• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Nintendo Switch

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
  • How dope does that look. Would be a must buy for me as soon as I see a Pokémon game for it.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • The Nintendo Switch. Well, it doesn't sound like a console, but it's logo's cleverly used and it beats the hell out of the Wii U and 3DS in identifying itself as its own console.

And it seems all those trademark reports that were shown off were pretty accurate. To be honest, I'm glad. I love the idea of a portable home console and am really interested to see what it's capable of on a technical level (and what the battery charge'll be). And it seems like we're jumping back to game carts for the first time since the N64, which is...not bad, really. Seems pretty convenient, actually.

And as for the controller, I'm surprisingly more okay with it than I was expecting. Seems it can be used 3 different ways and there's a more traditional controller as a separate option which reminds me of the Xbone controller (which I'm rather fond of). Only real reservation I have, assuming I saw that right, was the tiny-ass D-Pad the main controller was sporting. I hope to God that wasn't the D-pad, because if so...

Oh, and backwards compatibility seems to be no problem...? I'd imagine the Wii U'll be no problem, but I'm really interested to see if they'll dig deeper. I'd love to play GC and DS/GBA VC games on the go.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Nintendo Switch, eh? It seems to be a quite unusual name for a console, but seeing the concept, I think it works well! And I've been wanting to get a console after quite a while already, not to mention that it's also portable is a nice bonus, so... that does it, I can't wait for it any longer, I might get it on pre-order when it's ready!

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm pretty surprised that it's not a steaming pile of turd. This actually looks pretty good.

Though it seems tiny, no discs? Or perhaps GC styled discs? Either way, I'm just glad it has a proper joypad as opposed to the prior two gimmick stations we had.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I'm pretty surprised that it's not a steaming pile of turd. This actually looks pretty good.

Though it seems tiny, no discs? Or perhaps GC styled discs? Either way, I'm just glad it has a proper joypad as opposed to the prior two gimmick stations we had.
    Video showed him putting in a 3DS-esque cartridge. Possibly the end of Nintendo's Handheld consoles?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    Video showed him putting in a 3DS-esque cartridge. Possibly the end of Nintendo's Handheld consoles?

Oh i thought that was an SD card with his home data or whatever on it haha. Yeah, could be!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Let's see, other than BotW, we have our usual new 3D Mario game and Mario Kart entry (it's not a port looking at it closely), a Splatoon sequel (the new animations and angle), and ports of Skyrim (a first time in Nintendo's library history) and NBA (inb4EApullsoutsupportagain).

Meanwhile, and my friends at Disquis and I will be enjoying the salt from the people who were unhappy about the reveal and how it's not a console and a "Nintendo PlayStation" system that they wanted.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    This was fun to cover. That trailer was really hype worthy! the system looks great and innovative, and has a pretty solid lineup. That Mario Kart looks amazing, and the Splatoon Graphics updates are brilliant as well.

Really can't wait! Glad the hype delivered as I wasn't to sure. They presented it perfectly imo.
    Let's see, other than BotW, we have our usual new 3D Mario game and Mario Kart entry (it's not a port looking at it closely), a Splatoon sequel (the new animations and angle), and ports of Skyrim (a first time in Nintendo's library history) and NBA (inb4EApullsoutsupportagain).

Meanwhile, and my friends at Disquis and I will be enjoying the salt from the people who were unhappy about the reveal and how it's not a console and a "Nintendo PlayStation" system that they wanted.

I'm not convinced that's Spla2oon.

Sure the graphics are updated, but it's possible that it can display Wii U games better. It's to early for a sequel, a port maybe, but I still no reason for it. We'll see though. It looks great either way.

And that was Skyrim? I thought it looked like it, but wasn't positive.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Skyrim on the go! That 'standard' controller looks beautiful. It was a slick trailer that showed enough of the system to keep me interested. I want to know more about the technical aspects of portable versus docked performance, but it looked great.

And that looked like a new Mario too.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Yeah, I'll buy one or two of these. Please let the cartridge cases be red.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm seriously stoked for this console, it looks so innovative! From that trailer, it seems like we could be getting either a new DLC pack for MK8, a port of the game with updates, or a completely new Mario Kart game built on a similar engine as MK8. Either way I'm sold as I'm a sucker for anything relating to Mario Kart. I'm also intrigued to see what TPC has planned for the Switch. I remember hearing that Ishihara confirmed that Pokémon games will be made for the Nintendo NX.

Rin Sohma

Walking on the beach with her Vaporeon
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Mar 31, 2017
    I really hope it's not the end of Nintendo handhelds. I've always preferred handheld gaming and especially for franchises like Pokemon, I'd want to have a handheld to play rather than a whole console (even if it can go handheld, it's not the same). I've had Nintendo handhelds since GBC and hope they keep the option.

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I wanna say I have never been this excited for a new Nintendo console.

I've never been this excited for literally any other system, ever, and I've been gaming since Atari/NES. Instantly sold on this system!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I'm not too thrilled about it to be honest. This seems like it is the end for the handheld systems which will have a major impact on the Main Series Pokemon. Not only will the systems be around double the price, or probably, the games will also go up in price.

It just seems like a bit more powerful rehash of the Wii U, something that should have come out many years ago.

Nintendo is usually head of the game, but now they are behind. Xbox and Sony are already working on VR systems and are already passed the Switch.

Honestly, they should have just stopped with consoles and went completely to handheld systems that is as powerful as the PSV. They should have put research and time into VR.

Maybe a system similar to the PSVR will come out in the future for this system.

I am more worried about the impact it will have on the main series pokemon games, which is largely the only nintendo games I play.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    That switch sound in the trailer was such an earworm, that alone will sell this thing, its so catchy. Gimme this at 250 Euros, no more, and I am buying it day one. I mostly buy the handhelds and the I haven't bought a Wii U despite owning every console to the Wii, so having one Nintendo hardware for all their games, from Pokemon to Mario to Zelda, was already enticing. But yeah, 250 do your magic.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I've updated the article with some further details from the Nintendo site. There's some interesting stuff, so check it out!

The 3rd party support list and the chips powering it, are going to make the Switch a very powerful system in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I really hope it's not the end of Nintendo handhelds. I've always preferred handheld gaming and especially for franchises like Pokemon, I'd want to have a handheld to play rather than a whole console (even if it can go handheld, it's not the same). I've had Nintendo handhelds since GBC and hope they keep the option.

This is a combo of the two though, so it serves fine as a console and handheld, it's just a new way of doing it. I don't imagine that all portable games will be forced to live up to the standards of console games. Folding the markets (if that's really the case) just makes it easier to sell more games. Person A has a one or the other but can't justify buying the system they don't have for a few games, this gets rid of that problem.

That said, an immersive 3D Pokemon game could potentially be one of the biggest sellers Nintendo's ever seen. (and something fans have wanted for a long time as well)

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Nah, I just want a Battle Revolution port lel

Anyway, BotW looks awesome as ever, and if Nintendo legit wants to get an esports scene I would be down for that (given I'm going to a huge stadium like the one pictured to watch people play League of Legends this weekend). Super stoked for this, I just hope it has more battery life than the 3DS.

EDIT: My problem with it as a handheld is the same reason I never upgraded to the 3DS XL: It doesn't fit in my pocket.

Back