• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

United States Government Shuts Down Over Petty Squabbling

Years
Yeah I don't see how people wanting asylum is a national emergency.
And like these are people, these are people with lives he's causing undo harm to especially since their being sent to terrible camps in Mexico.

He claims to care about the middle class american citizens but they're the most endangered here, he's needlessly going to force people into poverty and then rattata about how people are claiming social assistance now.

There are a couple thousand waiting at the edge of the border for their cases to be heard, and then another couple thousand forming in a new caravan that is heading to the border. That alone could be enough to declare an emergency.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
There are a couple thousand waiting at the edge of the border for their cases to be heard, and then another couple thousand forming in a new caravan that is heading to the border. That alone could be enough to declare an emergency.

I don't really see how that constitutes an emergency

Years
I don't really see how that constitutes an emergency

It may be a difference of opinion, however having a couple thousand people massing on your border, who have attempted at least twice now to cross in small groups illegally and been repelled, seem to constitute an emergency situation. Considering we had troops move down there before Thanksgiving to prepare facilities for the people, also would highlight the emergency status.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
It may be a difference of opinion, however having a couple thousand people massing on your border, who have attempted at least twice now to cross in small groups illegally and been repelled, seem to constitute an emergency situation. Considering we had troops move down there before Thanksgiving to prepare facilities for the people, also would highlight the emergency status.
I see.

If a national emergency was declared in order to quickly provide facilities for this potential influx of people and get them processed, that would be ok I guess. But that's not what Trump wants to do here, as he is considering declaring a national emergency to build a border wall, and that's not a good reason to me to do it.

Years
I see.

If a national emergency was declared in order to quickly provide facilities for this potential influx of people and get them processed, that would be ok I guess. But that's not what Trump wants to do here, as he is considering declaring a national emergency to build a border wall, and that's not a good reason to me to do it.

Well I guess its a question of the justification, and that may deal with where the border is built, seeing how it could only be on federal land and if there are not many crossings there, a judge could say there is no justification for it. On the other hand if the President were to show that a border wall would drive these people to check points where they could be processed, instead of catching them in the middle of the desert, miles away from said facilities. He could have a point there as well.

Years
After the longest shutdown in history, Trump finally signed a bill today that would re-open government through February 15th. As of now he does not have the funds he demanded to build that wall. This stunt looks like waste of everybody's time.

Hopefully the government will not shut down again, and there will be no national emergency declared. Most Americans do not support this wall, and even those who do, by in large do not believe that it should be built at the cost of the government shutting down.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
tbh I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the 3 weeks Trump just goes and declares a national emergency

The Dems are not likely to give him the wall, and he won't back down on it either, and idk if he'd be willing to go back to a shutdown again, so....

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
tbh I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the 3 weeks Trump just goes and declares a national emergency

The Dems are not likely to give him the wall, and he won't back down on it either, and idk if he'd be willing to go back to a shutdown again, so....

considering that he said its reopening for a few weeks, i would assume if the wall still doesnt happen he aint gonna keep the government open.

Years
Damned if you do or don't at this point. Fighting the wall is killing the US economically, building it kills the US economically. It's infuriating that the poor are paying for his ego trip with their wellbeing.

Years
While teeeeeeechnically yes, there could be another shutdown. I think that is less likely, simply because politicians, both left and right, are if nothing self-preserving. It would not be a smart strategy for the Republicans to adopt politically-speaking. So many people are hurting because of this shutdown, most of us live paycheck do paycheck, and every day of this shutdown people looked to their president to stop it. Trump's approval ratings have only dipped further these past months. He wouldn't have retreated if he felt this tactic was working. The American people hold him and his party responsible for all this suffering, not democrats, and he ultimately ended up making his opposition look good. Dems have no reason to give Trump anything under these circumstances, except more rope to hang himself. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results." -Albert Einstein

Trump also appears to be walking back the language of declaring a national emergency in his most recent speeches. If he does so it would be even more troubling than the federal shutdown, as it would set a dangerous precedent for undermining the congressional authority, and it certainly would not be without political repercussions.

I think he's going to have to accede to something more reasonable like Schumer's funding for fencing repairs or Clyburn's suggestion of improved technology at the border i.e more sensors, agents or go home with nothing.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
Trump wont give up on the wall until hes no longer president. Even then hes still gonna be wanting and trying to get the wall. Hes pretty much acting like a child that isnt allowed or got denied candy.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
That's quite an unfair and one-sided point of view, so I'll provide the other end of it.
It's beyond unfair and one-sided because it's hardly even an argument. It's about as convincing as hearing Hitler denounce his opponents along his own race lines of convenience, because that's never a foundation a sane human being takes to explain anything, let alone contemporary sociopolitical matters of all things.

So, here's a suggestion, how about instead of wasting money on a border wall that won't actually do jack shit, the government improves and streamlines the immigration process so there's less need for people to enter the country illegally to escape danger.

If the problem is with the illegality, not with people who happen to be born outside the US, then fix your broken immigration system so entering illegally stops being a necessity to get out of danger.
Immigrants aren't running from mortal danger, on the whole. Those people seek asylum, not stolen social security numbers, because they have better chances if they have a reason for asylum anyway. And unlike undocumented illegals, they're tracked and provide statistics. It's a very big problem with illegal immigration that we don't actually know anything on what they're doing, how they got here or anything besides, because they're undocumented. Open borders only exacerbates this issue, but sane immigration policies could fix it and give us all insight for improvements. The original problem here is that immigration pathways in the US are non-functional.

The cost of living isn't magically cheaper for immigrants. Unemployment is a an all-time low and there are more vacancies than people looking for a job (!) so it's not like companies can afford to mistreat workers that way, or else they can just pack up and leave. And anyway, most immigrants end up doing jobs that most natives won't do- agricultural labour, cleaning, taking care of old people, etc. The actual effect of immigrants in the average wage (let alone that of a white-collar manual worker in the Rust Belt) is minimal, if it even exists. And if it does, it's smaller compared to the Republican Party's refusal to increase the minimum wage or to defend Obama's rule forcing companies to pay overtime to workers who made between $25k and $45k. It's just that immigrants are easier to scapegoat.
Do you have sources for any of these things? Honestly, an empirical baseline of what immigrants are doing is p. much the holy grail of the immigration debate, because we are inexplicably unable to know about undocumented immigrants due to how they arrive and stay here. Undocumented = unknown. What do we know?

Also, immigrants pay a ton of net taxes as the companies withold payroll tax but they don't get any benefits in turn. So they are a money-making machine for the Government and anyone with a pension should be happy about it.
Immigrants pay the same amount of taxes anyone else would for their annual income as prescribed by the IRS. This is the "money-making machine for the government" and it operates with no discrimination on a basis of immigration because it can't. They can't tell apart citizens from undocumented immigrants in the first place and legal immigrants don't have wildly different tax codes either. The government isn't exploiting immigrants through taxation any more than they exploit the general population through taxation.

Furthermore, the number of mexican immigrants apprehended in the border has collapsed by over 90% since the 2000, from 1.6 million a year to 130k. Building a wall now is not going to do much.
Border apprehension of Mexicans could mean that the number of Mexicans attempting to cross has plummeted, it could mean far more Mexicans are crossing undetected, or it could mean both somewhere in between. We have no idea what to make of such a statistic in the context of immigrants because it doesn't speak of anyone who makes it into the US, so it speaks nothing about even a hypothetical effectiveness of the wall.

...not to mention that, if Trump's idea of how the metal slabs will work is in scale (notice the car), the separation between the slats is wide enough to allow for bags of drugs and/or thin people (say, children, starving people) to go through. Genius!
So, rather than take the obvious solution of modifying the design to fix this vulnerability, we should cancel building it entirely?

And finally, polls show that a majority of Americans don't want a wall. And that includes the last poll, the one held in November, which was won by democrats by 9 percentage points, or 10 million votes, accross enough states to equal over 300 electoral votes come 2020. So they have no reason whatsoever to fund the wall unless Trump stars giving democrats a laundry list of policy concessions.
Polls closed in 2016 and they won't be reopening until 2020. Opinion polls are nice to gauge how certain political sects of the country feel about a topic, but they're not running a referendum and it holds no policy weight likewise. A large part of Trump's campaign platform involved the building of this wall, and when he was elected he was done so with the expectation of following through with his promises, including this. My advice for Democrats is to actually try and win 300 electoral votes on this issue come 2020 if they want to tear down the wall and have things their way.

Certainly. There's a cacophony aplenty about how terrible the shutdown is, but the simple truth is most people don't have a reason to care. The main victims are government employees, and the press hasn't even done a good job of propping them up as poster children for their part in this mess. Do they know how laughable it is to hear a furloughed TSA agent complain that they can't pay their mortgage and two car notes because that implies they have that lavish standard of living running paycheck to paycheck? That's their idea of what's worthy of sympathy? When do you get life savings making that kind of money? The main drawback for the general public is a delay of income tax refunds, honestly. Everything else is business as usual because the private sector is more than happy to pick up the slack.

if most folks have a reason to disapprove of the shutdown, it's not for the wall, it's for the squabbling and the hold-up. Trump postponed his state of the union address because he knows he'll just stake out the dems and before too long they'll be holding the short end of the stick, and will cave from the pressure. And he'll strut on stage proud as always, loud and brash, as he's played them yet again like a fiddle. Given how insignificant the cost of this wall is in the grand scheme of the federal budget, sensible lefties would have conceded this a long time ago and moved onto better things, if it weren't for a few very bitter, angry and revenge-ridden people holding it up.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Polls closed in 2016 and they won't be reopening until 2020. Opinion polls are nice to gauge how certain political sects of the country feel about a topic, but they're not running a referendum and it holds no policy weight likewise. A large part of Trump's campaign platform involved the building of this wall, and when he was elected he was done so with the expectation of following through with his promises, including this. My advice for Democrats is to actually try and win 300 electoral votes on this issue come 2020 if they want to tear down the wall and have things their way.

Actually, polls reopened last November, the Democrats won the House of Representatives by 9 million votes and flipped 40 republican seats to win the majority, and left a divided Government in which one branch does not want a wall and the other does, and both happen to have equal weight on the issue.

There was an election last November and democrats won one of the levers of Government by a pretty large margin. One lever which is powerful enough to block any claims for a wall. Because, after all, Democrats were voted in by the people after promising that no wall would be built if they could stop it. And, lo and behold, the American people handed them a veto on wall discussions.

Elections have consequences. Trump lost badly in 2018 and can no longer do whatever he pleases without control. He learnt that this week, when he gave in and ended his ridiculous shutdown tantrum and accepted that he's not giving a SOTU speech anytime soon. Nancy Pelosi heads a separate and coequal branch of Government capable of vetoing Trump, and this week it's finally dawned up on him that the world has changed. Hope you understand it too. There are more elections than presidential ones. They matter as much. And Republicans were shellacked in the latest ones.

After all, I don't remember Obama demanding that Republicans passed his policies after he lost the House in the 2010 midterms arguing that he won in 2008 and therefore the Republican 2010 victory -smaller in percentage and raw votes than the Democratic one in 2018, just saying- didn't count. Why should Trump expect Democrats to act like they are still in the minority when they no longer are?

Last edited:
Years
After all, I don't remember Obama demanding that Republicans passed his policies after he lost the House in the 2010 midterms arguing that he won in 2008 and therefore the Republican 2010 victory -smaller in percentage and raw votes than the Democratic one in 2018, just saying- didn't count.

Just a note the Republicans gained 63 seats in the house and 6 in the senate in 2010, making it one of the largest waves in history. Also Obama famously said "I've got a pen, and I've got a phone. And I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions and administrative actions that move the ball forward" when it came to Congress not passing the legislation he wanted.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Just a note the Republicans gained 63 seats in the house and 6 in the senate in 2010, making it one of the largest waves in history. Also Obama famously said "I've got a pen, and I've got a phone. And I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions and administrative actions that move the ball forward" when it came to Congress not passing the legislation he wanted.

Oh, yes, but the Republican victory amounted to 6 points and 6 million votes, while this year, democrats won by 9 points and 10 million votes. They netted fewer seats because of different district shapes and vagaries of the electoral system, but if the republican victory then was big, this one was bigger in both raw number of votes and percentage of public support. So, I mean, it must mean something, right?

And it's true that Obama did that kind of Executive orders- but only in things the President had authority over, and knowing that a Republican could walk in and just undo them, as it happened. What Obama didn't do -because he couldn't- was trying to push Obamacare 2.0 down the republican House's throat. Hell, he couldn't even pass a bipartisan migration reform ("Gang of Eight") that had passed the Senate with ample support and would have passed the House too because Boehner refused to put it for a vote. So yeah, why should Pelosi accept the Republican equivalent of Obamacare after the Democratic midterm victory?

Do you have anything to say for my other questions?

Honestly, I didn't really feel like researching that up. Let's just say that I vehemently disagree with your concept of migration and its effects. I'll look into it at some other point if I feel more energetic.

Years
Oh, yes, but the Republican victory amounted to 6 points and 6 million votes, while this year, democrats won by 9 points and 10 million votes. They netted fewer seats because of different district shapes and vagaries of the electoral system, but if the republican victory then was big, this one was bigger in both raw number of votes and percentage of public support. So, I mean, it must mean something, right?

Ehh depends on where the votes came from, if the Democrats ran up the score by having larger turn out in safe districts then it is meaningless. If the turnout was larger in swing districts then there is a point there. However Republicans were able to seemingly have a greater push in swing districts in 2010 than Democrats did in 2018 just from the number elected.

And it's true that Obama did that kind of Executive orders- but only in things the President had authority over, and knowing that a Republican could walk in and just undo them, as it happened. What Obama didn't do -because he couldn't- was trying to push Obamacare 2.0 down the republican House's throat. Hell, he couldn't even pass a bipartisan migration reform ("Gang of Eight") that had passed the Senate with ample support and would have passed the House too because Boehner refused to put it for a vote. So yeah, why should Pelosi accept the Republican equivalent of Obamacare after the Democratic midterm victory?

I would argue DACA was Obama's version of Obamacare 2.0 in that he wanted a large amnesty package and when he wasn't able to get it, ended up with an executive order similar to Trump declaring an emergency to get the border wall.

Years
Look, no matter what side you're on... the shutdown must not resume when the deadline comes. It doesn't matter. Federal workers need to get paid so places like post offices can continue to function.

That said, I think it's funny that Trump is upset with democrats for not being willing to negotiate when he's blind to any idea other than building his wall. But I'm 15, what do I know about politics?

Last edited:
Back