• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Since when are you into art?

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • Be it any kind. I mean, there might be some of us who've been drawing for as long as they can remember and some might've picked up a pencil and paper just recently. Note that, like I said before, this question is not limited to traditional art. It refers to all kinds of art which includes but is not limited to - traditional, digital, graphic art or photography/spriting. I'll totally answer once I get some replies. :p

But yeah, questions to make it more discussion worthy - Since when are you into art? What made you think you should give it a shot? Was the decision a coincidence? I know mine was Is there any person who inspired you or forced you to get into it? Do you believe you are naturally talented to some degree in your choice of medium? last one's kinda unrelated but bleh. interesting question anyway

Last edited:

Adin Terim

Absolutely Insane
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    I recently started drawing, but I've been playing around with photoshop for couple years. As for why I decided that I wanted to learn how to draw, I pretty sure that I saw an image that I liked and was like "I wanna be able to draw something like that and there is no reason why I can't" so here I am. I don't really think that I have much talent at all with drawing stuff, but practice should help me there.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    @Adin Terim : Practice helps everything! Just keep at it and your style and ability will evolve and improve! :D

As for me, I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. Silly things, puppies, kitties -- when I has young, at least. Art has always been a part of my life and will always be, as far as I can foresee it! I took a long hiatus for a while though, during a personal crisis and spent a good few years getting my chops back. But I'm sure every artist has a dry spell now and again (mine just lasted five years ;;). By this point, I've accepted that art and drawing will always be my life-blood. It's in my nature, and is the nature of anyone who has that insatiable need to create.

Anyway, like I was saying, art has always been a part of my life for as long as I can remember in one way or another.
    Dero tell your story!! :o

Inferna

hello stranger, i'm a disaster
    Years
  • I remember sitting on my friends doorstep with a 'how to draw pokemon' book when I was about 5 or 6 and I started drawing an Electabuzz, and it went from there. I used to spend hours drawing fakemon for Pokemon world magazine (even got one printed!). When I was 11 or so I used to draw characters based on stories I had written and when I was 12 went through an 'anime phase'. Had an OC called Nishu haha.
    From about 13 - 16 I didn't do much drawing for myself, I had started spriting and pretty much did that solidly for about 3 years and still do. Although I did take art in school so I was always drawing during that!
    I started drawing again at 16 and worked on improving continously since then. And here I am today.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I started drawing more seriously five years ago. It was sparked by a book series I had discovered, and I had wanted to attempt to draw the characters from said series. I'm told that I have very little (if any) talent by at least one person, but I've had people over 20 years older than I am remark that they'd kill to draw like I can. :? I still have a long way to go, though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2014
    I actually don't produce any physical art at all, but I've been "into" art since I first realized how incredibly difficult it can be to create! Looking at completed pieces always interested me, but it wasn't until I got to observe the complete process that I actually understood. The example that's always stuck with me is this: Watching a space-shuttle launch and claiming to understand how it works is akin to viewing art and claiming to understand it's production.

I consider music and performance art to both fall under the category of art, so I suppose I've been involved in creating art since I was around 8 years old and picked up my first trumpet. I played for years and years, but stopped playing my horn at the same time I stopped doing everything else I enjoyed. That lull lasted for about 5 years, but times have changed quite a bit and I just recently started playing my trumpet again a few weeks ago
    (thanks to very kind and careful prodding by Alexial).

As far as performance art goes, I've been yoyoing for a little over 3 years now and have enjoyed it more than I can say. I've never performed for a paying audience or competed, but I have done a few small exhibitions here and there (none planned). I've been on the fence about yoyoing as art for a while now, but I think there's too many variables in the application to come up with a precise stance. I think the way I yoyo is much less artistic than some and more than others, so who can really say where it falls?

The only other medium I can say I'm involved in is the world of the fountain pen, but I function there more as the "man behind the curtain", not the artist. It would be like a brush-maker claiming to be the one painting the piece! I basically just fix the pens and make them work perfectly so artists like Alexial can take them in hand to create things of beauty. Of course I'd love to call my repair-work art, but it just isn't the case.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • The year of 1999 is when I first started getting into art, when a classmate brought Pokémon: The First Movie for us to watch. I was already into Pokémon, every kid was, but I didn't know a lot about it at the time. I hadn't played the games and I only owned a few of the toys and about four cards from Burger King. I didn't grow up with Kid's WB, so it was my first time seeing Pokémon in action. I thought "I want to make stuff like this," so I started drawing Pokémon and Fakemon and even wrote a few short stories. By the year 2000, classmates regarded me as the best artist in class. Looking back at my older drawings, I was terrible. XD

I'm far from being a fantastic artist, but I love to create and I believe that my ability is natural. While I have been inspired by anime, I rarely take the time to use tutorials or references. My drawings just... happen. Same goes for the coloring. I'll start with this, then add that, then think it would look good if I added this, did that, took away this, step back, tilt my head, change the pose of that arm, fix this nose, step back again, close one eye, add a tail for balance, change the color of that, add more texture to this...

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    My mom says when I was tiny I loved to color (I don't really remember though) but I don't remember being really into drawing until I was in the second grade, I made a bunch of Pokemon friends and we all got a kick out of drawing different Pokemon, that carried on throughout the years, though it's never been something I was dedicated to.

It wasn't until about last month that I started getting back into art seriously this time, it's always been a fleeting thing for me, and I'm taking a figure drawing class that's really gotten me engaged.

Years
  • since i was little ive loved drawing and knew i wanted to be some kind of artist, only about a year ago (im 14 now) did i realize, these skills wont come on their own, i have to learn them. so now im in to graphical design and animation, its still pretty basic but come next school term ill be taking 4 different courses towards it. i dont feel like i have natural talent with things i make but i do feel like i have a strange (if not extreme) urge to not stop if you know what i mean? ill stay up all night not actually making anything but reading and studying up on things to improve myself the best i can. i also kind of over achieve alot, usually i fall flat on my face but when i do what i aimed for its alot better than if id just done something standard and not unique to me

Indeimaus

Ornstein & Smough
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2013
    Basically all of my life I've been drawing some way or another, only in the past 5 years has it been digitally though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2014
    since i was little ive loved drawing and knew i wanted to be some kind of artist, only about a year ago (im 14 now) did i realize, these skills wont come on their own, i have to learn them. so now im in to graphical design and animation, its still pretty basic but come next school term ill be taking 4 different courses towards it. i dont feel like i have natural talent with things i make but i do feel like i have a strange (if not extreme) urge to not stop if you know what i mean? ill stay up all night not actually making anything but reading and studying up on things to improve myself the best i can. i also kind of over achieve alot, usually i fall flat on my face but when i do what i aimed for its alot better than if id just done something standard and not unique to me

I think the attitude you've got regarding your art and your future are both fantastic. When I was your age I had some similar feelings towards my music and, thanks to plenty of support from those around me, I actually got very far into a musical career. I wound up blowing all of it through a long series of poor decisions and 5 straight years of not touching my trumpet, but I've recently learned that I can still play the horn and all the hard work I put in years ago is still driving me forward whether I want it to or not.

If you just keep up your motivation and have a good structure of support around you (like family, teachers, friends, and the community here at PC), there will be more opportunities for success than failure. I think the most important thing for young artists in any medium to do is avoid self-set limitations. No matter what you may think, there is no piece too difficult and no style too complicated for you to create or learn. As long as you keep that mindset, you're bound to see some real success and gain personal gratification in ways you won't believe.

Years
  • I think the attitude you've got regarding your art and your future are both fantastic. When I was your age I had some similar feelings towards my music and, thanks to plenty of support from those around me, I actually got very far into a musical career. I wound up blowing all of it through a long series of poor decisions and 5 straight years of not touching my trumpet, but I've recently learned that I can still play the horn and all the hard work I put in years ago is still driving me forward whether I want it to or not.

If you just keep up your motivation and have a good structure of support around you (like family, teachers, friends, and the community here at PC), there will be more opportunities for success than failure. I think the most important thing for young artists in any medium to do is avoid self-set limitations. No matter what you may think, there is no piece too difficult and no style too complicated for you to create or learn. As long as you keep that mindset, you're bound to see some real success and gain personal gratification in ways you won't believe.

Thanks for the advice and support, it means alot, arts my passion and i cant see myself doing anything else in my life...

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Like alot of people when they're little, I used to draw things all the time though most of them were never really serious drawing just doodles and such. I drew the typical things any little kid drew: my family, houses, people , animals, though it was all just for fun when I got bored. Right around 4th grade was when I got more serious about drawing. I made a comic named Tome Way about a 10-year old boy obviously also named Tome Way and his family. It was so stupid and awful but you know I was 10/11 and I thought it was funny at the time. I eventually forgot about it. But that comic made me want to improve my drawings more. So I started to learn how to draw more realistic-looking people and such. Soon art was one of my favorite classes and I was considered one of the best artist in my class. Though there were people better than me and so I wanted to improve. My art teacher really helped me alot and soon I was getting better. Fast forward a bit to 2005 when I was in 7th grade. This was around when I learned what anime was and that the Pokemon show itself was an anime. I was just starting to get into anime and watching more shows. One day in October I believe I arrived at school late. Being late was a routine thing around that time and I have been late for school almost everyday since 2nd grade even as I changed to different schools. So I knew what to do. I went to the office to get my usual tardy slip and as a the secretary was writing it up I notice something. There was a photo on her desk of a beach during sunset but some odd was about it. It had a weird blotch near the center that looked like the photo warped at the spot. It made my mind wonder what it could be and made me imagine it being something imaginary. What if it was a time traveler frozen in time and they were there when the picture was taken? This lead to me creating a story around it. During my first class , I came up of a story about a girl who was sent by her parents to time-travel the present in a time machine they invited in order to stop her evil uncle from taking over the world. During her mission, her uncle came along while she was on the beach and frozen her in time. Sometime later she was discovered by a boy who unfrozen her with the device her uncle accidentally left behind. Part of this was thought up later, but I wanted to make characters and such from the get go.Since I was really getting into anime, atm I decided I wanted to draw them in anime-style. However, I didn't know how. So sometime later , I borrowed some books on drawing anime from the library and learned how. My older brother happen to also buy a book on how to draw manga so I also used that. Soon I drew anime more and more and it eventually became a hobby of mine. I began to improve more and more and I became more and more of an artist. In high school I purposely signed up for an art class every year and became even better and then eventually I considered myself an artist.

I would say I'm not as naturally talented as an artist/drawer as other people my age or even younger than me. I mean there's teens who are 14,15,16 years old and they're way better artist than I am, especially at digital art. If I was I would be of been pretty good at drawing from an early age. Instead I had to learn myself or from others. I had self-taught myself to draw anime and adapt my own style. Even if I've gotten much better at it since 4th or 7th grade, I'm still pretty much an amateur and still have lots to learn. I'm still drawing mainly just people and I'm only good at basic poses and views. There's still plenty for me to learn such as how to draw animals , houses, buildings ,backgrounds and lot of other stuff better. Currently , I'm not in college now , but when I finally get into one, I want to take art course there and then I can hopefully learn alot more about drawing and excel. I've been also wanting to make a gallery on PC, however I haven't had the time to. I will get around to it eventually and when I do, people can take a look at my art and critique and give tips on how to improve.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I love drawing so mucha and have been for so many years i love it, and i love drawing pokemon as i know lots about pokemon and i love it so i have a big viriety of pokemon to choose from

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Soon I drew anime more and more and it eventually became a hobby of mine.

I did the same thing! Anime was the perfect conduit for me to draw the things I wanted to, without actually having no know anything about realistic anatomy. This, of course, developed into my own style of anime which is much more westernized and anatomically sound. Problem is, anime never really appealed to me. I've read / watched a bunch, sure, but mostly because my friends at the time were doing it or it had been suggested to me based on my likes or dislikes. But the more I familiarize myself with artists here on PC, the more I realize that anime, as a style of drawing, has played a huge role in their development. So I can definitely identify with what you're saying, Awsquared, and I believe that anime is a great foundation for emerging artists to express themselves and learn the basics or art.

Years
  • I've been drawing since I was a kid but that was for fun and nothing serious (I mean, don't we all draw as kids?). What really got me to want to draw was an artist I idolized back when I was active on Neopets.. she drew such gorgeous soft-shades and shiny pictures that I just had to buy a tablet and get Open Canvas to try some of my own. <3; I'm pretty decent at digital art but definitely can be better.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I believe that anime is a great foundation for emerging artists to express themselves and learn the basics or art.

Though many art teachers out there will say that anime will ruin you (if you start drawing anime eyes, you'll never be able to draw realistic eyes again). I don't agree with that at all. I've seen plenty of artists who have mastered both anime and realism. I think any style, if developed, can evolve into something fantastic and original.

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
    Years
  • Since when are you into art? I've been drawing for as long as I can remember.
    What made you think you should give it a shot? When I was little, I was outshined by all of my siblings. So I was trying to actually get good at something (besides school).
    Was the decision a coincidence? Nope
    Is there any person who inspired you or forced you to get into it? Not really, I just decided to do it myself. Though I have seen various artists around lately which have inspired me and brought me to whole new levels.
    Do you believe you are naturally talented to some degree in your choice of medium? I don't think so - people sometimes say 'you're so talented' but the fact still remains that I would work so hard and it took me 10 years to actually be able to draw the human face, and I can't draw animals very well usually.

Napsy

Tiny Deer
    Years
  • Since when are you into art? I guess I've been "into" it for a while. I never started seriously drawing until I was 13. I'm 18 now.

What made you think you should give it a shot? I just kept seeing pictures of characters and Pokemon on Neopets when I went there, I decided I could probably draw them too.

Was the decision a coincidence? Probably not.

Is there any person who inspired you or forced you to get into it? If you mean my peers, yes.

Do you believe you are naturally talented to some degree in your choice of medium? Maybe. I get really experimental, and I've noticed some people stick to their same style or medium, but I tend to think outside of the box almost every time. I don't know if that's a blessing or a curse sometimes.

Back