• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Captain Marvel opens to historic $153M in U.S., $455M globally

Years
  • There was a bit of controversy re: the Rotten Tomatoes score - source
    Within hours of Captain Marvel hitting theaters, roughly 58,000 audience reviews had flooded the critical aggregator site, plummeting the Marvel movie's Audience Score down to 33%. Captain Marvel's Audience Score now sits, at the time this article was published, at 53% with over 35,000 user ratings, while the film's critical Tomatometer score is certified "fresh" at 79%.

58,000 audience reviews hitting within hours of the film's release, as The Hollywood Reporter points out, "is more than the total of audience score reviews for Avengers: Infinity War for its entire theatrical run."

According to Rotten Tomatoes, this inflated initial number was because thousands of those audience reviews were submitted by users before the movie even opened, a functionality the site recently retooled in order to prevent online trolls from "review-bombing" them with fake negative reviews.

It seems Rotten Tomatoes' newly implemented system was immediately beset by technical difficulties.

Have you seen Captain Marvel yet? What did you think?

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Haven't seen it yet (I always wait for the 4K release), but I am very glad to see it doing gangbusters at the box office. The trolls have failed again.

Years
  • I saw it on Thursday night and really enjoyed it :)

I did have one issue:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I went into the movie with no expectations since I'm not a huge fan of superhero movies, but my friends wanted to see it and these films are usually pretty good even if you're not a huge Marvel fan.

I didn't think it was great, but I liked it well enough. Like I said in the "What was the last movie you watched" thread, I don't know if it was Brie Larson's performance or just the way the character was written, but I didn't really love Vers and thought she was quite bland.

Do you know what the reason for the review bombings was, or why there is so much controversy surrounding this film? I'm pretty out of the loop, but like I said, I didn't think it was great or awful, not sure why it's gaining so much attention in particular. I thought maybe people didn't like a titular female superhero or something, but she's certainly not the first, so I'm at a loss here.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Do you know what the reason for the review bombings was, or why there is so much controversy surrounding this film? I'm pretty out of the loop, but like I said, I didn't think it was great or awful, not sure why it's gaining so much attention in particular. I thought maybe people didn't like a titular female superhero or something, but she's certainly not the first, so I'm at a loss here.

Because Brie Larson speaks her mind about political issues, and that upset people on the right, so they got all in a rage and said to boycott Disney and this film and go see Anita instead.

Which will be owned by Disney in about two weeks, so bravo.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I'm waiting to see it until the crowds thin out, and I'm so excited! >u< I actually just recently got "into" the Marvel Cinematic Universe - I loved Guardians 1/2 and Black Panther, so I found myself wanting to see Infinity Wars. I asked my Marvel-obsessed dad if he could figure out which movies I needed to see to understand it, my dad jumped at the challenge with barely restrained glee, he made a list, we crash-coursed it together in the span of a week then went to see Infinity Wars. It was awesome!

Years
  • Outta curiosity, what did you not like?

I personally thought the plot was quite bog-standard action film with super powers. It felt like the CGI was the main focus and the story itself was an afterthought. Not that I don't like CGI but if that is the main (only) thing the movie has going for it I'm not going to like it.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Saw it today - I'm not very objective about things like this, but I thought it was good! Not my favorite Marvel movie, but befitting the standard set by Marvel movies in general. I admit, I liked the moments of humor most of all - I mean, come on, young {Spoilers Omitted By EmTheGhost} fawning over a kitty!! >w< Hilarious.

Spoiler:

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I watched this last week and really enjoyed it! I thought the chemistry between Carol and Fury was great, heaps of energy between those two.

Spoiler:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Saw it last week. I enjoyed it overall. Not my most favourite but better than other Marvel offerings, e.g. Dr Strange, imo. CGI was a bit iffy at times, and the last part (say 20 or so minutes) felt rushed and too action-scene-for-the-sake-of it for my liking. I liked the soundtrack and Fury was great.

Back