• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ash-Greninja Elephant In The Room

Z25

Team Player
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    It was bound to happen. Like the Zygarde forms, Ash Greninja invaded other media for pokemon. Greninja was voted the number 1 pokemon in Japan as well. He also got major popularity because of the anime. With all those factors considered, he was undoubtedly going to appear. Surprised i took so long though.

I'm happy with it. I like the concept and it's cool to see the anime and games be bridged a bit.

Years
  • It was expected, because like Zoroark said Greninja has been prominent in Pokemon media and recently topped a fan-voted poll in Japan. It is odd that Ash, a character from the anime who never appears in the games, is now somehow canon.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I wonder what the in game explanation will be for this.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    These particular games already set a precedent for this to happen. After all, the Ultra Beasts are from a different universe as well. It might be mixing canons a little but not by much.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I wonder what the in game explanation will be for this.

Yeah I'm interested to hear this as well, especially since it's called Ash-Greninja. Interested to see what reason they give for it!

I think it was bound to happen to, especially given Greninja's popularity. But yeah I'm just most surprised about its name I guess. Ash-Greninja makes the most sense but Ash hasn't been mentioned in-game before, I believe.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Sure, we knew it was bound to happen given Greninja's surge in popularity, but... doesn't mean that it isn't a completely ridiculous concept. Absolutely cannot stand the fact this will actually be in the games.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I'm not sure what to make of this to be quite honest.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • As for me, it was totally unexpected that Ash-Greninja will be in the main games given that it ties in to Ash of the Pok?mon anime, even though I think it has debuted in games before, even though not in main series yet (it's already on Pok?mon Picross to begin with). But yeah, just like some people say, I think they need explanation why it's called Ash-Greninja in the main games if in case some didn't follow much of the anime and all.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Very sad that the only non-gen 1 Pok?mon to get anything special is this anime adaptation of Greninja. I probably won't even pick up the demo because I have absolutely no interest in Ash-Greninja.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • If you've been following Pok?mon news for years, then you would that whatever new form of a Pok?mon that gets shown in the anime will eventually appear in the games, and Ash-Greninja was no exception. What I am curious is if this will justify Greninja to return in the next installment of Super Smash Bros., because Greninja's more likely to get axed in favor of a new gen Pok?mon since they can't exceed more than six Pok?mon reps in the roster just like your party in the main games.

Ninjorf

Friendo
    Years
  • I'm interested in seeing the Battle Bond ability on other Pokemon. I'm hoping they grab up the cast from Pokken tournament for that so I can get my Battle Bond Weavile.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • This makes me wonder if Ash from the anime would somehow arrive in the Sun and Moon Demo and explained about it and passed the baton, perhaps? If the Demo is handled this way (or something similar like teaching how to make other Greninja to do so), I think Ash-Greninja naming would still make sense in some way.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    The only thing bothering me with Ash-Greninja is the name and the design a bit. Instead of making it be a bit more like an in game thing. If it was a bit more different and looked more like the actual trainer than Ash and if it had another name than just Ash-Greninja I would be fine.

Mikazuki

"Someday, I will..."
    Years
  • I like Ash-Greninja. I do agree the name is a bit odd being that it's not Ash in the demo with said Pokemon, but perhaps there is a reason behind it. I hope it's not JUST nostalgic and there are other Pokemon with the ability to "battle bond" with our protagonist. I am a fan of nostalgia as well though. Anyway, I'm happy and I like that it's a bonus available for transfer from the demo. I was wondering what our special prize would be. I just hope the demos free again as well.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I really don't understand why some people are upset, not to mention a handful of people don't even explain why, They just say they hate it.

I for one love Ash-Greninja in the games. And this could indicate that Chesnaught and Delphox could get something similar later on. They did the same exact thing with Blaziken. People were upset because Blaziken got a mega and the others didn't, however, they already had plans for the other 2 starters. Just like they may have plans for the other two Kalos starters.

I don't think it makes Ash canon in the games. Hell, they basically made Alain canon in ORAS, so why can't they make Ash canon? Red and Ash are not the same people. They can easily coincide with each other. They don't look like each other at all. I just don't see a problem with it.

And even though they will need an explanation, it shouldn't hurt.

They said it all comes together. I think this is what the partially meant. This isn't the first time they have crossed anime stuff over into the games.

Back