abilities were actually available normally they could have been that bit better. It was weird they never had HAs released in their actual generation, but rather through an OR/AS event.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
I prefer Tepig and its wallbreaking capabilities. This guy has excellent mixed offenses coupled with a large offensive movepool and a decent HP stat. And has Sucker Punch too.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Nah Tepig is totally the best. :') Why are they your favourites though? Just fun to battle with? Because if so Tepig is way cooler looking. C:

I like the way Oshawott and Snivy look, especially Oshawott. Tepig just doesn't do it for me :P

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
Years
I chose oshawott.. bcoz 1st of all, water types are my favovite since they have advantage over both fire and grass through water and ice type moves. 2ndly, i think oshawott is the cutest among all unova starters. it is now a lvl. 89 samurott with a lucky egg which helps it level up all the more faster.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I chose oshawott.. bcoz 1st of all, water types are my favovite since they have advantage over both fire and grass through water and ice type moves. 2ndly, i think oshawott is the cutest among all unova starters. it is now a lvl. 89 samurott with a lucky egg which helps it level up all the more faster.

That's cool, I know a lot of people don't go all the way with their starters but I did too! Eminem (Emboar) reached level 100 and is now retired. Good luck getting it to 100 if it hasn't happened anyway :)

Hey did anyone else get the other starters and try to level them up too? Because I did even though I completed a lot of the game already lol c:

Elekizer

Lover of Pokemon
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 18, 2016
I started using Snivy but along the journey it just did not worked for my team. I ended up putting it in the PC. I was just having a hard time with it just being a grass type cause I was used to my Torterra on 4th gen which was grass/ground type and I played Platinum many times.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I started using Snivy but along the journey it just did not worked for my team. I ended up putting it in the PC. I was just having a hard time with it just being a grass type cause I was used to my Torterra on 4th gen which was grass/ground type and I played Platinum many times.
Interesting. Do you think you would have been better off with Oshawott or Tepig instead or no starter at all?

Elekizer

Lover of Pokemon
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 18, 2016
Interesting. Do you think you would have been better off with Oshawott or Tepig instead or no starter at all?

I haven't tried any of those two but I think Oshawott would have been the better choice for my team.

Years
Hey did anyone else get the other starters and try to level them up too? Because I did even though I completed a lot of the game already lol c:

I did have some Pokemon in my Black that got to the 90's, but no Lv100s achieved in 5th Gen yet.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 17, 2021
I chose Oshawott because it was my favorite out of the three. Weirdly, none of the three starters are that great in my opinion, even though Generation V is definitely my favorite generation.

Imrul Quayes Adnan

The adventure begins from HERE
Years
Ooo, I love all of those three. But as starter I've to choose one and that is snive. I love its shape, attitude, power and move sets. It's the best.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
I've had 2 playthroughts of BW and I chose oshawott and tepig but to me Tepig is better because I think it is cuter

Lapis

✿ Flower Child ✿
Years
I played with all of them at some point of course. The starter I usually did use during my B/W and BW/W2 playthroughs is Oshawott. It is so cute and looks so fluffy and *fangirls* *___*.

Snivy has actually grown on me as of recent because my partner was Snivy playing through Super Mystery Dungeon. I think I'll use her next time I pick up one of the Unova games.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I played with all of them at some point of course. The starter I usually did use during my B/W and BW/W2 playthroughs is Oshawott. It is so cute and looks so fluffy and *fangirls* *___*.

Snivy has actually grown on me as of recent because my partner was Snivy playing through Super Mystery Dungeon. I think I'll use her next time I pick up one of the Unova games.

Snivy is fairly useless early on in B2W2 (just a warning). Does pretty much nothing against the first few gyms (until Driftveil) and you'll find yourself relying on something else. In BW it's not that much better but at least you'll have the Elemental monkey to help you and you'll only struggle against two of the early gyms instead of pretty much everything. In B2W2 I boxed it asap and used Lucario.

Years

Nica brought up a notable point with Snivy, in that it seems to have the biggest disadvantage with the starters early on, especially in B2/W2 since Snivy struggles against two of the first three Gyms plus the fourth Gym can destroy it with an Emolga. Snivy seems like the one Unova starter that often has to rely on other team members to be useful.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
Years
Snivy's gotta be my favourite of the three. Tepig and Oshawott are super cute, and I always loved Samurott, but.. grass snake. <33 The Grass type is one of my favourite types and snakes?? Heck yes. I've only used Oshawott once in BW, the rest of the times it was Snivy, and in B2W2 I only used Snivy. x'D Was the ace of my team too, even despite all the disadvantages for the poor thing in-game!

Back