• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sen. Cory Booker announces 2020 presidential campaign

Years
  • https://www.npr.org/2019/02/01/6765...it-official-hes-running-for-president-in-2020

He's definitely a strong candidate for the democratic ticket. If you remember, he was the senator who threatened to release confidential documents about Brett Kavanaugh before confirmation hearings while understanding it risked ousting him from the senate.

This is going to be a fun election cycle, and I really look forward to see who else runs.

Years
  • I really used to like Senator Booker, he seemed like a really good man who worked hard to help people in trouble when he was a mayor. Then it started coming out that some of the stuff was fake, and then the whole thing with the memo, trying to say he was some "Spartacus" hero when the memo was already cleared for release, not to mention the over melodramatic crying. It's gotten kind of sad.

Years
  • Let the games begin! So many democrats are in Elizabeth Warren, Tulsi Gabbard, Kamala Harris, several others, and now Booker. This will be fun to watch. I'll be viewing those debates.

I haven't commited to anyone yet in the primary, but would vote for Booker over Trump no question in the general. I will say also that Cory Booker is quite a speaker.

Years
  • I'm honestly happy to see more democrats rallying for the presidential nomination this go around, which was something that overwhelmingly lacked from 2016.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't know that much about Booker, but he does seem like a pretty strong contender. I think though that his openness to working across the aisle could go either way with voters who will be either looking for an end to the overly partisan politics of the Obama and Trump years or extremely weary of working with the Republicans after the fiasco that is Trump.

For me personally, I do like a lot of his positions and his willingness to part with finances on moral grounds. That being said, something feels off. He feels like a showman playing the crowd to me and that's a bit concerning.

Overall, if it were up to me (which clearly it isn't lol), I'd take Booker - or any of the Democratic nominees so far frankly - over Trump getting another four years to cause chaos but as it stands Elizabeth Warren is probably my favourite of the group.

Years
  • I'm hoping Hilary Clinton stays out of it honestly big time and I was disappointed by the lack of action against Bill Clinton who violated the law and campaigned at polling sites during the primaries and I know this because I got multiple emails regarding this matter.

Though I would also love a dem who will try to push for term limits on the house and senate because I'm seeing a lot of people wanting this on news sites.

Years
  • I'm hoping Hilary Clinton stays out of it honestly big time and I was disappointed by the lack of action against Bill Clinton who violated the law and campaigned at polling sites during the primaries and I know this because I got multiple emails regarding this matter.

Though I would also love a dem who will try to push for term limits on the house and senate because I'm seeing a lot of people wanting this on news sites.

Hillary has been pretty open about not planning to run.

Years

I hear you. The 2016 democratic primaries were full of corruption, and Bill Clinton actually campaigning outside of the Massachusetts polling station is just one example.

Because the Clintons waged such a dirty campaign (as they did also in 2008 against Barack Obama) frankly it was hard to generate enthusiasm for Hillary as a candidate in the general. There was just a trainwreck of baggage from the Clinton campaign, from receiving questions to the debates in advance from Donna Brazile, to making Debbie Wasserman Shultz the honorary chair after she was forced to step down in disgrace from the DNC.

I am against Trump emphatically, but Hillary is also an unfit candidate. And I don't want her to make a third presidential run, because I think she would lose again. She is incredibly damaged.

I'm pretty sure that we will be spared another travesty. Her former campaign chair Podesta said on her behalf more or less that she wasn't running.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...9/01/30/hillary-clinton-2020-election-1136435

Some of Hillary's previous donors are also backing Kamala Harris' presidential run, so I think the insiders know that Hillary won't be coming back from the dead again.

Last edited:

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Some of Hillary's previous donors are also backing Kamala Harris' presidential run, so I think the insiders know that Hillary won't be coming back from the dead again.

This is the biggest thing to note - out of anyone who has announced their campaign, Harris is the most similar to Clinton in terms of record and friendliness to establishment politicians/those who favour the establishment, and as such, she's gotten the most support from media and big donors alike. She's the heir to the Democrat plan for regaining the White House, so Clinton likely knows to stay away now.

Years
  • This is the biggest thing to note - out of anyone who has announced their campaign, Harris is the most similar to Clinton in terms of record and friendliness to establishment politicians/those who favour the establishment, and as such, she's gotten the most support from media and big donors alike. She's the heir to the Democrat plan for regaining the White House, so Clinton likely knows to stay away now.

I really hope they don't push her through like they did with Clinton though. All th media coverage in the world won't help Clinton 2.0 gain traction with the US public.

Years
  • Gonna get this out of the way first:

As much as many progressives many want to see Bernie smoke the competition (if he even decides to run), I cannot help but feel that he's going to have a lot of difficulty trying to connect with black/hispanic/minority voters. Which curiously enough seems to be the same issue had back in 2016, which led to him being destroyed in the south by Clinton.

I feel that he's going to need to do a lot more than appeal to the young college student/millenial demographic to make any sort of big splash, especially when there are other strong contenders like Harris and Booker in the race. Kirsten Gillibrand also being in the race means that Bernie is also going to be a tough sell to the white soccer mom vote, although how much that really matters, I'm not sure yet. I don't have any statistics on me that shows the general makeup of most dem voters and how many of them are women, but if this CNN article about the midterms is of any indication, it's not an insignificant amount.

Although far more pressing is whether or not one could earn the vote of rust belt/blue collar workers that went for Trump.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I really hope they don't push her through like they did with Clinton though. All the media coverage in the world won't help Clinton 2.0 gain traction with the US public.

I think the likeliest scenario is the Dems falling back on the Biden + Beto 2020, especially as Beto has rapidly shed any veil of defiant progressivism and is glad to fall in line. However, if Biden doesn't get off the ground, then the Dems will definitely push for Harris by any means possible. That'll likely mean pulling out all the stops in the manner we saw with Hillary and Sanders, and if Sanders runs again, it'll definitely become a situation of 'He's misogynist because he didn't just let Hillary/Kamala do their thing!' and the usual smokescreens. However - Kamala Harris, while still similar to Hillary, is a different cog in the machine. She's more of a Clinton 1.5 - 'fuck you, I got mine' policy, but with far less 'gotcha' moments for the opposition to hang on. Her record isn't as publicly well-known like Hillary's was, and it'll be a lot harder to pounce on Harris for ratings goldmines like her emails or Benghazi and shit, so the Dems will probably appear to be cleaner based on how it won't be as obvious they're pushing shit uphill.

Not to mention that uh, y'know, many major contenders on the Democratic side (and the Republican opposition uniting behind Trump) will not genuinely disagree with her stance on the prison pipeline. That is to say, the belief that there shouldn't be any clogging of the taps whatsoever.

Booker included.

Years
  • Gonna get this out of the way first:

As much as many progressives many want to see Bernie smoke the competition (if he even decides to run), I cannot help but feel that he's going to have a lot of difficulty trying to connect with black/hispanic/minority voters. Which curiously enough seems to be the same issue had back in 2016, which led to him being destroyed in the south by Clinton.

I feel that he's going to need to do a lot more than appeal to the young college student/millenial demographic to make any sort of big splash, especially when there are other strong contenders like Harris and Booker in the race. Kirsten Gillibrand also being in the race means that Bernie is also going to be a tough sell to the white soccer mom vote, although how much that really matters, I'm not sure yet. I don't have any statistics on me that shows the general makeup of most dem voters and how many of them are women, but if this CNN article about the midterms is of any indication, it's not an insignificant amount.

Although far more pressing is whether or not one could earn the vote of rust belt/blue collar workers that went for Trump.

I might vote for Tulsi Gabbard this time around as the successor to Bernie Sanders because of her young age, and because she has embraced Bernie Sanders and I think she will also keep us out of unnecessary wars. However, I haven't taken Bernie off of the table, and did vote for him in the primaries. He connected with me and I am a black/ hispanic/ minority voter. I had many family members, classmates and friends who voted for him as well. It is worth noting that Bernie carried Hawaii and Alaska in the primaries, which have a large population of minority voters. The Asian population outnumbers caucasian voters in Hawaii 2 to 1. It was also a pretty close race in New Mexico between Clinton and Sanders, a state where half of the population is Latino.

I say the following because while Bernie was much more successful in the midwest, russ belt and with independent voters than Hillary, it would seem he does possess at least the potential to connect with minority voters.

I don't think the south is necessarily a complete portrait of Bernie Sanders relationship with minorities, as this reflects one of the most conservative parts of the country. Hillary is a former republican, and I think this is reflected in many of her positions. She supports the death penalty, lobbied for the crime bill as first lady, is a war hawk, did not get on board with support of marriage equality until 2013, and embraced some conservative economic policies such as the Graham Leach Bliley act. She had inherently more in common with southern democratic voters, particularly older voters, both black and white.

While Hillary received most of the African-American support in these areas, bear in mind that these are going to be frequently conservative, church-going people, rather than the Keith Ellisons or Nina Turners of the party, African-Americans politicians who did indeed endorse Bernie.

While in the general election believe that many African-Americans would have supported Sanders over Trump, because African-Americans still vote largely democrat as many polls and studies show, it is not surprisingly that in the south the more moderate candidate would have performed better, and not neccesarily an indicator that Bernie can't pick up minority voters.

Unfortunately, for us as democrats or left-leaning voters when those deep red states like South Carolina that Hillary did so well in during the primary have to choose between a conversative democratic and a republican, the region as a whole is so conservative it will almost always veer further right and just vote republican, which is what we saw in the general presidential election in 2016 with Hillary was destroyed Donald Trump in the south.

I also wish to add that Bernie Sanders did have some vocal African-American and Latino supporters, actors, directors, comedians, singers, writers, activists, Spike Lee, George Lopez, Danny Glover, Cornel West, Killer Mike, Rosario Dawson, Zoe Kravitz, Ben Jealous. However they were hardly given media coverage, because it did not fit the narrative that Bernie had no support from minorities. I believe that Bernie was also an inspiration to a then young and unknown Alexandria Ocasio Cortez who helped manage his campaign in the Bronx.

Ultimately there was a larger political strategy to present Bernie Sanders as a candidate that only represented white people, which the current DNC chair Tom Perez advised the Clinton campaign to use.

This was so ironic because Hillary was the one with the spotty record on civil rights and racial inequality. African-American writer and activist Michelle Alexander (who also endorsed the Bernie Sanders revolution) wrote a book on this called, 'The New Jim Crow: Why Hillary Clinton Doesn't Deserve the Black Vote.'

Yet the Clinton campaign was very good at projecting their own shortcomings onto their opponent, and to some extent this worked against Bernie Sanders. It should have been no question which candidate had the better record of helping minorities. It was Hillary's state department not Bernie's that granted waivers to arm child soldiers in the Sudan. It was Hillary who referred to young African-American males as "super-predators" as first lady. It was her husband's adminstration that didn't act fast enough to contain the genocide in Rwanda. It was not Bernie but Hillary who voted along with Bush for the invasion of Iraq as senator. It was Hillary who argued the people of Haiti down to a slave minimum wage of 32 cents an hour as secretary of state. It was she who devestated Latin America with her policies towards Columbia and Honduras in particular. Yet it was Sanders who was put on the defensive about whether he could represent minorities, not unlike George W Bush painted John Kerry as a coward on military issues, despite Kerry being a decorated veteran and Bush being a draft dodger.

While again, I haven't pledged my support for sure to Sanders should he run next year, I would like to think that if he runs again now that he has received more media coverage people would be better acquainted with him as an ally for people of color, and he could potentially get higher shares of multicultural voters. He was a candidate that many people of all colors, black, white, red, yellow were still learning about in 2016. While Hillary Clinton's record is much more tarnished than many realize when viewed in depth, Bernie's history stands up very well to scrutiny. He marched with Dr. Martin Luther King, called for the end of the private prison system and restoration of the voting rights act, went to Standing Rock to support Native Americans in their hour of need and has pushed back against Trump's immigration policies. The only thing that I am aware of that he ever made a mistake on is voting along with Clinton crime bill, but by in large he's a very good candidate for racial justice and human rights.

Years

• As an black/hispanic voter myself, I see things differently. Bernie does not connect with me, nor do I see him (at least, so far?) making any real effort to (I mean, he's an old white guy in his 70s, can he really identify with us? I struggle to see how). But that's neither here nor there. I feel that there's an important thing that needs to be distinguished as far as American politics go: candidates that would do well in a primary, and candidates that would do well in a general. Say what you will of Bernie, but he's not exactly the greatest primary candidate. One could pull the "DNC rigged the primaries!!" election all they'd like, but at the end of the day, it was us voters who picked Hillary over Bernie, sometimes with significant margins. The DNC may or may not have tipped the scale, but it was us voters who went to the polls and chose Hillary over Bernie in most of the country, simply because Bernie, while an effective communicator and extremely gifted at holding impressively-sized rallies, didn't bring about the same kind of message that Hillary brought on the trail which was basically being a third time Obama.

Something to keep in mind is that Bernie already shot himself in the foot -- during the primaries, he definitely made certain of making the DNC his enemy and set the Democratic Party basically on fire -- which therefore killed his support among loyal democrats (meaning the people who have been with the party for years upon years). This whole "I'm running as a Democrat but I'm not really a Democrat" didn't do great in the primaries, and in a congested race like this, it's even more risky for him to pull that same strategy.

I do want to make this clear, however: Hillary was a bad candidate pretty much because of her godawful record. She's a good primary candidate in the sense that she can win the groups she needs to, and she knows how to make an effective play for the center to win over centrists and perhaps moderate Republicans. Unfortunately, the skeletons in her closet followed her all throughout the campaign trail and up until James Comey condemned her actions publicly, all but basically ensuring her loss. She lost trust and as far as most people were concerned, she was just another shady politician compared to an "outsider" like Trump. Not to mention she does come across as inauthentic.

Unfortunately, how American politics go is that you have to win black/hispanic voters to win the primary. Bernie failed to do that in 2016 (heck look at the exit polls in places like florida where ilke a quarter of the state is hispanic) which would essentially become his achilles' heel -- if you can't speak directly to black voters, you aren't going to win.

I feel like last year's AP article about it is a perfect illustration on Bernie's difficult path on winning black voters back -- this part is especially striking:

"If all I hear about is 'the working class,' and it seems he's talking to just one segment, then it's easy to feel he's not talking to me," said Williams, the Georgia Democrat, explaining that she cannot "separate my blackness" from where she fits in the economy.

Anyway, that out of the way, I personally have not committed to anyone yet. I'd much rather wait until the debates are underway to see who would make more of a strong case. From preliminary media coverage as well as general impressions, it seems like Kamala Harris is the favourite, but I have my own reservations about her. We'll see.

Years
  • Maybe I am showing my age here, but Bernie Sanders reminds me of a left wing version of Ron Paul. He gets alot of young people excited, his ideas are a bit outside the main stream of the party, and in the end he gets about 25% of the vote in a large primary.

Which of course brings me to the question as to what will be the theme for this election. If it's the economy then it certainly benefits Trump at this moment, and would hurt someone like Bernie Sanders as people would be less likely to change course with a booming economy.

Possibly wage issues? Medicare for all? Both seem to be particularly dangerous issues to run on, especially medicare for all.

I do agree with colours in that Kamala Harris seems to be the favorite at the moment, maybe that will change if Biden gets in, however his window seems to be closing pretty fast if he does not step in soon.

Years
  • I met Vice President Biden a few months ago at a political rally, and he definitely still has the power in him to speak well to an audience and rally them up. I'd vote for him in a heartbeat if he ran, tbh.

Years
  • I met Vice President Biden a few months ago at a political rally, and he definitely still has the power in him to speak well to an audience and rally them up. I'd vote for him in a heartbeat if he ran, tbh.

He does have a down to earth feel, however he does, like Trump, have a habit of saying stupid and racially insensitive things on the campaign trail, for example.

"In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking."

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."

"[Romney] said in the first hundred days, he's going to let the big banks write their own rules — unchain Wall Street. They're going to put y'all back in chains,"

The last one being when speaking to a black audience.

It remains to be seen if he can avoid such gaffs on the campaign trail and if the Democrats will be as tolerable of such comments as Republicans were from Trump.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Upon reflection to a discussion I had with some members on here a while ago, I think that Joe Biden's reputation as being physically handsy to the point of uncomfortability, and a habit of breaking personal boundaries and coming off as creepy, is going to be what does him in. There's going to be an explosion of some kind that will sink his ship, so upon reflecting, I agree with the consensus that Kamala is being considered the favourite for the future.

Repercussions for such things only apply to the Democrats (sometimes), as we all know.

Years
  • from Angie :)

Interesting! You said several different things that I felt were too important not to discuss in detail. I ate, drank and breathed politics during the 2016 and have a lot of passion about that cycle, so sit back and pass the popcorn, this is going to be a long one.

You mentioned that Bernie did not appeal to you personally, and I just want to say this is fine if you don't feel the bern. It is your right to vote for who you feel best represents you. However, when you say that you don't see him making an effort to appeal to you, I would like to know what specifically you would want him to do differently. Appeal can be a very subjective quality, and message a a rather abstract concept. Is there a concrete action you saw from Hillary that made you more comfortable voting for her as a minority?

We are it seems in agreement at least that Hillary Clinton was a horrible candidate with one of the worst records out there, and I am glad that is an area where we have some common ground as sisters. However, let's take a moment to just sit back, and let that absorb. Her record was indeed atrocious. One of the most disturbing features of her record was the effect she and her husband had on the lives of minorities. Since you shared an AP article on how one black voter felt. I wanted to share an article from The Nation about the history of the Clinton family policy to black people.

https://www.thenation.com/article/hillary-clinton-does-not-deserve-black-peoples-votes/

Ultimately if Hillary's record is this severely damaged then what does this effectively leave us with as her appeal to minorities? While in Bernie Sanders I saw policy, with Hillary all I saw were platitudes, and I don't see how that would be a more effective appeal to any group.

Hillary walked around with hot sauce in her pocket and did some dancing, Bill Clinton sang the black national anthem and had some offices in Harlem, but I fail to see how they offered any substantive message to minorities, and certainly not one that was stronger than Bernie Sanders. I think the voters that Hillary got had more to do with familiarity and identity politics rather than a tangible message to minorities or anyone for that matter.

You linked me to a quote by a voter who said, "If all I hear about is 'the working class,' and it seems he's talking to just one segment, then it's easy to feel he's not talking to me."

I want to respond to that by sharing that I volunteered for Bernie Sanders campaign in 2016, and walked up and down the streets passing out literature in neighborhoods filled with my brothers and sisters. The amount of economic disadvantage I saw was very sad. It was a lonely walk, but along the way I did meet people who were interested in minimum wage increases, getting healthcare, schooling and having their social security expanded. Others felt that there was no point in voting, that they would be inevitably left behind no matter who was in office. Often I visited homes and nobody was there, everyone was out working late shifts. Sometimes they were completely empty houses that were foreclosed on or scheduled for demolition.

Whether the lady from Georgia you quoted falls into this category or not, the reality is that unfortunately many African-Americans and Hispanics do earn lower wages, and there is a higher poverty rate for us. There was a message for people who look like you and me within his campaign.

We need to look at what our representatives can do for us in terms of policy. That is the way that we make progress for minorities. Economic justice is a relevant issue to our communities, one that was not close to the heart of the Clintons-- who took jobs out of the community via NAFTA, and would have continued to do so with the TPP, meanwhile gutting welfare and locking up people for petty crimes they committed. The few good policies that Hillary had were tacked on only Bernie was in the race

Bernie was against the war on drugs and against the death penalty, policies which disproportionately punished minorities and the disadvantaged, as well as policies that received Clinton support. He also has condemned the wars that ripped apart many non-western countries throughout the middle east, Asia and South America. Other ways in which he is a champion for people who are different than him would be his progressive record on gay rights. He voted against Bill Clinton's Defense of Marriage Act/ DOMA, and defended gay soldiers in the military at a time where Don't Ask Don't Tell was in effect.

I think to characterize Sanders as only appealing to one demographic misconstrues his intent. Human and civil rights were a central part of his campaign. What Bernie Sanders believes is that economic reform is a method by which we can obtain equality, an example of this is when he called for an end to the private prison system to effectively stop slave labor.

Attacking greed is a means to an end with Bernie. Now we can agree or disagree about whether or not his ideas would work, but to say that Bernie did not have a message for minorities is I think not true.

You mention that Bernie was an old, white man, and asked if he could really identify with us. Yes, he can. I am sad to say that Bernie's family perished in the holocaust because of their Jewish background. He has personal experience living among the world's marginalized groups, that I cannot say for Hillary Clinton.

The ultimate demonstration that Bernie Sanders identifies with people of color is that he doesn't just talk about them, but put himself in physical danger to march with Dr. Martin Luther King for civil rights at time where people were being shot, mauled by police dogs, arrested and lynched for standing up to demand justice for all. He was also a member of ths Rainbow Coalition. He went to Standing Rock as well when our Native American brother and sisters endured waves of tear gas, were attacked by dogs, had eyes put out and their bones broken for protecting the piprline on their reservation.

Martin Luther King's dream was to live in a nation where people grow up judged "not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

The statement above applies to all of us. Just because Bernie physically does not look like you or me, does not mean that he is disconnected from our experiences. It should not matter what color Bernie is, or how old he is or if he is a man or woman. Age, color, gender, sexual orientation and religion must come after the policy.

Kamala Harris is a young woman of African and Indian descent, yet do I see her as a stronger ally for women and people of color than Bernie is? No. At this time I feel her prosecutorial record reflects less empathy for minorities and women than Bernie Sanders does. I say this because she opposed a bill that would have allowed every cop shooting to be investigated by an independent party and force them to wear body cams.

An area of concern for many African-American and Hispanic people is the possibility that they may suffer police brutality. My own father was arrested and assaulted by the police as a teen for his race, so this is a significant issue to me.

Kamala Harris also caved on the death penalty despite the numbers of black, Hispanic and poor whites who have been wrongfully convicted and sent to death row and later released. She presents herself as fighting against human trafficking, but the truth is that she jailed the women for working in the sex industy.

I understand and respect that you have not pledged support for Harris or any candidate as of yet, and I am in the same place. However, it is worth talking about Kamala Harris just as a reminder that being a woman or having a particular heritage does tot necessarily mean that someone will identify with you, and certainly not relevant to how one will govern. We cannot judge a book by its cover.

I think the only way to identify the content of one's character is not race, age or gender, but to examine a representative's voting record. And at the center of both Bernie's message and record what I saw was fairness and justice. If the positions he espouses and his record are not sufficient to show his support for minorities then I don't know what would be.

I realize also that you have a larger point, and that this is not meant to be solely a discussion about minorities, but that a candidate for the general is not necessarily a good primary candidate, and vice versa. Ultimately you don't think Bernie you can connect with enough people to get beyond the primaries, and minorities are a representation of this. You defined his candidacy as appealing to the military and young people.

However, I think we should not underestimate Bernie's potential to connect with a significant number of people. As you acknowledge, Bernie pulled huge crowds that far exceeded the size of Hillary Clinton's, and had more small donation contributors than Hillary.

I disagree that Hillary had more support from centrists and moderate Republicans overall. It would seem contradictory because Bernie also had the progressive wing of the party that Hillary lacked. However, Bernie had a tendency to do far better than expected when democratic primaries were open as oppsed to closed or semi-closed, meaning these were circumstances in which independent and Republicans voters had the ability to crossover and make their voice heard. An famous example being in the Michigan democratic primary, when Bernie defeated Hillary despite polling 20% behind initially and one of the factors is that he took over 70% of independent voters in this Rust Belt state.

While this an older article as well, I think it offers fascinating look into how Bernie potentially captures votes across opposite ends of the political spectrum while mantaining democratic socialist policies.
    https://www.commondreams.org/views/...g-numbers-republicans-vote-bernie-sanders?amp

Bernie had a wider coalition than he is given credit for, voters in the north, the west, middle, young voters, independents, progressive voters, low-income and high. His campaign had a lot of promise, but unfortunately we did not witness a fair primary in 2016, and his campaign was derailed by the establishment.

I had not wanted to go there, but since you mentioned that Bernie voters pull a card of thr primary being rigged, I want to clarify that it is not a controversial statement that the primary was rigged against Bernie Sanders.

Under the circumstances of a rigged primary it is not possible for you nor I to talk with 100% confidence about how the results of the primary reflect the country as a whole and what most people really want.

The DNC was part of countless illicit activities during the 2016. Some actions, such as Hillary Clinton being allowed to break the Super pac laws with impunity, were very unlikely to impact who the people chose as their nominee. However, one of the more disturbing things we witnessed in the primar was a tactic of voter suppression, which could have impacted who the people ultimately chose as their nominee. I wanted make a statement like without any documentation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...er-problem-polls-sanders-de-blasio/index.html

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9550670/amp

https://www.gregpalast.com/placebo-...ia-bernie-using-old-gop-vote-snatching-trick/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...07c79ce3504_story.html?utm_term=.45e1e3cbbd88

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/11/08/bernie-would-have-won-california/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9780128/amp

https://www.ricentral.com/news/stat...cle_dcf9f49c-55dc-11e6-a2a5-c3f9e8be3871.html

https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRan...-the-arizona-primary-yesterday?media=AMP+HTML

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves to say that' "At the end of the day, it was us the voters who picked Hillary over Bernie, sometimes in significant margins," when not every voter who wanted to be heard was heard. It comes across as disingenuous to say that when our voting system failed more than once in 2016.

During the primary voter rolls were purged in unheard of numbers. Others who were registered democrats had their party affiliations inexpicable switched, making them ineligible to vote in the democratic primary. Indepedent voters who were eligible to vote were given provisional ballots/ placebo ballots that weren't counted. Results went missing from precincts, polling stations were closed down in a coordinated effort to keep people from casting ballots, and data was hidden amid requests for recounts and audits.

Maybe in spite of all of this corruption at the end of of the day voters would have still picked Hillary as you say, but there is also a possibility that had the waters not been so muddied Bernie could have become the winner. The fact that the DNC rigged the primary against him shows that they feared that he could have at least potentially won the primary, so they were going to make sure that this did not happen.

However, Bernie's ideas definitely won a victory, and people don't just want a third term of Obama and to remain in the center, because every serious candidate in the democratic primary be it Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, Tulsi Gabbard, Kirsten Gillibrand, Elizabeth Warren, is signing onto his ideas because they are overwhelmingly popular with the people, medicare for all, 15 dollar an hour minimum wage, expansion of social security, tuition-free colleges, progressive tax reforms. These are issues that are important enough that democrats wishing to rise had better address them. Bernie may have lost the battle, but he is winning the war.

Lastly you told me to keep in mind that Bernie made the DNC his enemy and set the democratic party on fire. You are saying that as if it is a statement of the obvious, but I genuinely do not know what you mean by this. All of the evidence that I have seen indicates that Bernie is an ally to the democratic party.

Bernie has voted alongside democrats, supported their legislation, chaired their committees and campaigned for them for his entire political life, and continues to do so. He is a member of the democratic caucus, was given a thank you card by Hillary Clinton in praise of his commitment to crusading with her for healthcare reform in 1993, was on the committee that wrote the Affordable Care Act, and is currently the chair of the Democratic Outreach committee. He has even come the aid of democrats who were not his supporters, such as Clinton-backer Andrew Gillum to help him gain the nomination in Florida.

If anything it was was the democrats who shot themselves in the foot, and set their own party on fire with their blatant corruption. Bernie was an independent who joined the democratic party. What is the matter with that? Hillary is a former republican I would like to remind you, as was Lincoln Chaffey who also ran in the 2016 primary. This is so for some of today's contenders. Elizabeth Warren is a former republican, and I believe Tulsi Gabbard is as well. Bernie acknowleding that he is a political outsider should not be an incendiary thing. If anything it was a feature that the public was intrigued by, people like Bernie and Donald Trump who were not the same old establishment players.

Bernie's real crime was that he wasn't bought off like most of congress, and expressing a desire to get money out of politics. This did not sit well with big money donors. Bernie was not a yes-man for the democratic party, nor was he harming it, what stood for was reforming the democratic party.

It was the DNC that tried to destroy Bernie, not the other way around, because they wanted to be corrupt. It was the DNC fed anti-Bernie Sanders stories to publish, strategized to smear his religion and even spread false news stories that Bernie sanders supporters threw a violent riot. The Clinton campaign called the white house to even block Bernie's legislation. The DNC funneled away donations to Hillary that should have been distributed evenly with Bernie, other candidates who opposed Hillary and down ticket races. Debbie Wasserman Schultz restricted the debates to keep Bernie from gaining exposure, suspended his access to data without investigation, and even personally threatened Bernie, promising that he would never win. She also cut off funding to democratic representatives who dared to publicly express support for Bernie. And I could go on and on.

This was not about the people, nor about the party, this was about crowning a queen, and God forbid an eldery, mostly unknown senator from a small state get in the way of the royal chariot with this talk about the peasants.

Bernie did not set the democratic party fire. Though he would have been justified in doing so with their rampant illegal behavior. He was gentle towards the DNC if you consider what he could have done alternatively if he was really vengeful.

He kept his campaign against Hillary Clinton issue-based. He did not attack her character or bring up her scandals. He endorsed her at the end of the primary and campaigned for her. He did so even in the face of criticism from his own supporters, as Hillary was viewed (with good reason) as being corrupt and antithetical to his message. If Bernie were to run in 2020 and be attacked on the basis of where his loyalties lay, critics would be better justified attacking him fom from outside of the establishment democratic party than within.

If he wanted to damagee democratic party he could have brockered the Democratic Convention in a floor fight-- he had the right to do so because in spite of the DNC rigging the primary, Hillary still lacked the 1,237 delegates necessary for her nomination to be uncontested.

Bernie could have refused to endorse Hillary altogether as Ron Paul did with Romney in 2012. He could have even run as a third party candidate, splitting the liberal vote up and giving Trump an overwhelming landslide. Bernie chose not to do that. He protected the democratic party to point of falling on his sword.

His conduct is extremely gracious when compared with Hillary Clinton's in the 2008 primary. She ran a racist and bitter campaign against Barack Obama. Her campaign tweeted out photographs of Obama visiting Kenya and wearing traditional African clothes to cast doubt on Obama's citizenship and allegience. It was the very same image that was later used by the birther movement. She also ran the racist 3:00 AM ad, implying that America's children would not be safe if her opponent (Obama) was selected instead of her.

When Hillary was questioned as to why she remained in the primary when it was no longer possible for her to win, she alluded to the assination of Robert F Kennedy and the California primary. Yes, Hillary Clinton stooped so low that she would throw out clues about her opponent being murdered to get ahead. Yet it was Bernie Sanders' conduct was somehow outrageous?

Bernie also gave his endorsement to Hillary with no expectation of obtaining anything in return but that Hillary be true to his policies and message. What we saw by contrast in 2008 was not concern for party unity and the American people, but only selfishness. Hillary Clinton endorsed Obama and campaigned for him, but it was for a price. She became Secretary of State, which is I think the biggest mistake Obama ever made--- but I digress.

Bernie may not be liked by loyal/establishment democrats--he never was, he was not an outsider. He was a scourge. However, saying that he killed his support and basically set the democratic party is something I can't let stand.

Back