• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Xbox exclusive 'Scalebound' cancelled

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • 1b91d1f3-s.jpg
    In a statement by Microsoft Studios today:

"After careful deliberation, Microsoft Studios has come to the decision to end production for "Scalebound." We're working hard to deliver an amazing lineup of games to our fans this year, including "Halo Wars 2," "Crackdown 3," "State of Decay 2," "Sea of Thieves" and other great experiences. For more information on our 2017 plans, please visit: https://news.xbox.com/2017/01/05/xbox-closes-milestone-year-in-2016/."

I'm really bummed to say the least on the news, but I'll hold off on my breakdown of my thoughts until some other people want to chime in. Scalebound was to be the newest IP by Platinum Games, the brains behind Bayonetta - a very much hyped RPG. What do you guys think of the news?​

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I'll be shocked if Crackdown 3 comes out this year. Or at all, period. Have heard very little about that game since it was announced. And the date keeps getting pushed further and further back.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I was crying on Discord when the news dropped : (

I was really looking forward to this game! The majority of X-clusives for the console seem to either be poor preforming, or canceled. It just seems like they dont want to do anything more than mediocre fps games! Most of those that havent been shuttered, either released or turned multiplatform at some point...

XBOX WHAT ARE YOU DOING BRING BACK SCALEBOUND PLEASE JUST BECAUSE COD F---S WONT PLAY IT DOESNT MEAN IT NEEDS TO BE KILLED!!!!!!! </3

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • We're off to a great start with 2017 in gaming aren't we?

I feel really bad for one of my Disquis friends, who bought an Xbox One a few years ago just for this game since he's a huge fan of Platinum Games' works.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    My reasons for wanting an xbox1 drop again. State of Decay 2 better be worth the console haha.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • The only reason to own Xbone just disappeared. I'm conflicted. On one hand, it's really disappointing we will never see this gem released (Sony, your call), on the other, no need to be jealous now.
    Well, time to do a Vita game, Kamiya.

Anyway... well... this is what happens when someone tries to develop Japanese game for Xbone... MS is really starting to dig their own grave with their close-mindedness...

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • The only reason to own Xbone just disappeared. I'm conflicted. On one hand, it's really disappointing we will never see this gem released (Sony, your call), on the other, no need to be jealous now.
    Well, time to do a Vita game, Kamiya.

Anyway... well... this is what happens when someone tries to develop Japanese game for Xbone... MS is really starting to dig their own grave with their close-mindedness...

Pushing your "pro-Sony" bias aside, something that should be taken into account is whether or not Scalebound was going to be a good game. Considering how very little to no gameplay content we had gotten for the game as of late, it's quite possible that Microsoft Studios felt that the game was going to be of poor quality which was why it was shelved. Whether or not a bad game is better than no game at all, that's an argument that can have valid points on either side.

As someone so nicely put it, via Reddit:
    Being honest here: This game had to have been a complete and utter mess for MS to pull the plug on it after all this time and $$ had been spent on the development.
    If you think it's more financially prudent to just halt production and have the money already invested be a sunk cost with no return than spend more money to fix it, that's usually a really bad sign.
    Microsoft still needs to realize that it needs new IPs, but if this was the reasoning behind it than I'll tolerate the decision to shut the game down.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • Yep, I was part of that 'camp' that had considered getting an Xbox One if this game saw the light of day. Good thing I've saved myself some money, then, but I am bummed that this got canned. Plus this seemed to be quite a ways into development too? Damn.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Something also to consider before people blame Microsoft (this bit of news came to light today.)

Taken from an Xbox One Reddit comment:

"This is what happens when you take a 200 man team and develop 9 games at the same time as a project like Scalebound. Between the announcement of Scalebound and the cancellation they started and/or finished these games:
    • Bayonetta 2
    • The Legend of Korra
    • Transformers: Devastation
    • Star Fox Zero
    • Star Fox Guard
    • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan
    • Neir Automata
    • Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link
    • Lost Order

http://imgur.com/yIgMXkF

On top of this they apparently forced senior developers off of Scalebound in late 2016, after the game had already been delayed. Apparently when this happened it was the nail in the coffin for the game. They apparently missed major deadlines that Microsoft had set in order to get the game back on track to the point where Microsoft stopped funding the project and finally cancelled it. From the same sources the game was also still having major performance issues.

People are pushing the idea that Microsoft took this lightly, Microsoft had the most to lose with their decision. They bought the IP, funded the project, paid to advertise, gave it two E3 demonstrations, delayed it and gave them more time to work on it and now that it's cancelled they spent all that money and have nothing as a result."
    So in essence, Microsoft shut down the game because Platinum Games wasn't putting all of it's effort into Scalebound as it missed numerous deadlines and were focusing on other games.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Bad show to both parties. Not is it only a big stain on PGs records, it ruins the diversity of Xbox's major games.

Back