• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does the Nintendo Switch compete with the PS4/XONE?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • Now that Switch mania has settled and many of us have had a chance to either try it out for ourselves or watched gameplay of the system, how do we feel that the Switch holds up against the other console juggernauts? When the Wii U was launched, many individuals - including myself - felt that it couldn't stand up to why Sony and Microsoft were producing. However, with a better product placement strategy and PR this time around, the Switch may be able to stand up to the likes of the PS4 and One, or whoever iterations of these consoles that will be showcased at this year's E3.

So what's the consensus: can Nintendo compete against Sony and Microsoft with the Nintendo Switch or no?

Years
  • I mean I don't have one but I've played on the Switch and with Breath of the Wild, I actually think it stands a chance of competing, that game is a serious console seller.

Years
  • Yes they can. I feel like this system will stand up. I felt the same about the Wii U as well. Fact is that they make amazing games every generation and they can only be played on a Nintendo system. The Switch sells itself in my eyes, once you start getting used to being able to play on the TV and then switch to playing anywhere else in the house or outside it's hard to imagine something so simple hasn't been done before. It's a great feeling. And the games looks great, more powerful than a Wii U and if it gets exclusives from third parties plus Nintendo's games it'll be competition for sure. Within this year it'll be good competition with the others. If Zelda is anything to go by then it's got a long and successful life ahead of it.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I would say no.
    It's Ninty doing Ninty things. They are not competing, instead, jumping into uncharted waters.

More than PS4/Xbone, I would say they are competing with Vita and 3DS (yea, they are competing with their own product) on handheld market.
    I mean, let's be frank, Switch is a very powerful handheld but very weak console.

Years
  • I would say no.
    It's Ninty doing Ninty things. They are not competing, instead, jumping into uncharted waters.

More than PS4/Xbone, I would say they are competing with Vita and 3DS (yea, they are competing with their own product) on handheld market.
    I mean, let's be frank, Switch is a very powerful handheld but very weak console.
    It's marketed as a home console that can be taken anywhere, meaning that it is in direct competition with the others as well. That's just how it is. I think that it is a strong system and people will want to get it over the other two in time. Maybe not to the point that it's the best selling of it's generation but enough that it is a runner unlike how Wii U turned out.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • It's marketed as a home console that can be taken anywhere, meaning that it is in direct competition with the others as well. That's just how it is. I think that it is a strong system and people will want to get it over the other two in time. Maybe not to the point that it's the best selling of it's generation but enough that it is a runner unlike how Wii U turned out.

How many people are buying the system to play as a console? Ill probably never play the Switch as a console if I ever get one. But thats just me.

Maybe I just think too narrowly. I always think of Nintendo as totally separate from the rest of the gaming companies, but I'm probably wrong. We will have to compare sales come November and December to really tell who is "winning" so to speak.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I am actually surprised by the answers, I thought most would say no.

I honestly don't care. Competition is kinda stupid for me...... never understood why people would fight for stuff like this tbh. (Not saying it's the case with this thread, just on the internet in general)

Years
  • I don't think Nintendo will ever catch to them on a technological standpoint, but that has never been Nintendo's philosophy. Nintendo innovates, while the others follow along. I think the Switch will be a superior system in terms of sales, it has already been doing better than the Wii U and it looks like it has a bright future. I myself have not picked a system (waiting for odyssey this holiday season), so it's not like I have experienced the system myself.

Years
  • How many people are buying the system to play as a console? Ill probably never play the Switch as a console if I ever get one. But thats just me.

Maybe I just think too narrowly. I always think of Nintendo as totally separate from the rest of the gaming companies, but I'm probably wrong. We will have to compare sales come November and December to really tell who is "winning" so to speak.
    Honestly I play mine in handheld and tabletop mode mostly, but that is because I have always been more of a portable gamer. On my days off though I usually spend quite a lot of hours playing on the TV. I do know a few people interested in the system who would play mostly in TV mode. But that is truly the best part, the ability to choose what you want in general or what you want at the time. Just because it's a home console that is a portable doesn't make it pretty much a portable and vice versa. It is what you want it to be. Only reason I say that it is a home console by definition is because that is how Nintendo markets it and descrIbes it. And they would know since they created it. Especially since they have not decided whether to continue a dedicated portable line or not yet so things on that front are still up in the air. We very well could see another DS iteration.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Keeping in mind I've yet to even touch one and this is based solely on a handful of videos I've seen, I want to say yes. I'm probably idealizing it since, like I said, never touched one or seen how it runs in person, but it seems like the ultimate console to me - along with the mentioned versatility, the motion controls here seem really impressive (realistically, I doubt many people care about this but after watching some videos I actually really want to try 1-2 Switch - if only it came bundled) and I think one of the biggest things that separates it from past Nintendo consoles is that it seems there will be a wider range of non-Nintendo games available on it.

Like BadSheep, in the past I have considered Nintendo just on its own, separate from the other companies, but that was mainly because it was so exclusive to itself and its image - when I think Nintendo, I think Mario and Pokémon and Zelda, and all the other wildly popular but very family-friendly franchises that they've always wanted to have represent the company. But they seem to be branching out a bit now, and I'm excited to see that the Switch will be versatile not only in the whole portable/console thing, but also the games that will be on it. The selection so far still fits very much with their usual image, but the inclusion of games like Skyrim makes me hopeful that the future holds a wider range of games that will help put it on the level of Sony and Microsoft consoles.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    In spec terms Nintendo doesn't have a chance in hell. The XB1 and PS4 leave it in the dust. Friend Codes are an archaic and messy system that can't hold up to the PSN+ and XBL platforms either.

But I mean, I don't think Nintendo intends for it to compete with the other two.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I am actually surprised by the answers, I thought most would say no.

I honestly don't care. Competition is kinda stupid for me...... never understood why people would fight for stuff like this tbh. (Not saying it's the case with this thread, just on the internet in general)

Just touching on a point here, before I answer, competition isn't meant as in people on the internet fighting over which is better, competition is meant between companies trying to out-do one another, and is extremely important in the marketing world, and for us as consumers. Without competition we would see prices skyrocket with little innovation and nothing would be able to be done to change it. Competition lowers prices and forces companies to offer something new to attract buyers to their product. For example, Intel has been sitting without competition for far too long, and the prices of their processors is huge, with little new developments to make the latest gen of processors more appealing, besides a little fine-tuning here and there.

Now on the to point about the Switch vs other consoles, and to be honest, I feel like many people are looking at the Switch the wrong way. People are seeing it as it stands right now, and overlook some points that can really change where it stands. As it is, the arguments currently are that it is a console that can become a handheld on the fly, with decent graphics to back that up and versatile control options. But people overlook things like it's ability to recognise hand-shapes and the hd vibration. Sure, these seem useless in gaming, and Nintendo is surely aware than in most games produced today, hd vibration and shape identification is pretty much useless. But the question begs then, where is it useful, and why put it in the Switch in the first place? Well the answer lies with Virtual Reality. In the 3DS we have seen Nintendo dabble in experimental Augmented Reality stuff, showing their interest in moving down this line of hardware, and the Switch, I feel, is the next step. The Switch has everything it needs to utilise VR already, besides the software and headset. But should Nintendo see an opening, the Switch could become a household VR system, which many people already have in their homes and is currently cheaper than many if not all VR systems out there. Nintendo, if they are indeed looking at a VR system, would dominate the market in an instant, with the console also double up as a general console and handheld, it would be the ultimate gaming system, and at it's current price tag, would undercut all competitors by miles.

As it is I don't feel the Switch competes well at all with existing consoles nor with existing handhelds, instead sitting in a middle ground as a jack-of-all-trades for its price tag. But if VR is included as part of its line up, suddenly the Switch becomes a dominant player in this competition, and many companies would have a hard time out-doing it in any time soon at all. Only time will tell, but I'm very convinced Nintendo has ulterior motives for the Switch, and I would be very excited to see that come to fruition as an affordable VR system with use as a regular console and handheld to boot.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • In spec terms Nintendo doesn't have a chance in hell. The XB1 and PS4 leave it in the dust. Friend Codes are an archaic and messy system that can't hold up to the PSN+ and XBL platforms either.

But I mean, I don't think Nintendo intends for it to compete with the other two.
    More to a console then specs and FCs aren't the only way to add friends on the Switch (one of several, actually).

Years
  • Just touching on a point here, before I answer, competition isn't meant as in people on the internet fighting over which is better, competition is meant between companies trying to out-do one another, and is extremely important in the marketing world, and for us as consumers. Without competition we would see prices skyrocket with little innovation and nothing would be able to be done to change it. Competition lowers prices and forces companies to offer something new to attract buyers to their product. For example, Intel has been sitting without competition for far too long, and the prices of their processors is huge, with little new developments to make the latest gen of processors more appealing, besides a little fine-tuning here and there.

Now on the to point about the Switch vs other consoles, and to be honest, I feel like many people are looking at the Switch the wrong way. People are seeing it as it stands right now, and overlook some points that can really change where it stands. As it is, the arguments currently are that it is a console that can become a handheld on the fly, with decent graphics to back that up and versatile control options. But people overlook things like it's ability to recognise hand-shapes and the hd vibration. Sure, these seem useless in gaming, and Nintendo is surely aware than in most games produced today, hd vibration and shape identification is pretty much useless. But the question begs then, where is it useful, and why put it in the Switch in the first place? Well the answer lies with Virtual Reality. In the 3DS we have seen Nintendo dabble in experimental Augmented Reality stuff, showing their interest in moving down this line of hardware, and the Switch, I feel, is the next step. The Switch has everything it needs to utilise VR already, besides the software and headset. But should Nintendo see an opening, the Switch could become a household VR system, which many people already have in their homes and is currently cheaper than many if not all VR systems out there. Nintendo, if they are indeed looking at a VR system, would dominate the market in an instant, with the console also double up as a general console and handheld, it would be the ultimate gaming system, and at it's current price tag, would undercut all competitors by miles.

As it is I don't feel the Switch competes well at all with existing consoles nor with existing handhelds, instead sitting in a middle ground as a jack-of-all-trades for its price tag. But if VR is included as part of its line up, suddenly the Switch becomes a dominant player in this competition, and many companies would have a hard time out-doing it in any time soon at all. Only time will tell, but I'm very convinced Nintendo has ulterior motives for the Switch, and I would be very excited to see that come to fruition as an affordable VR system with use as a regular console and handheld to boot.
    I heard about this also being the secret behind the Switch as well. If this is truly the case then that would be something wonderful. I would love to see what could happen with Metroid and StarFox with that technology. If the Switch becomes a VR system then it will really be the ultimate video game system and thinking of it being portable, home console and VR is just hype inducing. I hope the rumors are true.

Circuit

Years
  • I heard about this also being the secret behind the Switch as well. If this is truly the case then that would be something wonderful. I would love to see what could happen with Metroid and StarFox with that technology. If the Switch becomes a VR system then it will really be the ultimate video game system and thinking of it being portable, home console and VR is just hype inducing. I hope the rumors are true.

We will have to wait and see, of course, Nintendo is also known for being a bit aloof with regards to gaming norms and expectancy, and it might also be that Nintendo just added the hd rumble and whatnot because it was cool and they could do it, but most of what Nintendo has released has had a definite purpose with its innovation... The Virtualboy and Wii U aside.

Years
  • If they really do VR with this then Nintendo truly did incorporate the DNA of all their consoles into this system just like they said in the main Switch presentation.

Circuit

Years
  • That's a good point, they did say that. And all consoles would include the Virtualboy. I'm super convinced that Nintendo is gonna hit us with the VR announcement at some point and everyone will just be blown away. I wont sleep from now until they do it, that's how convinced I am by this theory XD

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    More to a console then specs

Sorry, i think there's a misunderstanding here. I didn't mean that the only thing a console needs is specs, I was highlighting that the massive difference in specs is why the Switch isn't designed to compete with the PS4/XB1.

and FCs aren't the only way to add friends on the Switch (one of several, actually).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-02-friend-codes-return-for-nintendo-switch

Like it or not, Friend-Codes are still front and center, even if two other methods are tacked on.

Back