• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mimikyu

Melody

Banned
Years
One thing I find interesting is the existence of Mimikyu. The lore according to the Pokedex and in the game has it cast as quite a creepy Pokemon due to it's typing. It even HATES Pikachu, if the lore in the anime and game is anything to be believed.

So what are your thoughts on this Pokemon? What are your guesses, theories or feelings about it? Why does this Pokemon exist and why does it hate Pikachu?

blue

gucci
Years
I love Mimikyu and so should everyone else. I guess it's envious of Pikachu's popularity, but it just wants to be loved and it's such an adorable Pok?mon! I wasn't totally convinced when I first saw the design, but once I heard the backstory of Mimikyu I was instantly sold and had to use one on my team. One of the best Pok?mon to come out of Sun & Moon imo.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
It's soooooo adorable and the backstory really made me love it even more. Like others, I wasn't totally convinced on it when it leaked, but as I learned more about it, Mimikyu just grew on me. The comic strips are also so golden!

Kartanaheart

Origami King
Years
I really want to see what Mimikyu looks like under there. Is it really as cute as everyone believes?

Either way, it's a super intelligent Pokemon and I think that's cool.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
I was also pretty sceptical when I first saw his design, but after reading his backstory he really gained some points in the list of my favourite Pokèmon.
I'm not actually using one on my team, but I'm planning to since its disguise ability could really be useful.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
I found it cute when it was first leaked, but I absolutely fell in love when I saw it was a Ghost/Fairy!

Years
I love Mimikyu and the lore behind, it's a great example of the weird and wonderful Pokemon of Alola

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
Different to a lot of people in the thread so far - I fell in love with Mimikyu straight away when I saw its design (and when I heard its name, what a brilliant name) and then hearing its backstory made it even cooler. I've enjoyed using it in-game so far - I really like its ability and how they've embedded bits of its backstory into how you use Mimikyu.

Plus the fact that I'm using both a Mimikyu and a Pikachu on my team makes me laugh.

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
Years
Mimikyu is awesome. Ghost/Fairy? What's not to love? Of course, I'm a Ghost-Type fanatic, so I might not be the best person to ask about it. I love every Ghost-type, with the sole exception of Banette. But, I'm veering off-topic.
Mimikyu is interesting to me, because while Mimikyu uses Pikachu because of it's popularity, it makes me wonder. The choice of Pikachu can't be genetic or anything, since it was stated to have decided to disguise itself as Pikachu due to the apparent rise in popularity of Pikachu-styled merchandise. If that's the case, what did Mimikyu do before they realized Pikachu was so popular? Did they just cover themselves with bedsheets? Did they cover themselves at all? Are there still Mimikyu that don't pretend to be Pikachu? Do some Mimikyu dress up as Pokemon besides Pikachu? Maybe a Charikyu, or a Clefarikyu. Do all Mimikyus hate Pikachu, or is that just the one Team Rocket has? If there are Mimikyus that dress as Pokemon other than Pikachu, do they also hate the Pokemon they dress as? So many questions, so few answers.

colter519

Youngster
Years
My favorite part about mimikyu is its rap, although the japanese songs that Pokemon Company come out with all make me laugh, so there's that.

I initially thought that mimikyu would have different coverings than just pikachu, and I think it would be a fun bit of variety if it did have several options. Purely for cosmetic reasons of course, but it would still be entertaining to see.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
mimikyu is one of my favorite pokemon ever idc what other people say. i think it hates pikachu bc of it's popularity and it's jealous of the love pikachu gets. it probably wants some love and attention too :c i'd shower mimikyu with hugs and attention!! <3

Years
I feel Mimikyu has one of the darkest descriptions and backstories of any Pokemon to date. The fact that in the anime, the sole reason Mimikyu joined Team Rocket's side was because they were against Ash, who owns a Pikachu. Mimikyu have been shown to have a hatred towards Pikachu because of their popularity.

Shirona

[span="font-size: 18px; font-family: Abril Fatface
Years
  • Seen May 10, 2019

In a not-very-twisted way this song actually made me like the thing.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
I love Mimikyu. It's one of the few pokemon I genuinely cared about this generation. I love the backstory, I love the ability, and it is so cute!

Years
Mimikyu easily became one of my favorite Alolan Pokemon since its reveal. Its design is really cute, albeit the dark backstory. It's also pretty useful in competitive battling with its ability, desguise.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Jun 21, 2017
Mimikyu...
I have some theories about this weird - but cute ? - ghost/fairy type pok?mon.
First, it hates Pikachu. That's what we learn in the episode 4 of the Sun/Moon anime. So, why this pok?mon is disguised in a Pikachu?
Here's the answer: Everything this pok?mon wants is attention. But he is too ugly and terrifying that no one even can see him without dying... So he wears a Pikachu disguise.. Totally undiscovered -_-
"Its actual appearance is unknown. A scholar who saw what was under its rag was overwhelmed by terror and died from the shock" -- Pok?mon Sun Pok?dex.
But, the real theory is, what is there behind Mimikyu's disguise?
This is what it could be:
- A pok?mon that we know: For me, it's Diglett or Porygon.
Diglett: They have the same size, same eyes, they both fear sun and both learn scratch from level 1. Even if we know that Diglett have feet (in Pok?mon Mystery Dungeon it says "My feet still feel like they're walking on air"), the idea that Diglett is Mimikyu is not credible. He is not even scary..
Porygon: Porygon can take every form he likes, and it have been banned from the anime for the epilepsy crisis in Japan. And no one likes him.. He too isn't scary.

- It's an unknown Pok?mon: It's what I think. It's mentioned in the Sun Pok?dex that its form is unknown.. Maybe a Pok?mon that we will discover in the next game Pok?mon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?
What do you think about my theories? Don't forget to reply Leave a like
Kinami

Last edited:
Years
Mimikyu didn't become a part of my time like I mentioned in the speculatory period... but I still find it rather adorable! I remember there was this really adorable music video about it that made me feel so bad for it.

Ah, it's this one I think:

I think everyone wanted a Mimikyu after this song. :<

I kind of want to hug one. Sucks that it has to feel so lonely.

I think Mimikyu has that perfect balance of creepy but cute, and its backstory makes you want to feel bad for it. Shame that "Mimikyu song" never got an English dubbed version, though.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Jun 21, 2017
I just checked the Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon trailer. It's not what I expected. Mimikyu can actually fly, and its body is black... So, Mimikyu will be revealed in the future game. SO EXCITED.

Last edited:

immacksg

follow @immacksg on twitter for some rad cartoon a
Years
I mean, I loved Mimikyu enough to buy a plushie on the PokemonCenter website.
I love Ghost Types and Fairy Types, so Mimikyu's already won my heart upon reveal, but along with an adorable design, dark and depressing backstory, and general mystery on what it really looks like, I can't help but be excited whenever I see official media show off Mimikyu.

The anime's silhouette made it kinda look fish-like(?) so I'm really hoping USUM maybe shows off what hides beneath the cloth.

Back