• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

March Maaaadness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucid

The last pope was quite progressive. He promoted science, tolerance and the progression of the catholic church into modern times. The pope before him was renowned for his kindness. Just because a handful of priest are backwards doesn't mean that the religion is intolerant.

Years
Maybe, but the church as a whole is a mixed bag of okay stuff and dated ideas. I'd just like them to be more good than whatever good they may be doing.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I hope whoever the pope is they're more tolerant of gay people and just more progressive in general. You know, more in touch with the 21st century.

Given that it's, y'know, the Catholic faith, I don't think you'll be very surprised with the new guy's views. Peter Turkson is the best bet in that area, he's always liked to make the distinction between moral issues and human rights. He's up there as a pretty progressive cardinal, though given that he's also pretty young for a cardinal (64) it's unlikely that he'll be elected.

Lucid

Just because it's the most fanatical representatives that the media choses to show doesn't mean their an accurate rep for that religions values. That's like saying all muslims are terrorist.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Just because it's the most fanatical representatives that the media choses to show doesn't mean their an accurate rep for that religions values. That's like saying all muslims are terrorist.
True, but it is a pretty strict religion as far as certain things go, and those in control are the ones that push things to be stricter than they should be, so adequate change isn't something a lot of people expect. Which is why, as cool as someone like Turkson is, his election isn't very realistic because he'd actually drive a lot of change, or try to.

That said, new pope totally has my name and then my brother's name.

Lucid

True, but it is a pretty strict religion as far as certain things go, and those in control are the ones that push things to be stricter than they should be, so adequate change isn't something a lot of people expect. Which is why, as cool as someone like Turkson is, his election isn't very realistic because he'd actually drive a lot of change, or try to.

That said, new pope totally has my name and then my brother's name.

The catholic priest I've met and known have been kind and fairly moderate men, so I hate when people think of the catholic church as a dark aged, condemning, child molesting hoopla. A few terrible people give a bad name to the rest. It can be strict in some aspects but not terribly so. ;/

Years
I've met one or two priests and they were nice people, but it's the church's stance on things that bothers me, not the people particularly (any more than people in general anyway).

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Personally, I'd like them to work more on the child sexual abuse that's happened still... it's just too much of an issue to ignore.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I've met some nice priests as well, but their views are still pretty strict. A lot of them are nice people, but they still hold some austere views. Like, this new guy seems to think adoption of children by gays is a form of discrimination against children? Though I'll expect some of his views to be blown out of proportion in the coming days.

Lucid

I've met one or two priests and they were nice people, but it's the church's stance on things that bothers me, not the people particularly (any more than people in general anyway).

The priest sorta make the church in the catholic faith. Most major religions have the same stance.

As for the sexual abuse scandals,they absolutely need to crack down on them. and they went on and on about the last pope being a nazi youth... They find dirt on everyone.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Yeah, that was one of those "hey, let's blow this the heck out of proportion!" moments. The media came so close to making him being the "Nazi Pope" be what he's remembered for.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Actually, let's just start talking about something else! I'm getting to leave work right now, woo! That feeling when you get off work is wonderful... sometimes. ;)

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Actually, let's just start talking about something else! I'm getting to leave work right now, woo! That feeling when you get off work is wonderful... sometimes. ;)
In 7 years, I'll be like you. Working in a gaming company will never tire me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back