• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Last Movie You Watched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Fight Club. Two hours of my life I'll never get back. Had never seen it before, had it hyped up to 11 by everyone I knew, and was very disappointed. It's a kind of bad movie masquerading as a good movie.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Fight Club. Two hours of my life I'll never get back. Had never seen it before, had it hyped up to 11 by everyone I knew, and was very disappointed. It's a kind of bad movie masquerading as a good movie.
    did you know the twist going in? regardless, I found it entertaining if I just turned my brain off because the ""satire"" is sloppy & amateurish and it's overall very psuedo-intellectual. but I mean I saw it at a time where I was getting into a lot of "classic movies" so I have a soft spot for it. it's pretty good. basically

anyway I just finished Chungking Express and it was one of the best films I've ever seen. the direction / style were absolutely beautiful and a romance about two melancholy Chinese lovelorn policemen that looks incredibly faded and has a lot of Cocteau Twins on the soundtrack was always gonna be something I'd love. definitely going to have to watch it more and check out more of the director. damn

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    ordinary people

donald sutherland was probably the best/my most enjoyed actor in this imo
    that being said timothy sutton and mary tyler moore (crazy I know) put their all into it and deserve their oscar nominations

GengyGengar

Sp00py
    Years
  • In cinema: The Fault in our Stars. The film is just as powerful and emotional as the book, and I was bawling even before halfway through. Hazel Grace was kind of an annoying character at times, though, and their
    Spoiler:

seemed really inappropriate and forced, and not believable at all.

At home: Robots. A guilty pleasure of mine, the humour and one-liners in this movie are all incredibly stupid and shouldn't be funny, but I do find them funny. Blame my immature sense of humour. The animation is really something, it looks incredible. Also Fender is my bæ.

Years
  • Maleficent was on tv last night so I finally watched it. I liked it. I thought it had great scenery and graphics as well as characters. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. 9/10 from me.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    the maze runner. it was surprisingly more violent than the hunger games and i feel as if i have too many questions to even consider watching the next movie.. i'll stick to the books. after that i watched shark tale so i could actually get some sleep.

Years
  • Batman

...the 1966 one with Adam West.

I can't think of another movie like it. It's just... kind of amazing in its strange, campy, Adam West-y kind of way. I laughed so much watching it and I've seen it several times before and knew all the jokes coming into it.

Obligatory gif:

Spoiler:

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • Django Unchained! DJANGOOOOOO (the theme song is still in my head lol) kudos to tarantino for that movie and ohgod leo that improvised part f yeah

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Ricki and The Flash:

It's your typical family feel good movie. Mother (Meryl Streep~) abandoned her family to keep with her dream of being a rockstar, misses them growing up, they resent her for it, etc. I thought it was actually pretty nice, I wasn't a fan of the beginning but I came around to it. It had it's funny moments I'll give it that. Not sure that I would recommend it to other people to watch maybe if it was a lazy movie day or something, but probably not in theaters.

7/10

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Rushmore! Unfortunately I am much less enthusiastic about it than the "!" would suggest. Thoughts on why that is the case, copied and pasted from a Skype conversation:

"it was severely okay. i think my enjoyment of it was pretty hindered by the fact that i hated the main character, regardless of if i was actually meant to hate him or not. that and the impossibility of it all - which i know is a part of it, but it wasn't a part i could appreciate i guess. again though that sort of ties into how i hated this kid yet he kept getting his own way and being sucessful, minus the weird attempts on his teacher.

also a lot of things that should have been very relevant to the plot just... weren't. no consequences for cutting that guy's brakes on his car (as his dad bailing him out of jail took all of... maybe two minutes, with no later issues?), no (major) issues settling in at this new school of his, stuff like that.

in general i kinda felt like there were a lot of potentially alright things going on, but none of it was very satisfying because... i guess i just kept flipping between "i hate this kid" and "...why?" while i was watching. incidentally there were only two really satisfying moments for me and both of them involved max getting punched in the face."

2.5/5. maccrash, who loves this film, made me do this.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Rushmore. was the last film I watched. let's talk a little bit about this Fucking film.

people tend to look at Wes Anderson's films and, depending on who they are, either chomp at the bit to see them or vomit a little. naturally, me being me, I'm the former. the things people remember his films for are their twee aesthetic and general quirkiness. that's it. what people tend to overlook is how fully-formed the characters are, how entertaining the narratives are, how fucking gorgeous the cinematography is, etc. people think that the twee-ness overshadows all of these things. in this case, people couldn't be more wrong. you know?

now, let's get to this film in particular. this was before Wes had really made a name for himself, as it were, having had only one film to his name prior to this -- the low budget, weird comedy / heist film Bottle Rocket. in the grand scheme of things, an inconsequential film. I guess. reportedly he then wrote this shit up (Rushmore, that is) and sent the script to Bill Murray, who liked it so much he said he'd do it for free. I don't think he actually did end up doing it for free, but I digress. in the lead we've got an 18 year old Jason Schwartzman probably giving the best performance of his career, if his track record / the other films of his I've seen are to be believed.

regardless, the story's kind of a now-typical Wes Anderson-type thing. the main character, Max Fischer, goes to a super preppy & ""prestigious"" high school that he's flunking out of. now, he's not stupid or anything. but he runs / is involved with some 20-25 extracurricular activities, so many that his academics are kind of. well. trash. they give him an ultimatum -- improve your grades or You're Fucked Mate. he opts for the former. unsuccessfully. he's expelled soon because he starts the demolition of a baseball diamond in an attempt to build a giant aquarium for the school. this isn't before he falls in love with a 1st grade teacher and establishes a weird relationship with Bill Murray's character, Herman Blume, a disenfranchised middle-aged industrialist who hates his kids and doesn't much care for his wife.

regardless, shit happens from there. the reasons I love this movie as much as I do are Plentiful, but first & foremost, it's easy to relate this to experiences I've had at school, with my Peers, etc, even though I like to think I'm nowhere near as much of a douche as Max is. even though none of this shit has actually happened to me it's easy to see a 15 year old Max drunkenly tell the aforementioned 1st grade teacher, Miss Cross, that he's in love with her and be able to transplant myself into that same uncomfortable situation. or when he's walking out of the elevator in slow-motion while a Who song plays, sticks his gum on the wall & brings the crate of bees into Herman's room, it feels like it's straight out of a Tarantino film or something way cooler than Wes Anderson probably could ever coax out of his actors & stories. it just works. regardless of how relatable it is. regardless of how inherently ""likely"" it is, or anything like that.

the film is mostly a comedy up until about the halfway mark when things get a bit more solemn, I guess. Max starts smoking. Herman breaks up with his wife. neither of them have seen Miss Cross in months. Max drops out of school. etc. as winter falls, Max's life takes a turn as he finds himself devoid of anyone that he could call a friend and starts working at his father's barber shop full time. the song "I Am Waiting" by The Rolling Stones soundtracks a lot of this shit. it's beautiful. then he turns himself around and writes a huge, bombastic, over-the-top play and reestablishes himself as pretty much everything he was before, which may seem unlikely or contrived or a cheesy happy ending but it reduces me to a soggy mess, like, every other time I watch it, so there's some definite power in that. Wes Anderson squeezes profound emotion out of ridiculous, 15 year old situations. this is an achievement in and of itself.

this is not a compelling write-up but I've seen this film like 7 times and it just gets better and better for me with every rewatch. I hope you watch it and love it, unlike this Fuck above me. challenge my ideas. challenge my words. tell me I'm wrong. tell me I'm stupid. don't read this. it's up to you. my favorite film of all time.

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • Last movie I watched was the recently released The Gift, and ooooooh wow, I absolutely loved it. Every passing second it just kept getting better and better, and this is my absolute favorite movie by Joel Edgerton and I just love his performance in this movie, as well as Jason Bateman and Rebecca Hall's performance. I really do not want to spoil anything about this movie, all I can say is that I love it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back