• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
I pronounce it my-zaan. I could see it also being pronounced me-zen though.
:O I knew it!
FYI, the correct way to pronounce my name is Mi-zan. Though I'm not forcing anyone to change how they pronounce my name.

In English, I presume that the first 'A' is always pronounced with a slight 'eh' sound. Well, that's how I talk English anyway. Apple(Eh-pel).

Funny thing is that I once heard a Westerner(i.e English/American/Canadian/speaks english) pronounce the word Mati(Death) as Meh-tey/Matey. XD

But, I've rambled on about phonetics for too long. I'll update the FFOTY thread on saturday...

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
:O I knew it!
FYI, the correct way to pronounce my name is Mi-zan. Though I'm not forcing anyone to change how they pronounce my name.

In English, I presume that the first 'A' is always pronounced with a slight 'eh' sound. Well, that's how I talk English anyway. Apple(Eh-pel).

Funny thing is that I once heard a Westerner(i.e English/American/Canadian/speaks english) pronounce the word Mati(Death) as Meh-tey/Matey. XD

But, I've rambled on about phonetics for too long. I'll update the FFOTY thread on saturday...

o.0 Um, no apple does not sound like ehpel. I say apple in the audio clip.

Yes, that is me in the audio clip. I couldn't find my mic, so I had to use the built in one on my laptop and it sucks.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023

Yes, that is me in the audio clip. I couldn't find my mic, so I had to use the built in one on my laptop and it sucks.

æp.ʔl

It almost sounds like a ə instead of a ʔ or just nothing at all, so that's why I put the ʔ, cause I could swear I could hear at least something.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
You people and your fancy symbols.

When I want to explain how I pronounce something, I just use regular letters. Like, for "Apple", I'll go "Ahp-le" with an extra explanation of "le" pronounced to sound kind of like "ill".

Yeah, I don't really explain pronunciation often.

And yay! I've always pronounced Mizan's name right. *pats self on back*

*is awed by Misheard's wisdom* AWED I TELL YOU!

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Actually, when I was learning about the stuff, I was quite surprised on about how it could be pronounced. That is to say, think of the word "a", there are a number of ways to pronounce it surprisingly. Everything from a Canadian "eh" to a "uh" sound. ;)

People and their languages, I tell yah. XD :P :3

In fact, if you were to use the phonetic alphabet for a particular dialect, you could pronounce things like a American Southerner no problem. XD (my teacher did it).

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I just like imitating accents. My favourite ones to do are Irish, Scottish, Russian, American and Australian. In that order.

DGexe

Taunter
Years
ACCENTS! I pull them out of my bum, seriously. *jumps in on the conversation* And then I get weird hybrids.

"... W-wha'? Wha' d' ya mean I 'ave t' go all th' way t' Oreburge t' get a badge? I want t' get yer badge, Mister Bryon! ... I don't 'ave enough badges? Wha' th' 'ell are ya talkin' 'bout?! I got all eight badges back in m' 'ome region o' 'oenn! ... Tha' doesn't count?! Doesn't count? Bloody 'ell, sir, I 'ave enough experience under m' belt an'... ooh, fine, if ya insist. By Arceus, this is freakin' unb'lievable. ... I don't be'ave m'self well enough? Oooh, why ya...!"

Like that. ^

What is this accent? I came up with it originally for an OC of mine, and it spread, and it morphed, and... WHAT IS IT? o__O? I love it to death, but heck if I know what it is. Western? Southern? I think originally I was going for something Irish/Scottish/British... >:

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
It reads as a cross between British, American Southern, and maybe Australian (if we count Australian as different from British, since there could be some differences)? I have a character with what would be described as an Australian accent, and I could here him speaking like that.

There might be something else in there, but those are the ones that I could hear when I read that.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
*Jumps randomly in*

"... W-wha'? Wha' d' ya mean I 'ave t' go all th' way t' Oreburge t' get a badge? I want t' get yer badge, Mister Bryon! ... I don't 'ave enough badges? Wha' th' 'ell are ya talkin' 'bout?! I got all eight badges back in m' 'ome region o' 'oenn! ... Tha' doesn't count?! Doesn't count? Bloody 'ell, sir, I 'ave enough experience under m' belt an'... ooh, fine, if ya insist. By Arceus, this is freakin' unb'lievable. ... I don't be'ave m'self well enough? Oooh, why ya...!"

I wouldn't classify it as British (I don't consider that an accent considering Britain contains lots of different regional accents as well as Welsh, Scottish, etc). I was going to say Scottish or Irish at first, but then the "ya" kind of threw that off. No one I know of from those places would say it. Then I decided to read it outloud in a Yorkshire accent, and that seemed to fit pretty well.

The thought of a trainer from Yorkshire is a little odd...

*Jumps back out again*

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Personally, I'm not a fan of putting accents in the text itself; maybe that's because I just don't like using accents much anyway, but it always makes me confused at the character's speech. There's not much else I can contribute to the conversation seeing as it's a pretty slow day today, but I can inform people that Cats (the musical) has more Ear Worms than any other CD, show, or game series I've ever seen.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years

I know how to pronounce apple. fyi. The 'eh' is just to denote the slanted 'a' sound because I'm unfamiliar with IPA even with my studies into Linguistics and Rhythmic Phonetics(Made it up).

It doesn't matter how you say it, it still tastes like an apple.
All hail, Thane of Glamis
Apples. XD
You people and your fancy symbols.
Seconded...

Well, my favourite accents are Irish, Japanese(Only when used with the language or sometimes to comedic effect in English with the mispronunciation of 'l), Kelantanese(Malay dialect), Chinglish(Malaysian Chinese mixed with English) and Arabic-ish. Some of these sound weird when you speak them in English. :P

Misheard Whisper

Years
There's not much else I can contribute to the conversation seeing as it's a pretty slow day today, but I can inform people that Cats (the musical) has more Ear Worms than any other CD, show, or game series I've ever seen.
Seconded/thirded/fourthed/fifthed/sixthed/etc.

I love that musical. i love it i love it i love it i love it lo amo lo amo lo amo lo amo

Misheard Whisper

Years
Yeah, you can get it on DVD, a very good version from London's West End. It has Elaine Page in it, who is very good imo.

And now I'm wondering why the Wikipedia page on Bo'ness has a picture of a Bo'ness drain cover on it.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I know. Me being the snowed-in cheapskate that I am, I watched it on YouTube, but I do want to get the DVD. <3

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Usually, the DVD beats the Youtube version, only if by making you actually have a sense of belonging.
And now I'm wondering why the Wikipedia page on Bo'ness has a picture of a Bo'ness drain cover on it.
Why were you looking at that page in the first place?

Other than that, I somehow managed to get from Hair Colors to Malaysia on Tv Tropes... Actually, I'm feeling really patriotic right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back