• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Has JK Rowling gone crazy

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I'm tagging this with Film mainly because it shows the most in the last Fantastic Beasts film, but she has been doing some fantastic retconning on book info for a while now and tweeting out random, bizarre trivia that I guess we now have to accept as canon like

336.png

Which, as this guy pointed out (and was what inspired this thread since it came up in my recommended), just doesn't make sense not because it's a weird and quirky wizarding fact, but why would wizards adopt our inferior muggle plumbing system if they already had a far superior way of handling their waste products that don't involve pumping their shit through pipes and congregating in a room to poop together

So what's happening to this once brilliant author who can't even seem to remember the lore of the universe she created? Crimes of Grindlewald felt like a cash grab made by someone who has never read her books before, except it was written by JK herself so what the actual fuck.

She put McGonogall in a movie set 8 years before she was even born, people can Apparate into Hogwarts now apparently and the big twist at the end of Grindelwald didn't make sense. The movie felt sloppy and a lot of it can be chalked up to her not being an experienced screenwriter, but so many plot points just don't add up or straight up contradict what she had previously written in the books.

That said, I still want to see how the rest of the Fantastic Beasts series pans out. If you're a fan of the series, do you still enjoy her more recent works?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Very annoying when authors break their own established rules like this. It would have been more fine if there was still ambiguity around things such as McGonagall's age, what prevents apparition around Hogwarts etc. But to change things like this is to give the finger to a dedicated fandom. Annoying.

That being said, Jude Dumbledore was amazing so I guess I have to watch the last movie too.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Honestly one of my dreams is to be an author that destroys their own canon just to upset the fandom. And of course you couldn't let anyone know that this was your plan all along. I guess what I'm saying is that JK is a woman after my own heart and a master troll.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
Years
That was literally the exact same "HP fact I wish I didn't know" that I was thinking of when I read the title. While I do feel that she has gone way overboard in a lot of ways, I do feel a little sympathy for her; the books have finished and the movies soon followed suit. It's very hard to let go of something you put so much time into, so she must feel that pumping out prequels and random 'facts' help keep her legacy alive. She should take a page out of Vision's book and realise that "a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts". Even the younger cast of the Harry Potter movies understood that and it's such a shame to see her spiral out of control like this.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
She's really floored me over the years, I used to love Harry Potter so much, but she keeps dragging her own franchise through so much mud, and you learn too much. It's really overkill IMO, and it just makes something that used to be so cool feel so, for lack of a better term, cringe. What's more cringe is that I think she does it to seem cool, or edgy, like all the Stars Wars facts that have released over time. Though, she does it wrong, and it's not near as dignified as how Star Wars is handled. Sure, Star Wars' canon has fans disagreeing in some ways, but at least they never came out with "Well Luke Skywalker would just shat himself when missions were long". Are you kidding me?

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Not gonna lie, I love all the crazy shit Rowling says. I hate the Fantastic Beasts movies because I find them boring, particularly the second one. At least the first FB had a lot of Newt, who I found to be so very charming, and Jacob was a welcome comedic relief. The second movie was so... Dull. No charm, hardly any Jacob or Newt, and holy crap was it slow and overstayed its welcome. But... my god, Rowling coming out with these random facts is hilarious and I love it. Thanks to Death of the Author, I don't have to listen to a word she says, and I guess that helps make it more enjoyable for me. My old Harry Potter hasn't changed a bit.

As for if she's gone insane, I guess it's hard to know if she's kidding or not, but I want to lean more on the side of author trolling. Because that sounds like fun and why wouldn't a famous author want to do that? It gives her series a revival, people start talking again (very strongly), and then they can make more movies and get more money. Seems like a win for her.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I stopped paying any attention to her after the bathroom thing. Figured it'd be best for my sanity.

Years
JK Rowling created something amazing with the world of Hogwarts and Harry Potter. And the HP films are also excellent. But she's rapidly burning through all that goodwill she accumulated by telling us these non-fact facts that nobody needed to know. You can make up your own at this stage, and I'd think them plausible, based on what she says these days.

I think she feels under pressure from fans who write to her, asking what happened to so-and-so after Harry defeated Voldemort. The correct thing to do there is to leave it open to interpretation: it's more fun to imagine what might have happened. Even the epilogue in the Deathly Hallows, where she shows the main characters married off and bringing their own kids to Hogwarts, was overkill IMO.

As for the Fantastic Beasts films, she's only creating more plotholes by trying to fill in others. Plus, those films are incredibly boring, monochrome affairs; there's no charm or colour to them. Just because the stories took place in the past, in the 1920s and 1930s doesn't mean they didn't have colour back then.

Last edited:

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
She's gone full SJW mode with retconning certain things to appease minorities. Like the fact that she was okay with a black actress playing Hermione in that one play even though Hermione was white in the books and movies (not that there's anything wrong with a black actress appearing in the play of course, it just doesn't make sense to retcon such an important character like Hermione). Then the recent Dumbledore and Grindelwald comments where she acts like they were in a relationship all along when they were young even though she had previously claimed that Dumbledore's feelings for Grindelwald were one-sided. It's just annoying how she has no respect for the canon material that she herself built.

Last edited:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
sounds like you're more needing of self-examination than ms rowling if you're frothing at the mouth about a black actress playing hermione in one interpretation of the story, as her skin colour is about as relevant to the events as whether or not aberforth really has relations with goats or not

rabies isn't a good look

User Anon 1848

If she can retroactively give Snape a big titty goth gf we cool.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
sounds like you're more needing of self-examination than ms rowling if you're frothing at the mouth about a black actress playing hermione in one interpretation of the story, as her skin colour is about as relevant to the events as whether or not aberforth really has relations with goats or not

rabies isn't a good look

No one's "frothing at the mouth", sweetie. I just find it odd that Rowling is willing to bend over backwards to support other peoples' changes to her canon: right after people began criticizing the black Hermione, she tweeted saying that "white skin was never specified" in regards to Hermione's appearance in the books, despite that being inaccurate since Hermione was described as being white on at least one occasion. My gripe is the fact that she backtracked by claiming that Hermione was never white, when she herself wrote in the books that she was. That's an obvious retcon on her part, and she looked ridiculous for trying to pretend that it wasn't.

Last edited:

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
Years
She's not crazy, she's just trying too hard to stay relevant. You could almost hear the gears turning in her head when she made that bathroom tweet, because she clearly knew that she would get a reaction by mentioning such a random and disturbing piece of trivia.

I actually loved when she revealed that Dumbledore was gay back in 2007, but now I have to wonder why she keeps going on about it as if it's important to the plot when in reality his sexual preference isn't really that integral to Grindelwald's inclusion in the new movies. It's sort of a mess how she keeps trying to be woke.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
She's really made this whole thing a joke... Look, it was okay for a little while, but it got annoying because she has been doing it more and more... She literally stated in 2007 after The Deathly Hallows was released that her answer to any more Harry Potter books was that she was unlikely to write anymore.

Back