• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Entry Restriction At Worlds 2016

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/entry-restrictions-at-the-2016-world-championships/

IM SO SALTY ABOUT THIS... anyway Worlds 2016 is closed to the general public and I was planning on going :( I can write up something quick about this since I know a bunch of people were planning on going but now they can't.. rip. Might be good to get the word out since they only announced this ~1 week before the actual event when people's trips have been planned for months.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/entry-restrictions-at-the-2016-world-championships/

IM SO SALTY ABOUT THIS... anyway Worlds 2016 is closed to the general public and I was planning on going :( I can write up something quick about this since I know a bunch of people were planning on going but now they can't.. rip. Might be good to get the word out since they only announced this ~1 week before the actual event when people's trips have been planned for months.
    I'll also approve now given the time-sensitive aspect (plus it's interesting!), so this is greenlit. Would you like to write this here, or in the subsection? Let me know if the latter and someone'll copy a post into a new thread for you there.

Also, please PM me or Jake your email, desired username (can't be changed) and nickname (can be changed; how you get credited on the wordpress site as an author via the fancier display thing.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • FYI, this was known for weeks as this was told to the competitors on their invitations. While it doesn't really change the tone of the article, it should be noted that while this was known, TPCi neglected to make a public announcement.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I can just write it here. I don't think it'll be that long, but I will do my best :) PMd you the info.

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • EDIT SORRY FOR THE NOTIFICATIONS I KEEP EDITING THIS POST
    FYI, this was known for weeks as this was told to the competitors on their invitations. While it doesn't really change the tone of the article, it should be noted that while this was known, TPCi neglected to make a public announcement.

There was a document that said spectators should show up early to obtain a Spectator/Guest badge, so it was thought that people could still show up to watch without being an official participant. This announcement kills that, though :(

I can upload it but it's kind of a big PDF. These are the important parts in the email sent:

Please note: As of this year's World Championships, all attendees within the event venue must have an official event
    badge. This includes participants, the parents and guardians of players under 18 years of age (designated as "guests"),
    and non-participating spectators. Capacity in the event venue is limited, and a limited number of spectator badges will be
    distributed. Entry without an official event badge will not be permitted.

Badge
    All attendees (including participants, non-participating spectators, and guests) within the World Championships event
    venue are required to have an official event badge. Each person's badge should be worn so it is easily visible. Entry to
    "Badge Access Only" areas without an official event badge will not be permitted. Anyone within a "Badge Access Only"
    area who does not have an official event badge will be asked to leave. The Pokémon Center store will be accessible
    without an event badge.

I don't know if this should be included in the article, as this is now void with the announcement.

Last edited:

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • There was a document that said spectators should show up early to obtain a Spectator/Guest badge, so it was thought that people could still show up to watch without being an official participant. This announcement kills that, though :(

Hmmm, I don't see where this is killed off:

Capacity in the event venue is limited, and a limited number of spectator badges will be distributed.

My intention isn't to nitpick, but to share my frustrations that a public announcement clarifying this policy was not made sooner. I share your anger btw, I was planning on attending since I haven't been able to attend Worlds since 2011. I was hoping to see some of my friends around the world but that's going to be limited depending on how far they get in the tournament and how much they want to spectate. Looking forward to your article.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Hmmm, I don't see where this is killed off:

My intention isn't to nitpick, but to share my frustrations that a public announcement clarifying this policy was not made sooner. I share your anger btw, I was planning on attending since I haven't been able to attend Worlds since 2011. I was hoping to see some of my friends around the world but that's going to be limited depending on how far they get in the tournament and how much they want to spectate.

It's fine, please nitpick! I dont mind at all :)

In the new announcement they say:
    Each invited player will be given a Player badge. Each invited player under 18 years of age will be guaranteed one Guest badge at check-in, to allow one parent or guardian into the event venue. We will do our best to accommodate additional family members of invited players, but attendees should note that additional Guest badges are not guaranteed. Any additional Guest badges will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, and supplies are limited. An email with these details is being sent to invited players.

This means that only family members and people brought by the official players can attend, not random non-participating spectators (the public). I will make that clearer in my other post.

I wanted to go, too :( I wanted to write something about it for the Daily but now I cant even get in RIP.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I'll also approve now given the time-sensitive aspect (plus it's interesting!), so this is greenlit. Would you like to write this here, or in the subsection? Let me know if the latter and someone'll copy a post into a new thread for you there.

Also, please PM me or Jake your email, desired username (can't be changed) and nickname (can be changed; how you get credited on the wordpress site as an author via the fancier display thing.

((Side note: this is TPCi's image for the event so it could be used as the top image. Let me know if I should change anything else))

Worlds 2016 Closed to the General Public
    The Pokémon Company has posted a message on their website today stating that the 2016 World Championships will be closed to the general public, and that attendance will be restricted even for qualified players' guests. This change is stated to be due to space concerns.

The 2016 World Championships is an event where players who have qualified from all over the world in different events compete for the title of #1. The three events that are scheduled for 2016 are the TCG, ORAS VGC, and Pokkén Championships. This event is being held in San Francisco at the Marriott Marquis Hotel from August 19 to 21.

The event's location and dates have been public information for many months. Dozens of players have booked flights and hotels in order to attend as spectators, only to have the rug pulled out from under them a week before the event is scheduled.

While this information was only posted today, it was hinted at last week when Aaron Zheng, a commentator for Pokémon VGC competitions, posted part of a document sent to qualified Worlds players on Twitter. This document hinted that admission would be granted to the general public, but only as a first-come-first-serve deal, as anybody wanting to attend must have an official badge granting entry. People who wanted to spectate would have to show up early to obtain a Guest badge that would permit them inside the venue. Additionally, this document states that side events, such as an open VGC tournament that was hosted last year, would be located at a separate location across the street, further hinting that there were space concerns.

However, the Pokémon Company's new announcement clarifies that the guest badges are only available for one parent or guardian of qualified players under 18, and that it is not guaranteed anybody else will be allowed to bring guests into the venue, or that players will be allowed to bring more than one guest.

In the past years, attendance has been open to anyone who wished to spectate in person instead of following streams on The Pokémon Company's website. Additionally, Pokémon had been distributed over local Wi-Fi--in 2014, players could get an Aegislash, and in 2015, Sharpedo was available. The fact that no Pokémon was announced to be distributed earlier also hints at the fact that the Pokémon Company was concerned about the lack of space, though there is no explanation as to why players were not warned before making travel plans.

Players are encouraged to instead watch coverage of the events at the Pokémon Company's website, where all three events will be shown.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The 2016 World Championships is an event where players who have qualified all over the world in different events
    I'd add "from" in-between "qualified" and "all over," so "players who have qualified from all over the world."

Dozens of players have booked flights and hotels
    On the one hand, I think "dozens" implies a much smaller number than how many are actually affected. On the other hand, I'm not sure of another word to use in its place that won't over-exaggerate the matter... But there are definitely more than dozen affected by this, hm...

However, the Pokémon Company's new announcement clarifies that the guest badges are only available for parents or guardians of qualified players under 18,
    I'd change this to "only available for one parent or guardian," because, well, competitors under 18 can only receive one guest pass (another point of disappointment for some, since some young competitors' families were planning on going, if you feel like adding that detail).

In the past years, attendance has been open to anyone who wished to spectate in-life instead of following streams on The Pokémon Company's website.
    I would change "in-life" to "in person."

Additionally, Pokémon were also distributed over local Wi-Fi
    I'd change "were also" to "had been," to keep it past tense.

Aside from that this looks fine to me. Short and to the point.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Fixed :) Sorry for the notifications bobandbill, I just edited the post above.

((Also I have an account but does someone else post it or do I..? Sorry this is my first article here))

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ive got a feeling I know why this is. Last year there was a security threat against teh championships wre two people actually traveld to the championsships in order to shoot it up but were thankfully stopped by cops http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/23/9194747/pokemon-world-championships-2015-terror-threat

Ive got a feeling that while they didn't want to say it publicly they wanted to boost security for the championships because of this and the fact of what happend in paris and Germany and just wanted to restrict access to those that have proper clearance to be there. In the end there just playing it better safe than sorry with a event that will attract a huge crowd to it and I cant really blame them for it. Especially when some of the players attending this will be kids

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

Ive got a feeling I know why this is. Last year there was a security threat against teh championships wre two people actually traveld to the championsships in order to shoot it up but were thankfully stopped by cops http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/23/9194747/pokemon-world-championships-2015-terror-threat

Ive got a feeling that while they didn't want to say it publicly they wanted to boost security for the championships because of this and the fact of what happend in paris and Germany and just wanted to restrict access to those that have proper clearance to be there. In the end there just playing it better safe than sorry with a event that will attract a huge crowd to it and I cant really blame them for it. Especially when some of the players attending this will be kids
    I actually surmised this in the thread linking to this article on Pokémon General. That would be my best guess anyway, or maybe they didn't realize about venue capacity limits imposed by a regulatory agency such as a building code/inspection department or fire marshal.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Ive got a feeling I know why this is. Last year there was a security threat against teh championships wre two people actually traveld to the championsships in order to shoot it up but were thankfully stopped by cops http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/23/9194747/pokemon-world-championships-2015-terror-threat

Highly doubtful. The two men who threatened violence last year were qualifiers in the TCG portion, they had every right to be at the venue considering they were competitors. So to filter the general public from the venue, considering the threat made last year was by two people who had earned enough CP to compete, doesn't add up. Their claim for no access is the size of the venue, which is still a shady excuse.

Also, the qualifiers weren't notified weeks before the general public. They only received their e-mails (private, with implications of limited access) a little less than a week before the public announcement that the event would be strictly no-access.

As one of the hundreds (if not thousands) of people who booked their flight in advance, I'm furious.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I actually surmised this in the thread linking to this article on Pokémon General. That would be my best guess anyway, or maybe they didn't realize about venue capacity limits imposed by a regulatory agency such as a building code/inspection department or fire marshal.

Highly doubtful. The two men who threatened violence last year were qualifiers in the TCG portion, they had every right to be at the venue considering they were competitors. So to filter the general public from the venue, considering the threat made last year was by two people who had earned enough CP to compete, doesn't add up. Their claim for no access is the size of the venue, which is still a shady excuse.

Also, the qualifiers weren't notified weeks before the general public. They only received their e-mails (private, with implications of limited access) a little less than a week before the public announcement that the event would be strictly no-access.

As one of the hundreds (if not thousands) of people who booked their flight in advance, I'm furious.

I think maybe we should be using the public discussion thread, not the article thread D:
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=375664

Back