• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2015
    Gardevoir could've gotten Friend Guard from one of your Pokemon via Trace, or it could've been Skill Swapped to it. Or maybe you were playing Hackmons and not Battlespot Doubles.

If none of those is the case, maybe report that user to a moderator.

oh right, now that I remember it I think that's what happened. haha I'm silly :T

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • MEGA SLOWBRO IS SO COOL. Except losing Regenerator completely blows. Only benefit I see of the new ability is that it prevents crit-hax on Calm Mind variants but that's so **** compared to regaining 33% HP on switch-out. I'm sure his stat boosts will more than make up for the loss of his ability though and it's not like he doesn't have access to Slack Off.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Just make Mega Kingdra, give it Sheer Force and I'll be a happy man.

Gamefreak plz :<

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Sorry to change the subject again, but this one's about the latest Pokemon World Championships. Se Jun Park from Korea won the whole thing using a Pachirisu as one of his team members. That's right, a Pachirisu. Here's the set for reference (source):
    -Nuzzle
    -Super Fang
    -Follow Me
    -Protect
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/156 Def/100 SDef (?)
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Volt Absorb

Nuzzle spreads paralysis, Super Fang breaks down bulky mons, Follow Me draws in unwanted attacks and Protect is a staple to sum this set up.

In this video, Se Jun had Intimidate support from Gyarados and Tickle support from Gothitelle to aid in tanking physical hits.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Congrats to him, the final battles seemed decently played by him. I like people who try something more unconventional in such tournaments, and you gotta admit, Pachirisu is far from the first Pokemon you'd think of for the VGC format.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    it would be a Korean, Koreans are teh best at all video games

I gotta hand it to him though, effectively utilizing a Pachirsu in the World Championships.

Years
  • I have to say, that truly is one success story of a Pokemon that would normally be considered "useless" in competitive environments. He must have had a really good strategy going with that moveset that was pretty well-thought if it managed to take him all the way.

I wonder if future VGCs could see similar success stories emerging, taking a useless Pokemon and actually making some tough strategy with it.

Years
  • So, Mawilite is officially going to the Uber tier. Bring on Thundurus.

So they did ban Mega Mawile.....

Oh joy... it seems like we are having too many Mega Evolutions getting banned to the point they won't be as fun to use anymore. But I wonder what could finally make a chance to shine in OU without the little Steel/Fairy running around.

Apparently they've got the Mega Charizards up next for suspecting. I wonder if that one's gonna get banned as well because Mega Charizard X has been quite the powerhouse.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Heh, coming back to a Mega Mawile- AND Mega Charizard X-less tier is something I'm looking forward to :p

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    What's next to go? Mega Venusaur? Mega Blastoise? Heck, let's ban Mega Tyranitar and everything else while we're at it! It's at the point that Pokémon are being PRE-BANNED (see Mega Salamence, and may also happen to Mega Altaria).

Banning Megas one by one leaves other Megas uncheckable and leads to the eventual banning of all Megas. The only solution: restore all Megas. Stick to banning legendaries.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    What's next to go? Mega Venusaur? Mega Blastoise? Heck, let's ban Mega Tyranitar and everything else while we're at it! It's at the point that Pokémon are being PRE-BANNED (see Mega Salamence, and may also happen to Mega Altaria).

Banning Megas one by one leaves other Megas uncheckable and leads to the eventual banning of all Megas. The only solution: restore all Megas. Stick to banning legendaries.
    I really doubt that Mega Venusaur and/or Mega Blastoise will get banned. I think that the next most likely things to get suspect tested are Thundurus and one or both of the Mega Charizards.

Though I don't agree with the talk of wanting to ban Pokemon that haven't been officially released yet for use; let's wait and see what exactly their stat boosts are and what other metagame changes ORAS brings. A Pokemon might look really good on paper, but might not be as good in actual play.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I really doubt that Mega Venusaur and/or Mega Blastoise will get banned. I think that the next most likely things to get suspect tested are Thundurus and one or both of the Mega Charizards.

Though I don't agree with the talk of wanting to ban Pokemon that haven't been officially released yet for use; let's wait and see what exactly their stat boosts are and what other metagame changes ORAS brings. A Pokemon might look really good on paper, but might not be as good in actual play.
    And you never know, one of those new Megas might be the thing that brings banned Megas back because they are handled by the new Mega. But from the sounds of how Smogon works, they'll instead prefer to ban the new entry because it's "clearly" more powerful than the one they already banned.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • I withhold my rant; on the grounds that I don't want to invest the effort to debate this on an equal level to how strongly I disagree with everything Smogon stands for in the pokemon community as a whole (not this site, the whole Pokemon Community).

But, I will say - Cyclone, Mega Venusaur, Blastoise, and T-tar are pretty unlikely to get banned. And just banning legends isn't something I personally agree with either, since really some legends just aren't even scary to go up against. Pre-banning is one of the most inane, ridiculous, and prophetically moronic concepts I've ever heard of.

Zekrom, is it Thundorus Incarnate or Therian they're talking about banning? And ugh. Banning mega charizards... *shakes head* What they're doing, is one by one eliminating the answers to the very problems they're trying to solve, but in turn leaving other things without answers.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Zekrom, is it Thundorus Incarnate or Therian they're talking about banning? And ugh. Banning mega charizards... *shakes head* What they're doing, is one by one eliminating the answers to the very problems they're trying to solve, but in turn leaving other things without answers.
    Incarnate, though they haven't actually said yet what's next to be suspect tested. I just think that the most likely ones next on the list for the ban hammer (cuz you know they ain't done banning stuff yet) are Thundurus-I and Mega Zard, and Mega Zard only because the fact that two of them exist which makes you play the "which Zard is it?" game, which Smogon no likey. Neither's really all that broken by themselves.

Something I've noticed is that everything this generation that has been suspect tested has been banned. Unlike last gen when Keldeo got suspected like 5 times and was never banned lol.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    But, I will say - Cyclone, Mega Venusaur, Blastoise, and T-tar are pretty unlikely to get banned. And just banning legends isn't something I personally agree with either, since really some legends just aren't even scary to go up against. Pre-banning is one of the most inane, ridiculous, and prophetically moronic concepts I've ever heard of.
    1. Shaymin was banned from the Battle Subway (Unova) in both Formes. But Blaziken was allowed. That tells you Gamefreak's opinion.

2. Regarding pre-banning, I agree with you. However, the discussion is there. That's one example from Facebook.

Professor_Jared

Mr. Fish trainer
    Years
  • My 2 cents on the whole possible Charizard X and Y suspect matter:

Charizard X and Y aren't unbeatable by any means, heck Y is extremely vulnerable to stealth rocks damage and Pokemon who carry rock moves in general and are either faster than Y or are sturdy enough to avoid getting 1 hit KOed by Y (Ex: Garchomp and Assault Vest Tyranitar).

X on the other hand gets its attack cut in half by Intimidate, and X itself can be checked and/or crippled by pokemon like Eviolite Porygon2 (Especially with Thunder Wave or Toxic), Garchomp (assuming X isn't setting up dragon dance), Rhyperior, Tyranitar, Gyarados (especially one with Thunder Wave or Rocky Helmet), Mega Gyarados, Mandibuzz, Umbreon (with foul play), Heatran, Suicune, and Multi-scale Dragonite.

Last edited:

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Something I've noticed is that everything this generation that has been suspect tested has been banned. Unlike last gen when Keldeo got suspected like 5 times and was never banned lol.

I noticed that too. I think it's because they seriously just have so many things to test due to their community pointing fingers at everything in X/Y, if they passed something up for banning, all the little smog-lings would continue to nag for another suspect test and draw it out for even longer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back