• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Sun and Moon brings a Mega-file size

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2017
    I'm quite surprised that S&M games are nearly doubled in size compared to XY! There has to be a lot more content than ORAS and XY, and I'm sure glad that I'm not going to download Moon from eShop because I don't think that my SD card is big enough for it.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Don't forget that it takes up more space for (two) Chinese translations with scripts and translated graphics, in addition to the more detailed graphics.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Not a huge surprise here. But I never download games from the eShop unless they are something like Badge Arcade and I always delete stuff once I am done with them. This is also one reason I buy hard copies and no digital.

They said when it was first leaked last year, that they spent more money on this game than any pokemon game before and it was a large sum of there budget for the entire year.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm really shocked at that size. They are basically double the size of both XY & ORAS! I hope that's a good indication to a higher amount of new Pokemon and maybe some extra post-game content if we're lucky.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Holy frick, that's more than ORAS and XY COMBINED (Edit: Actually, combining XY's and ORAS' size it's .3 gigabytes higher, but nonetheless)!

This game must be huge or we return to another region...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    So we need to get BOTH GAMES in order to get Ash-Greninja? Bye bye A-G lol
    I dont want u so much if it means I have to buy both games, pointless

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    So we need to get BOTH GAMES in order to get Ash-Greninja? Bye bye A-G lol
    I dont want u so much if it means I have to buy both games, pointless

That's ambiguous wording in the article. It means you need to have the same SD card inserted when playing the Special Demo Version and either Sun or Moon for it to read your save game data and receive Ash-Greninja.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    That's pretty big! Glad I've got physical copies. It seems like the games will be packed with content, which is great to see. I'm getting pretty hyped!

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Definitely going to get a physical copy. Was going to anyway, all of my Pokemon games are physical copies actually. Though I'm not sure I'll have enough space to download the demo, I might have to uninstall something if I really want Ash-Greninja.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Definitely going to get a physical copy. Was going to anyway, all of my Pokemon games are physical copies actually. Though I'm not sure I'll have enough space to download the demo, I might have to uninstall something if I really want Ash-Greninja.

Same, I have to delete something because I definitely want Ash-Greninja. Fire Emblem Fates and Smash Bros take up soooo much space...

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Packing a 16GB MicroSD card; so this won't affect my decision too much; though personally I will be aiming for the physical copy if I can manage it. My internet connection is much too slow to download that much; I'd have to make a special trip to McD or another place with an open hotspot to leech it from there and accelerate the download process.

A physical copy won't have that pain point but will require me to actually go to the store and purchase it, which comes with it's own complications. So I may go digital and endure the slow download instead; may take a day or two to download but it will eventually; though I may have to endure a firmware update to do it; and make sure my *hax entrypoints are all still available and usable so I can still maintain my home menu themes and homebrew launcher access.

The Physical copy may not actually have any problems being played on an older firmware; but it may actually be packaged with an update as well, on the cart. The chances of this are much lower however.

I will however be ultra salty if the game won't run on an Old 3DS model. But nothing I've seen in the promotional material has mentioned that they're going to shut the door on older 3DS owners; and it would be a very bad move on their part to do so.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2017
    Packing a 16GB MicroSD card; so this won't affect my decision too much; though personally I will be aiming for the physical copy if I can manage it. My internet connection is much too slow to download that much; I'd have to make a special trip to McD or another place with an open hotspot to leech it from there and accelerate the download process.

A physical copy won't have that pain point but will require me to actually go to the store and purchase it, which comes with it's own complications. So I may go digital and endure the slow download instead; may take a day or two to download but it will eventually; though I may have to endure a firmware update to do it; and make sure my *hax entrypoints are all still available and usable so I can still maintain my home menu themes and homebrew launcher access.

The Physical copy may not actually have any problems being played on an older firmware; but it may actually be packaged with an update as well, on the cart. The chances of this are much lower however.

I will however be ultra salty if the game won't run on an Old 3DS model. But nothing I've seen in the promotional material has mentioned that they're going to shut the door on older 3DS owners; and it would be a very bad move on their part to do so.
    You shouldn't worry about Sun & Moon not running on an Old 3DS model because there is a S&M 2DS bundle.

Back