• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remembering Type Matchups

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    How good are you at remembering all the type matchups? Consists of 18 * 18 = 324 single type-on-type possibilities. Do you remember them all flawlessly and effortlessly? Do you know them, but take a few moments on some? Are certain types tough for you to remember? Do any generation changes trip you up?

For reference: Type Charts on Bulbapedia.

Fares pretty well on them. Handles common ones like Normal, Fire, and Water alright. Tends to be shaky on Bug's and Poison's offenses.

Recalls some matchups thanks to specific Pokemon. (See: Ground against Bug. Knows Scizor's only weakness is Fire. Takes super-effective damage on the Steel side. Must resist Ground with the Bug side.) Spends a few moments on Grass's defenses sometimes, as a result. Paired Grass and Poison together a ton in Generation 1. Tainted those defensive matchups forever.

Forgets most of the old matchup changes. Remembers Steel no longer resisting Ghost. Blames Aegislash for that (right or wrong). Not much else besides that, though.

Days
  • I don't know about flawlessly - who hasn't accidentally tried using, for instance, a Normal or Fighting-type move on a Ghost Pokemon before remembering that no, that Pokemon is a Ghost type, you shouldn't have done that? But I do have all the type matchups committed to memory alongside a lot of otherwise useless information about Pokemon that has been drilled into my skull over the last two and a half decades of playing the games, buying the very expensive merchandise, and being told by the anime that water conducts electricity. Sometimes my brain goes on autopilot and I forget a few exceptions to the rule (i.e. Eelektross having Levitate and being immune to Ground despite being an Electric type) before I catch up though.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I remember most of them, actually. The other day, I thought about all the type matchups with my eyes closed before looking up the type in questions and remembered most of the weaknesses, but I don't remember every single one. Like, I definitely didn't remember Rock was strong against ice because my brain thought it was the other way around.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I believe I'm great at type matchups, probably because I might actually be insane for studying Pokémon type matchups like they're college courses. Not only have I studied type matchups, but I've also calculated I calculated and sorted the percentages that every possible type-combination can hit Pokémon super effectively with STAB. This, combined with pretty much having to know type matchups well when playing competitively, made me something like an expert at it. I've reached a point where I can literally just glance at a team and instantly see everything that it's weak to without even trying.

Years
  • I just focused on super effectiveness and resistances and ignored memorizing all the neutral stuff as you can put those together if you know the former.
    I know most of them that way.

Couple of very persistent mistakes though:
    -I keep thinking Poison should be super-effective on Bug types, but it's neutral.
    -Dragon resisting Electric.
    -I keep forgetting Fire resist Fairy.
    -Looking at that type chart I actually never realized Fairy resisted Bug lol

Not a mistake anymore, but since Water resists Ice I've always felt like it should be mutual and Ice should resist Water as well.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't remember ever trying to memorize type match-ups, it just happened naturally over time after so many playthroughs.

Last mistake I remember was having the idea that Rock resists Bug. Well, Bug all around may have been my latest type to memorize, probably due to Bug type moves not being used or seen so often.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I don't remember ever trying to memorize type match-ups, it just happened naturally over time after so many playthroughs.

Last mistake I remember was having the idea that Rock resists Bug. Well, Bug all around may have been my latest type to memorize, probably due to Bug type moves not being used or seen so often.

Exactly this, I just gradually became cognizant of type matchups through experimentation and through playing Pokémon. I remember initially thinking that Grass was weak to Psychic, as I failed to realize that the Budew line was Poison type as well.

Now, having been a Pokémon fan for the vast majority of my 22 years of living, I can admit that I'm still unsure of the types that Steel resists, as I know it's changed. I always incorrectly assume that Steel resists Electric and Ghost types.

Years
  • Not flawlessly but mostly because of fairy types. Really goes to show how well kids can absorb things - I remember the original types almost perfectly, but fairy types still confuse me sometimes to this day. I know they're weak to steel and poison, but for some reason I keep mistakenly thinking they're weak to fire too. -sweats- Once in a while I forget rock weaknesses also since I sometimes confuse them for being the same as ground's.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Not flawlessly but mostly because of fairy types. Really goes to show how well kids can absorb things - I remember the original types almost perfectly, but fairy types still confuse me sometimes to this day. I know they're weak to steel and poison, but for some reason I keep mistakenly thinking they're weak to fire too. -sweats- Once in a while I forget rock weaknesses also since I sometimes confuse them for being the same as ground's.

That's likely because Fire resists Fairy. Also, yes, Rock and Ground are very similar types.

Years
  • i know all of the super effective matchups like the back of my hand. i know a lot of noneffective matchups too. occasionally i'll trip up and misremember something, but i learn it quickly afterwards

i uh play too much pokemon lmao

Back