• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Alola Starters - who will you choose?

Which starter will you choose?

• Rowlet

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Popplio

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Litten

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters
Years
  • Okay, yeah, seeing the details for the starter final forms has pretty much firmly solidified my decision for owl. I mean, that was almost a given anyway, but I'm back to not even considering Litten that much. Come here Rowlet. :D

Years
  • I love all three designs and we're totally spoiled for choice, but Rowlet has been the guy for me since day one. I wanted Rowlet before we saw the evos and having seen them, there's just no competition. Dartrix is my favourite middle evo starter from any gen and Decidueye is only behind Typhlosion (my favourite of all 800+(?) pokémon we now have) in my terms of my favourite final evo for a starter.

It's the first generation for me were all three lines look great throughout all three stages. I look forward to using Litten & Popplio plus their evolutions after finishing the game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    I'd like to see a new poll to see if people changed their minds after confirming the leaked concept art.

honestly, the 3d models do help Incineroar's design! I'm pleased will all options, but clearly Primarina is the definitive best pokemon of all time -- so there is no competition. Though, Decidueye is definitely in my top 5 final starter evolutions.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2019
    The final form's grass/ghost typing sealed the deal for me! I'm definitely getting Rowlet as my starter :D

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    When I first saw the Alola Starters, I decided to pick Litten, since it looked the best from the three in my opinion. Now that I've seen all three final evos, I can say with absolute certainty that I made the right choice. Decidueye and Primarina look amazing, but Incineroar is the one for me.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I've changed my mind and decided to get Popplio instead. It has got to be my favorite Water-type Alola native. Like with all starters that I've had, I'm gonna soft-reset the game so I can get it as a female and then name it Selina, Seline... something like that.

Years
  • incinerator whatever he's called isn't as bad in-game as a 3D model. my pick is still popplio but boy oh boy does rowlet's final form look sick AND have a sick name that i cant remember

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Contrary to a lot of others here, I'm still not that fond of the starter designs. I initially said I was going with Popplio, and I think I'll still do that because I've always started with the water starter on my main game and I'm not one to break tradition, but I really don't care for mermaids. Hopefully it'll grow on it over time. I think it doesn't help that the nickname I always use for my starters is male, and Primarina definitely leans towards the feminine side of things. (Personally, I tend to prefer gender-neutral Pokemon designs, especially for starters, but at least some other people here are happy about it.) Still excited about getting to send over one of my many perfect Squirtle from one of my earlier breeding projects, as I like Blastoise much better, but I guess that will have to wait until post-game (and Bank updates) most likely.

The one I'm surprised I like so much is Rowlett's final form. I'm a big fan of the Grass/Ghost owl, enough to make me consider using it as my starter instead. That being said, as a water-first player, I think I'll still start with Popplio (whose first form I like) and trade in the other two starters at the start from my spare cartridge.

Litten's final form is ok. I'm glad it isn't Fire/Fighting, but I still would prefer a quadruped.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 10, 2023
    I changed my mind I was originally going to start with Litten as I love cats and fire types.But seeing Litten's final evolution which I think is fine I'm just disappointed that we got yet again another Bipedal fire starter(The typing is cool though). I think I'm now leaning heavily towards Popplio because Primarina looks pretty interesting and the ingame model is just gorgeous.
    If not Popplio for certain it will be Rowlet because Decidueye looks pretty badass and am liking the typing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    I still go for Litten, Terrocat looks pretty good and Incineroar looks good and it's also a Fire and Dark so it doesn't make a Fire and Fighting repeat. I think Dark works better than Fighting though. So we have a kitten that evolves into a cat and now a big cat now like cheetahs, tigers, jaguars, leopards, etc.

Last edited:

Knyte

Protector of Pokemon Realms
    Years
  • I'm obviously going for Rowlet! I seriously thought they were going for Grass/Steel type if not Grass/Flying! I was astounded to find that it was Grass/Ghost! Which is even better than I expected at all. Never been a fan of the Ghost typing even if I do like most ghost-type pokemon designs (which have the best designs IMO, mostly hits and nearly no misses)!

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    I've been on Team Popplio since day one, since the thing was so darn cute, but now with Rowlett getting a ghost-type evo, I'm having a hard time choosing between the two of them.

Years
    • Seen today
    When I first saw the leaks, I didn't really like Decidueye or Incineroar at all, but I liked Primarina.

After the initial reveal, I like them much more. I still don't exactly like Incineroar, but I don't dislike it nearly as much, and after seeing it in game, I actually like Decidueye a lot more. Plus, I love Ghost-types.

However, I generally get the Water starter, and was planning on getting Popplio from the beginning, and that hasn't changed. I don't exactly love it - this is the first time I'v e never fell in love with the design of at least one starter - but it's my favorite of the three, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    When I found out that the final-evo leaks were real, I knew I wasn't selecting Popplio. I'm not a fan of Primarina.

So, that left Rowlet or Litten. I always planned on using Alolan Marowak, and I really don't like having more than one Pokemon of the same type on my team, so that took Litten off the table. Plus, I wasn't really a fan of Incineroar's leaked art. So, I had my mind made up, I was team Rowlet.

However, then the starters final-evos were officially released. I immediately loved Incineroar's style and attitude after seeing it in-game. Also, it was revealed that Decidueye's secondary type was Ghost. Meaning that regardless of who I choose between them, I'll have repeating types if I use Alolan Marowak.

Now, I don't know who to pick. I thought about going with Popplio, even though it's final evolution is my least favorite. If I don't do that, then it's a toss up between Rowlet and Litten, which would mean I actually wouldn't use Alolan Marowak. I'm lost.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I did say this is the second time all 3 starters appealed to me (The first being Johto's trio!) design wise.

I am Team Popplio, but I really like how smirk Incineroar is, and Decidueye looks so awesome too, especially when it pull it's hoodies hehe.

Since it's easy to trade for Pokemon now I think I would be able to train all 3 of them anyway sooner or later!

Years
  • When I first saw the trailer I knew it had to be Litten as I'm a fan of cats! But after seeing the final evolution of the starter I'm leaning towards Rowlett. I really like the design of Decidueye!

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I'm really torn at the moment between Litten and Rowlet. I've always loved Rowlet but Litten was my favourite with its design and personality. I'm not a massive fan of any of the third evos, but I like Decidueye and Incineroar... I just don't love any of them. Though I think atm I'll go with Incineroar as I'd like to use a different Grass-type (Alola Exeggutor lol)

Back