• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Uncle Phil has left the building

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
James Avery - who played Uncle Phil in TV show The Fresh Prince of Bel Air - has died.

News of the 65-year-old's death was confirmed to Sky News by his publicist.

Fellow actor Alfonso Ribeiro, who played Avery's son, Carlton Banks, in the classic 1990s comedy series, paid his tribute on his Facebook page.

"The world has lost a truly special man. I am very saddened to say that James Avery has passed," he wrote.

"Even though he played my father on TV, he was a wonderful father figure to me in life. He will be deeply missed."

http://news.sky.com/story/1189197/uncle-phil-fresh-prince-star-james-avery-dies

For once a death that pretty well affects me, considering that was one of my favorite shows at a time and I really enjoyed his character. I can't say that I loved the actor considering that was the only thing I can even recall seeing him in, but it was great while it lasted.

Outlier

I'll always remember him in that episode where he comforted Will after his father came back into his life only to leave him again. It was a powerful scene and he was a great actor.

Rest in peace.

*edit* this was the scene I was talking about. I'm sure all Fresh Prince fans remember this one. There's no doubt Will Smith stole the spotlight in this scene but James Avery was amazing here too.

Last edited:

Wazee Wynkoop

New Start!
Years
I'm really saddened, I liked Uncle Phil's character a lot and Avery seemed like a swell guy IRL from what people have said. He will be missed.

Years
I never really watched much of The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air yet never heard much about the man, I still think he was a special person in his own right. May he rest in peace.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Not only is that show nostalgic for me, but James Avery was a great actor. I know I've seen him in other things, if only cameos, but just talking about Fresh Prince alone, he really was an amazing actor. The episode Introvert mentioned is a perfect example.

It's getting difficult as we go on through the years, because we're getting to the point where celebrities we know are the ones passing away. But he will definitely be missed by many, and 65 is too early in my book to pass on. RIP, James.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
He was also Shredder from the 90's cartoon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle for anyone who grew up on that show. That's where I knew him from in my childhood, since it wasn't until I was a young adult that I watched the Fresh Prince.

He was an incredible actor in both and in all films and television shows that he did. His loss will be greatly felt. May he rest in peace.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
It's the beginning of the new year, and already we've lost a great actor. I'll always remember him for his role on Fresh Prince and TMNT; may he rest in peace.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
I was never a huge fan of Fresh Prince, like seemingly every other people in the dang world, but I do remember him being one of the best parts of the show. I honestly thought his character was better than Carlton's (hit me anywhere but my face).

R.I.P. brah, I only remember you vaguely as Uncle Phil, but you were my favorite Uncle Phil I ever knew about.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
I was a pretty big fan of Fresh Prince myself, and I can honestly say he will be missed dearly.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I was so sad to hear this the other day! D:
He was probably my 3rd. favorite character on the show, and it sucked to see him die at a pretty young age. RIP man.

Back