• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Shining Opal [FULL GAME RELEASED]

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years

Pokémon Shining Opal

Back and better than ever (?)

NOTE: This is a semi-official continuation of the original work done by hacksrepairman, based on work and notes from me from 2008 to 2012.
While I have given it my blessing, I am not responsible for any of the new content, nor will I be supporting it into the future.
Please refer to hacksrepairman's blog for more information.

Story:

Welcome to the world of Rinto!

You are a young person living in Goldenrod City. To be a Pokémon Trainer has always been your dream, and now it's FINALLY going to come true on your tenth birthday. A new professor, who specializes in Pokémon genetics, set up his lab in a far-away place called Lake Ziller. Your mom is finally letting you get your first Pokémon, a choice between three Fire-type Pokémon, so you get on a boat and head to Lake Ziller. Once you get there, however, there are a few problems... You're late, a lost passenger and a package at the Pokémon Mart delay your arrival at the lab even further, and you have no idea where the lab is in the first place!

As you finally make it into the lab, you go down the stairs. Suddenly, some kid comes in to get HIS Pokémon an entire day early! Somebody else had arrived before you and taken the Charmander, and then this new kid steals away Cyndaquil! Torchic is the only Pokémon left now, so you go and take it. Suddenly, the kid challenges you to a battle, after which you proceed to leave town. Suddenly, there's a FLASH and your Torchic's been replaced by some unknown Pokémon, but, seeming as the Professor ran out of the lab right past you, you have to continue.

As you leave Lake Ziller, you encounter somebody from an organization you'd never heard of. Presumably, they were sent to Lake Ziller to steal that strange Pokémon you had, but they run away after they get beaten. You didn't know that the evil team will do anything to get that Pokémon, including some very un-evil-team-ish things. Not only this, there are many more things that will sidetrack you from your Rinto Pokémon League quest than just a bunch of crazy people.

Insane twists in the plot that even I didn't expect (because I didn't write them), cameo appearances by random people, saving the real world from a catastrophe (as well as the Pokémon world, obviously), and some odd times when you just aren't yourself are a few of the crazy things that happen to you on your journey throughout the region of Rinto.

Base:

What you need to patch this to

Based on Pokémon FireRed (U)

Features:

Why do you want to play this?

• The new Rinto region!
  • Mikachu!
  • New rivals!
  • Fresh new gym challenges!
  • Interactive storyline (whoa nelly!)
  • ASM'd to death (and then un-ASM'd to fix bugs)!
  • Visit other regions from your favorite generations (kinda?)!
  • And the list goes on (but the list also stops here because I have no idea what's in this game anymore)!

Screenshots:

Gaze upon them and weep!

01.png
02.png
03.png

04.png
05.png
06.png

07.png
08.png
09.png

10.png
11.png
12.png

13.png
14.png
15.png

Progress:

How far can you go?

You can play the entire game from beginning to end right now! WOWZA!

Bugs/Glitches/Oddities:

What people don't want

We don't currently know of any bugs in the hack!
Please report any bugs you find in this thread.

Credits:

Who did what

Sierraffinity - Programming, some art, testing, etc...
hacksrepairman - Finishing the hack (damn!)
jiangzhengwen - R button world map and double battle system fix
thctbm - Testing
Fangking Omega - New tiles
Clonex25 - GSC music remixes
HackMew - XSE and some engine modifications
UltramasterBDX - DPPt Style Textbox
Mastermind_X - Jukebox

If I forgot anything, please let me know!

Downloads:

What you came here for

All patches, old and new, can be downloaded at DoMoreAweso.me.

Last edited:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
If I were you the first thing I would do probaly would be work on that title screen
I would take the off the letters you ripped off like the (version)
and how you wrote shining opal it isnt very good looks like you were in a hurry...
anyways you need a lot og work on the title screen....

Sierraffinity

Years
like ive said b4 wanna join?
Huh? What do you mean? Do you want to join my team? If so, what do you want to do?

If I were you the first thing I would do probaly would be work on that title screen
I would take the off the letters you ripped off like the (version)
and how you wrote shining opal it isnt very good looks like you were in a hurry...
anyways you need a lot og work on the title screen....
Un-LZ.GBA doesn't work correctly, so that was the best that I could do. Sometimes after I repoint it and all, it doesn't give me the Ptr changed box and I go forward and back and it's back to where it was before.

Last edited:
Years
looks nice but could make a better name for Mikachu if not doesent matter
cant wait til a beta or alph or whats it call XD

mrpwnageisme

I am teh smexyest
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 26, 2008
Huh? What do you mean? Do you want to join my team? If so, what do you want to do?

Un-LZ.GBA doesn't work correctly, so that was the best that I could do. Sometimes after I repoint it and all, it doesn't give me the Ptr changed box and I go forward and back and it's back to where it was before.

no you wanna join mine lol

Sierraffinity

Years
No thanks. I have too much trouble with my own hack. Maybe after I finish.

New Screenshots are up
Progress Report: 2%
First Beta coming up soon!

BETA 1 IS FINALLY OUT!!!

Download it from the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

☆Patched☆

Is a Death Note and Bleach Fan
Years
Hey hey. I could be a spriter.

Anyway, here's a review.

Title screen looks odd. You have the Pokemon logo, then these small letters.

The colors are a bit odd.

Anyway, you may want to re-do Mikachu's sprite.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
No thanks. I have too much trouble with my own hack. Maybe after I finish.

New Screenshots are up
Progress Report: 2%
First Beta coming up soon!

BETA 1 IS FINALLY OUT!!!

Download it from the thread.

Don't double or triple post, please. Use the Edit Button. You're allowed to double post when you have updates for your hack, but only when the posts are long.

~Undefined~

Aspiring Pokémon Master...
Years
i played the beta... It was pretty good, but having two gyms in the first two towns probably isn't the best. I noticed a few mistakes/bugs in the game
-On route 1 there is a few squares of land that you can't walk through
-the bug catcher that doesnt battle that is walking around in the grass beneath a house in route 2 misspells "sorry". Instead he says "soorry".
-On route 2 nearer to the bottom, there is a tree above a short fence that you can walk through half of the tree.

Thats all I noticed.
I loved Mikachu, even if it is a bit cheesey. I can't wait for the next beta.
~undefined~

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Years
sweet the betas out i take it we can use mikachu???

Yes, Mikachu is your starter.

i played the beta... It was pretty good, but having two gyms in the first two towns probably isn't the best. I noticed a few mistakes/bugs in the game
-On route 1 there is a few squares of land that you can't walk through
-the bug catcher that doesnt battle that is walking around in the grass beneath a house in route 2 misspells "sorry". Instead he says "soorry".
-On route 2 nearer to the bottom, there is a tree above a short fence that you can walk through half of the tree.

Thats all I noticed.
I loved Mikachu, even if it is a bit cheesey. I can't wait for the next beta.
~undefined~

Ok. Thanks for the bug report. I'll add it.

The Gyms are too near, and that's what you need to change.

The OW Sprites aren't that good, especially with the Hero/Heroine,

which I only see they have Palette Changes.

I'm not good at OWs, and they're not simple Pallette changes. I went through EVERY VARIATION of the sprite and changed what I needed to change because back when I started this, I didn't know that all that could be edited with simple HEX.

Bugfix version Beta 1.02 will come out shortly. Look for it!

P.S. Thanks to Blazichu to movin g my thread here from the Scrapbox and adding that i had Beta 1 released.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
It's been a few days since someone has posted here, and I played the beta.
I must say, I loved it! ^^
Every script was really cool, and, though Mikachu seemed like a legendary..it's experience gain was hard, but the stats seemed similar to those of the average level 5 starter, which was good! ^^
The sprite was a mere edit, with the ears, and a nice mixture on the sprite between pink and yellow would've been cool too, but, that's okay.

I laughed when I just saw a ton of Police men every where saying the same thing! xD
I look forward to playing the next beta, and hopefully you haven't given up.

Well, good luck~

Sierraffinity

Years
It's been a few days since someone has posted here, and I played the beta.
I must say, I loved it! ^^
Every script was really cool, and, though Mikachu seemed like a legendary..it's experience gain was hard, but the stats seemed similar to those of the average level 5 starter, which was good! ^^
The sprite was a mere edit, with the ears, and a nice mixture on the sprite between pink and yellow would've been cool too, but, that's okay.

I laughed when I just saw a ton of Police men every where saying the same thing! xD
I look forward to playing the next beta, and hopefully you haven't given up.

Well, good luck~
No, I haven't given up. I'm still currently working on it.

~Undefined~

Aspiring Pokémon Master...
Years
Oh good, it's nice to see some more posting, I was worried a bit then. ^^

Hope it's going well.

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
Years
Hi! I just played the beta... It's really good! I'm no expert on anything when it comes to hacking so I can't really give much feedback... But I liked it a lot, and can't wait for the next release!

I found a tile that I can't walk through that I should be able to. Maybe you wanna check it out - it's the one my character is looking at in the following screen shot.

tileglitchinpokemonshiningopal.png

axelrulezyeah

Spriter
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2012
hey i played the beta and it was great but il tell u some things i would change
1.the first pokemon gym should be in the town after where you placed it with the gyms pokemon at least lv 9 - 10
2.the mikachu sprite which i sent you
3.put more encounters and only the first evo of pokemon in the first few grass patches.
4.besides this it was a great hack and i loved it
ps if you liked my mikachu can you let me try and remake the rival sprite for you
pps oh and can you please tell me the unlz number for the hero back sprite
thanks

Back