• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: [Alpha] (MEH) Map Editor of Happiness

pokenar

Lunatic Red Eyes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2022
What I've always had trouble with is the coding. You should make this as simple as possible for those who are beginners at coding and don't know anything about it.
But... what does coding have to do with a map editor, unless there is a function I never used, the coding is up to the script editor you use.
I still can't believe I haven't fixed that yet. XD
But this is normal, I haven't actually added that yet.

Also, I've added Day/Night pokemon support to MEH, so you can add different Pokemon to different times of day. Currently it requires primaldialga's DNS although a different system may or may not be released at a later time. Also, the tool currently doesn't auto-inject the ASM, so it's kinda useless for the general public at the moment. But for those who want to try it out, here's the ASM:
Spoiler:

These are for Fire Red and replace the two routines in this thread. Insertion is exactly the same and only those two routines are required. It also supports swarming although it's disabled by default, but can be activated using the flag at the bottom called "enable_swarming". The how-to on this is also in the thread, although the variable for the map operates slightly different. To change the map, set the variable 0x4FFE with the top byte as the bank and the bottom one as the map. So if I wanted a swarm on Route 1 I'd set variable 0x4FFE to 0x0313, since it's bank 3 and map 0x13 (19 in decimal).

Well, I'm happy to say that unlike Amap 1.92, when I save the rom after editing it with this, I can still open it in GBAPGE, though I can't delete events so I can't test that portion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 27, 2016
well i don't want to be the bad guy but primaldialga's DNS make a problem when you try to trade a pokemon, i test this in a hack that i made, and when i use it i can't trade, that don't ocurre when i don't use the DNS, so i figured out that primaldialga's DNS have somethig whit this, that's why i beg you don't use it in this great map editor!
I repeat i'm not against primaldialga but for me trading pokemon is very important jeje

3dd13

Leader of the Fallen
Years
So, this is still in alpha stage? So that alone, makes AMap better than MEH this time around.
I'll download this as soon as the stable version will be released.
As of now, AMap is more suitable for Hacking :D

Oh, and one question, what makes MEH better than Lu-Ho's AMap? =)

I have been on the irc channel with shinyquagsire when the idea was first thrown and have had the honor of testing this map editor since day one (almost). while it is nowhere near ready to overtake amap, it in itself already has features advancemap had but never improved on. the 3 key features are the connections editor, the fact it is fast (even on my christmas slow pc. half the loading speed of amap at worst) and the fact it is open source and easy to adjust for your hack thanks to an easier to understand and edit INI. in some aspects it has already overtaken amap and once completed it will definitely put amap in the grave. but as with any other alpha/beta tool, this isnt anywhere near a true ready final product and just messing with the current build shows that. i remember messing with amap a few versions back from any "final" release and saw how buggy it was. sadly the author kept it closed source so many things never got fixed and many improvements couldnt be made without serious knowlege of dissasembly and a risk to the rom. this time thogh MEH will avoid that and allow modifications for years to come even if shinyquagsire decides to leave the community unlike amap when LU-HO left.
shinyquagsire even clearly states that the editor is in a beta stage and is only ment for testing and feedback of features. simply put, comments like that are rude and discourages attempts to make tools. why would you take hours of your time to make something for people who are ungrateful for it when you make no profit whatsoever? point exactly. dont like it? dont use it, but also remember some things are better left unsaid.

anyhow on to my comment to shinyquagsire
Revolutionary connections editor - Connection editing has never been easier! Now all it takes is a click and a drag to adjust connections, and edits are even mirrored onto opposite connections!
this has got to be the best feature at this minute. i have tested it on a clean rom linking pallet town to vermilion city and it worked flawlessly in game. this will definitely come in handy later. i remember trying to do this with amap 1.92 for crystal dust and it just wasnt very user friendly.

well i don't want to be the bad guy but primaldialga's DNS make a problem when you try to trade a pokemon, i test this in a hack that i made, and when i use it i can't trade, that don't ocurre when i don't use the DNS, so i figured out that primaldialga's DNS have somethig whit this, that's why i beg you don't use it in this great map editor!
I repeat i'm not against primaldialga but for me trading pokemon is very important jeje

this is strange because on a clean firered rom i can trade just fine. the 2 questions are: did your hack break compatibility due to dns somewhere? Is the emulator of choice to blame? I am using VBA-M provided in the toolkit Linkandzelda provided (on Rom Hackers Online I believe) and have not had any issues with DNS.

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years

I personally don't like primaldialga's DNS as well, and I'm planning on either making my own or using diegoisawesome's D/N system in the future. But currently I'm maintaining compatability with primaldialga's system since it makes it much easier on the ASM side due to the time-of-day status byte it has. But, like 3dd13 above said, being closed source is a serious disadvantage at the current moment so I'd like to get an open source Day/Night system out there so that it can work better with MEH and other tools. I'm also planning on at least adding a bit of configuration with the D/N wild pokemon patching utility that will be added so that if you are using another system a legacy system can be added to update that status byte location manually with just a simple RTC patch, which would help for Ruby/Emerald support in the event that you don't particularly like the ugly palettes of current Day/Night systems.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 27, 2016
to 3dd13 i test my hack, a clean one too with vba 1.8.0 link and with my boy.apk for android. in both the trade doesn't work, it stops when the trade began.
To Shiny Quagsire, i hope that your new DNS make trade possible, thanks for make this map editor!! it will be the best

Shiny Quagsire

Years
OK, so good new people. I've added automatic D/N Pokemon patching, so now if you try to convert your existing wild data to the new Day/Night format you will be prompted to patch. Currently it will automatically find freespace and default to the usual status byte location, although it is possible to change both. To keep it safe, just stick to the defaults and it'll work just fine. You can also patch from the Tools menu by going to Tools > Patches > Day/Night Pokemon.

EDIT: Also, I should note that for the time being it's Fire Red only. Emerald and Ruby support will come in due time, and Leaf Green/Sapphire support is unplanned 'cause standards.

Double EDIT: I also just fixed a bug that caused Wild Pokemon to save outside of the usual sandboxing of maps. Basically instead of acting like maps where it only saves when you press the "Save to VROM" button, it would directly edit to the VROM which is not good in terms of consistency. but it's fixed now, so yay. Oh, and the title properly updates now, so no more "No ROM Loaded" stuff. :)

Last edited:

Goombario64

Master of Galaxies
Years
I've tried saving the wild pokemon data I put in for route 101 in Ruby, but it doesn't seem to actually write to the rom. Yes, I did click "write to Rom" and then hit save, but after closing out and going back into it, the data is gone. Am I the error, or is it MEH?

EDIT: To be specific, here's the Pokemon I put in:
Zigzagoon: (2-4) 20%
Poochyena: (2-4) 20%
Rattata: (2-4) 10%
Skitty: (2-4) 10%
Sentret: (2-4) 10%
Taillow: (2-4) 10%
Pidgey: (2-4) 5%
Spearow: (2-4) 5%
Farfetch'd: (2-4) 4%
Dunsparce: (2-4) 4%
Doduo: (2-4) 1%
Igglybuff: (2-4) 1%

The same thing happened with Route 102, where I put these in:
Zigzagoon (3-5) 20%
Poochyena: (3-5) 20%
Lotad: (3-5) 10%
Seedot: (3-5) 10%
Taillow: (3-5) 10%
Azurill: (3-5) 10%
Ralts: (3-5) 5%
Hoothoot: (3-5) 5%
Doduo: (3-5) 4%
Skitty: (3-5) 4%
Totodile: (3-5) 1%
Slakoth: (3-5) 1%

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

Years
I've tried saving the wild pokemon data I put in for route 101 in Ruby, but it doesn't seem to actually write to the rom. Yes, I did click "write to Rom" and then hit save, but after closing out and going back into it, the data is gone. Am I the error, or is it MEH?

EDIT: To be specific, here's the Pokemon I put in:
Zigzagoon: (2-4) 20%
Poochyena: (2-4) 20%
Rattata: (2-4) 10%
Skitty: (2-4) 10%
Sentret: (2-4) 10%
Taillow: (2-4) 10%
Pidgey: (2-4) 5%
Spearow: (2-4) 5%
Farfetch'd: (2-4) 4%
Dunsparce: (2-4) 4%
Doduo: (2-4) 1%
Igglybuff: (2-4) 1%

The same thing happened with Route 102, where I put these in:
Poochyena: (3-5) 20%
Lotad: (3-5) 10%
Seedot: (3-5) 10%
Taillow: (3-5) 10%
Azurill: (3-5) 10%
Ralts: (3-5) 5%
Hoothoot: (3-5) 5%
Doduo: (3-5) 4%
Skitty: (3-5) 4%
Totodile: (3-5) 1%
Slakoth: (3-5) 1%

Thanks for the specifics, it definitely helps, and thanks for testing because I probably wouldn't have noticed this until days later. :P

I looked into it and it turns out it's a global glitch caused by my sandboxing fix I mentioned above which caused a NullPointerException when writing to the ROM, which obviously isn't very good. It should work now though so try downloading the latest version of MEH and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll continue looking for a fix since this is obviously a bit of an issue.

Goombario64

Master of Galaxies
Years
K, I'll get back to you on that.
EDIT: Still doesn't work.
This time I used a bunch of classic Kanto pokemon (I believe they were the three starters, pikachu, pidgey, caterpie, spearow, ekans, rattata, zubat, paras, and diglett, if memory serves). They were all level 2-4.
EDIT 2: I don't have time-based encounters enabled that I'm aware of, but I do recall the morning one being checked (I suppose that is default?). Since I did this at 3ish in the morning (which I think is considered nighttime in Ruby), I might need to check this again. I'll use the list from the first edit.
EDIT 3: Well, no, I don't even have this Rom patched for time-related encounters, so that couldn't be the problem. Never mind the second edit.

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

Years
K, I'll get back to you on that.
EDIT: Still doesn't work.
This time I used a bunch of classic Kanto pokemon (I believe they were the three starters, pikachu, pidgey, caterpie, spearow, ekans, rattata, zubat, paras, and diglett, if memory serves). They were all level 2-4.
EDIT 2: I don't have time-based encounters enabled that I'm aware of, but I do recall the morning one being checked (I suppose that is default?). Since I did this at 3ish in the morning (which I think is considered nighttime in Ruby), I might need to check this again. I'll use the list from the first edit.
EDIT 3: Well, no, I don't even have this Rom patched for time-related encounters, so that couldn't be the problem. Never mind the second edit.

OK, so it turns out that it wasn't even reading anything at all for me, period, so this was an issue. You'll probably think I'm a little special for this, but the error is actually in the INI file. I guess I accidentally bumped my keyboard or something while editing it and the change went through to my buildbox. >.<

So you can either download the latest release again or you can make the edit yourself. To make it yourself to into the INI and find the line that says WildPokemon = 0x84D9Cf. Get rid of the 'f' at the end so it looks like this: WildPokemon = 0x84D9C. That should fix the issue.

Shiny Quagsire

Years
OK all, we've got some good stuff going here. So Emerald has been added to the list of ROMs compatible with my Day/Night Pokemon patch, so if you've been wanting to try it out on Emerald you can grab the latest build and do that. Ruby will most likely come next and after that I'll probably start working on a Block Editor.

Goombario64

Master of Galaxies
Years
OK, so it turns out that it wasn't even reading anything at all for me, period, so this was an issue. You'll probably think I'm a little special for this, but the error is actually in the INI file. I guess I accidentally bumped my keyboard or something while editing it and the change went through to my buildbox. >.<

So you can either download the latest release again or you can make the edit yourself. To make it yourself to into the INI and find the line that says WildPokemon = 0x84D9Cf. Get rid of the 'f' at the end so it looks like this: WildPokemon = 0x84D9C. That should fix the issue.

Sweet, it works now! Thanks a lot for making this awesome program.
Heh, and no worries - we all make mistakes.

Years
Rather bold of you to criticize Advance Map. With you confidence, I expect that MEH will be a revolutionary map editing tool! Oh, and I have a tiny request/question: Can/Will you (be) mak(e)ing the tool more "eye-candy"?

Shiny Quagsire

Years
Rather bold of you to criticize Advance Map. With you confidence, I expect that MEH will be a revolutionary map editing tool! Oh, and I have a tiny request/question: Can/Will you (be) mak(e)ing the tool more "eye-candy"?

I probably won't be adding more eye-candy since it's kinda pointless to do so. It will though at least use the system UI so it won't look like Win2k or anything like that, so Mac and Linux users can use the tool without it looking funky.

Goombario64

Master of Galaxies
Years
So, I have a question: Is it already possible to change the percentage chances of wild pokemon encounters? (not the chance of encountering them all in general, 'cause I've seen that. I mean specific pokemon.)
And I don't know if it's just me, but I can't get the Add/Remove buttons to do anything.

Years
I probably won't be adding more eye-candy since it's kinda pointless to do so. It will though at least use the system UI so it won't look like Win2k or anything like that, so Mac and Linux users can use the tool without it looking funky.

Hi Shiny,

Would love to help out on this project. I do have some experience hacking pokemon games using the old time stuff like advanced map, which actually worked quite well, but this looks even better!!!!

A couple of questions since I am new:

I am not sure if this is common knowledge in the PokeCommunity but, when will you release the next stable version?

Also, what download link should I use to download it? As I see you are constantly uploading it. I just want the latest release.

In the real world, it's my job to basically analyze technology processes in companies and figure out what works well and what doesn't. Then I get paid to figure out what works and looks better. I also do some (User Interface) UI/Front End web design stuff so I would be happy suggest any features or changes.

Shiny Quagsire

Years
So, I have a question: Is it already possible to change the percentage chances of wild pokemon encounters? (not the chance of encountering them all in general, 'cause I've seen that. I mean specific pokemon.)
And I don't know if it's just me, but I can't get the Add/Remove buttons to do anything.

No, but that does give me an idea, because it would be nice to reorder the pokemon. But the percentage encounter rates are hardcoded into the game. I'll look into the Add/Remove buttons, but for the record they are meant to add and remove different environments, not pokemon.

Hi Shiny,

Would love to help out on this project. I do have some experience hacking pokemon games using the old time stuff like advanced map, which actually worked quite well, but this looks even better!!!!

A couple of questions since I am new:

I am not sure if this is common knowledge in the PokeCommunity but, when will you release the next stable version?

Also, what download link should I use to download it? As I see you are constantly uploading it. I just want the latest release.

In the real world, it's my job to basically analyze technology processes in companies and figure out what works well and what doesn't. Then I get paid to figure out what works and looks better. I also do some (User Interface) UI/Front End web design stuff so I would be happy suggest any features or changes.

Good to know that you are willing to help. You don't have to obviously but if you want to the source code it on my GitHub here.

In reguards to the download link, I have it set up to always link to the latest release. Once I do get a stable version out I'll start linking it to only the stable version and have a nightly link for those who want to live on the edge (or ruin their ROM whichever comes first). As it is now, I'd say it's somewhat unstable but not horribly unstable. The saving system prevents any changes from being written to the file until you actually press the save button. As for a predicted release, I'm aiming for something by the end of this month or the next. Map editing is completely in, all that's missing is a worldmap editor and a block editor.

I personally don't like primaldialga's DNS as well, and I'm planning on either making my own or using diegoisawesome's D/N system in the future. But currently I'm maintaining compatability with primaldialga's system since it makes it much easier on the ASM side due to the time-of-day status byte it has. But, like 3dd13 above said, being closed source is a serious disadvantage at the current moment so I'd like to get an open source Day/Night system out there so that it can work better with MEH and other tools. I'm also planning on at least adding a bit of configuration with the D/N wild pokemon patching utility that will be added so that if you are using another system a legacy system can be added to update that status byte location manually with just a simple RTC patch, which would help for Ruby/Emerald support in the event that you don't particularly like the ugly palettes of current Day/Night systems.

If/When you do get around to making a Day/Night system, please give us the option to use the RTC that's already present in Ruby/Emerald.

Or did I misread you and the Day/Night Pokemon switch is already compatible with the native Ruby/Emerald RTC?

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Bleh.

Who knew that my first post on PC in so long would be on this thread.

Anyways, I took a look at your source, and I've made a few changes that make operating the map editor a lot smoother.

Demonstration:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntsifq5rgkxfvji/MEH1.mp4

Also consider getting rid of a lot of those extra lines. They're bothersome :o

Maybe consider starting blocks on the same line as the opening statement.

Maybe add me as a contributor.

Github: pokecommunity

Back