• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Video Game Company would you like to work with

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
ejhjSKF.jpg

I'm fully aware that this is NOT EVERY VIDEO GAME COMPANY there is. ;)
Companies above: Bethesda, Capcom, Electronic Arts (EA), Blizzard, Activision, Atlus, Square Enix, Microsoft Studious, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Valve.. among others

Gaming. Gaming always changes. When the atomic fire consumed the earth, those who survived did so in by creating gaming development and publishing studious and companies. When they opened, their talented employees set out across the boundaries of the world to build new societies, establish new franchises, form new gaming studious. As decades passed, what had been just a bunch of passionate people and nerds who just wanted to make an entertaining form of media as an alternative to movies and theater, have become large industries that ultimately affect the one thing people like doing the most.

Okay, enough of my silly attempt in making a hypey intro for everyone but this is a topic that I've always wanted to talk about to everyone. Say you just have graduated from college or are planning to put your love of gaming into the next level, or maybe you are looking for an internship to a company related to video games or just looking to make a sort of business deal with a certain company to benefit your wants and needs. You come across these video game companies as some opportunity to work with.

If given the chance, which video game company would you like to end up working for or having some sort of good business deals with. It can be any of the companies in my lovely splash image or it can be any video game company you had in mind. Which company would you like to swear your allegiance to and ultimately help them sky rocket into the greatness that they always strive for.

or maybe you wouldn't want to work with any of these big gaming companies and just want to start your own. You don't want to owe any company's allegiance and work on your own or with a team of your choosing behind you. You could go Independent or indie, start from scratch and put your talents, skills, time, and resources to the true test.

So which video game company would you like to work with and why? One day, you may find yourself being employed at this company should you really want to follow the industry or the passion for it. Or you may not be necessarily employed with but have some sort of business dealings or other beneficial things. Or maybe you just want to work as a freelancer but still have a preference to certain companies. Or as mentioned previously, you may want to go indie and owe no allegiances.

DISCUSS!

And as a "starter kit" or "starter pack" i shall give a certain company a sort of spotlight starting with:

400px-Bethesda_Softworks_Logo.svg.png

Bethesda Softworks LLC -> Bethesda

Unknown to most users, Bethesda is actually a company that has existed for quite some time, with their most prominent series being the Elder Scrolls series. This company actually has a very interesting history of acquisitions, expansions, and even lawsuits in its company history.

Speaking of Acquisitions, I think most people would know that Bethesda acquired the rights to many IPs. Fallout is one franchise that they acquired from Interplay Studious. Bethesda's parenting company ZeniMax Media acquired IdSoftware, a company i think everyone should know for mother f**king DOOM.

-> Company known for the following:
Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout Shelter, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
(These games are developed by their own inhouse team, Bethesda Game Studios)

This company also has the following development studios under them:
Idsoftware
-> Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Doom 2: Hell on Earth, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Doom 3, Doom 3: BFG Edition, Rage, DOOM 2016

MachineGames
-> Wolftenstein The New Order, Wolftenstein the Old Blood

Arkane Studios:
-> Dishonored, Dishonored 2, Prey (2017)

Since these companies are under Bethesda, the games developed by said developers are also under Bethesda's rights.

Heck since 2012, Bethesda has been mostly publishing games from studios acquired courtesy of its Parenting Company ZeniMax Media.

Last edited:
Years
I want to work with FromSoft just so I can get goddamn Armored Core 6 already. I'm tired of them playing with my emotions.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Company Spotlight no, 2:

Electronic Arts:
ea_logo.png

EA known for the following series or franchises:
Battlefield, Star Wars, FIFA, Dragon Age, Madden NFL, NBA Live, The Sims, Need For Speed, among others.
-> Certain games are not necessarily developed by EA themselves but by their subsidiaries or developers under them, such as Battlefield by DICE, Plants vs Zombies by POPCAP Games, Crysis by Crytek, among others.

To make it clear, games made by developers are still under the their publishers' influence.

To make things clearer for everyone, if you choose to work with a developer under a certain publishing company (Dice -> EA, Idsoftware -> Bethesda, Infinity Ward -> Activision etc), inadvertedly, you are also choosing to work with said video game publisher since publishers still have a final say regarding video games in general (most of the time anyway). Say if you want to work for DICE (developers of Battlefield), inadvertedly, you are working for EA. Kinda like that.

The case becomes somehow different if you choose a company that works as both its developer and publisher. Say if you choose to work for Blizzard Entertainment (Which will be in a spotlight in the next post).

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
Valve. Why? So I can actually convince them to make another game. Plus, from that leaked handbook it sounds like my jam of a place to work.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
I'd work indie, start making FOSS demos and things in jams and then perhaps start selling the games later.

User19sq

My creative prowess leans towards a Nintendo/Sakurai/Miyamoto feel. Plus, my works could end up in Smash too! (If I had a dedicated dev-team here, we coulda worked as an indie dev for something on Switch!)

Valve is just very user-friendly and meta, which makes them very relatable. But still...

Yukari

I'd only really be willing to be an indie developer and also self publish everything.

Because screw people dictating what you can or cannot do.

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
Years
  • Age 24
  • UK
  • Seen Jun 6, 2023
Bethesda or Gamefreak.

Bethesda because I love all their games and to make an Elder Scrolls game should be on everyone's bucket list :P

Gamefreak because Pokémon. If I could draw also I'd try and make everyones dreams come true. Key word there is 'try'. XD

Years
I would totally work for Riot's game balancing team. Riot's working environment is supposedly is so friendly that every mistake is forgiven and nobody cares if you actually do your job, plus they just tweak some numbers and call it problem solved anyway. Plus I would get all Riot privileges like all champions and skins unlocked (I still don't have all champions unlocked after 4 years of playing on my current account) and games would be less toxic if I had a Riot tag in my name.

Also maybe point out all the problems the game actually has atm because they seem to be completely clueless.

And yeah I do realize it's all for the wrong reasons.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
What was the company that made that awesome completely underrated video game Vanquish? Platinum Games right? The core gameplay of that game was super epic, controls were tight...it's a shame that the game underperformed because they had set it up for a sequel and I could only imagine what that game would have been like if they were able to have time to correct their mistakes from the first game. If I worked for them voice acting and script writing would be my goals because let's face it, the dialogue and voice acting in that game was absolutely cringe worthy haha.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I'm loving the Bethesda FLEX train right now. : )
wUWVmHU.png

then again, maybe some of the Bethesda love isn't necessarily directly towards them, but to the developer studious among them. Idsoftware for Doom, Arkane Studious for Dishonored, or maybe yeah if its direct love for Bethesda, it must be because of the Elder Scrolls series.

Oh and I want to make a disclaimer that IN NO WAY AM I ASSOCIATED WITH ANY OF THESE VG COMPANIES in any shape or form. I do not share any opinions with any of these companies and this topic is in no way used as a form of bad advertising or any other hoopla. Just getting that one out of the way. Moving on.

What was the company that made that awesome completely underrated video game Vanquish? Platinum Games right? .

Yep. Platinum Games. They had a handful of IPs they had going for. Other than Bayonetta which they should be known for, they have Madworld and Infinite Space as well. And yes, much like Vanquish, those games undersold too. Heck, i even read somewhere that even Bayonetta didn't sell as much as to their standards.

However, ever since their stint in making their own IPs after Bayonetta and the 2010's they have been making other games based on other licenses for better or for worse. Metal Gear Rising was a great game but their other licensed games are a different story, especially those Activision partnered ones.

Oh boy Activision. However that company will be in the next spotight.

COMPANY SPOTLIGHT NO3 and as Promised!:
And as an improvement for myself, I should write more into these companies when i make their "spotlights". I'll update the spotlights on Bethesda and EA soon. VERY SOON.

Blizzard_Entertainment_Logo.svg

Blizzard Entertainment

Blizzard Entertainment. I'm pretty sure that MANY know what this company is all about. Other than a developer, this company (to my knowledge at least) also doubles as its own publisher. I'm not going to go over the whole Activision-Blizzard merger to confuse viewers and users. Oh and YES ACTIVISION is going to be the next company spotlight >:3

This company is known for the following game franchises:
- Warcraft
- Starcraft
- Diablo
- Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
- Heroes of the Storm
- Overwatch

Its safe to say that this is one of the more popular video game companies out there with an overall positive reception at the moment, for its ability to somehow delivery consistently good video games. This company has been around for quite a long time with such a rich and colorful history behind.

Years
Polyphony Digital. While they might not be so well known, they certainly work with the coolest tech on the market and by tech I mean car engines. A closed course and a roaring V-12 at my fingertips? Yes please.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Since Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare has just been released today... i might as well

COMPANY SPOTLIGHT NO. 4!

It came down the wire...
Activision
IXmVu1L.png

Type: Publisher

Known for:
- The first independent developer and distributor of games for video game consoles
- Right now, the Publisher of the Call of Duty series of video games.
- Activision is also a publisher for many movie licensed video games

This is going to be the first in the company spotlights were we are dealing with a company that's purely a video game publisher.

Developers under Activision:
- Infinity Ward
- Sledgehammer Games
- Treyarch
- Raven Software
- Beenox
- Radical Entertainment
among other developers and subsidiaries.

Boy oh boy, where do i start with Activision... people have a lot to say about Activision and how they treat a certain video game series but lets reserve our opinions on that.

Years
Oh man, there's so much to choose from... I guess either Activision or Nintendo would be fine by me.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
Hmmm... As a second choice I'd probably try for Bungie if Valve didn't work out. I mean they're in the same city!

I've had plenty of ideas for improving their current IP of Destiny anyways from more cinematic campaign mission with more classic bungie style big battles (ala normal soldiers from the city vs enemy) to removing stupid ideas like their "unique class silhouette" doctrine that does nothing but hamper armor creativity.

Oh, and in-game lore.

Midi

Charming Ghost~
Years
If they weren't being basically sat on by Compile Heart/Idea Factory and having no interesting enough projects (like a certain company Microsoft isn't doing anything with,) I would definitely work for Sting.
Mainly so I can get them to make another Dept Heaven game and work with them on it.

Another one to go with would be Bungie. I've enjoyed their works ever since Marathon, and I really enjoy Destiny to the point of having tons of ideas for the game's lore.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I won't be giving my input on which video game company would I want to be working for, but I will give an input on something.

If ever i wanted to make some sort of business deal with a certain video game company, say be some sort of freelancer or have some form of partnership or sponsorship, I'd gladly be aligned with none other than the very first video game company that made me gave a damn -> Idsoftware.

Yep. Idsoftware. A lot of my currently running video game ideas seem to flow nicely with Idsoftware. Not to mention, Idsoftware is one of the few video game developers who actually do care about its games' fanbase since after all, Doom, Quake, and other iconic idsoftware games continue to be relevant because of the fans. Heck, when the original Doom was made and released, John Carmack actually said it himself that he wanted the fans to further customize the game in anyway they want. In relevance to 2016, heck Doom 2016 was basically idsoftware's gift to the fans who have waited for an action packed first person shooter that needed to make a comeback.

Sure Idsoftware isn't the same studio since many of the legendary people behind it such as John Carmack and John Romero have already left for other pastures, the current people behind Idsoftware knows what it feels like to actually care about its fans to make sure that they make great games that ultimately appeal to the very players who want to play their games. Idsoftware actually acknowledges playerbase criticism quite seriously and they do their best to make sure that they deliver. I'd actually tell some pre-release drama regarding Doom 2016 but that would be reserved for another time.

Because of that, I'd like to have some sort of business deal with Idsoftware to help promote their games through youtube or something should ever that becomes a hobby that i heavily invest with. I'd happily disclose that I'm being sponsored by Idsoftware and Bethesda that I'm being paid to basically promote whatever new game they are trying out, having early access, being allowed to make video or youtube content about their games, yadda yadda.

Back