• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Coding: Why?

Years
  • If you code and program, what got you into it?

If you don't code but want to learn it, why do you want to get into it?

If you've resolved you will never be a coder, why did you come to that conclusion?

I started coding seriously 8 months ago. I had done html/css before then in middle school, but I found a lovely mentor in my friend and she helped teach me the basic logic for code. It was kind of just a fun hobby, but I started to get the same joy from creating stuff as I had done when I started art, and it was more intractable and useful to boot. It's currently taking over and changing the course of my life, and honestly I keep doing it because it's rewarding.

Years
  • If you don't code but want to learn it, why do you want to get into it?

Sometimes I have ideas in my head that nobody else does. However, since I am not a programmer either by profession or hobby, it can be difficult to make said ideas come into fruition.

Yvtq8K3n

muhaha
    Years
  • Sorry i had to do it:D
    6s8yeenm3a401.jpg

Hehe, thats always funny. Give one for free too:)
    P3na0pe

P3na0pe.jpg

Last edited:

Yvtq8K3n

muhaha
    Years
  • I guess HTML is where a lot of coders start but I'd argue that HTML is a markup language versus a coding language

Hehehe, that just a funny meme. Was about to give my feedback. So why did i start programing? I always felt curiose about how the heck things work, i always admire how could the human be capable of built such amazing things like a computer. To me and a few other dudes programming/science is our worlds magic in the palm of your hand and who doesnt want to be a wizard, anyway?

I also enjoy challenges wich I a have a ton by being a programmer. So yes, programming is fun, but its also a powerful tool. I wouldnt recomend right of the bat starting whit javascript+html+css myself.

I think either python(easy way) or c(rambony way) would be a better bet. Javascript+HTML+CSS even though easy, lacks alot of concepts that are kind important to grasp.

Last edited:

S-MAN

Banned
    Years
  • Hehehe, that just a funny meme. Was about to give my feedback. So why did i start programing? I always felt curiose about how the heck things work, i always admire how could the human be capable of built such amazing things like a computer. To me and a few other dudes programming/science is our worlds magic in the palm of your hand and who doesnt want to be a wizard, anyway?

I also enjoy challenges wich I a have a ton by being a programmer. So yes, programming is fun, but its also be a powerful tool.

Would have been funnier if you added all the other web languages.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I started getting into coding through working on my ROM hacking projects and it's become a massive hobby. I'm by no means a good coder just yet, but I like to think I'm getting there =)

Years
  • There was AP Comp Sci in HS I refused to take, then didn't take a single CS class in college...regretting that now. But fangaming has taught me Ruby and I think I'm decent. Learning JS and C++ on my own time right now.

Years
  • If you don't code but want to learn it, why do you want to get into it?

To be honest, I've always wanted to program as a way to learn the ins and outs of how a computer "speaks", it's "languages", so on and so fourth. Broadly speaking, programming is basically bonus knowledge when it comes to my goal of going into cybersec, so I intend to learn it either way so that my career options remain as open as possible.

Sadly, the lack of time to dedicate to the such is a massive issue.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    If you code and program, what got you into it?

I was actually just following my friend to choose computer science as major at university, so I have to learn programming, but turns out I like it a lot.

Years
  • If you code and program, what got you into it?
    - the fact that i didnt want to do art for a living (its a competitive world) and that computers were the only thing that interested me. also i had the top tier mind that if i learn how to code i can technically draw then ill be a one man game dev. haha
    - next thing i know i learned about deep learning and artificial intelligence and i am hooked on it and now i'm learning more things about c++/boost from my job that i didn't dive into at uni and as much of a headache it gives its so satisfying when you finally understand and use that logic in creating something
    - also it is good cash flow

If you don't code but want to learn it, why do you want to get into it?
    - i wanted to get into the languages i dont know to be able to make something i wanted to make
    - its a painful circle of life

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'm just a masochist and like smashing my head against a wall. So, one thing lead to the other.

Years
    • Seen today
    If you code and program, what got you into it?
    It actually started back when I was trying to do ROM hacking. I always wanted to do more than binary hacks permitted, but didn't really have the drive. I tried coding Wii homebrew but didn't understand concepts of coding, and kinda just stopped. A few years later I was picking classes in High School and the counsellor suggested I try the programming course, and me finding that it looked fun as it was something I always wanted to try, I enrolled in the course.

And it kinda... went from there.

Same. Love writing some good spaghetti and then staring at it endlessly.
    I've written some REALLY BAD CODE before and I really want to redo it but I might have to do it from scratch. It'd be a fun project though if I could finish it!

Last edited:
    Back