• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[WotQ] August 2014: Music - Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Website of the Quarter
    @Technology & Internet
    Music
    Examples: Pandora, Spotify, iHeartRadio
    Hosted by Endless and yours truly; if you have any questions or concerns regarding WotQ, please forward them to any of us.
    Welcome!
    Website of the Quater is a contest where, every three months, we get to nominate and vote for new websites depending on a particular theme, and choose a winner. Winner would then go on to be featured in our forum-splash. Without further ado, let's get straight to business!
    Guidelines
    Every quarter, we'll be having a set theme. All websites that you nominate must range within it, or else, they would not make it to voting round.
    • You're allowed to nominate your own website, but it's recommended not to, as it could be seen as advertising to some people.
    • Whenever a website wins, they would be added to Hall of Fame list for said year. Once they're there, they cannot be nominated again until next year.
    • All websites that you nominate must be appropriate; if they are not, they will not be counted.
    • Theme for this quarter is music, so all websites that you place here must fit that.
    • You'll be getting an emblem for participation, and if one of your nominations wind up winning, you'll get an additional one.
    • Nominations would last for about 21 days; to nominate, just fill out the form below and post a reply!
    • You may nominate only three websites per quarter.
    Hall of Fame
    • Steam - May 2014 winner
    Nomination
    Website name: This is where the website's name should go.
    Website link: Website's address goes here.
    Description: This is optional, but if you like, you may give us a brief description of it.

Last edited:

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
    Years
  • This is so an obvious choice.

Website Name: Pandora

Website Link:
    http://www.pandora.com

Pandora is an application that requires internet obviously, but it's the greatest invention for listening to music. I feel like Pandora is a living thing because it knows exactly what kind of music you want at anytime. But Pandora not only lets you listen to the radio but you can also create your own playlist to play anytime!

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • Website name: Spotify

Website link: spotify.com

Description:
    Spotify is a website that offers a wide array of music genres depending on your tastes, mood and needs. Need a playlist to start off your day with a bang? Some soft background music for your lounge parties? A few soothing tracks to send you off to sleep? They have it all. Also, based on what you're listening to, Spotify will recommend to you songs that they think you'd love. Don't know what you want? Let the in-built radio decide. You'll also be able to share playlists/songs that you love with other users from around the world from your best friend to Barack Obama, as well as follow users with playlists/songs that you can't get enough of. Who knows? You might even get a party started at the White House!

Last edited:

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • Website name: The Weirdest Band in the World

Website link: http://weirdestbandintheworld.com/

Description: This is a blog that looks at unusual music and the artists behind it all. Now, this usually isn't just "haha look at how crazy these people are" - most of the time, the people making the posts look at the featured musicians in an insightful and respectful way. A new artist is featured every week, with a short biography and videos of some of their more notable work. Daily posts cover general goings-on in the music world, particularly relating to musicians who have previously been featured. Readers are given opportunities to suggest and vote on future content.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Not sure if MIDI counts as music, but if it does:
    Website name: VGMusic
    Website link: vgmusic.com
    Description: It's pretty much a collection of MIDI files you can download from many games.

Dragon_Trainer_

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Years
  • This is totally the Winning site~!

Website Name: Soundcloud
    Website URL: https://soundcloud.com/
    Description: The best site for online sound streaming and sound sharing. All latest releases come out here and there's practically no sound that isn't here. A great cross-platform site. Has it's own Android App as well. Allows you to follow your favorite composers and updates your list their latest uploads. Feel like spreading the love of your compositions? No problem, Upload your own sound and share it with the world! Soundcloud~!

Years
  • The Winner Has Arrived!

Name of Website: YouTube
    Website Address: youtube.com
    Description: Although YouTube's videos receive much attention, it also features a vast collection of music and lyric videos. One of my favorite features is the artist playlists that feature a list of songs by just one artist. I also enjoy watching the official music videos to my favorite songs and seeing the lyric videos various people have made and posted.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Website name: Last.fm.
    Website link: http://www.last.fm/
    Description: Here, for most part, you get to listen to music without paying a single penny. There are millions of songs waiting for you to listen. It also has a recommendation system, which allows you to constantly discover new music, expanding your horizon. This site also gives you chance to locate music events which you could attend, as well as meet and befriend people who share your taste in genres.

Thoriére

[i]If everything's a dream, don't wake me.[/i]
    Years
  • Website Name: 8tracks
    Website Link: http://www.8tracks.com
    Description: This website allows for anyone, user or non-user, to access thousands of playlist of any mood, genre, band, or even franchise -- all for free! It's incredible, and the people who upload their playlists are from all over the world.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Website Name: Shazam (more over the app, but the site too)
    Website Link: http://www.shazam.com/
    Description: Ever wanted to discover the name of your favorite hit song that you like to listen to on the radio day in and day out? Look no further than Shazam! Shazam allows you to transfer the sounds of the song into data that tells you the name of the song, the artist, and the album in which the song is from. It also gives you charts of the most Shazamed songs, giving you popular songs that people are listening to today. You'll never have to go another day trying to grudgingly figure out what a song is.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Website name: Spotify
    Website link: Website's address goes here.
    Description: It's essentially the end all to these "radio" websites and mobile applications. One of the drawing features of these sites is the fact that you get to listen a radio of your favorite genre/mix of artists. Spotify takes that a step further, allowing you to pick exactly what songs you want to play. You don't get to choose every specific song, but you can rest easy and save your skips knowing the playlist will be made up of songs you hand approved. You get more skips in a smaller time frame. It's a little more expensive than popular competitors such as Pandora when it comes to their premium service, but it offers enough extra features to cover that. If you go with their premium, you get specific song selection, as well as the ability to download this music and play it offline, saving you valued data. Or, if the radio is your thing, you get unlimited skips for that feature. Personally, I find the radio to have better tuning features and a stronger variety. You aren't hearing the same popular songs and over, forcing to change between channels until you hope to get a good one.

Years
  • Hmm, I guess this wasn't an easy one to decide on.. I'd like to see a little more participation if that's okay with y'all. I'm extending the deadline for another week, so you guys have until Monday September 15th (or 15 September) to nominate any website in the category of music!

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
  • Website name: Hype Machine [about]
    Website link: http://hypem.com/
    Description: Hype Machine is a tool for music blogs, and the music that bloggers write about. Picked from the sea of thousands of music blogs on the internet, HypeM brings a handpicked selection to their site for others to listen to and look through, as well as each blog from their listing of, currently, 817 online music blogs. Each sound post from these blogs makes it's way to the site to be favorited and listened to with respective links to sources.

A tool for empowering the independent voices that write about music, as their About page says, Hype Machine helps both the bloggers and the listeners find and discover both what they're looking for and more, from the indie scene and up.

It has many neat functions for sorting through what you browse and listen to, as well as following particular artists or blogs. I'll leave that for everyone else to figure out, if they are into this at all. I've enjoyed the site for many years now.~

Website name: Bandcamp
    Website link: https://bandcamp.com/
    Description: A site for music artists and fans alike, Bandcamp is a music player for content uploaded by music artists from all kinds of backgrounds, experiences, and genres. Likewise, it's just as accessible to the fans to listen and to buy their favorites.

With different options to browse the Discover section as well as a section down bottom on the homepage with a feed for currently selling tracks and albums around the world, you're likely to find something you like, and you're able to listen to all of it before you have to commit to buying it. (Or you can just listen forever in the browser or on you phone.)

You can find just about all kinds of music on here, and Bandcamp has become more popular over the years, and has shown it by growing its site accordingly. (I also applaud them for their simple, yet neat smartphone application that actually caches music you play from your own bought collections.)
    You're likely to find many great albums that you like, sometimes for as low as $1. Though you always have the option to pay what you want, so long as you meet the price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Website name: Rate Your Music
    Website link: https://rateyourmusic.com
    Description: There are so many listening websites in here that I thought I'd throw in something a little different. rateyourmusic.com is pretty much what it says on the tin. Outdated looks but that's about where the drawbacks stop. Probably the largest user-built catalogue of reviews and ratings on the internet featuring thousands of contributions from music enthusiasts who know what they're on about. Find people whose music taste you respect and add them to your favourites to see their reviews, ratings, and averages of their ratings before everyone else's. If the music you want to know about isn't on there you can just add it yourself. Also has active forums for discussing music. Pretty much the music enthusiast's secret lover (aside from one other website that probably shouldn't be linked here for legality reasons ;]).

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Website Name: Spotify

Website Link: http://www.spotify.com/

Description: I've used Spotify for many years and haven't been disappointed with it at all. I've collaborated a nice playlist over the years with hundreds of songs that I listen to almost on a daily basis, also with Spotify premium you get no ads and unlimited listening restrictions!

Years
  • Bleh, I was hoping to get a larger turnout. Oh well. Anyways, nominations are long past due so this topic is now closed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back