• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News Antifa attack conservative blogger Andy Ngo amid violence at Portland Proud Boys protest

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Anon 1848

A conservative writer has been attacked by antifascists amid violence at clashing demonstrations in Portland.

Andy Ngo was surrounded and beaten by protesters wearing black with their faces concealed, while being covered in a milkshake, eggs and spray on Saturday.

He was taken to hospital for treatment after posting a video showing bruises and cuts to his face and neck.

"I just got beat up by the crowd," Mr Ngo said. "I was in the middle of the street and they stole my GoPro and punched me several times in my face and my head. I'm bleeding."

He had been covering protests against the male chauvinist Proud Boys group, which is known for street fighting, in the Oregon city.

Three people have so far been arrested for offences including assault on a public safety officer, harassment and disorderly conduct.

Police said five protesters and three police officers were treated by medics for injuries during the protests, and three people were taken to hospital after being attacked with weapons.

One counter-demonstration had been organised by Rose City Antifa, which accused the Proud Boys of "planning to invade downtown Portland, looking for targets for violent attacks".

They called for people to "defend our city" in an online blog that accused Mr Ngo of Islamophobia and promoting the Proud Boys.

Mr Ngo is an editor at online magazine Quilette but opponents characterise him as a far-right campaigner and criticised him over a Wall Street Journal article published last year entitled: "A visit to Islamic England."

His lawyer, Harmeet K Dhillon, said doctors were monitoring Mr Ngo's head injuries in hospital.

Supporters have already donated more than $70,000 (£55,000) to a crowdfunding page called the Protect Andy Ngo Fund.

Local media reported that only 30 people turned up for the original protest – a "patriot prayer" rally – in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square on Saturday afternoon.

Police attempted to keep them apart from a larger counter-demonstration in Lownsdale Square, where the Portland Mercury observed organisers giving out "milkshakes" in antifascist-branded cups.

The Portland Police Bureau said it later received reports of individuals throwing "milkshakes" with a substance mixed in that was similar to a quick-drying cement, adding: "One subject was arrested for throwing a substance during the incident."

The trend of "milkshaking" right-wing figures started in the UK last month, when the British anti-Islam activist Tommy Robinson was targeted, and has since spread to the US.

Disorder broke out when a group of antifascist protesters left their designated area and marched towards the Proud Boys rally, repeatedly trying to get around police blockades.

One banner read "f*** Nazis and fascists", while some protesters waved a banner for the Satanic Portland Antifascists and chanted: "Not hate, no fear, Proud Boys are not welcome here."

Footage showed scuffles between opposing protesters, while several antifascists were wearing face coverings or helmets, and carrying homemade shields, bats and weapons.

The Portland Police Bureau said two protests from Chapman Square and Lownsdale Park Square merged and started an unpermitted march towards Pioneer Square that stopped traffic.

"There were multiple assaults reported, as well as projectiles thrown at demonstrators and officers," a statement added. "There were also reports of pepper spray and bear spray being used by people in the crowd. Officers deployed pepper spray during the incident."

Two officers were pepper sprayed, another was punched and a colleague was hit in the head with a projectile during what police labelled a "civil disturbance".

After issuing a dispersal order, three people were arrested. A 23-year-old man was charged with second-degree assault and assault of a police officer, a 21-year-old man was charged with harassment and a 23-year-old woman with disorderly conduct and harassment.

Assistant police chief Chris Davis said: "There are hundreds of peaceful free speech events in the city in a given year that do not result in violence. Unfortunately, today some community members and officers were injured.

"We are actively investigating these incidents to hold those responsible accountable."

Police are appealing anyone who witnessed or filmed violence to contact [email protected].

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...o-portland-proud-boys-alt-right-a8981331.html

I'll link to two tweets below in a spoiler tag for anyone who wants to see footage of the attack and the journalist's recorded reaction shortly after. It's not "too" graphic but I'm not quite sure what the limits are when it comes to posting violent footage on this forum.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Violence is never the answer. This behavior is disgusting.

The Proud Boys is a twisted organization for sure, however, attacking someone is not okay under any circumstance.

Last edited:

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    It's almost as if a guy (he is not a journalist, lmao) that has built his career on peddling bigotry about Muslims and acting as a bad faith mouthpiece for fascist causes knew what he was doing when he deliberately drew focus from anti-fascist participants in America's longest running street brawl - almost as if he knows how to propagate far-right ideology through getting his ass beat, almost as if he is friends with and a close professional associate of Joey Gibson, a man who is known to advise Portland police how to frame conflict in favour of white supremacists. And that's all I'll say on that.

Years
  • It's almost as if a guy (he is not a journalist, lmao) that has built his career on peddling bigotry about Muslims and acting as a bad faith mouthpiece for fascist causes knew what he was doing when he deliberately drew focus from anti-fascist participants in America's longest running street brawl - almost as if he knows how to propagate far-right ideology through getting his ass beat, almost as if he is friends with and a close professional associate of Joey Gibson, a man who is known to advise Portland police how to frame conflict in favour of white supremacists. And that's all I'll say on that.

There is a lot to deconstruct here but first of all how is he not a journalist? Second no matter what he believes or said that is in no way deserving of getting viciously attacked. Third and this may be off topic but do you have proof that Joey gibson was advising the Portland Police on how to frame conflict in favor of white supremacists?

As others have said I have to echo in that violence is not the answer be it a crowbar or a milkshake with cement. Hopefully this will spur cops across the nation to crack down on these Alt Right and Alt Left protests.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Let's not attempt to justify violence. Politics aside, violence is unacceptable. If you disagree with someone and their ideology, there are other ways to discuss things civilly. Harming another individual is unwarranted and unnecessary, I don't care how much you disagree with them.

Years
  • Also thought it is worth mentioning that Mr. Nao was not the only one who was attacked, two others: John Blum and Adam Kelly were mobbed and beaten for attending a "him too" protest nearby the ANTIFA rally. Apparently the protest was to raise awareness for sexual assault against men ( Although I confess, I have no idea if this is their true purpose or just an anti feminist movement, as I am just now really hearing about them) Anyway I won't link to the article because the pictures are pretty graphic but if you want to learn more just google the names.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    Proving yet again, that antifa are fascist thugs. Agree with them in all things or get beaten and have chemicals thrown on you.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I usually prefer it that change and progress come from more peaceful methods. But some days though....some days it just feels like no amount of civil discourse will do anything and the only way to get anything done is through force.

User Anon 1848

I usually prefer it that change and progress come from more peaceful methods. But some days though....some days it just feels like no amount of civil discourse will do anything and the only way to get anything done is through force.

If you need violence to get anything done then your message or delivery probably isn't good enough. Styxhexenhammer did far more by debating Richard Spencer and leaving him speechless at times due to Richard having no counterarguments than that random antifa member who sucker punched him from behind. The latter just paints the victim as a sympathetic figure even if they're ultimately a terrible person. It's not a smart or moral tactic and it baffles me when people who live in a democratic society support this kind of thing. It just feels like people using politics as an excuse to act out their worst instincts.

Years
  • I usually prefer it that change and progress come from more peaceful methods. But some days though....some days it just feels like no amount of civil discourse will do anything and the only way to get anything done is through force.

I can understand the frustration, however violence is ultimately self defeating. Just looking at the fall out of this, and you have Mr. Ngo appearing on CNN while those that attacked him are in a prison cell. He has become far more popular and influential after the attack than he was before it. Meanwhile those in power are distancing themselves from ANTIFA or outright denouncing them.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    People who say violence is never the answer need to have a long hard look at the Second World War.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    And as for John Blum, he turned up to the AntiFa crowd brandishing a telescoping baton and went for them. He instigated the incident.

D-eXcf7WsAAL7xy.jpg

of course, right wing media has only shown the tail end of the footage in an attempt to pretend this was a vicious assault on an innocent, sweet old man and not someone responding to Santa Klaus here rushing people with a baton.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    People who say violence is never the answer need to have a long hard look at the Second World War.

The antifa start with violence. Portland needs to crack down on these masked thugs.

And as for John Blum, he turned up to the AntiFa crowd brandishing a telescoping baton and went for them. He instigated the incident.

D-eXcf7WsAAL7xy.jpg

of course, right wing media has only shown the tail end of the footage in an attempt to pretend this was a vicious assault on an innocent, sweet old man and not someone responding to Santa Klaus here rushing people with a baton.

Bull crap. Antifa attacked a gay man in an American flag dress and Blum tried to help him.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/20...-broke-out-after-one-man-came-to-his-aid.html

The antifa are trying to spin it to make themselves look better. Antifa are domestic terrorists using violence for their political goals.

Years
  • People who say violence is never the answer need to have a long hard look at the Second World War.

Because nations going to war is completely similar to random acts of violence between citizens on the streets right? Or... it is completely different, and a terrible comparison.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    LDSman said:
    the guh dang anti antifa fa

I mean, you don't know what the word Fascist means LSDman so I'm not sure what value there is in engaging you on this bad faith crusade but Blum wasn't defending anyone, he turned up there to fight.

Then, Resnick said, "the mob just started attacking'' Blum. Resnick said he didn't know Blum.

Only, we know, from you know, photographic and video evidence, that this isn't what happened at all. Blum had his baton out, approached people with it. Resnick describes an event that we know did not happen that way. In fact your own article cites these very videos and images that show Blum approaching people he was not previously engaged with whilst brandishing a weapon. We don't have any footage of the fictional account of Resnick, where Blum was apparently beaten without any physical moves from himself, what we do have is video and photographic images disputing this and even other witnesses. Hell, in the cropped video the right are choosing to push you can even see black bloc members trying to separate the fight.

So let's break it down

One witness who describes an event we know did not happen

Several witnesses, videos and photos showing an event that did actually happen

Which one is the truth?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    Violence is the last resort, not the first (outside specific, my life or the lives of others is in danger right now!!, scenarios). Antifa starts with violence. They are the modern day Brownshirts.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    LDSman said:
    Violence is the last resort, not the first (outside specific, my life or the lives of others is in danger right now!!, scenarios). Antifa starts with violence. They are the modern day Brownshirts.

Again, as someone acutely familiar with the history of Fascism it's honestly embarrassing reading these posts.

https://twitter.com/Johnnthelefty/status/1146236578110439424/video/1

Here, video proof that you're talking crap. Where's Resnick? Where's the unprovoked transphobic/homopohic assault that your boy was valiantly stepping in to stop?

There was one man who had horrible injuries who was simply trying to defend someone, and that wasn't Blum, it was Adam Kelly, but the right can't sell Kelly as a defenseless old man so he's barely mentioned and instead of saying "Kelly was a victim" we're treated to an observably false story.

We also know it was the Patriot Prayer boys who launched the first attack in the particular brawl that involved Kelly and Blum. They grabbed a boy from behind in a choke hold and tried to drag him off, that's when the Black bloc boys started fighting them. Again, unlike your claims, we have this on video.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Again, as someone acutely familiar with the history of Fascism it's honestly embarrassing reading these posts.

https://twitter.com/Johnnthelefty/status/1146236578110439424/video/1

Here, video proof that you're talking crap. Where's Resnick? Where's the unprovoked transphobic/homopohic assault that your boy was valiantly stepping in to stop?

There was one man who had horrible injuries who was simply trying to defend someone, and that wasn't Blum, it was Adam Kelly, but the right can't sell Kelly as a defenseless old man so he's barely mentioned and instead of saying "Kelly was a victim" we're treated to an observably false story.

That is an extremely cropped video as well, showing only a few seconds of the incident already in progress, do you have a full video showing possibly the minutes leading up and after the incident? The source of the video also does not seem to be the most unbias source out there, considering his Twitter avatar and his hashtags.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    EnglishALT said:
    That is an extremely cropped video as well, showing only a few seconds of the incident already in progress, do you have a full video showing possibly the minutes leading up and after the incident? The source of the video also does not seem to be the most unbias source out there, considering his Twitter avatar and his hashtags

Oh, so when the right were showing Blum's cropped victim video we were just to accept it as the evil violent antifa, but when we're using raw footage from the day you want a frame by frame of the hours leading up to it? Some things never change hey :)

https://twitter.com/Johnnthelefty

John has collected as much footage from the day as he can, there's a coherent timeline both of patriot prayers antagonizing people and the violence as it erupts. This isn't the whole event, there were several broken up groups present, but this is the most comprehensive collection of footage from the Blum incident and it mostly corroborates what people on the ground who aren't right wing instigators said. I'll dig more angles up if you'd like.

The difference here of course is that these aren't cropped, they're raw snippets recorded by bystanders and other protesters as and when things heated up. The one the right wing media has been pushing is heavily cropped and has the benefit of the media circus following the bloodied man.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    I mean, you don't know what the word Fascist means LSDman so I'm not sure what value there is in engaging you on this bad faith crusade but Blum wasn't defending anyone, he turned up there to fight.
    Turned up there to fight? Like the thugs in masks who attack journalists, businesses, police and anyone else who isn't part of their group?

Only, we know, from you know, photographic and video evidence, that this isn't what happened at all. Blum had his baton out, approached people with it. Resnick describes an event that we know did not happen that way. In fact your own article cites these very videos and images that show Blum approaching people he was not previously engaged with whilst brandishing a weapon. We don't have any footage of the fictional account of Resnick, where Blum was apparently beaten without any physical moves from himself, what we do have is video and photographic images disputing this and even other witnesses. Hell, in the cropped video the right are choosing to push you can even see black bloc members trying to separate the fight.

So let's break it down

One witness who describes an event we know did not happen

Several witnesses, videos and photos showing an event that did actually happen

Which one is the truth?

It's far too easy to crop photos and edit video to show what you want people to see.
    It's in the antifa's interests to lie about what started the fight. Why would this guy claim that Blum was helping him when the fighting started?
    All the people trying to claim Blum started it are Antifa. The same people attacking others with chains and cement milk shakes. They have zero credibility.

Why would Blum, an older man attack a freaking mob of masked thugs without reason?

Where's the video from the antifa showing this "unprovoked" attack? They just happened to not be recording?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back